Masters Running

City of Oaks Marathon training run (Read 238 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

City of Oaks Marathon – perchcreek

November 1, 2009 – Raleigh, NC

2009 started great with a best race ever (20K) in February and then went downhill from there with first a right leg injury (adductor) (missed Boston) and then left leg (knee) which made training off and on with a peak 8 weeks out from City of Oaks with 19 and 20 mile runs at 8:00 and 8:20 pace. Then the knee issues caused backing off the pace and hills.

I had Dr's ok to run the marathon

The City of Oaks was to be run at training pace based on feel. When I arrived for the race and did some warm-up jogging, I felt some soreness in the quad above the knee. Not a no-go type pain, just sore enough to limit the pace. The weather was low 50's with lots of rain around off and on. The course is very hilly and much more difficult than Boston. The goal was to finish and still be able to try a second marathon November 14th (Richmond) and then take time to heal the leg properly.

The race was a mix of ½ Marathon and full Marathon starting together (3/1 ratio half/full). I started mid pack thinking this is going to be a long run if the leg hurts each foot fall! We started with only light rain and then the rain picked up and wind was blowing from the east. It was a pack of people (2900 runners) up until mile 8.5 where the half marathoners split off an a trickle of us full continued on into the hills.

I always look forward to mile 10 of marathons because I'm always in a groove, feeling great by then. Not today. At mile 10 we were running uphill into driving rain that stung the face and the mile marker sign hanging on a post was parallel to the ground! I was thinking of WRFB, PDR and LaT running Amica. If they can do this so can I. Luckily that was one of only a few into the wind parts and we turned out of it by mile 11 to face hills with rivers of water pouring down the road so the shoes go splish splash, mile after mile. Head down, with cap to keep rain off my glasses, enjoying watching the rivers parting on my shoes.

Going up the big hills between miles 13-15 I came up on two Maniacs/50 staters (1446,1447) Cathy (age 55) and Troy(Age 62) Johnson running their 104th marathon! Miles 15-19 were through Umstead park with splish splash mud and big hills. From mile 17.5 to 22 it is almost all uphill. Since I was running 10:00-9:30 paces the first half, I was able to pass a lot of runners going up those latter hills. At mile 16, I saw the 4:15 pace group ahead and thought I really got to beat them at least. About mile 19 I came across Maniac 857, Matt "Sockman" Jenkins wearing Socks with some kind of sole (leather?). Since I'm reading Born to Run, I thought that was very cool.

Crowd support was spotty and they had Heed instead of Gator Aid with a flavor like watermellon or something, REALLY aweful stuff. I took gu's at 6, 10, 14, 18 and alternated water and “Heave” every 2 miles or so. Only 2 e-caps at mile 6 since temp was 50's and rain so it was not too warm at all.

At mile 20 my quad stopped hurting but my glute and adductor took it's place. I was able to quickenthe pace to 9:00 and I started passing lots of runners and caught the 4:15 pacer at mile 24. Sadistically, Mile 26 is uphill followed by a downhill finish.

4:12:23 (9:38 pace)  first half 2:08:22; second half 2:04:01

(23 minutes slower than last year but I raced it then so that doesn't count)

Marathon #10 done

8/20 AG

274/649 OA

.….about right for a training run with a gimpy leg on hills, rain, wind and mud!

I actually enjoyed this marathon just pushing slow and steady through whatever it dished out.

Fingers crossed for Richmond!

Elevation profile:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/lateboomer/CityofOaksElevation.jpg

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

perch, in your lead up to this marathon you sure were jinxed with injuries and setbacks.  It sounds as though you had a good combination of dedication and caution as you planned and executed the race.  You knew about the hills ahead of time but the wind and rain added insult to injury (I didn't mean this to be a pun but it ended up that way).  Congratulations on running a fine race.  I hope you will be in good shape for Richmond.

TomS

"What does not kill us makes us stronger"  If that is true then you should be very strong in the near future.

Heal up & best wishes for a great race in Richmond

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

rlemert

Good job in miserable conditions. I remember thinking that morning that the runners were probably going to really not like that wind; glad to hear it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Thanks also for identifying the Johnsons for me. I was a course monitor for this race (the guy in the orange reflector vest just after you made the turn by the Bell Tower), and I remember when they came by me. I don't remember seeing the other guy, though (was he wearing a MM singlet too?); maybe he came by when I was paying more attention to the cars coming through.

Tramps

Tough one but you were smart to play this low-key and save your best for Richmond where you will rock!

P.S.  You're not the first person I've heard refer to that stuff as "Heave"!  Thankfully, I've never tried it.

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow - 8th in your AG, and you weren't even racing!  Good luck at Richmond - then you can get one of those ugly yellow shirts too!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

You are a tough guy Steve - running a tough course!    Congratulations on your placment - without even really "racing".   I hope the Richmond weather is much kinder to you.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Watermelon flavored Heed and rain, rain, rain - NOT what I would want in a marathon. 

In spite of your set-backs, though, you seem to have made it through without injury (I say this keeping my fingers crossed), which is a success with any run of this distance, no matter what the pace.  I hope with some rest this week and next that you will have a better marathon on 11/14. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Amazing training run perchcreek in less than easy conditions on some tough hills. You are a strong and astute runner and always great about celebrating the entire sport.

I hope the aches and pains behave for a good day in Richmond.

Congratulations on getting to number 10 and counting!

evanflein

Yeah, not a big fan of Heed. Or rain. Good job on dealing with both. I do have to say though, that I find this multiple marathons while nursing injuries idea sort of interesting. I get a bunch of crap when I try it. Will be fun to see how you pull it off.

Renee the dog

Dude, you are one tough cookie!  GREAT performance in poor conditions!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

A lot of  these bad weather marthons this fall. I hope you get better weather for your upcoming race. Congrats on a great race/training run.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Congrats on just finishing that one, Steve, let alone with an 8th in your AG.

Great fortitude.

Onward to Richmond, and may the sun shine (but not too warmly) for you all.

grins,

A

ps: take care of that glute/adductor--is it piriformis related?

Masters 2000 miles
                            dg.

Perch what a training run!    sounds like it accomplished it's purpose, that's for sure.   Very well done!   You are tough.  I loved this part.   "enjoying watching the rivers parting on my shoes."    couldn't decide whether you meant that or not.   Smile

How's your knee/quad/glute/adductor??     I have knee/ glute/adductor things too.  actually, quad too.  sports med doc says it's my S/I, fwiw.   

Can't wait for Richmond!     

Nice "training run", Perch.  You're not nearly as big a whiner as I am - just quietly and cheerfully dealing with a gimpy leg, poor weather and a tough course - and admitting to enjoying it all.  Splish splash.

Don't do anything crazy before the 14th, and let the IRC-gods shine upon you.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason