Masters Running

40's 50's and Beyond On the Run w/e 9/26 (Read 344 times)

jfa

You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back

Looking forward to hearing from this weekend's racers.

Five very easy miles today in the FF's with the furry one.

OK Joe.....let's get ready to RRRUUUMMMMBBLLLEE!!!!!    Just hope my Cowboys defense can stop the Giants run game.

So I guess Ultra is AWESOME!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Way to go, Kelly!  Woo hoo!  What a fantastic finish!  In case you didn't read the end of last week's thread, she finished 9 overall, the only female to finish, and did it in 23:26.  Her goal was a sub-24.  Yep, Ultrachick is AWESOME!

Love the quote, Joe.  And I see you stayed up a tad bit later than I did last night watching Kelly.  (Okay - considering you're 3 hrs ahead of me, you stayed up A LOT later.)

The Hub had been up for a few hours (woke up at 4:15) when I got up at 7:00.  He was hungry, but I needed to run, so I talked him into to meeting downtown for breakfast.  First time we've done that.  Have to say, I felt extra sproinky knowing there were pancakes at the other end!  I timed it pretty good.  The Hub came through an intersection and saw me, so he picked me up just a few blocks from the restaurant.  Shorted me by .25, but that's okay.  I ate pancakes and sausage with absolutely no feelings of guilt whatsoever.

Then it was a couple of hours of yard work while I was still sweaty and gross, and nice long, hot shower a little while ago.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

YAY KELLY!!! WOO-HOO!!! Almost out of battery: Backroads was brutal! We survived...drinking beer w/enchiladas now... Laters Cindy
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Hey Cindy! What,you're not going to tell us how you guys did? I tried to race track you too,but found no live action.

Hey Ev- if our defense gets tired,we'll just keep punting into that big ,beautiful ,video screen in the sky! I wonder what Carol thinks of the new stadium

Yea Leslie, I got caught up in Kelly's race. I think I'm a closet ultra guy. It was cool to see not just her,but a whole group of them go past each aid station. Do you think that they run in groups on purpose? Sure looked like a tough course too, I had it on Google Earth. Do you think I have any future in play-by-play announcing?

Yea Leslie, I got caught up in Kelly's race. I think I'm a closet ultra guy. It was cool to see not just her,but a whole group of them go past each aid station. Do you think that they run in groups on purpose? Sure looked like a tough course too, I had it on Google Earth. Do you think I have any future in play-by-play announcing?

Sometimes if people are about the same pace they'll stick together for the company, to pull each other along.  But I'd also say it was just a really strong group of runners who were very comparable to one another.

The ultra world is a whole 'nother world.  The runners are extremely supportive of one another.  It's a much smaller grouping of runners, often you're running alone, everyone's been there at one time or another.  Rarely do runners pass one another without saying "good job!"  "Keep going!" "You're doing great!"  So maybe we can draft you over to the "Dark Side"??  And yes, you have a great future as a play-by-play announcer.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kelly, you had an awesome race!  Absolutely incredible, you are a phenom!  But a phenom that works incredibly hard.

Cindy, glad you and Doug survived!  That is an accomplishment regardless of finish times.  Be proud and enjoy the beer Smile.

Guessing Joe and Ev are glued to the tube like my DH right now.  I really try to pay attention, but just can't do it until the last couple of minutes.  Good book reading time though.  Joe, as for the stadium, I just can't believe the stupidity of the TV / Backboard.  What were they thinking???

Leslie, pancakes make me sproinky too Smile  Lattes have the same effect.  Love workouts that end with a friend at the local coffee shop.

Mom's having surgery on her broken wrist on Wednesday.  She claims it's minor surgery, and probably is, but I'm heading up there anyway so she knows she's loved.

Last week was a good training week for me.  I seem to have bounced back from the crud.  Also feel much more confident about doing the tri at the end of Oct. now that I'm not drowning in the pool, and completed my first race distance brick workout yesterday.  Need to add a few more running miles now I think.

Hey Jewels, where are you girl?  Miss you!    

Progress Trumps Pefection

Last week was a good training week . . .  Also feel much more confident about doing the tri at the end of Oct. now that I'm not drowning in the pool,     

Not drowning in the pool is a very positive thing.  If you drown in the pool, kinda puts a damper on the whole tri. 

