Masters Running

Mayday! Mayday! (No, the other May Day...) (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for passing on the pollen count, Evanflein. We still have that to look forward to.

Holly, "bizarre" is a good description of my BIL's NH adventure. They're back in VA now, so we'll wait to see what comes (or where they go) next. Good luck with the insurance sign-ups. Nice run yesterday.

Sounds like a great day yesterday, Marj, except for the goodbye meltdown. But that just shows you how much of a good time she has with you two.

Good 'almost calm' 5er, Tselbes.

"I also think Jay's got some strange family... who would do that? It's one thing to be spontaneous, and another to just fail miserably at any sort of planning." Agreed, on all counts!

Jlynne, the cake was an intense chocolate cake that was supposed to be a little crusty on the outside and nice and gooey inside. However, it collapsed when it came out of the oven. I wasn't sure what was going on, and hadn't made it enough to be confident that it would still be OK. So I chickened out and went out and bought a chocolate mousse cake that we took to the dinner party. DW told them the story, so I got some good razzing about my 'homemade' cake. Of course, DW and I will have to give my cake a try later today. Nice 11-miler, regardless of speed (which wasn't that slow at all). I wonder if our garage door will carry my weight?

Congrats on the sproinky 12er, Enke. Sorry about all the house issues. My advice would be to let MBE do the work (or you both do it together) and be done with it. It's just a pain in the butt to have stuff like that lingering on.

Twocat, we'll be in San Antonio for a trade conference over Memorial Day weekend, so we'd appreciate any reccos. Sadly, we won't have free time for anything other than dinner each day that we are there. Regarding the RTB Relay - whatever you need...

Sounds like a fun day yesterday, Aamos!

Good job on the yardwork and 10-miler, Mike. Did you figure out your presentation topic?

So sorry to hear about your classmate's passing, Tet. That was too quick. I'm glad that you and GS have such a good time getting into trouble together!

We had a great time at last night's dinner party. One of the other guests owned one of our favorite restaurants until she closed it about 10 years ago. She's a terrific person and a fab. cook. Everybody brought different appies, and we almost didn't need dinner (but I'm glad we had it because it was delicious too). We didn't get home and to bed till after 11:30, which was well past my bedtime. So I slept a little late this morning, but was still out the door a little after 6 for 9.75 easy RW miles. After I stretched and showered, I got a phone call from our credit card co. that there were some suspicious charges on my card from yesterday. Sure enough, they were not mine. So they cancelled my card, and I'll get a new one on Tuesday. This is the 3rd time this has happened in the past year. Fortunately, I haven't been stuck with any of the charges, but it is still frustrating. However, I'm glad the company is on top of it.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Henrun

Jay, glad you were able to sleep in and still get those miles. Must be frustrating about the credit card, but glad you avoided charges.

I'm back. Got 2 short runs in last 3 days- 3 today. My knee seems to have responded to PT- but I've been here before- will take it day by day.

Twocat, it sounds like you enjoyed the Riverwalk run.  I mentioned a while back that my daughter and I did an early morning 5 miles on the riverwalk a few years ago.  We had a couple of great Mexican dinners on the Riverwalk and took one of the boat tours.  Of course we visited the Alamo.  We also went to an old Spanish mission.  I think one could spend a lot of time in San Antonio and not see all that's interesting.

Nice long runs for jlynne and Mike.

This morning it was in the low 40s and almost calm.  I did 3 miles at a 10:53 pace.

Shortly, I will be heading out to see the grandsons and babysit tomorrow.  I've missed that since my last eye surgery but, since I couldn't lift them, babysitting was out.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Dave59

Went for a walk with Cindy this afternoon.  2.7 miles and 360 feet elevation gain. Doesn't sound like much but it is a big hill we went up. Yesterday I started a book call "Acedia & Me" by Kathleen Norris. It's been interesting and I probably will finish it up today. I came across the term "acedia" while reading a really light summary of Socrates last week and he was concerned about the indifference in the culture around him. It peaked my interest so I picked up a couple books on the topic.

