Masters Running

We begin again: 9.1.16 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good workouts yesterday for Lori (a rebounder run), Holly (with a Masterpiece Mystery), Tet (with GS), Tomwhite (in the pool, without a brick), Aamos (in 'cool' weather - under 80), Enke (with a possible job lead - fingers crossed), Haller (.02 short of 100), Wildchild (sproinky, on the hills, and hitting a prime), Twocat (long and sweaty, but last one on Nantucket, with photos), Mariposai (long run on a long work day), Evanflein (long on the Equinox),

We learned yesterday that a complex conservation deal that we've been working on since March, and that involves land swaps and conservation easements, may fall apart for reasons that are completely out of our control. It's not dead yet (thanks, Monty Python), but we'll be pretty unhappy if it is not salvaged. And all our commission can do at this point is sit and watch and wait...

6.1 RW miles in the dark, and in 70 very thick and muggy degrees. I managed to grab a bit of some cooler air coming off the ocean, but that only lasted for about a third of a mile. Like Twocat yesterday, I was a bit on the damp side when I got home.

Have a greta Thursday and a greta start to your September!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Morning, back, Jay.  Although I don't speak for everyone.  They're on their own.

3.1 soggy miles in the same weather as Jay.  Also had 3.1 on Tuesday in completely different conditions.  That was 59° and dry.  today 70ish and heavy.  Both runs ended up in high 9's for pace, but Tuesday I thought I was going faster than the results and today felt like a real slog.  I'm ready for fall, even if I've broken out the Hi-vis vest.  Oh yeah, I had about a dozen gnats stuck on my face and a couple on my glasses, too.

Fingers and toes crossed for your lead, Enke.  Good luck!

Best wishes for DD and SIL2B (very short term!), Carolyn.  Have a fun wedding.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good morning guys and all to follow. Back to running in the dark again, though add me to the list of people who don't like running in heat and humidity. Fall is beautiful here with all of the color changes and cool, crisp mornings. Speaking of which, 6 and some change at 5:00 AM. IRC with low humidity and 59°. Nothing will help you get your running mojo faster than some cool, dry weather.

Congrats to DD on her upcoming wedding Carolyn. Make sure you post lots of pictures!

Good luck with the job search Enke!

Those were some awesome pictures Twocat. Are you all set for Reach the Beach?

First day of school here - for lunch lady me and my grandsons. I started a tradition last year when Will started kindergarten that I take their pictures on the first day of school, so I'm headed over there to "capture the moment" before they hop on the school bus. Then, I get to go serve mini corn dogs, broccoli and applesauce

Have a great first day of September everyone!

Mariposai

Carolyn, what a special weekend! Best wishes to your DD and soon to be son in law.

Enkie, praying for a positive outcome for the job search.

Erika, I always look forward to reading your Equinox training runs. One of these days, one of these days.

4 miles with my training partner this morning. Nice and cool weather. Just perfect for a run, I wish I had the time to run a bit longer.

May September bring us many smile miles.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

mrrun

6 miles in the soup that jay and stumpy had dodging moving trucks - the students are back!.  occasional sprinkles felt good but not enough - really wanted to break twocat rule because of the drought we're in

carolyn - congrats on wedding - have fun!

jay - hope it works out

jlynne - first day pics really show growth - a fun record

posai - you've been having some nice runs

waving to everyone else!!

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. How exciting.

7 uber goober slow miles because that's how I roll.   The weather was actually decent. My only complaint was that I thought I was flying but the garmin tells me otherwise. lol

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Not not letting the weather or season affect anything I plan to do probably ha to do loving growing up where most people wouldn't think the weather is that good but loving to fish, hunt, hike, ski or anything else with lots of close-by mountains, rivers, and inland seas full of beautiful animals, gorgeous birds and delicious fish and waterfowl.  However, I sure don't like it that much when meetings are scheduled on a beautiful, clear sky day such as today when I'd rather be doing any of the above.

I used to be a fan of point-to-points, especially for 112 miles or bike rides but, now that I can't keep up to everyone else anymore, I prefer the loopies and being around everyone else.  In fact, the bulk of more than 100 annual marathons put on the by Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club I've been a member of for the last seven years are loops of 1.1 miles (Hiratsuka) and 5K (Tokyo)

Happy wedding Carolyn - hmmm, it is on the top of Mt. Rainier, by any chance?

two mile out-and-back school commute with GS before all-day meetings.

enke: enjoy any time you have for the nice weather Seattle's been having this year.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

C-R

Wait tet's training? Oh boy I sure missed a lot.

Good luck Enke. The next job should be honored to have someone like you on the team.

Wild - congrats to DD. Fun times for you and the family.

Sorry about the snag Jay. Hopefully it will work out.

Long days lately so I took a rest day yesterday. Back at it for 4.5. Even looking at XC races this fall. I may give this running thing a go.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

7 uber goober slow miles because that's how I roll.   T

Nancy - 10 miles and then 12-hours of work - you are amazing!

Enke - 54 miles of biking - that is a lot! Way more than I have ever done.

Carolyn - congrats on DD's wedding!

