Masters Running

Friday, June 2 daily (Read 33 times)

Mariposai

Good morning running friends. Greetings from Ireland where we have been spending a few days on vacation with the twocats. The Easy Pacer and I are having a lot of fun visiting the different counties of this great country for the first time. The twocats have been here numerous times and they are proven to be very knowledgeable tour guides. We are having a lot of fun and we are gathering amazing memories to remember for years to come.

Our whole crew will be going to Cork tomorrow to pick up our race bibs to then run the Cork marathon/half marathon on Sunday.

Running, this being taper week all of us have ran a few days this week Smile. Ohh, and twocat did go out running in the rain yesterday!!!!

More stories to tell later, but for now, I will go to enjoy twocat's amazing breakfast of champions.

Here is a picture of our crew, sans the Easy Pacer who was off to take a picture of the garden of this medieval era castle. In the picture, Bert, Chris, Mrs. Twocat, Jessie, me and twocat.

More pictures to come later once we return back home

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

Mornin' Mariposai and everyone else.

What a great-looking, happy crew! Twocat ran in the rain?   Enjoy the trip, and tomorrow's races.

Thursday’s workouts:

Jlynne (5+ miles in IRC)

RunnerKSA (4.5: 2.3 morning miles, and 2.2 post-work miles)

Henrun (3 hurting miles, saved by Marj)

Tomwhite (40 min. pool run with letters)

Tammy (5 miles or so)

Rochrunner (4.5 sproinky miles through a new park)

BerthaSlayer (3.3 glorious neighborhood miles)

Holly (3.6 miles)

Tet (5 miles in off & on showers)

Evanflein (6.21 midday, feeling-good bike path miles)

Mike (2 easing-back-into-it miles)

Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles + 20 post-work bike miles)

Flats (6+ evening miles)

We don’t watch any series or movies on TV (streamed or otherwise), so we must lead boring lives.

Good call to call Marj, Henrun. You two are so lucky to have each other, and we are so lucky to have both of you.

Nice running in the 5K on Monday, Dave! I hope you got today off, and have a fun new run.

Opioids are nasty stuff unless tightly controlled, and yet they keep prescribing them so readily and frequently. I also think that TV commercials desensitize us to the side-effects of too many prescription meds, even if they do list them, to the point that too many of us don’t take those side-effects seriously. My mom’s doc was a DO, and yet he prescribed so many meds that the side effects put her in the hospital. After we got her off half those meds, I wrote him a (not so) nice letter. She was lucky it got caught before it got any worse than it did.

Have a great Claire visit, Tomwhite! Sorry about the loss of the fishing hole, but I hope you find even better spots.

Good luck with the veggie garden, Tammy.

That’s a late sunset, Tet. I remember when I was in Anchorage in ’99, a guy was telling me he mowed his lawn at 10PM.

It’ll be interesting to see the results of your gait analysis, Tramps. Surprising that they didn’t give you any warm-up time.

Sounds like a good get-away weekend coming up, Steve.

I was feeling less achy when I got up this morning, so I went for an easy 4.8 RW mile workout. I'm not out of the woods yet, but at least I can see the forest for the trees (or something like that...). Our conservation commission has a town forest clean-up scheduled for tomorrow, and I hope we get a good turnout because there is a lot of junk in there that needs to be hauled out, and there's an illegal target shooting range we want to clean out. Our sweet massage therapist knows that DW and I are hurting from our trade conference last weekend, and has offered to open on Sunday just for the two of us. I can't wait.

Good luck and have a blast to this weekend's only listed racer:

06/04 Mariposai - Cork Marathon, Ireland  (and Twocat too!)

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Opoids:

My father was a pharmacist, and for most of his life ran a small independent pharmacy, I would help out behind the counter some weekends and school holidays. He didn't have to deal with many addicts (they tend to get shunted to larger facilities).

One guy did get his daily methodone dose. He had to arrive within a fairly tightly scheduled window (I think an hour, could have been 30 mins), and it was dispensed into a small cup and taken in the pharmacy itself. I was curious about it and didn't realise what was going on, and that was my first "drugs are bad" talk from my father.

His pharmacy was in a small port, and it wasn't unusual to have people come in from ships with a largish laundry list of things to replenish their at sea stores. One day I sold someone 4 large bottles of Kaolin and Morphine (anti Diarrhea medicine), thinking nothing of it. The next day the same guy was back and ordered the same. I raised a red flag and he was kicked out the store.

From that point on, it was one bottle limit unless my father personally authorized it. He wasn't about to lose his licence over something like that. Its not sold very often these days, due to the risk of abuse.

The flip side, when DW1 was in the terminal phase of her cancer, I had to get oral morphine on prescription. Thankfully we had a small independent about 5 mins walk. Went in and discussed with the owner, and he made arrangements to have one permanently in inventory kept for her (and a larger script could be filled same day).

