Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 1.21.13 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Congrats on the PR and AG hardware, Wildchild!

Nice distance yesterday, Ribs.

Steve, I agree that you are not out of line (in regard to John), but your boss is.

Mike, it'll be a tough day today, but your sister deserves it, and it'll ultimately help the rest of the family.

Tselbes, working the sale at the shoe store sounds like a blast! I can't imagine a running shoe store that big that it needs that many employees, even for a major sale.

Yesterday's posts demonstrated (again) there there are many good-hearted people on this forum. Makes me proud just to be in the same arena with you all.

I did 4 miles on the indoor track before our racewalking training session yesterday. Fortunately, the quad problem I had earlier faded away. We had a newbie show up, and she was great -very personable, and she picked up the basics of racewalking more quickly than many others. After her first day, she is already talking about racewalking a 5K this spring! I'm working on a logo for our group, and showed some samples to the folks at the training session. I was using the name "Granite State Racewalkers," but they think we should be "Jaywalkers." I dunno about that....

4.7 racewalking miles at 4:20 this morining. 20F with and steady wind and 22 mph gusts. It was nice going with the wind, but not so much so going into it. There is supposed to be snow coming overnight, so I may be doing a snowblower workout tomorrow morning.

Have a great day, even if it is Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Happy Monday Jay and all to follow. I'm glad you got through your session yesterday without that quad acting up.  Hope it stays that way. And have fun cross training with the snow blower. There's not much snow on the ground here, only bitterly cold temps these last few days with 15 to 20 mph sustained winds. It was 1° this morning when I got to the Y. Yes, I wimped out and ran on the track. 4 miles was all I had time for and these cold temps have brought everyone indoors. The track needed a traffic cop this morning!

Steve - your boss sounds like a "glass half empty" kind of guy. Why always assume the worst in people?  It sounds like your friend really wants you to spend these last few days with him. You're doing the right - and compassionate - thing.

{{{Mike}}} Stay strong, friend.

Great video Bill! Like Ribs said, next time you do a solo, wear your running shorts.

Hugs to all of the flu sickies out there. Hope your fevers are gone and you feel better today.

My DD#2 got engaged yesterday!! Well, actually she's my stepdaughter but we've been together a long time and she even calls me mom. First time for her and her fiance. She's 35 and he's 40. He's a great guy and we're thrilled for both of them. Look like 2014 is the wedding year.

Two brothers coaching the Super Bowl teams? Wow! Have a great Monday everyone.

Thanks for the video comments.  The sound is cruddy but you get the idea ...

SteveP you're a good guy and a good friend.

MikeE thinking of you today.  Peace and prayers.

SpareRibs, nice Big weekend.

Yesterday was the Naples Half Marathon, which I've always touted as the Best HM in the state.  And the Feb. 2013 issue of Runners World ranks it one of the top 27 HM's nationally.  (I got my HM PR there last January.)  Anyway, my local running club seriously had a GREAT day yesterday.  PR's all over the place including several 1:28's, a 1:31 and a Women's 35-40 AG win, and any number of sub-1:40's.  Sweet.

4.5 miles running for me this morning.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

Jay—quite the philosophical introspection yesterday!  At that hour of the morning I’m usually limited to not making a mess as I pour my first cup of coffee.  When I’m out running, watching the sun rise, then I get philosophical.  Wink

C-R—I bet you enjoyed that mediocre Pats performance. I'm ready to declare the Brady-era officially over.

Carolyn—nice racing (and welcome back)

Mari—you did it again, referencing “MIL” in relation to me.  What’s “MIL”?  (and welcome back, too!)

Ribs—nice job on a 22!  Those are never easy.

Tom—Geez, that sale sounds amazing.  Nothing like that around here.  And never underestimate the healing power of Guinness!

Holly—hope you’re feeling better soon.

Gordon—nice going on the weight loss.

Steve—you’re in the right.  Best to you in dealing with this.  I hope you can work it out.

Beautiful clear sunny morning.  They’ll have a great day for the inauguration festivities up the road.

10 miles with 4x1200’s.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Morning all, and thank you for the kind words.  Today on the Dallas News site I'm going to write about "specificity of exercise" as it pertains to doing your long run on legs that are not fresh, as in my own mind at least, it replicates how you feel in a marathon, running the last 8 miles or so when you're pretty fatigued.  I'll put the link up later if anyone is interested.

Took it very easy and cautiously today:  2.3 jog/walk with Lucy von Sheltie. I think I'll be able to run okay tomorrow.  Spareribs

King of PhotoShop

Tramps

Ribs--good post.  (And "sproinky" makes it into the mainstream!)

Speaking of Dallas...I thought this was funny from the Dallas Stars "fan cam" during the season opener:

Be safe. Be kind.

C-R

Got a nice 10K for lunch but legs still a little sore. Hopefully tonight's run will be better but whatevs.

4:20 Jay - sleeping in I see. Wink

I did enjoy the Pats woes and what a class act by Bellichick skipping the post game on field t.v interview. Glad Sharpe called him out on national t.v. Cherry on top. I was always taught to compete like hell, win with grace and lose with class. Guess he skipped that one on the Being a Leader correspondence course.

Ribs - I just saw the 30 mile weekend. WTG.

SteveP - you're right and your boss needs to see the big picture. He wouldn't feel the same if it were someone close to him in hospice.

Stay strong Mike

Nice Tramps - I wonder the type of hazing he will get at rookie camp once he's drafted and signed. He better get a tough skin and real quick.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mariposai

One today!

Very powerful inaugural poem! And it took him only two weeks to write it!

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/today-richard-blanco-poem-read-barack-obama-inauguration/story?id=18274653

Spareribs, good article, once again and congrats in being able to run the 30 miles weekends as you did when  you were a lad.

Tramps,  oops, MIL is what  they call in Paraguay their middle long runs.

Jlynne, it seems like all the gyms are now crowed with all those folks with new year's resolution to be good and loose weight Big grin...give them a month and the gym will be all yours again. LOL.

{{{Mike and family}}}}

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

...Burger//..........Great video yesterday...........you guys sounded great.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Nice article Ribs...I totally agree...Best weekend I ever had was running 8 miles on a Saturday morning, got home and changed into a fresh set of shorts and ran 6.5 miles with my local club an hour later...followed by 20 the next day...I was tired at the end, but it sure paid off on race day...

5 miles this morning...When I get some more weight off, I'll be able to incorporate some speed work.

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Bushrat Runner

A quick missive from out past the end of the road.

Saturday's run was a bit of an experience. Neal was busy, so Mo and I took Choco to the end of the road and then ran back home, a one way trip with a tailwind again. With the warm temperatures and howling east winds, it may become our new way to do all our runs. Especially if every Saturday corresponds with the arrival of another low pressure system moving in from the Aleutians...

As we left, it was getting a little more windy than the 25 to 35 that was forecast, but 33 gusting 43 seemed okay with a tailwind. We got to the end of the road to park the truck, and it was pretty windy all right. Certainly the windiest weather I can remember running in. I've been out a lot of times when it got up into the 35 mph range, and usually that is about where I decide I'm not having fun any more. But tailwinds are good, so we started off down the road after we verified that we could, in fact, stay upright.

After a few minutes, it was obvious that this was not going to be any normal run. The wind was certainly strong. But when the gusts would hit, it was at entirely another level. We were finding ourselves propelled down the icy roads with a huge hand pushing on our backs. Most of the road was bare, but any time we were on a patch of ice when the gusts hit, it was quite a dance to stay upright while trying not to overspeed. Some bends in the road offered a little shelter from the breeze, but most of the time we were getting a pretty good push. And of course, what could be better, right?

After a few miles, we crested out on top of our 'hill' (don't laugh, Carolyn...) and oh, boy. Nearing the top of the hill, we were actually getting pushed uphill. Hard. As we hit the top, the wind was picking up sand and gravel and hitting us in the back of the legs, butt, head. I have never run in wind like that anywhere. Mo was concerned about how out of control she felt, so she slowed down. I was concerned about getting a piece of gravel embedded in my skull, so I sped down the hill until I got out of the worst of it. I probably have never run a hill like that in my life. Between the downhill and the ferocious wind, it was full-on sprint speed. Of course, my full-on sprint speed isn't what it used to be...but still...

After that, we noticed that our legs were pretty thrashed. We ran on, feeling wiped out and shoved along all the way home, 10.6 miles. When we got there, I checked the weather...

Wind: 46 mph gusting 68 mph.

Yep, that explains some things.

The quad pounding that is normally associated with downhill running was pretty much the rule of the day the entire way, so Sunday was a day of sore muscles. Today, we went out for a more relaxed 7.4 miles. Felt a little soggy, but overall good. The 'breeze' was only about 20 mph, so it felt pretty benign, and we actually ran both directions without setting ourselves up for another tailwind day.

Sorry been poor at keeping up. We are in the internet doghouse, as the super-speedy new service only comes with 25 GB per month, then $20/G for overage. Some of the folks in the household went a bit nuts with the nice new speeds, and we topped our use limit in 6 days then were headed for thousands of dollars of overage, so we unplugged the line...

Now were are probably going to install some substandard satellite internet just because those don't charge extra, they just put you in the doghouse and throttle your data when you go over. I can live with that a lot easier than a bill that exceeds my paycheck...

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks - a fly-by as the kids are waiting to watch The Graham Norton Show (if you don't watch this, you must check it out - BBC channel Sat. nights 10pm).  I've started doing DD's bedtime story reading at 7:30pm, which allows us not to be distracted by etc. so we can relax with the book (currently The Dark is Rising, by Susan Cooper), but that's my usual computer time, so I need to rework my timing.

Anyway, still a chest cough but feeling like I'm on the downhill slope.

2 miles on the TM and planks today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'm so behind in here, so I hope I don't offend by not sending out individuals "heys."  I see that Holly's back is feeling better - thankfully!  A fall like that can be so scary and until you see how things will shake out.

4 EZ miles in the late afternoon.  When I run later in the day, the route I take has me doing a decent climb around Mile 2.5 and I have been struggling to run the thing.  Today is the first time in awhile that it hasn't felt like I was gonna die before I got to the top.  Sweet!

Back to work tomorrow, and I suspect we'll be filing a petition with the court regarding the trust admin that seems to be going sideways.  Ugh!  I had almost the whole thing typed up about a month ago, but somehow the original document got corrupted and it won't open.  Thankfully, I had printed out a draft and kept it in the file "just in case."

Have a great week ~

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Yeah--it was a tough day.  The thought of it being the end...and everybody going back to "normal" hit me real hard.  I had warned everybody that it was going to be tough and I told them to prepare themselves....I should have taken my own advice.  It was tough.

Anyway--while I'll never forget, Bonnie--and this event has brough a lot of stuff out that I need to follow up on--it is time to get back at it.  I have a big week of runs planned and I'm really looking forward to it.  I wish the temps hadn't gone below zero while all this was going on.  I decided to do my 6 miler on the treadmill, tonight...in 45:40...and I lifted weights for 40 minutes...and, of course, I did my planks.

I do want to thank all of you for your kind words and support.  I appreciate you all letting me come on here and share my "crap".  I'm hoping that I will be able to be much more pleasant in the future.

Okay--that's it for the day--I'm going to bed.