Masters Running

Sunshine Sunday (Read 44 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

As for me, 20 miles of cross country skiing in phenomenal ski conditions. Today's plan is to go higher up to more difficult terrain! I sure hope I don't come back with bruised body or bruised ego. Big grin

Except for if you get to x-c every day or at least all weekend, there's not many people, if any, who can come back from a tropical trip and go out for 20 miles just like that, let alone going up to altitude the next day where the steep terrain is very difficult to negotiate, if not danerous.  Be careful.

but it takes a PhD for her "dream" job of running a writing center at a university.  She got word Friday that she was accepted into one of the schools she applied to.  Full scholarship and stipend just like the masters program.  So now she has to make a decision sooner than she planned..

Whew, I thought it was going to take a Ph.D. for a dream job of running.

However, not too sure why she'd need to think over a full ride, especially if her father has any input..

congratulations

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Congratulations to everybody!

Nice 16  miler Tramps!  Yep, I think you're going to do very well at Boston.

Nice 5k Opie!

Happy birthday Tall!

Very nice 17 miler OM--you had a great week!

That's a nice time for 8 miles on a treadmill Tom.  Glad to hear your DW is feeling better.

Hey Maine--20+ miles yesterday?  Nice!

wild!  Another dang PR!  Wow!  Sorry about the "no beer" part, though.

Holly--your 17 miler might have been "slow and sluggish"  but it was still 17 miles!

So, what is a slow 14 miler for you, arf?

Tammy--it is so much fun following your kid--please don't stop sharing his stories.  And nice Half for you, too!

Leslie, you are tough!  That's all I can say.

Another nice run for Steve and Tag and Honey!

Posie--I'd rather run 20 miles than cross country ski 20 miles any day.  I could just never get the hanf of that.  Ryan and Mikey love it, though.

Karin--that is some tough running!  Wow!

Dave--congratulations on your daughter!

17 miles wannabe?  Nice!

Yep--I'd say there are a few "over achievers" in this group!

For me...I don't know.  I was scheduled for speed work, today.  The plan called for 5 x 1 miles @ 5:40.  Well, even on  a good day, that ain't gonna happen anymore.  I was hoping to get under 6, though.  It went like this:  Mile 1 was a warm up in 7:57--mile 2 in 6:16--.25 in 2:02--mile 3 in 6:05--.25 in 2:25--mile 4 in 5:58--.25 in 2:05--mile 5 in 6:11--.25 in 2:15--mile 6 in 6:23--then I ran another 3.9 miles in 32:13 just to get back home.  It was kind of windy but it was mostly a cross wind, so I can't really blame it on that.  Oh, well...it is what it is and I'm not going to beat myself up over it.  I worked hard and that's what counts.

Okay--I guess I'd better go on to bed.  It's gonna be another long, busy week.

evanflein

That's great news, Dave, and glad you could help Fatozzig with her computer problem, too.

There's a good reason I'm not on Facebook, Holly. I've got enough time-sinks as it is!

Well, you sure can't count me as one of the overachievers here. I guess there needs to be some balance. I spent the day on a long overdue project of going thru my "to file" basked and organizing a ton of receipts and paperwork. OMG that takes a long time! I guess if I did it more regularly it wouldn't be such a big job, right? Well, it never seems to work out that way. But I feel a great sense of accomplishment and I found some things for doing our taxes (which I thought I had already filed all together), so it was a day well spent.

Took a break to head downstairs to the treadmill and ran 8.3 miles with 5 x .5 mile @ 8:00, most of the rest was just GA pace. Gets me to 37 miles for the week, about 5 under my goal. Oh well. I figure I'm in "maintenance mode" and can really start getting some good workouts in when the weather gets better. I just don't seem to have the moxie to get out there when it's below zero. And snowing. But a couple years ago that wouldn't have stopped me. *sigh* It is what it is, I guess.

I love coming in here.  You guys always make me Big grin.

Holly - Big grinBig grin

Some news I'm excited about.  The RD who puts on Mt. Hood 50 (which I ran last year and am running again this year) is putting on a 100-miler on the same 50-mile course this year in September.  I've been talking to my coach about doing a 100 miler next year, and for logistical reasons, I was leaning toward Headlands Hundred.  However, if Todd does a 100-miler at Mt. Hood, I'd do that over Headlands in a heart beat.  Reasons?  Half the elevation gain: Headlands-Over 20,000 feet of gain; Mt. Hood-A little over 11,000 feet, and half my crew is already up there in Oregon within two hours or less of where the race would be held.  So keeping my fingers crossed.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Some news I'm excited about.  The RD who puts on Mt. Hood 50 (which I ran last year and am running again this year) is putting on a 100-miler on the same 50-mile course this year in September.  I've been talking to my coach about doing a 100 miler next year, and for logistical reasons, I was leaning toward Headlands Hundred.  However, if Todd does a 100-miler at Mt. Hood, I'd do that over Headlands in a heart beat.  Reasons?  Half the elevation gain: Headlands-Over 20,000 feet of gain; Mt. Hood-A little over 11,000 feet, and half my crew is already up there in Oregon within two hours or less of where the race would be held.  So keeping my fingers crossed.

Leslie - not sure if this is what you mean but, with the 50-mile experiences you already have plus Western States training camps, etc. to say nothing of such good mentors to share their 100M advice with you, are you saying it would be a Mt. Hood 100M over a Headlands 50M?  I hope so. Either way it would be good experience for next year's planned one but, my guess is, it will work out all the way just like my last-minute (6-days) 100K in 2007 as fortuitous practice for the real deal in 2008 became the real deal.  Plus in two years, the event was gone so accept your fate and don't wait if you can do it while you can. Good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)