As things progressed, she ended up on stronger (injectable) opoids and those orders were filled by the visiting district nurse, who also dosed them. The paper work and accounting on our stocks when she finally passed was quite, quite rigorous. Not sure of the "street value" of what we had in inventory at the end, but I am sure it was quite high.  (oh yeah the constipation side effects are not to be understated)

I personally have had nothing stronger than co-codamol and tramadol (which is a non-opoid) for very short periods (post op recovery).

Both make me completely loopy and unable to function, so I absolutely minimized the dosage and duration. They got disposed of asap. Don't want that stuff hanging round your house.

So I have seen addiction up close (albeit fairly sanitised), seen the good usage in others and even experience the sensations for myself on a few medically justified occasions. A necessary tool, but one that needs the tightest of controls.

(Only 2 developed nations (USA and New Zealand) in the world allowed direct to consumer advertising of prescription meds. I would love for it to be regulated away, but I don't see that happening)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Tramps

"Here and Now" had an interesting twist to the addiction story yesterday: "addict brokers" who recruit people to attend questionable treatment centers.

On a lighter note, the NHL has a unique tradition regarding its championship trophy, the Stanley Cup.  Players and coaches on the winning team typically get “a day with the Cup” to take it wherever they want.  A fun little essay—with a surprisingly moving ending--on the things that happen on these trips by the guy who “guards” it.  BTW, my high school history teacher/hockey coach was an assistant coach for the New Jersey Devils when they won one year.  He took the Cup back to his/my hometown, invited the public to the local arena to see it and then had it a private dinner with all his old hockey teammates, including my older brother. There may have been alcohol involved.

8 miles on the trails this morning.  Humidity wasn’t bad so I felt like I was bounding down the trails.  I wasn’t, but I felt like it.  And I just passed my mileage total for all of last year.

Be safe. Be kind.

...catwhorg//..............yep, my dad was a Pharmacist too,

which is why  I became one (and my DD2 too)

the Old Time Pharmacists knew

Getting medicine to sick people was our primary job,

and

I continued that for 30-years in my own store.

the problems started when OxyContin came out.............and we were put in contention with the Pain Clinics that appeared like mushrooms after a storm

(9 in my small town,

135 in Memphis according to a doc friend whose sister got addicted)

my dad thought I was making up the stories about #360 time released morphine 260mg Rx's I turned down

and

from his perspective is WAS unbelievable

unfortunately (for the public) it was true

================

Ice Skating for Claire today

and

a softball game tonite

followed by Red Bull tomorrow

.........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Good luck Mariposai and enjoy your trip

1.2 ez pz miles in my neighbourhood. I really wanted to run farther but have been warned to ease back into it. Something silly about a reverse taper or some such nonsense. Apparently I tend to overdo things.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Dave59

When Detroit won the Stanley Cup, one of the players or coaches brought the cup to my hometown in Michigan.  I got a picture next to it with my Buffalo Sabres hat on.   I figure that is the closest the Sabres will be to the Cup.

I did take the day off work, but I decided not to drive an hour and a half to the State Park where I intended to run. Instead, I went to Camp Arrowhead which is only 15 minutes away. My running chiropractor kept talking up the place on my visits.

Everything started ok on the run. I went down a gravel road that turned into a nice trail at about .62 miles.  That trail got skinnier, muddy, and rocky as I went.  I came to a fork and went right.  I went a while and came to another fork and went right again.  I came out on a road by a church camp/retreat facility.  I went back and tried the left fork and ended up at small cemetery at the top of a hill.  So I went back to the first fork and tried the left side.  That's when life got interesting.  There were too many forks in the trail to keep track of.  At some point I dead ended so I decided to head back, but when I passed a hunters' tree stand that I didn't pass on the way out I knew I did something wrong.  I went on for a while and even stopped to see if I could tell where I was by looking at the maps on my phone.  A street map app without my glasses proved worthless.  So I tried to go back and figure out where I made a wrong turn.  I did eventually find my way back.

All of that was only 5 miles in 1 hour and 11 minutes.  I slipped in mud, slid on rocks, turned my ankle, and was dived bombed by big a$$ flies. I guess I just don't get the attraction some people have to running on trails. :roll:

I was very near the Kanawha Trace Trail which runs 30+ miles.  Good thing I didn't hit that and make a wrong turn or I'd be lost forever.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

"

On a lighter note, the NHL has a unique tradition regarding its championship trophy, the Stanley Cup.  Players and coaches on the winning team typically get “a day with the Cup” to take it wherever they want.  A fun little essay—with a surprisingly moving ending--on the things that happen on these trips by the guy who “guards” it.  BTW, my high school history teacher/hockey coach was an assistant coach for the New Jersey Devils when they won one year.  He took the Cup back to his/my hometown, invited the public to the local arena to see it and then had it a private dinner with all his old hockey teammates, including my older brother. There may have been alcohol involved.

