Masters Running

Dude this is the FRIDAY Thread: 10/13 (Read 45 times)

Are you allowed to post here yet? Is it Friday? No? Go to the Thursday thread you rule breaker!!!

Given the differences in dates and times I am going to post this a few times. If anyone wants to follow me along on my marathon route you can do so via the Melbourne Marathon Festival app. My bib number is 289. The app should work on either an Apple or Android phone. I will also post other links later on that should track me at more than the timing mats once I figure out what they are.The race starts at 7:00am Melbourne time on Sunday (Melbourne Sunday so that will be your Saturday). To give you a better idea of what that means it starts Saturday at 4:00pm in the east coast and 1:00pm on the west coast.

mrrun last night my DW and I went to the penguin parade to see the fairy penguins come in from the ocean for the evening. Very, very cool! They are soooo cute! Especially when they decide to "sprint" and start flapping their wings while waddling as fast as they can. Alas, no pictures are allowed. We can thank idiots that forget (both accidentally and on purpose) to turn off their flashes for that.

coastwalker I hope you had a great meetup with evanfleinmrrun and Henrun and the long missing rtravers.

Tramps better than winter! At least winter in New England.

Opus77 yea, math skills, or lack thereof in my students isRun the bane of my existence. Or at least teaching. I am also stunned at how few know how to write computer code. It seems they have just been using computer related equipment to play games with their whole lives.

Jlynne I would not blame poor decisions about the cataract removal. I might blame poor surgical skills. I know tons of people that have had cataracts removed without a problem. And then there was my dad who they botched up by not reading the pressure in his eyes prior to operating. As to how long it took to adjust to the time change, I will let you know as soon as we do!  Four days and counting.

HopesMom enjoy the beach! Where?

Henrun there is more and more evidence indicating running on synthetic knees is actually good for them. (They will last longer.) You might want to look at it if your doctor gives you a hard time.

tetsujin209 weather looks pretty good from here though race day. Low 60s for the high and dew points in the upper 40s. My tongue, alas, is still not recovered and it is a good thing I cancelled my talks. Replacing your own window?! You are the man! I sure could not do it.

RunnerKSA glad you are fine post fall. They can be nasty.

tomwhite I have seen a number of rowers from Melbourne University's teams in the Yarra these past few days. I tell you they can compete with anyone on body fat counts.

mch001 well stop lurking and start posting!

DAW60 stories like yours are so great to read!

Dave59 better to be too busy at work than not busy enough.

TammyinGP I hope the relay raises a lot of money!

Ran my last pre marathon run this morning. It was going to be 4 but turned into 5.   It would have been 4 but I had to go by the expo area to see what it looked like before it opened. Here is the relive, which has a few pictures from the trip on it: https://www.relive.cc/view/g14840472976.

Below are two pictures of the expo area about 15 minutes before its official Friday opening. You can decide for yourself if it was worth doing an extra mile to see it before I went back later in the day to get my bib.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

I'm taking a rest day Friday so I'm going to post that now on Thursday....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm taking a rest day Friday so I'm going to post that now on Thursday....

Dave - me too.
        Besides, though it probably won’t last through the night, it’s finally trying to rain here in Seattle for the first time since June 17 and I'll have a excuse to adhere to running rule no. one at least one time this year.
        Besides, I forgot to join the celebration for tramps having someone around from now on with nothing else to do but to tend to his every want and need during his recovery.
        ps posie - now that your DS is back from his year in Macedonia in the Peace Corps, trying to talk him into doing another triathlon with me as we did four or five years ago without any swimming or bike training and minimal running, if any, should be even more of a cinch than trying to talk twocat out of running in the rain, . . . . as long as your DS gets to wear his beloved Chacos for all three legs like last time.  I wish they had underwater event photos showing him swimming while wearing Chacos.  Is he workin’ or back in graduate school at the UW or somewhere?

pps posie - please consider doing it with us too. Even if you follow our example and don't train for it, I can guarantee you'll be way ahead of me after the swim.   
        ps 2cat - breaking the cracked old window out that’s on the ground floor not needing a ladder and using a can of new putty to replace it with a new pane has nothing to do with knowing how to do it. <<<(cheapskate/cheapskate)>>>   Besides, I could always have asked enke.

pps 2cat - sorry about the continuing tongue recovery- but glad that missing the speech was the right thing to do.  Is running okay, though?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks, Twocat and good luck!

3.1 miles for Friday.  Slept decently (finally).  Discovered what I hurt in the fall-  bruise on the inside of my leg by my knee.  I must have jammed the other knee into it.  Not too bad, fortunately.

Happy Friday and weekend, y'all.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

RunnerKSA - Glad the fall didn't have worse consequences.

I woke up with a migraine today, which is now slightly better with some ibu but not gone entirely, so, no run today.  Maybe some weights and core if it lets up.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

for all the newbies - RA boston meeting from left to right: evanflein, rtravers, mrruns, coastwalker, evanflein DH  photo by henrun

3 glorious miles around reservoir in IRC

fleet feet to w/e racers!

marj

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Guess you answered Tet's question on learning the language--the intro should be "Mate, this is the Friday thread".   BTW we saw the fairy penguins when we were in Melbourne about 20 years ago.  Neat show!

Welcome to all the new folks.  Great to see that your'e diving right in to our forum.  I've sort of last track of who's who, so will do group greeting not to leave anyone out.

Sojourning in central CT at a plant startup.  Only working half days (ie 6-6), but somehow not finding time OR motivation to do much (any) running for the past couple of weeks.  Hope to break that string over the weekend, but not getting up to our camp until Saturday morning.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry, but no time for a recap today. It's still relatively early in the day, but I'm already behind and trying to play ketchup.

Tet - regarding your comment/thought yesterday about the potential damage to knees and hips from racewalking: It's not the frequency of foot strikes that causes damage as much as the intensity. Because racewalkers always have to have one foot on the ground (based on what the naked eye can see), the pounding with each foot strike is far less than with running - maybe 2X your weight vs. 4-5X with running. One of a number of reasons that I wear lightweight, lightly-cushioned shoes for training and racing is that my foot strike is light enough that I don't really need near as much cushioning as I would if I ran all the time. The hip rotation that most racewalkers use is not painful or stressful at all, regardless of how it looks. One of the basic principles of racewalking is to stay relaxed and fluid, so the movements aren't jarring. If anything, racewalkers tend to work their hamstrings a lot harder than their joints.

Looks like Twocat is continuing to have a great time Down Under.

Sorry about the injury (RunnerKSA), and the migraine (Holly).

I had a GREAT time at the meet-up last night. Thanks to Marj & Henrun for hosting, to Evanflein and DH for making time in their adventure for this gathering, and to Robin for being great company, as she always is. I believe we talked about just about everything there is to talk about, and had a lot of laughs along the way. Marj made a great dinner, and she and Henrun kept the wine flowing, which may have helped keep the conversation flowing...

As I was enjoying the evening last night, our Seacoast Half Marathon (Nov. 12) sold out. So I shut down online registration this morning, and still have to take the link down from the race website, post that the race is full, and prepare the list of bib numbers and names (we're printing everyone's first name on their bibs this year) to be sent out for printing. Also, our beneficiary has 10 extra entries, so I'll be working with them to help set up and publicize online auctions for those who still want a (legal) way into the race.

I got to bed 2 hours later than usual last night, woke up an hour late this morning, and so only had time for a quick 2.4 miles in refreshing 39° temps.

Have a greta Friday, and I'm wishing fleet feet, tailwinds, and big grins for everyone racing this weekend!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

NIce pic of the Masters Meet-up!  Sounds like a good time.

Good luck with the marathon 2cat.  I hope running upside down doesn't negatively affect your balance.

Tet- retirement may not be all that; she's already being courted to do some consulting work.

Jay--interesting explanation of racewalking issues.  Thanks.

Opus--I'm just up the coast in VA.

Denise--hope you feel better soon.

Mike--congrats on the teams' performances. Must have been a fun day.

Mari--yeah, early retirement buy-out offer...but see my comment to Tet above.

Thanks to jlynne (good to have you back), Ray (nice to hear from you, too!), DAW and others for all the knee stories and commentary.  Definitely some food for thought there.  I'll certainly be experimenting and monitoring things as I move forward.

Today it was back to 20 miles on the bike.  The temps and humidity have let up somewhat so it felt a bit more like autumn again.  We're back in the mid-80s this weekend though. 

Have a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning all.  Just wanted to check in and see if everyone is surviving Friday the 13th.  Really tempted to run in the overcast, cool, breezy conditions, but 3 days in a row may be pushing it at this point in my recovery.  Hopefully tomorrow AM will still be cool before we head back into the 80s.

Got results of sleep study #2 (first one was inconclusive since I couldn't sleep with wires, probes, and straps all over me).  Used a sleep aid this time and got better results.  So I have moderate sleep apnea (severe when sleeping on my back) , mostly of the obstructive type, but also some incidents where the brain stopped telling my lungs to breathe (that part is scary).  I'll go next month again to see how I respond to a CPAP, but I am going to explore other options as well.

Twocat - thanks for sharing.  Looking forward to following your progress.  Goodluck!

mrrun - thanks for the pic.  I'm slowly learning about everyone here.  Takes a while for a guy who forgets his own kids and pets names on a regular basis.

stumpy - thanks for the welcome.Hopefully some of my refugee friends will jump in more frequently once they get comfortable.  Let me/us know if we commit any social faux pas - every forum kind of has its own social "norms" and personality.

Tramps - I work in Hampton several times per year.  We also camp in Williamsburg regularly.  We go there every Easter and Thanksgiving for about a week each time.

Ok, work, practice, and going to watch my Asst coach run a race.  Back late.

Be safe everyone - stay away from ladders, black cats, mirrors, etc.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Baby boy had his shots yesterday (5! count em!), and expecting him to be a little not himself today I had arranged the day off.

So far he is doing just fine, apart from a little longer naptime than usual.

Assuming DW gets home in decent time I will stretch my legs out for a short run later.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Still dreary around here, but I managed to get out for a surprisingly sproinky 4-mile run in a new pair of shoes. I traditionally like to go with a Gortex shoe in the winter season, which helps keep my feet drier and warmer. The past three pairs have been Brooks Adrenaline ASR GTX models, but this year they are not offering that variant (typical shoe company!). So I ended up getting the Brooks Ghost 10 GTX instead. I've been using Ghost 9s as my default shoe this season and that has worked out OK, so I expect the Ghost 10s to work as well. Anyway, they felt quite good this morning.

Not sure of my weekend activities, but I should be able get something in between showers.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

...70s and yet Cool today.........

40-min RC at Soccer Fields in trailboots

..............good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

DAW60

Hi masters,

4 miles on the treadmill during lunch today at 9:00 avg. The first 30 of 36 minutes were run at 5% grade for higher effort, but low impact. 9:00 pace at 5% grade gives me heart rate equivalent of <7:30 pace, while building strength in the legs. As intolerable as most people find the tm, I consider the tedium to be a good trade-off versus the pounding of the road. I am able to get some decent workouts in with less stress on the knee and hip. By the way, at my place of work (I'm an automotive engineer in metro Detroit), we have a fitness center with locker room and showers, so you'll see a lot of these lunch time runs for me during the work week.

I briefly mentioned the hip surgery I had last December after the knee surgery in November. FAI (Femoral Acetabular Impingement) is a fairly common condition that they think develops during adolescence. The neck of the femur develops some extra thickness or a bony protrusion that interferes with the hip socket under hip flexion. Over the years, repetitive contact between the femur and hip tears the labrum (ring of cartilage surrounding the hip socket). Left untreated, the cumulative damage from the repetitive stress of just walking around, climbing stairs and other daily activities can lead to hip replacement. I was first diagnosed back in 2009, but was dealing with athletic pubalgia at the time, which is another story, but often related to FAI. During the surgery, which is outpatient arthroscopic, the excess bone is shaved away from the femur, a hole is drilled into the hip, the labrum is cleaned up and stitched to an anchor, and the anchor is driven into the hole. All with just three tiny incisions. It's amazing what they can do with minimally invasive surgery nowadays. I was supposed to be off work and on crutches for two weeks, with zero load spinning by the end of the first week. The crutches lasted a day and a half and I was back at work the following Monday so I could start the spinning in our fitness center. Rather than paying for PT out of pocket due to my high deductible health plan, I followed the PT protocol on my own at our fitness center. I had been doing the same or similar exercises for months before the surgery, so recovery time was diminished compared to the typical overweight, sedentary patient. It's not necessarily all behind me now, since I also have FAI in my opposite hip and may require future surgery.

By the way, at my place of work (I'm an automotive engineer in metro Detroit), we have a fitness center with locker room and showers, so you'll see a lot of these lunch time runs for me during the work week.

Hey, DAW, where do you work & live? I live in Rochester Hills and at one time was an engineer at Pontiac Motor Division. Retired now after a career mostly in computers, industrial automation, and robotics (GMF/FANUC). And I can tell you that in my time we didn't have anything resembling a fitness center at work!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"