Bill/Ev - I think you asked me about The Hub's paintings.  He's very much a beginner, but he's loving it.  He's spent almost every evening the last two weeks out painting for an hour or two.  As a matter of fact, he's chosen to go out and paint instead of watch the football game.   Anyway, here are pics of 3 paintings I could photograph without him knowing.

This is his very first tree.  He finally added some brown to the "needles," which helped them to NOT look like just bursts of fuzz at the end of the branches:

This was his very first painting:

This is my favorite so far:

Right now, he's painting from pictures, paintings out of books, etc., but he's been perusing some pics we've taken and is getting close to doing an "original."  I told him he needs to start signing his paintings so that when he dies and they become worth millions of dollars, they can be authenticated.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Leslie....Yes, I like the sailboats too.  The one in the middle.....the colorful field.....is my favorite.

Mtn....and Doug........WTG!!

NIce going Carol....good luck with your mom's wrist.

Joe, Joe, Joe.......I thought the Dallas defense played superbly,  the Dallas offence played well.  Romo is the best player on the Giants team.

Yes, where is Jewels.........

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Romo is the best player on the Giants team.

He certainly was last night Ev! Talk about some lucky bounces coming our way too. I knew it would be close but boy,what a game!

jfa

Carol- Glad to hear your week went well. Sounds like you're in good shape for your tri. Have you decided on your costume yet? Looks like the scoreboard thing was blown out of proportion as it doesn't seem to be a factor after all.

Nice Pics for DH Leslie. I'll vote for the sailboat one too. Good for him that he has a hobby that he enjoys. After this round of marathons, I'll be doing more trail running.The problem for me here is that I have to drive up to NY State or New England to find any trails with real hills.

Jewels, where are you? Can't you come out and play?

Thanks for the comments about The Hub's pics.  He showed me another one last night that I've already claimed for me.  I'll try and get a picture of that.  He has fun, which is the main thing.

Rest day for me, and besides two howling cats (Wilson who always wants under the covers and Fatso because . . . well, because he's old he howls before he goes to the bathroom, before he gets a drink of water, when he goes into a different room, when he's in the garage - you get the point), I got some good extra sleep.

Yeah, where's Jewels these days??

There was a Kelly sighting on the Ultra Forum:

Thanks Everyone!  I appreciate your support.  The weather was perfect, my support crew (Jack and my friend Aliza who ran the 50m race) were awesome.  Jack was my pacer too so he had a long day as well.  He gave me the tough love talk in 'how bad do I want to break 24?, Get moving!' Smile  For the last two aid stations, he ran ahead and got some food for me because I wasn't stopping.  Of course. I was useless by that time-Jack: "what do you want to eat?" me: "I don't know...."  My tummy was a little queasy and by this time nothing was really tasting good but at times I was rumbling hungry too-go figure-I just drank more to get rid of the rumbles until I was on a hill to eat a GU or shot blox.

Have a great week, folks.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Good Morning! 