You are right Jay, I just need to get on this, get it done.

I am doing a 5K in about 4 weeks.  So I went to the course and ran it today.  I wanted to see how hilly it was to mentally prepare.  It wasn't that bad, but definitely hilly.  The most annoying thing is, the first 1.8 miles is a gentle incline, mostly, but then there is a steep decline - which you know, you can't really gain too much speed on to make up for the uphill portions.  Then the rest is incline again.  Why does it always seem there is more uphill running than downhill?

After I ran that course, I did 2 more miles for 5.1 total.  I'm pooped.

Sorry to hear about your classmate Tet.  My father always says he gets a surprise every morning - the surprise being waking up!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

We are having so much fun with Mike and Sue. We will be sad to see them leave tomorrow.

8 miles today. Now it is time to do some more hiking.

Cheers,

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - we just had that happen with our credit card as well, for the third or fourth time in the last few years.  This time they discovered a charge by a person with a plastic card that matched our account who charged $250 at a grocery store in Florida.  Apparently the bad guys don't just take your number but are able to manufacture actual cards.

Tet - so sad about your friend.

20.3 miles for me today in 60-ish degrees.  It looks like Green Bay will be fraught with walk breaks, since I don't seem to be getting any more fit.

I did see my first baby ducks of the season, 8 tiny creatures on the river just below me with their mother, darting back and forth so quickly I had trouble counting them.  I think baby ducks are adorable.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I think baby ducks are adorable.

Every time I see a baby duck, I think of my mom--she loved baby ducks.

My friend (the assistant CC coach) and his wife, invited me to go with them to a state park and run some hilly trails with them.  Well, how could I pass that up?  Even though we went at a pretty slow pace, I worked way too hard going up those hills this close to my marathons...oh, well...I had fun.

After I got home, I picked up Eric and went out to eat.  The kid might be a little messed up...but he's still my kid.

Okay--that's it--I'm wiped out.  See ya!

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Keep on keeping on Mr. Tselbs!  And good to know there is some progress henrun.

Sorry, tet. 

Congrats Holly.

So sorry... Out of touch a bit..... cook a lot on weekends since I run after work a few times during the week, and Redsox on tv again tonight.

Ran 20+ yesterday so went easy today and just ran 10.  Felt good! Ran the bridge both days, but only one round trip each.

Beautiful sunrise at the bridge this morning.  Old friends to run with and a good Sunday with DH.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Quick hello befor bedtime here. Well it rained almost all day yesterday so no running, just a quick trip to the Y after grocery shopping. The winds were hurricane-like here and our pontoon almost tipped over before we got it moved closer to shore. It has sea legs and is not on a separate lift. Man, that was hard work trying to hold that thing away from the dock. Damage is minimal and we are so thankful a neighbor stopped by to tell us he saw it rocking in the water.

today we were at church from 8-2:30 for worship practice, church and a meal with a pastoral candidate. After helping MrStarr haul junk to the curb at our rentals (city spring trash cleanup starts tomorrow), I got my long run done, just ten miles like Amy's easy day.  Uphill and into the wind to start but the great part was to finally see the sun again! Simply glorious even if I was too warm in long sleeves. My water bottle that I stashed at a stop sign two weeks ago was still there so that was good planning too. That's about it for now, oh May Day used to be so much fun! My mom would make homemade fudge, divinity and we'd deliver May baskets to the neighbor kids. Ring the door bell and run! I only got caught once but didn't have to give him a kiss! What a strange custom that was,,,,,,

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

May Day used to be so much fun! My mom would make homemade fudge, divinity and we'd deliver May baskets to the neighbor kids. Ring the door bell and run! I only got caught once but didn't have to give him a kiss! What a strange custom that was,,,,,,

Strange, but it sure sounds like fun!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."