Masters Running

The First of September, 2017 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (3.1 morning TM miles + 2 evening miles = 5.1)
    Dave (4 pretty good morning miles in foggy 63°.)
    Henrun (4.2 speedy morning miles at the local reservoir)
    Pfriese (5 morning park loop miles)
    Twocat (4 morning walking miles with Mariposai monologue)
    Holly (7 miles in breezy 67°.)
    Tomwhite (50 min pool run with borrowed belt and stay-put trunks)
    Tet (5 misty morning miles)
    Mike (5.9 miles before and between XC meet)
    Marj (4 morning miles, starting a long day)
    Evanflein (11.1 trail miles)

Good luck with the rain, RunnkerKSA.

Yeah, Dave, should'a tried the naked cowbell approach...

I'm glad the cycling cross-training is helping your running, Henrun. Isn't that the way it is supposed to work?

Did'ja get a discount on the crown, Tammy?

Nice that you got to run and catch a XC race, Pfriese.

I hope the MAT work keeps working for you, Fatozzig. I know what you mean about wanting him to do whatever he needs to do to make the pain stop.

I'm glad that you're making good progress, Twocat, and I sure hope the surgeon is right about you being cancer-free. Thanks for not adding any photos to your post about your surgery adventures!

Wow - Tomwhite - 11 year of poolrunning! Impressive!

Weird weather, Tet.

Never had a daughter, Mike, so I can't offer any advice. So listen to the goddesses here who know a think or two about growing up female.

I agree with Marj that having a good cuppa coffee is the only way to start the morning right. Never had a French press, but I like our drip coffee maker a lot, except when we clog it (which is a rare event).

Nice work on the meeting, Evanflein. Maybe your boss is suggesting that you work on your own 5-10 year strategic plan? What are you going to do when you leave that place in 3 years or so?

We've got company arriving today and tomorrow for the weekend, so we've got some meal prep to do today: sausage & seafood paella for dinner tonight, with maybe a chocolate whiskey cake for dessert. Lobster fest tomorrow, and maybe burgers & dogs on Sunday. But first, I have a ton of work to do today, so I'd best get at it.

Good RW workout this morning in 52° with a 12-14 mph breeze, and with a new pair of my favorite Topo ST-2s. 6.7 miles, averaging 11:14, with a couple of miles in the upper 10s - a quicker than average workout for me.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

..mikeE//....since we all know Teenage Boys' Job is doing StoopidStuff, it's a Wonder any of us were left........

==========

Whonker Storms

tore thru Middle Tennessee last night,

hoping KSA is ok,

our Plateau saved us from the worst of it

.....oh, ps.....

.....................and having 11-years of PoolRunnig is like having 11-years of WatchingPaintDry.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

4 miles this morning. Rain forced me to use the treadmill at the gym. I took my phone so I could watch/listen to a podcast and about a mile into the run I reached out to increase the treadmill speed.  I accidentally snagged the headphone cord with my hand, knocked my phone down, which landed on the treadmill belt and shot out the back.    The phone was fine and I continued on, but it was comical moment.

Having 2 daughters, I can see how they physically changed during high school in ways that could have affected their running if they had been runners.  So, although being a guy, I throw my support behind mikeE's observations.  At least temporarily.  Unless or until there is an all out revolt and then I'll switch my position quicker than a politician.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Staking out the dangerous ground on top of the fence, Dave?

Boy, too bad you're not on my way north, Jay.  wouldn't mind dropping in on that meal.

Finally broke through my total lack of ambition this morning, and made it 3.1 around the lake.  50° felt so nice.  40's in Maine over the weekend.  to quote a famous poster "oboyoboyoboy!!".

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Thanks, Jay.   I, too, was very involved with youth running when my son was a young runner.  I watched this happen to a lot of the girls.  They were super stars, puberty hit and they totally stalled.  Led to serious eating disorders in a couple of cases, despite the best efforts of the coaches.

Harvey has made it to middle Tennessee, and we had a lot of rain and high winds.  No damage in my particular area, and nothing like Texas, but there were tornado warnings north of Nashville.  I didn't want to deal with any of that so did a short  2.8 miles on the treadmill this morning.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Nothing much to say this morning. No Harvey influence here except prices at the gas pump (and hopefully not any actual shortages!).

Very cool -- just over 50 -- so it called for my first long-sleeved run of the season as I went out under sunny skies for a 4-mile out-and-backer. Looking forward to a quiet domestic holiday weekend with a number of household chores on the docket.

Hope everyone here has a good weekend!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

TammyinGP

Even though I didn't need to fill up on gas, I did today anyways because our gas prices are slowly starting to creep up already and they'll go up more in the upcoming weeks I'm sure. 

Ran 5k on the TM last night to give me 80.7 for the month. I really need to be in the 80's for a change. now if I can just get up to the 90's or better yet, have at least one 100+ month for the year!

Mike - although maybe not tactfully worded as it seemed to have ruffled a few feathers, I get what you are saying about girls running. I've seen it myself. Last year one my 8th grade XC runners ran slightly slower times than she did as a 7th grader and despite her training, her drive, etc. she just couldn't beat her 7th grade PR. Body-wise, she looked more like a 10th grader and was definitely going through the body changes earlier than most 8th graders do. A very tall, slender, built like a runner body, but the hormones, the hip changes, etc. just slowed her down. Likewise, our top HS runner a few yrs ago, hit a plateau and started getting slower once she hit 10th grade.  She was no longer a top finisher and her times were slower - and not due to undertraining or laziness at all. Just her body changes. So I get what you are saying and have seen it myself in female runners between that 14-16 yr age range. 

Long weekend ahead and wish we had something fun planned. We wanted to do a day rafting trip with my brother and his GF, but smoke has nixed that. I guess I could go buy a bunch of farm fresh corn and can that because inside stuff is about that will be happening with our sucky air quality.

Tammy

Tramps

Checking in to see if Mike had extricated himself from his predicament.  (Where's that popcorn-eating emoji when you need it?)

19 miles on a cloudy, blustery day.

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

Nice work on the meeting, Evanflein. Maybe your boss is suggesting that you work on your own 5-10 year strategic plan? What are you going to do when you leave that place in 3 years or so?

Three years or so? Try 2 years and 2 months at the earliest, 2 years and 8 months if I wait till the following spring. Not that I'm counting or anything. And I've got a lot of things I want to do, a lot of which I probably could do now but work eats up so much of my prime time in the day and week I just don't do it. I really want to do more volunteering, both for our running club and some local rescue organizations (cats mainly, but dogs too). And there's lots more too. As one of our former attorneys said when he came by recently, retirement gives you the gift of time. You are finally the one deciding what you do, when. I can't wait.

Dave, I've done that with my iPod before. Really lucky it didn't break as it was in our garage on the concrete floor. Just so happened there was a puddle from melted snow off the car and wouldn't you know it, the iPod landed right in that puddle. I guess that's not a risk at the gym.

I can't stand it how gas prices jump up at the news of a refinery shut down or whatever. The gas in that tank at the gas station was there before, so ITS cost isn't higher. The gas that will replace it a few days/weeks later will be higher. But nope, they jack up the price just hearing a shortage is coming. Our gas is already some of the highest in the nation, best price around here has been $2.85 a gallon for a long time. Glad we filled up the truck a few days ago.

My mom used to say that about the girls swim team: they're all torpedoes till they start getting hips. But seriously, some girls obviously are still running strong and doing well, so I don't know that it's a blanket gender thing. But I always balk at those.

Will get out for about 5 easy miles later this afternoon. Too many meetings this afternoon. Who schedules meetings at 3 pm on Friday afternoons before a 3 day weekend? Like I said, see paragraph #1 above.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks jay.

Five miles in the sun, . . . again, . . . still, . .

etc., basically ever since June 17.

Back to more of the same of Mr. Sol after yesterday morning’s micro-mist only lasted briefly here-and-there around town. However, enough to clear the air of the smoke from forest fires all around Seattle (I guess you can’t have a forest fire in city) for a morning fiver to start off the month with rare views to Mt Baker 112 miles to the north, Mt. Rainier 105 miles to the south, 70 miles across Puget Sound to Mt. Olympus in the Olympics and, of course, the Cascades less than 30 miles right behind us to the east.

Fortunately, whatever MikeE is talking about didn’t affect my sister and her friends on the high school ski team who just kept getting better and better. However, nothing in a million years would have prepared us for what was going to happen twenty years later, . . . and then to my DD too, but, fortunately, they, and we all, survived. No wonder getting old seems so uneventful.

ps Erika - I'm still astounded that some people up there cycle all year long, . . . .

next thing you know, they'll be some crazies running in the winter too!

pps  starr - property pumped tires seemingly to the breaking point are another reason why it's good for triathletes to arrive as early as possible in the morning, . . . with their own pumps or take advantage of local bike shop volunteers to do the honors more to the breaking point than I'm willing to do.

Image result for mt. rainier from seattle . . . Image result for Mt. Baker from Seattle

Image result for images Olympic mountains from seattle.. . . Image result for cascade mountains from seattle

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E. I do suspect that girls are more likely to see their relative athletic skills change more than boys in their teenage years. (That means up and down.) But, I would suggest trying to inculcate in them a so what view of the whole thing. With incredibly high probability for even the very top runners you will ever train, or attend your local schools or live in your state, running will never be more than a hobby. Other than a very, very few individuals nobody makes a living by running. Or playing football or baseball or anything else. If one of your team slows down due to changes just ask them what was the prize money for coming in say 5 people ahead? Zero? What was their prize money? Zero. See its a tie and it really is. When some jerk is clearly proud of having bested me in a race and makes sure I know it, I always point out I got the same prize money he did: nothing.

DW and I went out for a 4 mile walk this afternoon. Gorgeous day here for it. Yesterday I had a major eating breakthrough. I pureed some fruit, put it in regular yogurt and managed to slowly eat it. First non-liquid meal I have had in a week!  Well, you have to start somewhere. Doctor cleared me to run a short distance tomorrow. DW thinks that means 3 miles. But I do not have a 3 mile loop in my quiver, the shortest is 4. What to do, what to do? Oh I know!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Checking in to see if Mike had extricated himself from his predicament.  (Where's that popcorn-eating emoji when you need it?)

...naw,

let's make him Sweat a little longer......

I DID however

remember them interviewing some Olympic Gymnasts

who were saying that that ''changing'' stuff

was making it more difficult for them to compete

(,ps,,,,Disclaimer...........

............,,,,just remember

I have NEVER been a Female Gymnast,

and

I'm just repeating what they said)

.............there was that one time I woke up dressed like Nancy Reagan.......

=================

...15-min xbike standing

and

40-min PoolRunning with Ski-belt type Flotation belt,

which actually seems to make the work-out harder................Me Likee

.............good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

a puddle from melted snow off the car and wouldn't you know it, the iPod landed right in that puddle. I guess that's not a risk at the gym.

Heck, that isn't even a risk anywhere near where I live now.

Marathon Maniac #957

Ted - beautiful pictures!

Twocat - well said!

Erika - stop talking about this retirement stuff, you're making me jealous....

This morning I ran 3 miles in 57 degrees with a blustery wind that made it seem colder, then drove DD to school and headed to the YMCA to swim, only to find the pool closed for the weekend (annual cleaning).  I had forgotten about that.  So, back home where I did about 30 minutes of weights and called it done.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

catwhoorg

Labrat

7 on the Tm once DW got home.

Did get an E-mail from school about RSV being in baby boys class.

he did go to the doc, but I didn't get that E-mail until after.

Doc found an ear infection, and his lungs were clear (she did check them)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18