Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 8.7.17 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s workouts:
    Tramps (31 mile morning bike ride)
    Henrun & Marj (2 mile walk/run along the Charles in great weather)
    RunnerKSA (4.5 morning miles, including a little extra)
    Stumpy (4.1 miles in cool temps, and with hillage)
    Catwhoorg (18 miles)
    Holly (13 back-at-home miles)
    Spacityrunner (3.5 humid but rain-free miles)
    Mike (6 nighttime miles)

Wildchild (5 mile hike with house guests)

Evanflein (7.7 hot & sweaty afternoon miles)

Mariposai (7 mountain miles with the EP)

Lots of good advice and interesting insights about choosing colleges. Always a tough call.

Nice ‘marathon,’ Tramps.

Henrun, the Chauncey Creek Lobster Pier has been around for a long time, and rarely disappoints. Joanie is amazing, isn’t she? I’m glad you had a chance to run with her, even without the “added help.”

Stumpy, I also saw that story about the finish of the Beach To Beacon, and am very glad that no one was disqualified at the finish - inspiring.

Welcome back home, Holly. Nice run on your return - I would have thought that coming back to a lower elevation would have made it seem easier.

Twocat, I doubt you are the only one who chose a college based on how far it was from home. Good for you for not running in the rain on Saturday. Just take it easy on your runs till you get back to eating and full strength.

I hope you got to chillax (great word!) yesterday, Tammy.

I'm sorry about you going back in the IR roster, Fatozzig, but it seems the right/necessary thing to do. I hope it'll be short-lived, and that you'll come back stronger than ever.

Sounds like great new climbing friends, Wildchild. Yes, you can say you're training for Leadville, but you may need a footnote to go with that.

It's great that DH was there with your Nuun when you needed it, Evanflein.

I'm sorry you had to travel so far to get to run, Mariposai, but congrats on doing that, and on the huckleberry find.

We agree that Pfriese & crew are biking animals?

Yesterday (a beautiful early-Fall day) went as planned: longish RW workout, lawn mowing & weed pulling, food prep (appies & dessert), lobster-feasting at Chauncy Creek with good friends, then home - head on pillow - gone.

Nice morning, but it's my SRD, so I slept in and was greatful for being able to do that.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  Another week begins!

3.2 with the humidity back.  According to the posts on our local running group FB page, there is a lot of burnout right now and reluctance to get out the door.  I can understand.....   2 miles on the treadmill after work.  5.2 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 miles at lunch.  Caught a couple of drops of rain.

Whilst eating my lunch after the run, the heavens opened and it poured.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Waiting to board at Logan. Hard to believe that I saw beautiful sunrise on the island at 6am this morning.

I did pack pack running stuff for tomorrow. We'll see how that works out.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...well, SIL went to Cardiologist today, so here's hoping......

============

4x10

go to Initial Appt with Hip Surgeon on the 18th,

with luck

he can tell me what's going on

..................good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TomW - Prayers for your SIL and your hip.  You know, you help me keep things in perspective.

Jay - I am finding sleep to be so wonderful these days.  The Hub and I actually slept in until after 8:00 yesterday.   That never happens.

Carolyn - Say WHAT?!?  You're pacing at Leadville??  I wanna hear ALL about it when you're done.  Who are you pacing?

Was it a full moon last night?  I was ready to kill 2 cats between 1:30 and 3:30.

Will do my core and upper body ST when I get home tonight.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

BTY

Good afternoon all,

A non-running post for me.  Yesterday was our family reunion (my six siblings and all of our kids plus Mom, an Aunt, a cousin, our grandkids, etc).  As the one with grown children and no grandchildren (and a truck), I offered to provide grills and propane tanks and other heavy stuff. I don't recall lifting anything in an incorrect manner, but I woke up this morning with a burning sensation on my gluteus medius, on the same side as my sore hip and achy sacroiliac.  I did go to the gym to do my low back and hip stretches, then it was a chest and shoulder day after that; but I decided not to go for a run or even a walk during lunch (or coffee break walks either), and we'll see how everything feels tomorrow.   On the bright side, it did feel significantly better after stretching, and nothing hurt any worse after the strength exercises.  And at this moment I feel a sense of accomplishment in exercising some discipline instead of  exercising some parts that need a rest.

Pool (billiards, not swimming) night at a co-worker's house tonight.   I think he's planning to make it into a Monday night "thing".  I'm hoping so.  At least, it sounds good now.  Leaving my wallet in the glove box of my truck to keep it fun.  

