Masters Running

Thursday, 8.25.16 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Great way to spend an evening, Marj, Henry, and LaT - with friends and honky-tonk! I'm glad you got in a good late evening run, LaT.

Better late than never to get your month started, Stumpy. (Whenever I said 'better late than never' to a girlfriend I had in high school, she'd reply; "Better never late." Well, yeah, but...

Nice 6 with the mini-group, TwoCat. I hope you get that last person for Rosie's Reach The Beach relay team. Whoever signs up will have a blast.

I'm sure your painting and cleaning work at the Y will be much-appreciated, Jlynne.

Nice recovery for a speedy 5 on the TM, Lori.

Welcome back, Aamos. Are teenagers more fun when they are someone else's teenagers? I would have loved to have had you as a mentor. I probably still would...

Hiya, Ribs! Sorry about the heart issues, but I hope you and your docs will get you to a good resolution. Congrats on improving your walking speed. What you can learn from racewalkers, even if you don't want to racewalk, is not to overstride (longer isn't always easier or faster), and to keep your arms bent at 90 degrees. Too long an arm pendulum means a slower arm swing - speed up your arms, and your legs will keep pace. Also, keep your arm swing short in the front and long in the back (as if you were reaching into a back pocket). Too far with the arms out front throws the body out of balance, which slows you down and wastes energy. It sounds like Hudson is continuing to do very well, which is not a surprise at all.

Break that midnight reading and snack habit, Holly - too much sleepus interuptus. I'm glad you got in 5 miles, but I'm sorry about the persistent pains.

I'm sorry about your persistent foot pain too, Evanflein. Good luck on today's run, if you can fit it in.

Nice 8 smile miles with your wings on, Mariposai.

Last night's meeting was short, efficient, and productive - how often does that happen? So I got to bed on time, and got up on time this morning for 6.6 RW miles in 67F somewhat muggy temps. On my way, I saw a metal-framed, wood bench that someone had put on the side of the road (meaning "Take Me"). We've been looking for something like that for the front of our guest cottage or just outside of our office. So I drove by on my way to work and picked it up. The framing is heavy/sturdy, and the wood slats appear to be in decent shape.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

r

Pretty interesting evening last night. Tornado touched down 4 blocks away from home. I run by there. I was at work and the sirens went nuts. Family at home is ok Thank God. Work is only about a half mile from the hit area as well. I don't think there was any serious injuries thankfully.  But it was all back to business afterward at work. If this were Kansas, Chrysler would have put gloves on Dorothy and Toto and told them to " dig right in. We got vans to build.". Water was coming up through the eye wash stations like Niagara Falls.

Anyway, hoping for 5k

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Sayhey! MM#130

Vicariously enjoying Jay's bench find.  Love that!

Yes, I imagine that other folks' teens are prolly more fun than one's own, at least some of the time.  She's a great person.  A sprinter (the 400 is her forte), she's going to run cross country.......and is overwhelmed by the thought of running 3 miles all at once.

Thinking I'll get DH out for a sunset walk tonight.  (It's a day game today, so the evening's open.)

Anyone else enjoying Fredrik Backman's writing?  A Man Called Ove and My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry are the two I have.  He's Swedish, very popular there, just becoming known over the past few years here.  He's funny and thoughtful at the same time.

And Rosie, thanks for your tip: finally read A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler and loved it.  I appreciate how one of the characters, upon turning 60, fired her internist as she wasn't interested in any extraordinary measures.   The family in the book wonders at one point what they look like to others (non-family).  Interesting, as was the idea that families have unique stories that create a sort of theme that define them.

Have a good day--and treat yourself accordingly, as per National BS day (see below).

grins,

A

p.s. Finally was able to run this am.  Just 5+, and there's residual soreness, but I know that's to be expected.  Haven't had quad issues like this since the time my Rapid City running chums took me off to the Big Horn Mountains in June of 2004 to run a 30K trail race on single track.  Image result for national banana split day

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Waylaid from running this morning with a matriculation ceremony. That is new in my book! As a student I do not ever remember attending one. I had no choice but to go since I now head the school's Ph.D. program. The incoming students seemed happy about the whole to do. As for me, I am hoping to get out and run later in the day when the sun is a bit lower in the sky.

Reminder: We might have an opening for the Reach the Beach Relay team due to an injury. We leave for the starting line on Thursday 9/15. The race runs through New Hampshire. If you are interested send me a note via RA's message system and I can fill you in on additional details. We have 4 RA runners help make it 5!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

What's a guy supposed to do when he's got to go his biggest BS meetin

in a long time?  Why, take a morning stroll along the bear viewing walkways

above a local salmon creek and see mama and three cubs.

If I survive the olfactory BS, I'll celebrate with a gustatorial BS treat tonight.

thanks amy.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Pretty interesting evening last night. Tornado touched down 4 blocks away from home.

Wow - that's pretty scary. Glad everyone is all right.

Jay - a surprising amount of furniture in our home - mostly end tables and dressers, came from the side of the road.  Often a little loving care is all that is needed to make them usable.

Amy - I think I gained two lbs just looking at the picture......

1 mile for me this morning, then I decided against it.  30 minutes on the stationary bike.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Bertha - that is scary!  What state are you in?

Yup, I also put on two pounds just looking at the BS photo.  Or maybe it was the margarita and tacos last night?

Did 4.3 slow miles this morning.  Saving my legs for a big hike tomorrow with my son and Mr. Blue Eyes, the hike will be gorgeous I am sure.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Bertha - that is scary!  What state are you in?

I'm in Windsor. Canada. Just south of Detroit.

I am not a huge fan of banana splits but give me a big old hot fudge sundae and i will dive in face first.

Lori

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Marathon Maniac #957

Or maybe it was the margarita and tacos last night?

No, I'm pretty sure that margaritas and tacos have no calories, especially when ingested together....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

I'm in Windsor. Canada. Just south of Detroit.

I love that you put it that way.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

..howdy.....

......need to ask robin and henry

to judge the results

in the Boomer Cholesterol Race Thread.....

some amazing numbers..........and thanks to everyone who posted

=========

.........recovering from PoisonIvy Incident early last week.......annoying stuff that

and

to use a Medical Term  ''itchy''

..........HeatIndex of 100+ here

....40-min BikeRide on Hills in 6th gear

and

40-min PoolRun, nb,cf,ris,paw

....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I kind of know where Windsor is.    I grew up in Toronto and went to undergrad at Waterloo.  I lived in Barrie one semester, a few months after a tornado had gone through there and wiped out a bunch of homes.  Doesn't seem like it would be tornado country, but hey.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I kind of know where Windsor is.    I grew up in Toronto and went to undergrad at Waterloo.  I lived in Barrie one semester, a few months after a tornado had gone through there and wiped out a bunch of homes.  Doesn't seem like it would be tornado country, but hey.

Hello fellow Canuck. Windsor seems to be Canada's ugly little secret. Not many people know where we are.

Lori

Henrun

Hello fellow Canuck. Windsor seems to be Canada's ugly little secret. Not many people know where we are.

I also grew up in Toronto and went to U of T.  What a slew of Canucks!

Thanks for starting us out Jay - a short productive meeting is a welcome change – no? I followed your lead and brought home an antique, ornate, wood framed mirror. I will mosaic the areas where the frame has gaps. New meets old look.

My family is near that tornado as well – frightening. They live between Windsor and LaSalle.

Amy – love “A Man Called Ove” and “A Spool of Blue Thread”

TwoCat – ran some hills today for my RTB team. I LOVE hills!!!

Hi tomwhite!!!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx