Masters Running

Monday again, 11.18.19 (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good luck, whatever you decide about Hong Kong, Twocat.

Sounds like a great concert, Tramps! I'm glad you went, even if you didn't get to bed till after midnight.

Agreed, Rochrunner - maybe a midweek run would do you good.

Sorry about the end of your raking routine, Tet. But I'll be glad when mine is done.

Nice run, KSA. I can't imagine you would not be entertaining at dinner or any other event. I hope the evening's events went well.

Nice 20-miler, Falconfixer!

Thanks for cheering our niece in Richmond, RCG. I'm sure she appreciated it.

Nice workout, despite the blahs, Tomwhite.

Clearly music and the artists who perform define generations. I have some appreciation of some the music that came before me, and a smattering of appreciation of the music that is now popular. I still listen to what I grew up with, including the Who.

I'm glad you took advantage of the IRC, Joe.

80°, Surly Bill!! We won't see that again till July! It appears that you can take Dunkin's ice cream…

Nice trail run in mild weather, WildChild.

Good 14+ miler, Quickadder!

Good 6 on a blah day, Mike.

Welcome back, Mariposai, and good gym workout.

Dunkin'll come around in his own way, on his own schedule, Steve.

I called yesterday to switch my Medicare prescription drug plan to a different one with the same provider (Humana) I've had since I started on Medicare. It should have taken about 15 minutes, but it took well over an hour on the phone. including wasted time with a 'mandatory' automated sign-up system that was awful and ultimately didn't work. I finally got it done, but I will never go through that again with them - I'll switch to another provider first. Between that and the phone problems on Saturday, this was a frustrating technology weekend.

I spent 4 minutes in bed this morning, deciding whether to sleep in or head out. It will likely be raining tomorrow morning, so I headed out today for 6.5 RW miles in 34° temps - 15 degrees milder than yesterday, and a lot more comfortable. 

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  Aren't insurance issues fun?     Steve- Dunkin must have had some real trauma and it will take time.  I'm glad he has you and your family.

Welcome back, Posie!

3 miles this morning that I did NOT want to go do- but I did.   Dinner party went well.  Ken did the cooking and it was fun conversation.  He made the first pumpkin pie of the season. I'm afraid if I retire I might have to do more around the house, but he's so OCD about a lot of things that he has "HIS" way and likes to do things himself.   So- off to work I go!  Smile 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Utter Chaos here and we just ran out of chocolate chip cookies! 

I got in 3 miles this morning at the park.

We got my mother-in-law moved over the weekend. Cindy helped, as did my sister-in-law, niece, and nephew but it was me and the son-in-law (from Michigan) that did the heavy lifting. I am no SteveP so my forearms were almost cramping by the end of Saturday and it was getting hard to grip things.  Power chairs and beds weigh a lot.

This week I have be somewhat productive at work for 2.5 days while also packing. I am off Wednesday afternoon through Friday for our move. We hired folks to do the heavy lifting for our move, but we'll be making trips with our cars full of stuff we don't want bouncing around in the truck.

Good morning folks. Remember me?  Thanks for the start-up Jay. I've been lurking and trying to keep up with all of you these past weeks. This is one busy group of people!

<skip this part if you're in a hurry>

We went on our Viking cruise at the end of October. I can't say enough good things about the Viking organization and the crew that was on our ship. We had to get off at one point, get on a bus to get shuttled to the next port, and get on another Viking ship that was docked there to continue on our journey. Low water on the Danube has caused some issues for cruise lines this fall. We started in Budapest, went to Vienna, Regensburg, Nuremburg and ended with 3 days in Prague. I would go back to Prague again - it was a great way to finish our trip. We were blessed with near perfect weather. Sunny and in the 50's and 60's during the day - great for walking (which we did a lot of) and touring. We visited castles, abbeys, sausage shops, cathedrals, the huge stadium where Hitler gave his speeches during his time in power, beer gardens and I even got to ride an E Bike. Just a great experience if you ever get a chance. When I got home, I was sick for two weeks with a cold/flu that I'm sure I picked up on the plane. I was just so grateful that I didn't feel awful until we actually got home! Last week I had a victrectomy on my right eye. They took 90% of the vitreous fluid out and did laser surgery on some spots that were causing me problems. The final step was to insert a bubble in my eye to help keep the retina in place until everything is healed. The good news? My vision (as it is) seems much better. The bad news? Every time I put my head down I see that bubble! I have no depth perception and it makes me very nauseated. I'm also restricted to no high intensity exercise for two weeks. Lovely. Just as the holiday season is starting, all I can do is walk on the treadmill. No running, no elliptical, no weights. Anyway, I'll survive and am grateful that I was able to have the surgery done since it was really affecting my vision.

Holly - prayers to your FIL. Cancer does indeed suck.

Dave - good luck with your move! The good news is you probably didn't have time to accumulate a lot of stuff since you weren't there long enough!

Glad the ransom was paid and you're back in safe hands Mariposai.

I'm happy Dunkin found you Steve. You'll be great together, just give it a little time.

Erika - well, it's too early to deal with the weather you've been having. Time to retire and rent a condo in Hawaii I think?

5 miles on the treadmill this morning at a whopping 15 minute mile and 20 minutes on a recumbent bike. That's all I got. But it's better than nothing! Have a great Monday everyone.

Jeanne- glad you got the laser procedure.  The bubble will dissolve, so won't bother you for too long.  I had to be face down (or looking down) for over a week with my bubble.  30 minutes of every hour I had to be facing down so the bubble could do it's thing.

Karen, how long before the bubble disappears?  It’s driving me crazy!  How’s your vision now?  And this no makeup thing?  I never thought I was a vain person but now I’m not so sure! 😏

Tramps

Thanks, Jay. (Psst, single-payer. )

Tet--Hmmm. I don't think you can enlarge pics after posting.

Welcome back, Mariposai....though I'm not certain I totally followed what went on during this trip.

Jlynne--Hope your eye issues improve quickly. Sounds like a great trip, too.

Dave--I don't envy you. Moving is a lot of work, however you cut it.  Good luck.

Re: music. I once read a book called "Your Brain on Music," that argued most people's attachment to music of their youth is biologically based. The gist was that our brain development during adolescence includes solidifying our identity and sense of self. As a result, the music we choose during this period becomes associated with our sense of "who we are" and tends to be more long-lastingly resonant than music we hear later in life. I know nothing about the science behind this but it struck me as an interesting and plausible explanation.

On the other hand, I don't listen to much heavy metal (the music of my adolescence) any more. Though every now and then....

5 miles on a gray, misting morning followed by firewood hauling to load the wood box.

Have a great week.

Be safe. Be kind.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hello, Masters!  I did a lot of singing and a bit of baking over the weekend, and now I'm back working.  Singing and baking are more fun!!  Also a bajillion people seem to have emailed me over the weekend, so I'm trying to catch up with that.  No biking today, since it's supposed to rain this afternoon, but I did do my morning weights.  Looking forward to being off for Thanksgiving, even if it is still over a week away!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Happy Monday, Friends -

I read thru yesterday's post, but never got a chance to post myself.  After church, I spent 5 hours baking - a blueberry/sour cream/cream cheese bundt cake for a friend's birthday dinner tonight, walnut chocolate chip cookies for the The Hub, and a big batch of granola.  The bundt cake weighs a ton.  I'm hoping it's as good as it looks.  Took half the batch of cookies to our neighbors who share homemade Mexican treats with us once in awhile.

Music - I definitely lean on what I grew up with, and have gotten worse as I get older thinking the music coming out now generally sucks.  Tramps - That concert would've been right up my alley.  And The Hub is falling back more and more on his hard rock, with Ozzy Osborne being his #1.

Welcome back, Posie.  You've been missed.

SteveP - Dunkin will come around. Maybe not to ice cream, though . . . .  With those responses, it makes me sad to think what he may have gone thru, but happy he's in such a good place now.

Holly - I'm real sorry hear about your FIL.  His prognosis solidifies my belief that people who are terminally ill should be allowed to decide when and how they die, with respect and dignity.

JLynne - Sounds like a fun trip!  A number of years ago, we found a really inexpensive flight/room combo to Prague and spent 10 days there.  Absolutely loved it.  We walked and walked and walked and walked.  Every time you turned a corner there was another amazing building, door, etc. Spent a day traveling outside the city on the train to a couple of cathedrals and the Sedlec Ossuary.  If anyone is a fan of architecture, that's the place to go. And the people are wonderful, too.  I'd go back there in a hot second if the opportunity presented itself.

My old cat is driving me crazy at night.  Thankfully, we have a vet appt in a couple of weeks to address (1) his horrendous breath and (2) maybe his insatiable appetite.  They're gonna want to do blood work and put him on medication, but that ain't happening.  I need to remember to feed him well before we go to bed and hope that sort of solves the problem.  Between him and Wilson - someone's gonna get hurt and it'll probably be The Hub. 

