Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 9.25.17 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (2.1 miles)
    Henrun (5.2 warm morning miles race walking & running along the Charles)
    Spacityrunner (8.3 hard, hot, sweaty and fun morning trail miles)
    Holly (21.05 early morning, mostly comfortable (not too hot) miles)
    Marj (just under 11 miles along the Charles)
    Catwhoorg (11.6 TM miles with 6+ V02max intervals)
    Tramps (71 bike miles with hillage in low 90s temps with annoying runners)
    Stumpy (3.8 humid morning miles around the lake)
    Tomwhite (40 min RC with trail boots in 90° temps)
    Mike (16 hard miles in H&H)

KSA, the last time I went to a big music festival was in 69’ so it’s been a while…

Nice runs & race walks along the Charles, Henrun & Marj.

Did the turtle follow you home, Spacityrunner?

Good thing you learned that lesson before the porte-potties are gone, Holly. Nice long, pre-taper run.

That’s a lot of TM work, Cat. Glad it worked out for you and the family.

I hope it would be a very short cliff, Tomwhite. Tough workout in the trail boots in the heat.

Tramps, isn’t that what some folks say about bike riders?

Good job at the lake Stumpy.

Be careful what you say about walkers, Evanflein!  But I agree with you that most casual walkers are too self-absorbed and not aware of faster walkers or runners. Nice run yesterday and good total for the week.

Tough weekend, Mike, but you got it all done.

Sounds like a tiring, but a great weekend, Deeze. Nice work on your 12.2 miles on Sat.

I hope you got some rest on your rest day, Mariposai. Congrats on your 16 years as RD for the Autumn Leaf Run.

Yesterday, DW and I went for an afternoon walk along the boardwalk at the beach - high tide left no beach exposed. It was very sunny and 77° with no breeze, and I started to wilt. I think I was still dehydrated from the morning’s race, despite all that I drank after the race and on the drive home.

3.2 very easy morning recovery miles for me in 64° temps and high H. I really just wanted to do some more thorough stretching, but I needed to get warmed up a bit before, hence the neighborhood tour.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Morning, y'all.     2.6 to start the day and marathon week.  Ugh.    1.5 after work on the treadmill.   4.1 for the day.

This isn't a huge festival-  not a Bonnaroo or anything, but 25000 people on Saturday was beyond my limit.  Yesterday went much better.  I think a lot of people might have only planned to go Saturday and then a bunch of others bailed after Saturday's heat and traffic.  We didn't have traffic problems, planned our day well and also liked the performers better.  Saw Marty Stuart, Pokey LaFarge, Mavis Staples and another one or two partial sets.  We were home by 6:30.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

First morning in recent memory that it wasn't foggy. The air felt clear and I had a good 3.65 mile run. The only trouble was that it was supposed to be a 4 mile run but my left calf went "twang" at 3.65.  I walked the rest of the way back to my car.  Calf doesn't feel too bad and tomorrow is a gym day, so maybe by Wednesday it will be ok to run.

SteveP hides his birthday, but apparently it is today, so Happy Birthday SteveP 

(Maybe he'll check in and say hello).

Tramps

Jay--yeah, I'm sure there are the inconsiderate cyclists, too. It was just interesting to see it from the other perspective.

Mari--no, solo; her spill last week likely resulted in a broken wrist, so no riding. She had the MRI on Saturday and follow-up later today.  Temporary cast right now but it may turn into a real one.  Hopefully not.

All my PT exercises plus 20 minutes of 3:1 run/walk. Felt yesterday's ride in my quads.

ETA: Ever since I started cycling, Garmin thinks my running has really taken off.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - you would be a walker that would be passing me running...

Nancy - well done on another successfully-directed race!

Tramps - 

No run for me today, just some core and light weights.

It appears that DD's strep throat is coming back, so back to the doctor we go this afternoon.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Singer who runs a smidge

Howdy, folks!!  Got out for my run/walk with Dusty and DH.  Dusty was full of beans despite the humidity, so was pulling DH all over the place.  We have one short steep hill on our run, and I think I should swap off with DH so I can get a Dusty tow up the hill!!

Work blew up in my face Friday afternoon, and then blew up in a different direction this morning.  I think I've got this morning's kinks mostly ironed out, but Friday's issues will be months in the solving.  Guess that's why they pay me the big bucks.  The only thing that really annoys me is that it's all political in origin.  We're scientists, folks, how about we just do science??

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

TammyinGP

Hi All!

Last week of September but not thinking I'll make it to 100. <sigh> I have a dinner I'm attending tonight and tomorrow is my wedding anniversary, so probably not a good idea to head out for a run after work.   I wonder if my husband remembers it's our anniversary? 

I did get in a couple okayish runs over the weekend -7 on saturday, 5 on sunday.

Tammy

I wonder if my husband remembers it's our anniversary? 

..........Surprise him and you might get Better Presents.......

================

..Rest Day and Yard Work

..............good Running to ya

ETA-

Looky what I found.......

https://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/forum/b3c807b0cf524fdab7845dcc4d6a4b63/resume#focus

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Back from a great two-week fly-and-drive trip to New Mexico, where we explored both the southeast and more northern (Santa Fe) portions of the state. As for weather, all I can say is that we had a (record) 102F in Carlsbad and it didn't feel as hot as it does here today with all the humidity! Besides, as soon as the sun goes down, the temperature automatically plunges to a good comfort level. Our week in Santa Fe was more temperate -- lows in the 50s, highs just about 80 -- and I was able to get in a few short early morning runs along the river trail that was across the street from our condo. We visited a lot of old Indian Pueblo ruins, a couple new national parks, and really enjoyed our day in Los Alamos.

By the way, for anyone who knows what I'm talking about, a big highlight for us was in Albuquerque where we took an "official" Breaking Bad tour of the city in a duplicate of Jesse's RV. What a hoot! Went to "Los Polos Hermanos," the car wash, Walt's house (without the pizza on the roof), etc. Here's a link to the tour's FB page.

Anyway, I managed to run here yesterday and this morning, but both were fairly short in the 3+ mile range. These weather conditions really knock me out and I'm wondering how I'll do on tomorrow's group bike ride.

Looking forward to Wednesday's forecasted cooling off!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

Looky what I found.......

https://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/forum/b3c807b0cf524fdab7845dcc4d6a4b63/resume#focus

How the hell did you stumble onto that? How funny, almost 10 years ago now. Ha, I refer to my house as an "Ungodly Mess" and guess what, it still is!   Fun to see all those names we don't see much anymore...

Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain... after such a nice weekend, this is a bummer but I'm glad it waited for a Monday to do it! Not sure if I'll go run in this stuff (ssshhhh...) but I brought all my stuff just in case I get that wild hair.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

..Rest Day and Yard Work 

Gorgeous sunny weekend here in the PNW too, just right for harvesting the one corn cob each on the two stalks that emerged from the squirrel food kernels from our winter feeding that they forgot to dig up and went to seed.  Three tomato plants and four 12' sunflowers did much better. Still not what's comin' up from the old packets of Japanese seeds thrown in as an afterthought in June.

Five miles in the nothing.

Predicted rain today was sufficient for a morning five to see if the three-and-a-half month drought had spoiled me too much to mind running in the rain anymore but, in spite of heavy, rain-looking clouds, it only amounted to a couple of drops here-and-there for about five minutes, not even enough to get the pavements damp.  With temps going back up to the eighties by Thursday, I guess I'll get to keep on being spoiled for a little bit longer, . . . but  it sure would be nice to have the rain now when it's warm instead of during all the marathons and fun runs I like in October/November and beyond when it's cold, windy and very miserable.  Oh well.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

spacityrunner

Trails Rock!

I had my followup visit with the surgeon today. After talking to him, I think I have to bail on going to Australia and China and trying to give a series of talks. While there is probably better than a 50-50 chance my tongue will hold out, the downside if I cannot is huge. My DW put it this way, the expected return on going is probably negative. True. I am going to email the schools that invited me out tonight and cancel.  Such is life. On a brighter note I ran 7 with my training partner. She recently discovered a new route and we ran it. The new route has some very nice views. I took some pictures of the route, but focused on what the route looks like as opposed to the views. If you want you can see them in the relive video in the link below:

https://www.relive.cc/view/g14472551203

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I'm sorry you can't go on your trip, Twpcat...that stinks.

I went 7 miles with the kids, today.  I lwas able to run with a couple different groups.  It was fun.  These kids are all great...well, most of them.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy masters!  That was a real blast from the past, tomwhite!  Happy I found this forum after Active.com killed Cool Running.

It's been chilly and rainy since Saturday - feels like fall!  Saturday I got up at J'oclock and met 3 friends for a 22 mile trail run up at Kenosha Pass on the Colorado Trail.  The aspen colors were amazing, but unfortunately, everyone else was also out there to see the colors. 

Yesterday I took a rest day, since it was raining all day, but today the rain turned to light snow, so I went out for 5 miles.  It was kind of fun once I warmed up after a mile or so.

Here's a picture from Saturday's run:

And happy birthday to SteveP!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.