Masters Running

9/30/18 (Read 41 times)

SteveP

Pfriese, it was good to finally meet you face to face.

TomWhite doing an imitation of alphabet soup.

RunnerKSA mixing it up with a 3+3. Respect.

Holly having her hands full. I do not miss going to high school.

Tramps had a cool 5.

Mrrun developing superpowers in a fashionable 5.5

Dave59 getting down, dirty and long with 1st AG. I'm envious of those times.

Stumpy enjoying a crisp Maine morning. Maine miles are much more difficult that Iowa miles I'm sure.

"Oh say can you see

Henrun knock out 2 in IRC?"

MikeE killing us with his home spun humor. Running 8 with the wallet draining youth of of his town.

Surly Bill reminiscing about a perfect course. getting hip with 3 3/4.

Mariposai looking all Rosie with cherished friends..

Joe618 enjoying a little R&R.

TwoCat pushing 30.

Falconfixer getting in a 7 mile mix.

Quickadder adding a 5K to his weekend.

Jlynne chillin' after her 3.5. Then trippin' through the farmer's market.

Spacecityrunner enjoying 3.5 and fostering a doggie notion. I'd really struggle hanging with a hound names after a beloved snack.

Our beloved Buehrle getting a 2nd AG. You've earned hardware.

I moved my work out to the Race Report page. After our 5K, I stopped and a rock and mineral show. I drooled a lot. I got too hear people brag about being geologist to the vendors. Unless you occasionally count bacteria from oil samples, you're a rock hound.

Then Tag went to work with me for 1/2 a day. He didn't mind it this time because of all the sticks.

SteveP

Dave59

Life is strange. I survive a muddy trail run but then later in evening I bend down to pick up the cat's water dish to refill it and something happens to my knee. It hurts to put weight on it this morning.

I have no idea what is wrong or how long it will last.

spacityrunner

5 miles of mountain hiking this early morning.  Gotta go feed the birds and get ready for my foster doggie to come home!!  

Dave that usually happens to me..take care of that ouchie knee!

Trails Rock!

bioguy

3 miles this morning; now to pack up and drive home. Lots to prep for the coming week at school.

Dave-  I hope your knee is OK!  We see particularly fragile these days.

3 elliptical miles.  The clubhouse gym is just too warm.  It's not like some hotel gyms (Norm's favorite) where you know it's too hot the minute you walk in, but after I get going I know it just isn't cool enough- and I'm pretty heat tolerant.  I sweat twice as much as in the work gym, which isn't exactly freezing.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the start & recap, Steve. I'm glad you finally got some decent help at work!

Sorry about the knee, Dave. I hope the problem is temporary.

Good morning workouts, Spacityrunner, Bioguy & KSA.

Busy day here yesterday with racewalking training, stop at the farmer's market, and hang patio lights, set up for and host (with DW) a lobster fest for 18 of our neighbors. We cooked lobsters for 15 and 9 lbs of steamers and grilled 18 ears of corn. Other folks brought potato salad, and various dips and sides and desserts. A lot of food and wine was consumed, including by the hosts. I got to bed late, and got up early today to get ready for and head out for a 10K in Gloucester, MA. I'll post the details in Race Reports, so suffice it to say here that I did reasonably well as a racewalker in a running race, averaging about 10:46/mile. For the rest of the day, we have a little more post-party clean-up to do, and some family phone calls to make. And maybe I'll take a nap...

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Henrun

((Dave))

Nice race Jay. Sounds you had a great a party. BTW my DD is in your hood for a 35th high school reunion.

RunnerKSA-our fitness room is on AC, not that I use it when the outdoors is so beautiful this time of year here.

4 miles this gorgeous fall morning watching the leaves turn.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, tried to go long today....and failed.  8.5, last 2 miles a run/walk mix again.  Partially because I started too late and it was warming up (humidity already high).  Will see if there is a "recovery" ride scheduled for this afternoon (betting there is).

Jay, congratulations!

Steve, +1 to the finally getting some good help at work comment!

Have a great day everyone.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Even though I’ve been slacking for a while, I like taking breaks into the forum to catch up on everyone’s adventures, Mariposai still taking care of 2-cat, Steve thinking youthful discretionS’ll only follow him into his seventies, Paul running around Paris like I used to explore Tokyo, Holly’s DD being taught being taught it’s okay, if not required, to be suffer as a victim and getting in trouble for standing up for herself, Dave in the mud where, if God didn’t want us to run in it, what else is it for?  Spurred by all the guy’s previous victims, the student body should vote to give Holly’s DD a Certificate of Appreciation/Medal of Honor and special place in their yearbook.   Too bad.
                    Also quite too bad is that, for the first time in maybe 12-15 years, after going running this morning solely for running’s sake for the first time in 12-15 years and nothing else, more than an hour around-and-around the grass and beach of a secluded lakeside park at the end of five mile cycle I discovered the other day, I finally have something concrete to post about other than the races I like and then I have to deal with this, especially since all day today is fruit day in the GM diet that’s trying to get my down below 170lbs for the first time in five-or-six years:

a lobster fest for 18 of our neighbors. We cooked lobsters for 15 and 9 lbs of steamers and grilled 18 ears of corn.