Wish we had a bit of today's weather for that race! Today is drizzly & 38*F...yesterday ~ not! Oh wait!  I see snow flakes out the window!!! LOL!  Gotta love Colorado in the Fall!  Yesterday got hot! Quick!.... somebody said it was 81* by 10:30...(yeah, I know, I'm a wimp - but I don't do well in heat, & don't train in it! - my downfall for this I think)  & for some unk reason, they'd backed off the start time till just a bit past 8am...  3,000 runners all total for the marathon, half marathon, & marathon relay...looked to me that a majority of the runners were marathoners....  the course is all on/along backroads - a combination of dirt/asphalt - NW of Boulder, near the reservoir. rolling hills btwn 5,200' - 5,500' elevation, so gentler than my backyard,  but still!!....Everybody headed out nice & easy....well, almost everybody. I passed a bunch of folks on the very first "hill" (incline) @ a nice slow/steady 11:20pc..most of these would stay behind me for the rest of the day....2 miles in, warmed up & keeping it easy...feels good, but a bit warm. steady incline for first 6 miles...no prob. mile 7 turned down along an asphalt hwy for almost 3 miles...hwy not closed. cones separating runners from tfc -some cars came ridiculously close to the cones!~ but all downhill - fast & fun but head on into the sun w/no shade - can really feel it beating into my head!.... aid station @ mile 10 low on water! I know there's alot of ppl behind me (approx mid-2/3 back) so, I don't take much...next aid station @ mile 12...starting to feel the heat, slowing down a bit...two significant hills to that so, looking fwd to the water...just starting to feel a touch nauseous/dizzy...out of water!! but they did have orange wedges. that helped! I stopped for almost 2 mins...then headed out real easy...breeze starting, but it's a bit hot...hit the out & back section, m. 13 - 21, having a little abdominal cramping & dizziness if I pick up the speed much, heart rate is a little high for this pace...started doing alot of walking in here just to keep things doable....meeting some of the lead runners....noticed that I'm not the only one looking tough....hearing lots of comments about the heat...at least there's a breeze now, but it's not alot of help....more like Kansas hills! I'd started pouring water over my head/hat...but still being conservative...too many ppl behind me!  walking/easy jogging alt. as I can...stomach issues not entirely going away, just abated as long as I'm not going too fast...power walking I can do. Started looking for Doug in here...I didn't remember how long the out & back was, but I'd est the ppl I was meeting should be on track for 4ish hrs....that was about in the ballpark of his est time....(based on our long runs) he was further back than I thought - mile 15 for me, 19 for him....he & a maniac were staying kinda together..& doing walk reg walk breaks, but keeping it as quick as poss...he poured some water on my head/neck & said that the next aid station was giving out bottles...I told him not to do that - that his next one was in a mile & miserably low on water!  Saw another guy who'd started out w/Doug another 2 miles further up...def having heat issues too! Heard a few talking abt taking the shuttle out (really? there's a shuttle!?) really tempting, but @ this point, I'm managing the heat stress okay...& picking up discarded water bottles to dump over my head/shirt & just want to finish - know my target time is completely shot - just wanna be done & get the medal & beer..I'm walking too fast for some others who have shifted to walking - two of them wearing maniac shirts! ...passed a few more...see clouds brewing along the foothills...breeze is starting to feel a little cooler...thinking I could run a bit more...nah! kinda over it...still alternating power walking (feels like it anyway) & soft jogging....whole body tired, but not like I've run hard tired..thinking I could run now...maybe not! apathy?....last 5K...running as much as I can....start targeting a few folks still ahead of me...reeled in,  all but one...& almost that one! really tall gal w/a long stride! Last couple hundred yards are through pasture, dip down towards the lake & back up a slight hill to the gate....not many ppl left @ the finish line, (Doug!)  but still...digital said 6:22:XX ... garmin said 6:09:XX  ...don't care right now.. Doug's gate said 4:57:XX... Garmin: 4:52:XX  not much food left when either of us finished, did get some beer & a small pizza - Doug was able to snag the last one!....still folks straggling in as we left ~ about an hour after I got in....they'd already taken down the finish line....Don't know how many DNF'd...at least I wasn't DFL either!   Tough day! , survived.

No official times/results posted yet!?  don't know what that's all about - they were pretty prompt last year?  

Feel pretty good right now actually..(musta been because I wasn't ever running hard!)..have a couple of appts to tend to & then I'll take Mairead out for an easy couple....

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Kelly - Way to go! Impressive to be the only female finisher!

Cindy - Ugh, that sounds like an extremely rough day - you're one tough lady for sticking it out under such conditions.

Jim - congrats to you two on a good race. You're getting to be quite the savvy racer!

Leslie - looks like you're next up in the racing department? This weekend, right?

Carol - and you too, your tri is soon?

Joe - Yeah, you've been racking up some serious miles. But it's getting close to payoff time! I think I'd pass on that loop marathon too.

Had a fun run yesterday, there was a local hot-air baloon festival, and the baloons were coming in to land pretty close to my turnaround point. There's something soothing about watching them float by, so serene and majestic and colorful. Unfortunately the rest of the weekend was work work work, writing exams and lectures.

Arla

Ex runner

wildchild

Carolyn

Cindy, sounds like you  had a tough time at the Boulder Backroads !  I'm surprised it was so hot in town. I ran the Golden Gate Canyon trail half marathon on Sunday, and it was cool and windy!  Probably 50° with 15mph winds at the start, and only up to about 60° at the end.  Most folks put on jackets for the awards at noon.  Good job on finishing despite tough conditions.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.