I think it's almost required.  Love that tradition--much more fun than the reverence for all the other trophies.

3.1 miles around the lake in IRC.  Only minor problem is that I'm running out of long sleeve shirts too fast.  I put most of them away for the season, and we've been getting a lot more beautiful cool mornings than expected.  I guess I'll put up with more frequent laundry.

This afternoon I'll be heading over to the NH Special Olympics as a volunteer as part of our company's community service work.  We've done it for several years and it's a blast.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

got in a 5 mile run last night and then tilled a large area of my garden. just got too late to actually transplants my starts into that area, so that'll be tonight's task. 

no running today, but I did sign up for a 10K tomorrow morning.  Then DH will get me a load of landscaping bark and I'll re-bark the large landscaping areas that haven't been done in a couple years. It will look so nice when done, which just means the dogs will think they have nice fresh beds to make their little divots in where they like to nap. 

Tammy

1.2 miles for my streak before an early doc check up apt this morning.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

catwhoorg

Labrat

5.5 for me today.

This afternoon I leave work a little early meet DW and we and go sign updated will, medical POA and the sundry other end of life stuff.

That should be good for a while.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

evanflein

All of that was only 5 miles in 1 hour and 11 minutes.  I slipped in mud, slid on rocks, turned my ankle, and was dived bombed by big a$$ flies. I guess I just don't get the attraction some people have to running on trails. :roll:

Ah, but a lot of that IS the attraction of running trails! Although, I could do without the flies... Bugs just have a way of sucking the joy out of life in a lot of situations. Glad you found your way back.

Jay, we don't do any of that streaming of movies or series of anything and I never know what people are talking about, so I guess we're pretty boring, too. We mainly watch local news, PBS and what DH likes to call "the damage reports" which are some of our faves on MSNBC...

Cat, loved the picture of you and friends in China in the rickshaw! And that's quite the early introduction to the world of drugs and drug-seeking behavior. Sorry about your DW1, losing someone like that always makes me sad.

Have fun in Ireland, Mariposai! Although I hardly need to say that, it looks like you guys are having a blast. And you're sure getting much better weather than when we were there a few years ago. Goodness, that was in July 2003! Doesn't seem that long ago.

Another really nice day here. I'll get out for 5 easy miles mid-day, then we're going on a wine tasting riverboat trip this evening. It's a fund raiser for the hockey alumni for their scholarships, so a lot of the silent auction items are hockey tickets and paraphernalia.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Ohh, and twocat did go out running in the rain yesterday!!!!

twocat, twocat! - no need to do further damage to your reputation.

As much as I abhor running in the rain, if at all,

you're even worse so send me any rain

that might be threatening for Sunday

over there. Good luck.

Jay - I guess you're on the eastern side of EDT where sunset is now at 8:15pm instead of the 9pm in Michigan same as Seattle. Incidentally, when I was up there for the start of my marathon career in the seventies, Anchorage's was near midnight too, just about a half hour before Erika-land. Such summers always made it very hard to justifying being inside after work when there was so much needing to be done and going on outside. No wonder I'm not into tv, movies, streaming, etc. either.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I was very near the Kanawha Trace Trail which runs 30+ miles.  Good thing I didn't hit that and make a wrong turn or I'd be lost forever.

We don't have big a$$ flies, but we have the rest.  And getting lost is part of the fun!! 

3 EZ miles last evening and about an hour of core/ST this morning.  I've been targeting hamstring strengthening and have been stretching really good after all my workouts and it seems to be working with regard to the hammies.  I tell ya, though, trying to bounce back with the running - ugh!

Tomorrow I'll be volunteering at the start/finish of the Grasshopper Peak 10 miles/30k. The last 2 years (3?) I've swept for the 30k, but alas I can't do that this year.  Here's hoping the mosquitoes aren't as bad as they were last year!

Enjoy, friends ~~

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Great article about the history of the Stanley Cup.  I don't follow hockey but DH is a big fan. A lot less drama in the NHL than the NFL. And don't get me started about the mess Tiger Woods has gotten himself into again.

Interesting discussions about addiction these last few days. My DIL is a PA in the emergency room at a local hospital and has continuing stories about people who come in "doctor shopping" once or twice a week looking for pain meds to relieve bad backs and other maladies. She saw one guy 3 times in the course of a weekend.

I hope the weather is decent (good would be a huge accomplishment) for Twocat and Mariposai's Cork marathon. I love Ireland, but the two times we were there it rained every day. And really hard. And for a long time.  In fact on one golf trip, the wind and rain were so strong on the golf course we were playing (Waterville, how appropriate) that one of the women in our group said "when it's this bad at home, we usually go in the basement!"

5+ miles this morning. And now it's official - I'm retired!

Question of the day:  what could covfefe mean?