Nothing for me today so far. I had an early morning meeting and just didn't leave enough time to get any workout in.  Lump-o-lard here....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Howdy Do, Folks!  I'm still around, but have been gone a lot and haven't been running hardly at all.  BUT - I managed to drag myself out of bed at 4:00 and got in 6 slow miles.  Better 'n a sharp stick to the eye!

So that's it.  Work is still crazy hectic, but at least I'm home for awhile . . . . until Portland.  Then I'm not going anywhere for a long while!

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Slug-o-the-day here!  Just 3.2.  No reason for the slacking.

Turns out DH's PT here is from Iowa, is a cyclist, and did Ragbrai last year.

Twocat wrote: "My clothing was soaked by the time I returned to the hotel. Literally, it looked like I had taken a shower in them." 
                        I do get that.  --It's why we hang around in the Country Club parking lot Sunday am after the long bridge run--to dry off before getting in our cars.  It often looks like a toga party, with folks wrapping themselves in towels.

And we found an interesting little place down by the river.   Hmm......

We're trying to make a Paternity Quota here so must toddle along.  Fingers crossed for the project Jay, and the job, ENke.

Tomorrow is DH's bday so I have some errands to tend to as well.

grins,

A

ps--kinda nice how Steve checks in on the daily from the day before...sort of like checking in on everyone.  G'night Johnboy!  G'night Tagdog!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Morning all,

Carolyn, I hope the wedding is a super great experience. Did you have to do any of the planning? What is the mother of the bride wearing?  Please do take pictures!

Tet and Jlynne, I envy you being close to your grandkids so much.  I feel like taking a grandma trip but no one has invited me.

Lori, that .9 mile loop would drive me bonkers, I think.  Better than 12 times around the YMCA track, but not much.

Erika - you will still do fine at the Equinox even though you've been sidelined.  I sure hope you have good weather for it. So, working 8 to 5 is a long day?

Twocat - I too loved the pictures from yesterday.

Jay, I sure hope that your project gets over this hurdle.  Who actually does not want conservation?  We had that muggy weather the other day, ugh is right!  I am looking forward to a sunny, cool run after work. Yesterday I went out in the dark at 5:30am but bagged it after 2 miles.  Fall is my favorite season for almost everything, including running. I am sort of wishing I had a garden this year, kind of miss the canning of tomatoes.  I guess I can always hit the farmers market. I also love sitting by a bonfire roasting hot dogs and marshmallows.  Maybe this weekend will get to do that!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

So, working 8 to 5 is a long day?

Ha, I wish. An 8 a.m. meeting of this group requires being here early to finish setting up. Yesterday included (as most of my days do) working through any so-called lunch break. Getting out a little after 5 for an 11 mile run, then coming back to my desk at 7 for some finish up, sending some e-mails and getting ready for the next day (today). I always check my e-mail before going to bed and first thing in the morning (yes, obsessive but it can help stave off a lot of grief later). So all my days are long, but yesterday was especially hectic and stressful.

Jay, how awful to not be able to intervene... that's worse than putting up a good fight and losing. Hope it works out.

Holly  Stop that.

Jlynne as a lunch lady, the thought always makes me smile. I hope the kids appreciate what a delightful lunch lady they have! First day of school pictures are so fun. I wasn't very good at doing those regularly.

4.8 easy effort miles today. Actually took off a little after noon today! We have a staff "picnic" event this evening where I'll be hosting a table on employee benefits and wellness. Everyone else can relax and have fun, I'll still be working. Rats.

Marathon Maniac #957

We have a staff "picnic" event this evening where I'll be hosting a table on employee benefits and wellness. Everyone else can relax and have fun, I'll still be working. Rats.

Do you at least get to have a glass of wine and some food?

I never did get around to doing anything.  The truth is that my knee is sore, again, kind of in an angry way, pes anserine area, and I was hoping to do a long run/walk this weekend, and so I decided to give it several days to stop being sore.  Tomorrow I will do weights and core and bike trainer and then Saturday attempt maybe 14 miles.  If I only run/walk once per week, maybe I can build up to a long distance run at Portland.

DD had an EKG, performed by her nurse practitioner at her annual exam that had a "slight irregularity."  Tomorrow we have an appointment at the cardiologist office at Dayton Children's Hospital to have it checked out.  I asked if they could just have the cardiologist look at the EKG that was already done, but was told that the doctor doesn't have faith that the first one was done correctly.  So, this probably goes under the category of "unnecessary tests" and I am not happy about forking out more money for medical bills (we still haven't received the bill for the hand x-rays done at the hospital), but it's my girl, so what can I do?  We will do the test and be grateful to pay to hear the news that she is absolutely fine, because the alternative of paying for a "necessary test" that shows something wrong is definitely NOT the preferred result.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Do you at least get to have a glass of wine and some food?

Food yes, but I don't think there will be anything stronger than iced tea and lemonade... And yes, it's hard when faced with what seems like unnecessary tests, but so often we're left feeling like there's nothing we can do. I might be tempted to ask why they feel the first one was done incorrectly, and if the second one shows the same result do you really have to pay for it? Might be worth a try.