Masters Running

Race report, Eugene 5K, May 3 by Woods Lady (Read 301 times)

This was a case of do you run up the hill, however slowly, or walk and save yourself for the rest of the 5K. I "ran", well, I tried! The 5K was the day before the Eugene Marathon for groupies, wanna bees, and wimpies. I was with DD1., DGS4, and Econo, who was our great cheering section, and my head coach. She did the Half the next day. For Ribs: The fashion report. I minded Econo, and did not wear three layers! I wore my best long sleeved tech shirt that I got at the Grants Pass Competitive Athletice Races in the fall - TammyGP and Johnny's neck of the woods. Blue. Blue 3/4 length pants, a neck scarf - cowboy type- purple, that is the same as the world class 86 yr. old woman world class runner Helen Kline wore in Napa. I broke my elegant look by wearing my favorite socks, Smart Wool, ankle lengh, and well padded. They just feel good. The weather was fine - overcast, cool, but no real rain. At the starting line I tried to not get too far up front, but made sure no strollers, or young children were in front of me. I got right in behind a guy who looked like he would take off like the wind, and when he did, I slipped into his slot, so was not held up too long at the start. I had done my training for 6 weeks for this race, had a plan, and was in good shape. Wanted to PR in the worst way, but caught a stupid head cold five days before. Angry . In the first mile, I followed my C25K - third week schedule, and did well, except for the hill that had not been mentioned in the information. I drove the course the night before, and realized that I had to decide how I would handle the hill. I decided to do my best to run it, however slowly, rather than walk. Has there ever been a slower hill run than mine? I made it to the top, and kept running part way down. At mile 1, I realized my side hurt just a little, and I was starting to tire. Nuts! I was off my time by a few seconds Pretty soon the nice Econo showed up to cheer me on, and that put more zip into my feet for a while. The course is very nice, and mostly through a pretty park along the Willamette River, but I have done it before, and I focused on what I was trying to do. One group of three was taking up all the path except for the far right, where I run anyway. They had not heard me and were talking. I caught up to them, sniffed loudly, ( I am such an elegant lady, just out of the woods),and they all jumped over a bit to the left, leaving me a sliver of room on the right. They were even saying "sorry" as a held my chicken elbows in and barely avoided running on the grass. One little girl ran just inches across in front of me. I thought I might trip! At mile post 2 ,I remembered that my coach had said to turn it on for the last mile, which I did, or in my own newbie way did. The very last stretch was down hill, and fun, because there were lots of people wishing me well. I am a ham, and started reacting with the crowd. My coach bawled me out for not being focused until the very end! I reminded her that there are photos of her doing just that during the Napa Marathon. She said Really? Well, I won in the very large division of women 70 and over. There were two of us!!! Smile SmileGot a nice wall plack. I didn't get my PR, Excuses: the nasty little cold had kept me from doing my best, or maybe had I walked the hill at the first, I would have had more energy for the rest of the race. Pacing is an interesting subject. Went to the Expo and inspirational talks, and loved the high energy. Had a nice fun dinner with people from RA: Mike Rasmussen and Runner Wife, Kelbelle and friend , Johnny from GP, Erock, Opie , and Econo. What a group! All for now. Next race is in my home town. The 5K Rhody Run on May 16th. There is also a 10K Come on out, but get room reservations early - big weekend here. Woods Lady
    TammyinGP

Nice racing Ma!! Haven't you been given tips on what to do in the event small children are in your way??? Wink I loved your report, your fashion sense and your approach to this race. Sorry your cold seemed to have slowed you down a bit more than you would have liked, but that just meant that you got to enjoy this race and the course a little longer. So, it's all good. Now .... about those kids .... Big grin

Tammy

evanflein

Way to tell your coach, Woods Lady! Great job on the 5k, and yes figuring out how to handle hills can be tricky. Don't dismiss your AG win, either! A win is a win, remember? (didn't your coach tell you that, too? She's good at the AG thing...)
          Way to go, Woods Lady! And way to keep your coach in line. Not focused - whateva! You were focused on getting the attention you so richly deserved. As to the kids in the way - I say bowl 'em over. It's the only way they'll learn. Wink

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I've been waiting for this report, Woods Lady. Your report and race were great. Congratulations on your AG win. It's really neat that you had so many family members and friends to enjoy the experience with you. Keep up the good work. TomS
              As a friend of mine says you just have to beat whoever shows up, not whoever could have shown up! So enjoy the plaque it was well earned.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

#artbydmcbride

Very nice! And a great report also. I'm skeptical of this 'coach' though...... Big grin

Runners run

King of PhotoShop

I am so glad to read this! Good for you. Here are a few observations to consider. First, I am proud of you for going out there looking good. Nice attire. If we're going to put effort into this sport, we might as well look cool. Nice going. Second, driving the course the day before. That is what winning thinkers and competitors do. Very impressed at your focus. Third, passing a slow group in front of you. I generally discreetly cough in a way like I am clearing my throat, which, with my allergies down here in TX I pretty much am doing anyway. Your daughter of course would have just elbowed them out of the way, as we all know. You did the right thing. And finally, in future RR's when you win, don't knock the win by pointing out that there weren't many in your AG. A win is a win, and you earned it. Consider that as we age, more people drop out of this sport. Either they get injured, or become infirm, or pass away. We who survive and continue to compete are both fit and fortunate. Very proud of you. That Econo lucked out where moms are concerned. Spareribs
                    That was a most excellent race report full of all the little details that carry us into the race with you. Regarding the hills....there is always some pace at which it is better to walk and save your energy. It is hard to find exactly what point that is, but it is usually (from my experience) sooner rather than later. Enjoy the plaque! Could have been 5 more competitors in your AG and maybe you still would have won!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Thanks, everybody! What I am going to do is to walk a hill, time it, and then run the same hill, and time that, and use that information to help me decided what to do the next time. At my next race, there is a hill at the very end of the race. It is in my home town, and I can check it out a week in advance, and then decided what I will do. Actually, I think my hill walking is not too slow, because I have hills around my house, and have no choice, but I have done little running up hills. I'm still tired, so may take more than two days off, or tomorrow I may go to my gym, and do the ladies circuit and sauna. A treat. Have a good week, everybody. I want to read Marathon reports now. Woods Lady
                        Sounds like you have a great coach! Evil grin Thanks for a fun weekend, Ma, and congratulations on a race well run! I especially like the part about your starting line strategy. Proud Daughter of a Runner/Forester/Violist
                        Tramps

Wow. Fashion report, scouting out the course, strategic positioning at the start line, complaining about the coach, plausible excuses…you’ve got this RR thing down pat! Big grin A pleasure to read. I’m so glad it went well. Congratulations on the AG hardware!

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild

Carolyn

That Econo lucked out where moms are concerned. Spareribs
                            I totally agree with Spareribs. I wish my mom was as cool as you! Congrats on the 1st in AG award. What a great RR - fun to read!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

And there you have it. You got some training in, competed in a race, won your AG and wrote up a great report. Very well done!
                              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Way to Go! You ran your own race and had fun doing it ! And a first place finish to boot! Very nicely done !!