Anyway - nothing for me yesterday or today.  I'll get back with it tomorrow.  Enjoy ~~

Image result for monday monday images

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Jeanne- mine was detached retina surgery (emergency) and the bubble is pretty aggressive and fills your whole eye.  As it starts to dissolve, you see it (inverted image) and it is annoying.  It took at least 3 weeks.  I wasn't allowed to do anything but walk until the bubble was completely gone.  Sounds like yours is smaller if you can see it so I bet it is sooner.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tramps - thanks.

grey and misty in the PNW too.

I guess it's necessary to use "quote" to change pic size for viewing.

Jeanne - nice river crusin’.
                        Sorry for all the medical follow-ups

but glad they were after vs. before the cruise.

Nice havin’ Medicare though, . . . no matter what we have to go through to get it.

Jay - enough leaves on the lawn from yesterday’s steady rains for about twenty minutes of j-o’clock rainless raking under a clear sky and fading moon as a warm-up for three miles looping around the Hillside stairs as the morning fog rolled in turning everything a Trampsian grey and misty too before planning for some more miles in the local bike club’s November Ride-in-the-Rain Challenge, . . . as soon as the sun burns off the fog.

ps twocat - make sure your venue is as far away from Hong Kong Polytech University as p ossible.

Approach to 32 stairs adding up to 748
                        so far on the way to another thousand.

note doggy path on side for avoiding

stairs when running down.

Image may contain: plant, outdoor and nature

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

43°

4 walking miles.

First two were with Steve and Jane and Mike and Ralph the "Rocket Scientist". The last 2 were just us two.

The last mile the RS started speaking in equations. Because the name of the microbrewery we went to on Saturday was called "Final Gravity". He questioned the name and elaborated on why it made no sense by using equations that I didn't understand. My mistake was asking if he thought Final Gravity had anything to do with Terminal Velocity. He proceeded to use equations to describe the difference between terminal velocity and gravity.

I am proud of myself for paying attention.

Room temperature

50 minutes of pilates flow 1.0

Music:

5 Bands I liked in high school (class of 1981)

Steely Dan

J Geils Band

The Cars

REO Speedwagon

David Bowie

And five more:

Credence Clearwater Revival

Crosby Stills Nash and Young

Van Morrison

The Doors

Neil Diamond

I still like these bands.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Tramps

The last mile the RS started speaking in equations. Because the name of the microbrewery we went to on Saturday was called "Final Gravity". He questioned the name and elaborated on why it made no sense by using equations that I didn't understand. My mistake was asking if he thought Final Gravity had anything to do with Terminal Velocity. He proceeded to use equations to describe the difference between terminal velocity and gravity.

I am proud of myself for paying attention.

Be safe. Be kind.

anneb

Hello, masters. I too didn't get around to posting over the weekend, sometimes RA on my iPhone is just SO slow. So in general I'll try to read but then get fed up when it takes minutes to just go from page 1 to 2... so posting seems out.

Nice running over the weekend, all.

SteveP - our former doggie G ate ice cream forever (loved it); until one time (he was probably already 11-12 at this point) he ate it too fast and ended up throwing it all up almost instantly. Luckily we were outside, at the ice cream shoppe. We figured he just ate it too fast but it happened the next time we let him have a scoop at home. So after that, no more ice cream! That dog got enough other treats though...

Jay - sorry about the technology problems. And I'm shaking my head at why someone would tell you a phone that you bought locked should be unlocked after 6 months (without anything else happening - how would that happen automatically?). Any time you buy from a carrier, it's going to be locked, whether or not it's your device or payment plan or whatever.

On Saturday I tweaked my back while I was getting ready for my run. Pulling on a sock, awkwardly, and felt that (more than a) twinge around the right QL. It is fine for easy running and most things but sitting is very uncomfortable. Which sucks because I sit most of the day. Ugh! Much 30's and gloominess over this way but I've realized (again) that I do like running in the 30's - not too cold, etc. 4.5 early, mostly dark, neighborhood miles for me today to start the week. I hear the rest of our snow should melt by mid-week (it's almost gone), yippie!

Hope everyone has a great Monday.

Anne

TammyinGP

good morning all!

Holly, I'm so sorry to hear of your FIL and his prognosis. I'm with Leslie - this, to me, is the example of why/when people should have the choice to control when they depart.

maybe Dunkin just doesn't like ice cream? I think some dogs tend to know when something doesn't sit right in their bellies and will avoid it. maybe he's lactose intolerant 

couple runs over the weekend. 10 mile trail race on Saturday and then just a couple miles yesterday at home. a few piles of fresh, and I mean very fresh!, bear scat on the trails behind my house  - so I think that bear had just been through during the night sometime.

Tammy