Masters Running

Crim RR (Read 236 times)

I was not going to do a RR for this race because I am some what disappointed with it but what the heck...... Rolled out of bed at 5 am to get ready and seen the temps were already at 73 degrees so I knew it was going to be a typical hot and humid August race in Michigan. I did my normal routine by hydrating and eating my secrete " Super Oatmeal" I headed to the race at 6 so that I could get a close parking spot and I had some RA people I was going to try and meet. I have been having Achilles or heal problems the last few weeks and wanted plenty of time to loosen up before the race. I did find and talk to Dave59, Tselbs and Marathon Derick from RA before the race and its always cool to say hi to my Internet friends when I can. One of my training partners turned up also ,even though she was not running, just to help cheer me on. Thanks Kate , Next year we will get you back out there I promise. As I was standing in the mass of people at the 8 minute pace group waiting to start. the sweat was already rolling down my back I knew this was going to be a hot one as the sun broke through and burned off the early morning clouds. The start was uneventful this year no big balloon release or fly over just " Ready?" "GO" So the 2 minute shuffle to the start line and then the first mile through town with its many turns and skinny streets makes it almost impossible to get on pace quickly.12,113 people tend to have that effect. I looked at my watch passing the 1 mile mark and it was 9:34 ! Already work to do. My goal for this race originally was to run under 8 minute miles so I started looking for breaks in the crowd to work my way into a better running area but like all big races there is no clear areas so you find yourself zig zagging back and forth and speeding up and slowing down and basically working much harder than necessary. You know people were not lined up properly when you are passing people already walking by mile 2. At mile 3 the offer for Krispy Kreme doughnuts was tempting but again this year I passed the temptation test. Right after that a guy was offering shots of espresso for a caffeine boost. Coffee and doughnuts in a race...only in Flint Michigan....I am noticing at about this spot that I don't have my normal race day focus. Usually I find some one to pace off from or chase and there were so many people that had gone out to fast and dropping back I never really found that just right person. So i more or less got into a rhythm of looking for breaks and gaps and pushing through only to find another blockade. Then comes the much feared Bradley Hills. The cool thing for me here is the halfway mark is about halfway up this long series of steep hills. Everyone always talks like they are huge and in the past I have always chuckled a little because I train on them every Wednesday. Well up to this year anyway!! I think I only made it for hill workout a couple times all year so as I turned the corner and looked up I was not so "happy" to see them as in the past. I kept my head up and climbed passing many people who either decided to walk it or slow to a crawl. Halfway up my 5 mile split time was 42:24 Somewhere around 8.5 minute miles so Still some work to do. I am thinking "no problem after these little hills I will start to pick it up and make up all kinds of time. By time I crested the mountains....I mean little hills ... I was starting to feel the effects of the weather and I decided to settle back for a mile and recover before blasting forward and cutting into that time. I made sure from this point forward to get 2 cups of water at every stop one for in me and one for on me. I also made sure I was running through the many hoses people were spraying from there front yards. I seen at least 3 people being taken by ambulances off the course and many more off to the side of the road. I think a lot of people don't train quite to the level they think they can achieve and then they get out in less than ideal conditions and bad things happen to them. Although I was never in danger of heat stroke or anything the heat did affect me I am sure. Somewhere in there as I pass "Cashew Corner" that's were my fellow Flint -tites who are trying to help, offer up glasses of beer. They also have a guy on a P.A. roasting all the runners as they pass. This year the music was about taking off all your clothes and the theme was trying to get some of the female runners to comply. I managed to pass on the beer but am sure I lost more time slowing down to see if they got any takers for the clothing optional thing. Nope! As I am writing this I realize this is more of an obstacle course than most races. OK now I am down to my last 3 miles its "GO" time. uh maybe I will wait for the last 2 miles this year and really pick it up...uh maybe I better just wait until the last mile and finish strong . OK so at the 1/2 mile to go area I pick it up. The finish to this race is what makes it so great , its a brick road and the last 1/2 mile is down hill. Even if you are half dead you can look good running down the bricks and over the finish line. OK the stats: 1:25:35 a 8:34 pace well below what I wanted to accomplish 1,403 out of 12,113 not that impressive when you consider some people took over 3 hours 1,121 out of 5,627 men 144 out of 615 in my AG.. not bad I am usually about in the middle so again slower finishers What I take away from this: a PR of just under 6 minutes for this race a disappointing time considering my 1/2 marathon pace is about the same Although my heal , Achilles thing was not a factor in the race, this morning it is. I have a marathon in October so Its time to crest a few more hills and work on some of this. Thanks for reading Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Great report full of details we can all relate to! How hot was it? I think you did a pretty good pace in that weather....don't underestimate how much it will slow you down. Congrats on the AG placement, not shabby at all.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

DickyG

Larry... Well, if you ask me, your time was pretty impressive considering the adverse temps and the large crowd. Since I've run the Peachtree for over 30 years, I can certainly relate to running in awful conditions, big crowds, somewhat a carnival-like atmosphere. The important thing is your placements...which were outstanding...congrats are in order. Next year, don't pass on the beer... DickyG

King of PhotoShop

I don't think this is a poor result at all. With an injury nagging at you and the obvious heat problems, you couldn't go into this event looking like it was going to be a blowout race. I race in heat from time to time, but learned long ago to just ease off the pace. Everyone is slower. It's neat however, that you ran a good long race on a course you know well, especially the hills, and that you got to catch up with some virtual friends too. Well done Larry. Spareribs
          Dave59

Nice race Larry. It was nice to meet you (however briefly at the start).
            I made sure from this point forward to get 2 cups of water at every stop one for in me and one for on me. I also made sure I was running through the many hoses people were spraying from there front yards.
            There must have been a lot of people taking multiple cups because by the time us slow folks made it to mile 8 they were out of water! (Or they may have had water but couldn't fill cups fast enough.) But they had some Gatorade, and there were so many other water stops (many run by private groups or even residents outside their house) that it wasn't an issue. I think the Crim may be the best run race I participate in when it comes to the number and quality of water stops.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks for your Crim RR.
              I don't have my normal race day focus.
              Maybe, with your familiarity with the Bradley Hills, you could focus on ‘em all the way until you get there lookin’ forward to passin’ as many runners as possible on the way up. It's what a lot of us more pedestrian "runners" do on the hills out here in the Pacific Northwest after slogging along for four or five otherwise unimpressive, if not boring, hours in various events.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Larry, my pace in the Crim has never been what it is in runs later in the season -- just not possible in the typical Crim weather conditions. And, as you pointed out, this race attracts a lot of clueless people that really jam you up for the first couple of miles. So don't feel bad about the results: a PR is a PR. Super job!! Maybe I'll get to meet you (and Dave59) next year!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on the PR, and in a hot, crowded race, too! And getting together with other virtual running friends from RA was a nice bonus! Thanks for the report.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Larry, it was great to see you again. I'm with Doug in thinking that the Crim is not the place for one's fastest race due to the frequent heat and humidity and the large number of people who start way ahead of where they should and jam up the course. Congratulations on a 6 minute Crim PR. That's pretty darn good. I got a kick out of you talking to yourself and postponing when you would make your push to the finish. I don't mean that as any kind of criticism but rather understanding based on the conditions. I'm glad your AT was fine during the race but sorry to hear it is not so good now. Take care of it. We've got enough walking wounded without you joining the crowd. TomS
                      Great job on a day that was far from PR perfect. It was good to see you,Tom and DAve. I did not do well at all 22 min. slower than last year. Lack of training has really slowed me down, imagine that. The extra 20 pounds might also have something to do with my time. One of the runners did pass away Saturday afternoon at mclaren hospital. No details other than it was heat related. Good luck on next 26.2, unsure if I am going to try another this year or not. I have picked up thje training the last several weeks, maybe a bunch of 1/2s this fall.
                      SteveP

Larry, Thanks for your RR!!! I may not have been able to pass up the expresso. H&H has taken a toll on many a runner. Your ran smart and you had fun.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

I don't think this is a poor result at all. With an injury nagging at you and the obvious heat problems, you couldn't go into this event looking like it was going to be a blowout race.
                          I agree with SR - you had factors working you here that assured that this wasn't going to be your best time. Given the givens, I think you did great - nice job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

sounds like you did a great job on a very hot race day!! congrats!! so........ do you ever reveal what's in your Secrete Super Oatmeal??????

denise