Masters Running

No Tuesday daily, yet? 2/18 (Read 36 times)

Mariposai

Good morning gang.

Wishing safety to our East Coast friends.

9 miles this morning under the light of the moon. Went out at 5 am.I did not even need to use my headlamp since the moonlight was so bright.

Cheers,

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

Mornin' Mariposai and everyone else!

Nice moonlit 9er, Mariposai!

At 10:30am, I'm surprised I'm the first second one posting today. I'm done with my 8am and 9am meetings, and am looking forward to the next one!

HERE are the results from the men's 1-mile racewalk at this year's Millrose Games in NYC. I don't know how they can walk that fast...

I was a little (OK, a lot) slower on my workout at 4 o'dark this morning. Still I had 5.6 good tempo RW miles on mostly-clear roads, and in 5F temps. Yesterday, the wind was whipping across the pond that is across the street from us, so the road there is covered with drifted snow. We're supposed to have 3-5" more coming this afternoon and this evening, so the whole road will be covered again by morning.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM #7877

How soon to register for a race? Myrtle Beach offering $60 for 2015 marathon if signed up before 2/28/14. Thats a big savings. But I've never registered for a race 1 year in advance.

Philippians 4:13.

King of PhotoShop

Those were their per mile times Jay?  Omigosh!  And btw, that was a funny quip yesterday on my FB page.

Well, today I made the decision and the surgery is now scheduled for May 13.  Now I have lots of client shuffling of dates to do. My thinking is I just tell them I'm booked solid for May and June and have them schedule around those months so that I don't starve to death.

This is race week for me, so as all of you know, it's both a lazy time and an anxious time, as one gets in a bit of work here and there, but also dwells on whether each workout is too much or too little.   Today I ran 3+ miles with two of them at MP.

Since the beginning of the year I have been sort of coaching a woman, 40 years old, to run her 2nd ever marathon, which she did in Galveston this past Sunday.  Her first one was a disaster, 5:30 or so and she had an awful time of it.  She was determined she would do this one right.  I've been taking her out on Sundays every two weeks for 20-milers. We did several of them.

You will recall that she is the one I told she couldn't do an extra mile, being a girl and all, and she charged through that 21st mile like an animal.  Well, her goal was to break 5 hours and she ran a 4:40, so I am very happy for her.  Spareribs

wildchild

Carolyn

I was away for the weekend, and just now catching up here.  You've all been busy, as usual!

Ribs, best of luck with the surgery. I'm so glad you found a doctor you connect with.  Sounds like you're in good hands. Oh, and congrats to your friend for a successful marathon!

Jay, sounds like quite the party!  I don't remember the last time DH and I hosted a party - we're pretty antisocial, really.  But your parties sound like fun, and it sounds like you make sure everyone feels included.

Posie, your Greek dinner sounds amazing, and how sweet of EP to help you all day!  He's a keeper for sure.

I know there were more shout-outs that I wanted to make but I forget what they are...

We went rock climbing and camping in southern Colorado over the weekend with some friends of DH's.  I was a bit skeptical about camping in February, but it was actually pretty nice.   Highs near 60 and lows around 30.  It got nice and warm climbing on the south-facing cliffs, and we took firewood, so sitting around a campfire in the evenings was nice.  My DH suffers from seasonal depression, especially when it's cold and windy for days on end, so this trip really helped lift his spirits.  And he's scheduled a two-week climbing trip to an island in Greece in March!  He was originally planning to go to Mexico but the drug violence near the climbing area is pretty bad, so he decided on Greece instead.  I'm staying home to work and to watch the doggies, but I'm planning a trip to Arizona in mid-March for a 50k race in Monument Valley, so I'll get my fix of warm weather.  I'd love to go to Greece, but don't really want to go climbing for 2 weeks.

I haven't run since last Thursday because the top of my left foot was sore after my last few runs, but it feels better now and I'll get out for a test run today at lunchtime.  Some folks have suggested that I should loosen the laces on my shoe and see if that helps.  I hope it's that simple - I was worried about a stress fracture, but it didn't hurt to climb, so I hope it's okay.

Happy trails, everyone!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Henrun

Got 5 miles in before the snows returned. Had our 6 year old GD sleep over and Marj wore her out yesterday playing in the snow. I'm not sure who enjoyed it more. This morning Marj drove her to the science museum rather than take the subway. Hope she makes it home ok in the snow in our snow loving Suburu.

C-R

Nice moonlight run Mariposai.

Yowza Jay. My fastest mile in the past couple of years was 5:50 and that would have had me hold on for third. Very speedy those racewalkers.

Coach Ribs! Good luck with the surgery route. Your research was solid and led you to the proper path.

Union - 1 year is way too far out for me. Anymore I won't run it unless it has race day registration except for a goal race or something requiring no travel. I guess it shows how popular running has become which is both a good and challenging thing.

Rock climbing in Greece. Wild you guys have the coolest vacations.

So a quick 7 at lunch. Picking up the paces now.

I started watching the show Fleming on BBC America. Its about Ian Fleming pre James Bond days. Very interesting actors and characters. A bit racy at times so not for our kids but still a good show. Saw some ads for Ripper Street which looks equally good. May have found a new channel. Oh and Vikings is back next week. My DVR will be working overtime.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TammyinGP

good afternoon all.

guess I don't have much to say but wanted to pop in and say hello to everyone.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Afternoon!

IBUB – don’t know, but if it’s a race you want to do, why not? No matter when you register there is always a risk that something will come up.

Ribs – That sounds like a good plan. Also, great job on the coaching!

Carolyn – 60’s in February sounds great to me…

It was very icy in our town this morning and the kids had a 2-hour school delay, in hopes the sun and warming temps to melt the icy roads. I worked from home a bit, then put my daughter on the bus and went to work. About 15 minutes later I got this text from her:

“I am scared a little ‘cause we tried to go up a big hill and we’re stuck in the middle of an ice patch and she can’t go up but if she lets go of the brake we will fall.”

A minute later she texted this:

“Get ready to sue.”

In the end, another bus came to get them and took them to school while the stuck bus was dealt with.

7 miles for me on the TM this morning.

I’m having some heel pain on the right foot that concerns me – insertional Achilles tendonitis if the Internet is to be believed. It’s not too bad yet, but something I am keeping an eye on.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I am sooooooooo sick!!  I have done nothing but sleep on and off since Sunday - well, I did make a pot of veggie soup Sunday and managed to wash my sheets and shower yesterday, but really nothing else!!  I finally gave in and went to the dr today for a prescription cough med and some decongestant -- I cant even remember the last time I took medicine Sad   So - HELP - what do you do when your training for a marathon gets derailed??

denise

mrrun

here's the GD enjoying the snow.  She's back home now and we're enjoying the peace, quiet and wine (and missing her a tiny bit...)

Deez - I didn't run 3 weeks before I ran NYC marathon because I had such bad shinsplints - could barely walk even, lots of PT & I did ok.  Let yourself recover and you'll do super.  If you go out too soon, it could take longer to recover and be on the road again.

Wildchild - on some shoes, I have to change the lacing pattern to prevent top-of-foot pain.

we're thinking of wash dc in march - greece or arizona sound much more exciting!

marj

C-R

Nice pic mrrun. Enjoy the wine.

Wild _ I use the Lydiard lacing method and swear by it. Its about halfway down the page on this site.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Holly S. your DD is a real crackup!  I like her spirit.

Sorry, I am at work and should well, work.  So that is it for shout outs for now.  No running for me today. But on the plus side my oven which has been broken for a month is finally repaired!  On the minus side due to an evening commitment at work I had to drive over in heavy snowfall.  The highways moved at a crawl.  It took forever to get in.  At least it is cleared up now so that when I get to drive home at around 8pm the roads should be clear. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Holly - Take it from someone who ignored the AT pain for too long - be aggressive in dealing with it.  I let mine get so bad it took me out for about 3 months and I'm still dealing with issues on the left 10 months later.

I haven't looked at the weekend's posts, but I'm happy to see you all here today.

Carolyn - The Hub is pretty anti-social and sometimes it drives me crazy.  We'll see someone at a store or whatever who he knows through AA, we'll stop and chat, and when we walk away, he tells me what a great guy or gal he/she is.  Me: "Then why don't we invite them to dinner?"  I never get anywhere with that request.

Ribs - Making a decision must bring some mental relief.  And congrats to your runner!

Saturday's 16-mile LR kicked my fan-danny, and although I plugged along and got through Sunday's 10, my legs - okay, my whole lower half (including my rear) - is feeling tired.  Since I'm running a "race" (which is really  just an expensive supported long run) on Saturday, Coach has dialed it back this week and will the following week, as well.  I keep having irritation in the back and sides of my left heel that I'm working on, but it just doesn't want to go away.  I feel like all I do when at home at night is massage my calves to try and loosen them up.

Anyway - I'm still over 3 months away from the big stuff starting, so the smart move is going to be to take it easy when need be.  I'm suppose to do 5 EZ today, but we'll see how things feel when I get off work.  It may be just a good power walk instead of running.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I am sooooooooo sick!!  I have done nothing but sleep on and off since Sunday - well, I did make a pot of veggie soup Sunday and managed to wash my sheets and shower yesterday, but really nothing else!!  I finally gave in and went to the dr today for a prescription cough med and some decongestant -- I cant even remember the last time I took medicine Sad   So - HELP - what do you do when your training for a marathon gets derailed??

Deez--obviously not an expert, but you're almost two months out from Boston, so I think your training is going so well that you can afford to take it REALLY easy for a week and really get over whatever has beat you up. Even better, it's not an injury.  I can only hope some of the others that know will confirm.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.