Masters Running

Oreos (Read 38 times)

will run for popsicles

It was a cold February night in Huntsville, Tejas. I had dropped from the Rocky 50 and was stranded at the start/finish line. I was cold. I was hungry. I was desperate. I asked my friends the Flying Matzes if I could have an Oreo. They had seven cases in their swanky "California Cool Kids Only" tent. NO, they screamed in unison. We have barely enough for ourselves!!!! I cried myself to sleep, and survived on sticks and pine cones for the duration.

Fast forward a few months. A package arrives at my doorstep. It's from those same Flying Matzes. Inside is a bottle of suspicious wine (is "plungerhead" a Fancy Boy brand?)  in a sock monkey holder, a pine cone AND A PACKAGE OF OREOS!!!!! All was forgiven. Until I opened the bounty.

They had eaten the Oreos and filled the package with Newtons, the most vile cookie ever invented. Plus, if you eat them you turn into a forefoot striker. It was a sad day.

As always happens with karma, they have gone through a series of injuries since. A baker's cyst, a fractured hip, a bad ankle, many questionable tattoos. Life limps along when you run.

And then tonight.

My co-worker Jayson stopped by my desk on his way out. A 50-mile finisher at Rocky, he's been nursing a nasty cold lately, and I suppose he was looking for karma. He gave me this.

They're real Oreos. And there are about 300 of them. Enough for me, the Fez Monkey AND Casey Colt, with leftovers for tomorrow's run.

The moral? Don't mess with karma. Never get the entire text of "Once A Runner" tattooed on your torso. That had to hurt. And maybe, always drink your wine out of a sock monkey.

I hope the Flying Matzes drop by with milk later. Or at least some more plungerhead wine ...

Mike E

MM #5615

Umm...nice...but don't rip my Fig Newtons.

coastwalker

Given what they did on the first round, I don't know that I'd be so quick to look for milk from the Flying Matzes. And I'm not so sure I'd want that Plungehead varietal from anyone!  Smile  Good tale, though. I'm sure Karma appreciated it...

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Keep up the good work, Mo Boy.

TomS

Slo

Big grin

I guess I'm a forefoot striker.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Didn't realize Oreos were so closely tied to karma.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Yep, bad karma is bad, bad, bad!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

After drinking the bottle of Plungerhead, perhaps those fig newtons would begin to resemble Oreos.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

After drinking the bottle of Plungerhead, perhaps those fig newtons would begin to resemble Oreos.....

+1 Big grinBig grin

I LOVE my fig newtons!!

denise

will run for popsicles

this is an excellent theory in need of extensive field testing.

C-R

I've had plungerhead (sans sock monkey) and it is good. Not as good as a fig newton (hey as an engineer - anything with newton in the name is ok by me) but still good.

That is all. Back to your regularly scheduled program(s).

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

an amazing likeness

Why are there both a skull and a happy face in the background?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

will run for popsicles

Why are there both a skull and a happy face in the background?

Mo (my dw, who gave me the name Mo Boy), is an arteeeeeeest. So the decor tends to be a bit eclectic.

LOL!!!

Guess what, I love Fig Newtons, and hate Oreos!!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

this is an excellent theory in need of extensive field testing.

MoBoy, you are cool!

I am glad you decided to join this group!

Love my oreos too Big grin

Ohh and wine too, of course1

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard