Masters Running

Where is the Friday 12/23 Daily? (Read 24 times)

Mike E posted his, as always, very witty Christmas poem today and then . . . then . . . nobody started the daily?! Hay, what gives? So here I am to run into the breach so to speak.

My DW and I ran 5 miles each this morning. The weather was not horrible. Well, not horrible for winter in New England. It would be really horrible if say you were in Florida. But you take what you can get. 

In Christmas news of sorts: My Hanukkah present arrived this morning. I know that because I found it at the front door where the delivery guy left it when I returned from running.  It was not a surprise anyway. I asked my DW for a Camp Chef 24" gas smoker and that is what I got! Kind of joint present in a way. DW has already put in an order for my ribs. I want to try and make a brisket. A friend of mine with a smoker makes awesome briskets and I want to see if having a real smoker will let me do as good a job.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

I ran 10.1 this morning. It'll take a week for my hands to warm up.

evanflein

Thanks, Twocat! I've been checking the forum a couple times, but I refused to start the thread for all you east coasters. GL with the smoker!

Dave, I know that feeling. I also get a frosty butt for hours, but I think that's a female thing...

Not a bad day here either, for December 23 in Fairbanks, but I'm going to do my easy 5 miles on the treadmill when I get home. Speaking of which, this place is pretty empty with so many people getting a head start on the break. We're closed all next week, and some have been gone a lot this week, too. I missed time earlier this month with my trips to Seattle and NYC so I'm here for the duration. Looking forward to the break, though!

I'm thinking of switching my long run to tomorrow so I don't have to be out running for two hours on Christmas Day. But then again, it's supposed to be just a little warmer on Sunday than tomorrow, so... decisions, decisions. I hope that's the toughest decision I have to make for the next 10 days.

Henrun

Beautiful winter day here- mid 40's and sunny. I did a 3 mile walk/jog-longest post surgery.

Good job Henry!

Twocat - I am jealous about your gift.  I went to a party a few weeks ago, and someone had smoked some bacon on their fancy do-dad, like yours.  It was sooo good!

Nice 10 miler, Dave!

Erika, I am baking your Pepperkaker cookies right now!  I like that they're not super sweet.

Not sure if I will run today, probably not.  It's snowing right now, but above freezing so it is really just sleet and melting as soon as it hits the ground.  I finished my assignment for the job interview - glad to get that out of the way, now I have the next 9 days off, kid-free as well, since they went to Canada to visit relatives with my ex.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Beautiful day in LA. Probably cool for the natives, but 56 felt really nice for December. 3.9 miles around the hotel. Added an extra mile when I didn't realize where I was supposed to turn.

Happy smoking TC.

Hope it's a little less than a week, Dave.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

I also get a frosty butt for hours, but I think that's a female thing...

Me, too!  I can get the rest of me pretty comfortable if I dress right, but still get the frosty butt.  I keep saying I need to sew pockets in my running pants high on the backs of my thighs and put Hot Hands in them when I run long in the cold.

I usually swim on Friday but since DD didn't have school I was lazy and slept in today.  Then I ran 3 miles on the TM and did about 35 minutes of weights and core.

DH is taking next week off work, and the kids are off.  I am off Monday only.  I was thinking today that I may take Tues, Wed, and Thurs off and just sleep in later, since no one else will be getting up early.  I could sleep until (gasp!) 6:30am if I didn't run before work.  My 2016 mileage is shot anyway.  We will see.  Given that my work week will be extremely stressful (last week of December/2016), sleeping in may be more helpful.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Had a 3 hour breakfast with 2 of my friends from nursing school - to say they are 2 of my best friends or 2 of my favorite people in the world doesn't do it justice, but they are everything to me!! We actually started in a very small, popular diner and after about an hour realized we needed to give the table to people waiting to get seated so we drove a couple miles up the road to a Dunkins and sat talking for another 2 hours!! Definitely a highlight of my week!!

40 minutes on my indoor bike trainor, followed by a 1.5 mile run in my bike shorts - it was beautiful out today and I needed the reminder of how great it feels to bike and run!!

Next adoration at church 7-8p and 2 group runs tomorrow morning to start off the Christmas Eve celebrations!!

Happy Friday my friends!!

denise

Dave, I know that feeling. I also get a frosty butt for hours, but I think that's a female thing...

Must be -- that's the last part of me I'd worry about. Fingers and toes are my weak spots, plus any exposed facial skin, which is why I usually wear a balaclava if it's much below freezing or it's windy.

Strength workout this morning. I hope to run outside tomorrow, but as usual I'm the chef for Christmas Eve dinner and I can't go out until after the scheduled time to start the slow cooker.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

Ha, yes I think it's because women have more fat on their butts (yes, even skinny women) and once it gets cold it takes a long time to warm up. Also, on the opposite side of things, there's a saying among campers around here (I guess, I've heard it a few times) that the key to staying warm all night while camping is to warm your butt by the fire till you're good and toasty, then slip into your sleeping bag. You'll stay cozy for hours! Big grin

Got off work around 3 and came home to run on the TM. Probably could've run outside but didn't feel like it and it was snowing. Nice to get an early start on the time off!

Marathon Maniac #957

I meant to say, " I was thinking today that I may take Tues, Wed, and Thurs off running and just sleep in later, since no one else will be getting up early."  I still have to go to work.

Deez - that sounds lovely!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."