Happy Running!

coastwalker hard to believe you had time to sleep with your Sunday schedule.

catwhoorg whew! Close call there on the no running in the rain rule.

stumpy77 kind of a drag when that no longer on the island thing happens, eh?

fatozzig close to a full moon last night! More cat yowling to come.

BTY funny how in this group it is not working out that takes self discipline. Go among the regular folk and that is not a problem!

pfriese my DW and I every now and then talk about doing a bike ride like you are. Sounds like quite an adventure.

Mariposai get out of Dodge until the smoke clears.

evanflein I suspect procrastinating is temping for you since it is probably still light quite late.

wildchild biopsy results are due in tomorrow. At worst it the problem is precancerous and I need to get the area lasered. Nothing serious is expected. Pretty amazing meeting up with your climbing found friends a second time in Mexico like that.

Mike E you all are just mean!  Oww!

Tongue is still a ways from healed up. Eating macaroni and cheese is still a challenge. Not one to let a little starvation stop me, I went out for a 6 mile run today to see how things would go. They went fine. Looks like I have enough fat on my body to keep going for at least a little while. Tomorrow I am going to try for another run. Tonight dinner looks like a soup I do not have to chew to get down. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

fatozzig close to a full moon last night! More cat yowling to come.

Looks like I have enough fat on my body to keep going for at least a little while. Tomorrow I am going to try for another run. Tonight dinner looks like a soup I do not have to chew to get down. 

Full Moon - Well, crap.  I may have to deploy the squirt bottle - or kick The Hub and make him deal with things.

Booo!! on the whole tongue issue.  You should yourself some kind of fancy slurping straw to at least try and make things a little more fun.

Image result for fancy straws

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

twocat, by procrastinating means I left at 2:30 pm... no risk of it getting dark.  But it did get hot out there in the sun. Today was a little cooler, but mainly because I left earlier. Still got plenty hot and sweaty though. 5.2 miles at lunchtime.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Sun and more sun.

Today’s equaling the 66-year old record of 51 day sine rain with not another drop in sight until maybe the weekend. Though, combined with smoke pollution from BC fires, it’s produced an unhealthy air quality ranking twice as bad as Beijing, there’s lots of non-stop complaining about it but, quite frankly, it’s a pleasant change from  the rainiest winter in 122 years of weather-keeping and the paltry 65-year old Seattle rain streak of 28 days.  Nothing like the 49 days where I grew up a little southeast of Erika-land and Rosie’s recent marathon.

Blue Angels

Spent the weekend enjoying temps up into the nineties by floating around Lake Washington in a River-Rat inner tube while the amazing Blue Angels performed aerobatic feats of precision flying that would put the world’s best aerial skiers to shame, to say nothing of anyone who complained about a revolving capsule on a carnival ride.  <<<(that would be me)>>>

Forest Fires

BC forest fire smoke is so thick that the deep orange moon isn’t even visible once it’s within 10-15o or so of the horizon and the sun rise is similarly delayed. However, sunsets are somehow still able to burn through the haze with a brilliancy having everyone watching in awe and, oddly enough, without any apparent retinal damage even from looking right at it.  Too bad the haze won’t last until the solar eclipse on 8/21.   However, even then, I peeked at the sun during the one up here in 1979 without any problem.  Oh, maybe that’s why I’ve recently gotten a belated Fuch’s Distrophy that’ll need some transplanting eventually.

Happy birthday, MikeE.

In spite of everything, I hope it was a happy one.

I’m probably way out-of-line on this, especially since neither I, nor maybe no one else either, understands everything that’s going on with your BIL but I hope you can share enough joy maybe to get him to reconsider. However, everyone’s different but I hope I don’t have to feel it necessary to throw in the towel for the sake of a couple of well-worn feet someday.

Off so read someone’s RR now.

Thanks rosie.

ps paul - super nice riding.

How's the altitude all-of-a-sudden?

Huh? the Continental Divide's flat?

Are you sure?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

tet--I had the same thoughts about my BIL.  But that guy has been dealing with diabetes and all the issues that disease brings for over 50 years.  He's had a kidney transplant.  He is legally blind.  He has lost a couple of toes from infections. He's on his second round of dialysis that wipes him out three times a week.  He has been sick for so long and he's just tired of the fight.  I really don't know what I would do in his situation.

I went 8.1 miles on the middle school track.  Including 5 x 1000's in 3:48 - 3:43 - 3:43 - 3:43 - 3:43.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks Mike. Me too.

So sorry, and for everybody.

With sunset at 8:33pm and full moon rising at 8:38pm, I came up to the 73rd floor Skyline Observation Deck of the Columbia Tower but smoke too thick to make much of the former and none of the latter. Kind of like the end of the world.  Very creepy.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)