Thanks a lot, jay!
                    Hope you can run/RW it off today.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

Oops, forgot to post this morning.

40 miles on the bike. Cooler temps allowed for a little pick-up in pace.

Be safe. Be kind.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Holly’s DD being taught being taught it’s okay, if not required, to be suffer as a victim and getting in trouble for standing up for herself, Dave in the mud where, if God didn’t want us to run in it, what else is it for?  Spurred by all the guy’s previous victims, the student body should vote to give Holly’s DD a Certificate of Appreciation/Medal of Honor and special place in their yearbook.   Too bad.

I respectfully disagree with you here. I believe she is being taught to be careful on how to deal with a bully or a mentally unstable person. However, I was not in the cafeteria all week and I do not know if the boy has a diagnosis. It seems his dramatically violent reaction to DD "standing up for herself" might be evidence of his potential for violence. I am not a professional educator and would love to hear how the teachers in our group deal with these sorts of situations.

I guess I am just overly cautious when it comes to mentally ill people. Perhaps the recent tragic stabbing of the young runner in DC has made me want to search for a better way to handle the mentally unstable. Again,my educational background is nursing and not high school cafeteria etiquette. Or lack thereof. Or mental illness and how to cope with the mentally unstable.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Quickadder

It wasn’t raining when I went to the local trails with DD early this morning, but it started soon after we did. With the temperature 71F gentle rain felt good. The rain steadily got heavier and by mile 5 it was a downpour with occasional thunder. By mile 8 there was standing water an inch or two deep all along the trail. When we got back to the car, DD decided that we were not going any further and as she was driving, I didn’t argue. Finished up with 9.3 very soggy miles.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Marathon Maniac #957

Actually, I believe the lesson the school is teaching DD (or what she seems to be learning from it) is that the boy's attack is partially her fault.  That, as the victim, she still had some culpability in his attack, even though she believes it was his behavior that started the whole issue.  However, the lesson I am trying to get DD to leave with is, don't poke the bear when it is not necessary.  Sometimes bears have guns, and that is just prudent behavior, not cowardice.  Make the best of it and move on.

(((Dave's knee)))  Many of the most painful owies I have had, have been from some simple wrong move - turning my head to look at the stovetop, bending over to brush my hair, etc.

Lovely, lovely day here.  I managed to get in 5.1 walking miles in between DD's games.  Walking takes SO LONG.  At least the way I do it.  Still, motion is good.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went 8 miles, today.

Have any of you heard anything about the Lower Potomac River Marathon being discontinued?  I have that on my list for my Maryland marathon in March, but the website for 2019 is not up, yet.  I wrote an email to the race director but was just wondering if any of you have heard anything.  I need to fit in Maryland, Nebraska, and New Jersey, next year, and I thought I had it figured out but now I'm not so sure.

Okay--that's all I've got.  See ya!

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, nice 16+ mile bike ride at a very easy pace.  It's the weekly local recovery ride and very friendly for people new to the sport or who been away for a while etc.  I generally ride near the back and today rode at the very back.  One rider new to me was a young man (middle school or maybe a freshman) on an inexpensive (so heavy) bike.  Nice young man, didn't complain, asked good questions and was very good with the old folks answering.  So a fun, relaxing ride.....other than my rear tire which appears to be separating some of it's internal casing.  I'm going to try and save it, but I've already ordered new ones.  Not sure of the mileage on the tire, hopefully well over 1000, not that it matters at this point.

Since I forgot this morning, I saw a reference to the 2019 Tobacco Road Marathon.  That's the one I ramped up too quickly for this spring (obviously not the marathon's fault!).  Quick summary:  the marathon and half marathon start at the same time on a relatively narrow road.  That sort of spreads out once you leave the park (the road is certainly wider.  When you reach the Tobacco Road (a rails to trails surface), marathoners turn right and the half marathoners turn left.  No issues with trail width on that section (from the road to the turnaround then back) but then you cross the road you ran in on and follow the half marathoners.  Depending on how fast you are running, you'll run into traffic and the trail isn't "segregated" for those running out and those running back.  It wasn't terrible, but it got crowded.  Fun race, and it should be a PR course, but there may be too many folks on the trail.....just something to consider.

Have a great night everyone!