Masters Running

We are not Kenyans. (Read 538 times)

I look my best blurry!

Kenyans are superior runners biologically.  The vast majority of Americans that run do so from age 30-50.  Kenyans quit running at this age.

This is a little factoid my orthopedic doc shared with me today.  I thought it was funny.  He also said that it is not normal or healthy to run long distances.   He says that he always tells his runners this and they don't listen.  Imagine that?!?

jfa

When your Doc tells you to stop running, it's time to find  a new Doc.

+++1! 

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Every Mile is a Gift

++++++1

I had a doctor to tell me to stop running back in 1997, after an MRI showed damage to one of my knees. Running better now than ever. I told him his mother was a hamster and his father smelt of elderberries.

And I now fart in his general direction.

Often injured, NEVER giving up.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

for some reason, to my delight, I've often been called one when other runners look at my bare feet.

Running Barefoot (Dave Elder)

In 2001, the tiny nation of Kenya produced 300 different athletes (including one female)

that broke 2 hr and 20 minutes in the marathon. Besides their intense training schedules,

a not so obvious difference from Americans is that Kenyans typically spend their entire childhood

running WITHOUT SHOES! By going barefoot, their feet are strong and they learn to run the correct way

at a very young age.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/154233/exercising_and_running/running_barefoot.html

have you ever had a chance to run around (and around and around) his office so he can see you now?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Slo

Your Ortho may be right.

A kenyans average life expectancy at birth in 2009 was 57 years.

http://www.indexmundi.com/kenya/life_expectancy_at_birth.html

I would have asked him to back up that little factoid with Data. 

Another thing to consider, beyond life expectancy is life style.....They are not running for thier health in so much as we are,  it is either to compete or to put food on the table......literally.

Marathon Maniac #957

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mustang sally

Bad faerie

+++++1

I fired a GP for suggesting that 20 mi/week was more than enough for anyone.

Yeah, sure.  Right up there with 640kb of RAM.

dg.

more than enough for anybody!

the doctor that I ignore goes to my gym. 

Tramps

An MS siting!  Wow! 

(Hi MS!) 

Be safe. Be kind.

mustang sally

Bad faerie

(waves)

Thought I'd drift over and see how everyone is doing on this side of the world...

dg.

hey bad faerie,   are running the Bayshore something?

I look my best blurry!

OOPS!  He didn't tell me to stop running!  He is my last hope, well him and barefoot running.

I look my best blurry!

Your Ortho may be right.

A kenyans average life expectancy at birth in 2009 was 57 years.

http://www.indexmundi.com/kenya/life_expectancy_at_birth.html

I would have asked him to back up that little factoid with Data. 

Another thing to consider, beyond life expectancy is life style.....They are not running for thier health in so much as we are,  it is either to compete or to put food on the table......literally.

I will share this with him.  You have quite a good point here!  

We ARE very different from Kenyans!  We don't run to eat(put food on the table).  We run to eat more(and still look HOT!).

I look my best blurry!

++++++1

I had a doctor to tell me to stop running back in 1997, after an MRI showed damage to one of my knees. Running better now than ever. I told him his mother was a hamster and his father smelt of elderberries.

Was this from Monty Python?  Holy Grail?  My kids love that movie!