Masters Running

Winding Down with Wednesday 11/21/18 (Read 40 times)

SteveP

Rochrunner stops in. He's been running, walking, cycling as well as experiencing some ups and downs. I suspect that a company could test for nicotine and acetaminophen if they so desire. What will be interesting is how recreational boating will be affected by Michigan joining the list of long haired hippy states where getting into the wacky tabbacy is legal. Someone living in a van down by the river could fire up a fat one and be fine. A passerby in a canoe enjoying the herb superb would likely fall under maritime/federal jurisdiction.

Coastwalker is a rebel in the rain testing his hammy with a home grown 10K.

Jlynne braves the temps and nudges out just past 5 3/4.

TammyinGP rounds up a loving, though temporary home for a lucky hound. She still works in 3 miles.

Super busy at work, trying to to a full week of work in a short week.

Our company belongs to that club.

Holly has a set back as her appointment gets bumped. Boo. She still gets 4 on the treadmill. Yay!!!

RunnerKSA get a double dose of treadmill terror.  2.2 AM and 2.3 PM. Sweet.

Dave59 nurses his calf while offering insights as to how the workplace has changed over the years.

Fatozzig has some hopeful news. There's a light at the end of the tunnel!

Tom White gets a round of golf in with frozen balls. He begins to question his sanity. He's set himself up for so many bad puns and innuendos that I'm in physical pain not to dive in head first because I realize that we're in polite company. Oh the torture!!! Was the ball washer very cold?

Falconfixer sees the Dr and the AM and kicks out a zippy 7 miler.

Bioguy has an aching 6 miles. I hope the tooth works out well.

Joe618 shows he's a wild one. Four mid day miles and some number crunching for our good friends at the IRS.

Tetsujin209 hits the seafood jack pot. The first 7 herbs and spices is a polite nod to one of our military greats, Colonel Sanders. The items at the front of the cupboard are likely to be what's already preferred in the house hold. Measurements are for scientists, chumps and hippies selling weed. Sometimes I'm a chump.

Evanflein works in 5.3 on the treadmill. I'm very sorry to hear that you've taking a tumble in the weather.

I churned out another three on the treadmill before work. A guy who has delivered to us over the last couple of years is requesting a different route. His DW works every other weekend and they've only been able to spend a few days together per month. I'm happy and sad. The first time we met, he said, "Don't even start your ****. I've heard all about you." I guess the ol' boy had 66 stops on his route. Ours was the only one highlighted. He was advised not to believe anything he heard or saw his first time here. I'm gonna miss him...Next week though...fresh meat.

SteveP

Mike E

MM #5615

A guy who has delivered to us over the last couple of years is requesting a different route. His DW works every other weekend and they've only been able to spend a few days together per month.

What's wrong with his current route?

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

'Nother great start, Steve, and interesting/insightful/funny thoughts about other folks' activities and musings.

Good question, Mike. But don't ever tell DW that I said that!

I got most of our grocery shopping done yesterday but, similar to Rochrunner and the basement, I have to go back today for the things I forgot plus a few additions. We're trying a new stuffing recipe this year, making cranberry relish for the first time, and we'll do something different with the roasted sweet potatoes as well. Should be an interesting dinner tomorrow.

Despite some rain and snow yesterday, I decided to venture out this morning. It was 28° so everything was frozen. The ghost trees were beautiful, even in the dark, but the iced roads were not. Fortunately, the better-traveled roads were relatively clear and I could walk them with little risk. No racewalking, however, 'cause I knew I'd tighten my hamstring against slipping with every step, and that wouldn't have been good. So I just went an EZ 3.2 miles.

Good luck to everyone Turkey Trotting tomorrow, and have a greta Thanksgiving!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I walked 3 on the clubhouse treadmill this morning with a few spurts of jogging. Someone donated a used treadmill last weekend so I thought I'd give it a whirl rather than drive to Planet Fitness or walk circles around the condos.  It is much better than the treadmill that has been in the clubhouse since we moved here, but it is old. It felt like the belt had micro-slips now and then, but they went away after a while.

It'll be tough to concentrate at work with the 4-day weekend coming up and half the staff out on vacation. Sometime during the day, I'll take a work break and go pickup my packet for tomorrow's Turkey Trot 5k.  Over 1000 people with lots of walkers so I'll have company back in the rear of the race.

I have one more whining comment about how work has changed and then I'll work on my lack of gratitude, just in time for Thanksgiving. For IT folks, when I started work, we were super heroes.  My first job involved installing businesses first computers and automating their manual tasks. We'd meet with folks, see what they did, and then customize the software to handle their business tasks. But now, IT is viewed as an unfortunate cost of doing business. It is a huge difference.

Thanks for the info, RunnerKSA. I used to work for an industrial robotics company where safety was a huge deal (those things can be lethal!), so they were very rigorous on intoxicant enforcement in the robot tech workforce.

Managed to get in a short but intense workout on the trainer yesterday afternoon. I finally figured out how to get a fan set up for a decent cooling blast, which makes a big difference in the perspiration department.

Since neither my DW or DS are dessert (especially pie) people and my MIL is aging, I'm on deck this year for tomorrow's dessert. I'm going to try a nice-looking recipe for a pumpkin cake later today. Wish me luck...

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Good morning gentlemen! Where are all of the ladies today? Oh wait. They must be working and/or doing Thanksgiving prep stuff. Not that any of you guys aren't doing your fair share

Thanks for the great recap Steve. From just reading your posts and never having had the pleasure of meeting you in person, I can't imagine the surprise (and delight) of your new delivery people when they make their first stop! Don't be scaring the new guy now.

Hi Mike! Big football game this weekend. I'm liking the Vikings...

Jay - if you'd share that recipe for your roasted sweet potatoes, I'd be grateful. Smart to take it easy in freezing rain this morning.

Glad you're running again Dave, even if it's just a little.

Good luck with that pumpkin cake Roch!

5.5 miles on the elliptical this morning, 10 minutes on the rower and 15 minutes of core and weights. Then, 3 of the ladies decided we should take a "brisk" walk outside. 18° with the wind chill and 15 mph winds out of the NW. It was damn cold walking in that direction! We got in a couple of miles before everyone decided some hot coffee sounded like a really good idea.

Serving lunch at the Salvation Army today, and they're expecting a full house. I start at the candy store this weekend. Woo hoo! Small business Saturday to boot.

Have a good one folks.

...mornin'.......

........dave//.......calf tears are onrey things-

here's a Taping Idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3rA_w9WM6w

hope it helps

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Good morning.  I've been AWOL. Some busy life stuff. Some knee issues flaring up that limited my exercise. It's been a year and a half since my meniscus tears were first diagnosed and my sports doc recommended then that I stop running completely. I need to reassess where I'm at. I've had a new MRI done and I'm having a consult with an orthopaedic surgeon on Monday. (Sigh.) Hopefully that'll give me more information about what direction makes sense moving forward.

Meanwhile, we tried to go to NH to visit family for the holidays but our car died literally the morning we were heading out. We tried driving it to the dealer but ended up having to get towed. (Turns out transmission is shot; partially covered under extended warranty due to known issues with it.) Thank goodness it happened at home and not on the NJ Turnpike in the midst of holiday travel. So we're home, safe and sound, with no plans, which is kind of nice actually.

I'm so far behind here I won't even try to catch up. But I will try to get back in the habit of posting and reading regularly.

I did a 3-mile run this morning. Cold, crisp, and sunny out.

Be safe. Be kind.

coastwalker

Jay - if you'd share that recipe for your roasted sweet potatoes, I'd be grateful.

Jlynne, here are some roasted sweet potato basics, plus some ideas for adding flavor/texture:  https://www.thekitchn.com/tips-for-making-better-roasted-sweet-potatoes-263169

Have fun!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

...mornin'.......

........dave//.......calf tears are onrey things-

here's a Taping Idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3rA_w9WM6w

hope it helps

Unfortunately I researched kinesiology tape and found it only has placebo effects.  Now that I know it does nothing, I have lost the chance for the placebo help.

https://www.cramersportsmed.com/first-aider/does-kinesiology-tape-really-work.html

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/27/ask-well-does-kinesiology-tape-really-work/

https://www.sports-health.com/blog/does-kinesiology-tape-really-work

"None of the studies showed any significant benefits regarding long-term pain alleviation, or improved strength or range of motion. The authors of both reviews concluded that there is insufficient evidence to support the use of kinesio tape to prevent or treat injuries, or to improve strength or range of motion."

So I am going with these guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrO3o5pdBr8

Marathon Maniac #957

It'll be tough to concentrate at work with the 4-day weekend coming up and half the staff out on vacation.

Yup, same here.  It's like a ghost town in this office.  But I have stuff to do, as we approach the end of a busy month.  I hope to take off a couple of hours early and swing by the packet pickup of of our 5-mile Turkey Trot, and the library on the way home, and probably will work a couple more hours from home while I do some baking for tomorrow.  DS and his GF plan to do a couple of vegetarian recipes tomorrow for the feast at GF's parents house (where we are all going), but their recipes seem to use 400 ingredients and every dish in the house, so whatever I can make tonight and get out of their way tomorrow is a good thing.

This is the 40th anniversary of our small town's Turkey Trot, which usually has around 10,000 registered runners and run/walkers.  I will likely be a run/walker this year, but that's okay.  It is a fun event, with lots of costumes.  Temps are forecast to be in the low to mid-20's, but the roads are dry.

Since I am doing 5 miles tomorrow, today I just did weights and core and laundry this morning before work.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Happy Thanksgiving Eve Masters!!

6.2 fabulous miles this morning -- wish we could duplicate today's weather tomorrow, but with the coldest Thanksgiving in recorded history expected we have cancelled our Feaster Five Kids race and the 5 mile race tomorrow morning. We are still running the 5k so I'll be volunteering in the VIP room and getting a few miles in with the rest of the crowd!!

Oh and skip the Romaine EAT the chocolate!!!

denise

Joe618

Mornin' all.   Enjoying another day off.   Get to sit at home and read a book I want to read.   Sweet.

And I was cooking, jlynne!!   Made a batch of brownies for two neighbors.   Hard to explain without showing you a map of our neighborhood, but the street layout is such that my running routes have two choices...run on streets and have about 3/4 mile of dangerously narrow, heavily trafficked streets to run every time OR cut through the back yards of two houses to get to another neighborhood and link up with miles of trails with no danger.   I got their permissions when we moved to this house 18 months ago but I'm going to drop off a plate of brownies to each of them this afternoon with a note just to say thank you to them.

We have our Turkey Trot tomorrow a couple miles from my house, so I'll run there and back plus race a 5K, so a nice workout.   I'm actually helping with packet pickup this afternoon too...it's a really fun event and one of the larger fund raisers/food raisers for our local Food Bank.  In a town of 25,000 residents, we'll have over 1,000 runners and walkers tomorrow.

Rock on,

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Happy Thanksgiving Eve Masters!!

6.2 fabulous miles this morning -- wish we could duplicate today's weather tomorrow, but with the coldest Thanksgiving in recorded history expected we have cancelled our Feaster Five Kids race and the 5 mile race tomorrow morning. We are still running the 5k so I'll be volunteering in the VIP room and getting a few miles in with the rest of the crowd!!

Oh and skip the Romaine EAT the chocolate!!!

Good run, Denise. Similar weather coming here, and I was never so glad not to have entered a Turkey Trot this year. It also make me think back to a couple years when my DS was in the band and they marched in the big Detroit parade in weather like we'll be getting.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy, masters!

Sounds like quite a few of you are doing turkey trot races tomorrow.  I'm also going to a 5k race in Idaho Springs that some friends are organizing to support a nonprofit called Wake Up Narcolepsy, because their son suffers from it.  I expect it will be a very small race, but I have several friends going and it's for a good cause.  And there's homemade pie at the end!

We're celebrating Thanksgiving on Saturday with DD and DSIL - they're celebrating with some friends tomorrow, but are coming here for the weekend.

Hope you all have a peaceful holiday and great running this weekend!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.