Masters Running

My El Scorcho 50k adventure (how many mistakes can I make?) (Read 265 times)

xor

(cross posted with the bigger Racing forum) Here is my report from the midnight El Scorcho 50k, held just over a week ago. As always, don't go in looking for a report from the front of the pack. This is a middle-of-the-pack report, and in this case, I did some tremendously stupid things. But hey, it was a race that started at midnight during the hottest part of the year and it was called "El Scorcho". I wasn't trying to approach it as an Olympic Qualifier or something. And be forewarned that brevity is not my strong suit. Links to reports from 100ish different marathons and ultras can be found over there.

As always, a great read. Dad is really ok? After your Air Force Marathon report, I feel as if I've met him. Hope all is well; so good you were there for the party. I can't believe you finished; I'm sure I would have succumbed at the Corral Showdown. I've had minor stomach issues at my last 2 races. That is really miserable. Don't keep us in suspense for long on the next 50 miler! grins, A
      Masters 2000 miles
      evanflein

Always nice to know someone with all the experience you have can still make rookie mistakes. Makes me feel a whole lot better about the stupid mistakes I still make! I like those nighttime races... we run a 10k on solstice that starts at 10 pm, but it's still daylight out! Running with all those flashlights bobbing around must've been fun. Glad to hear you got the tummy issues resolved half way thru... nice "bell curve" on those splits. Looking forward to the 50 miler report!

King of PhotoShop

I remember that night, watching the TV coverage from my air conditioned house. The shots on TV were as you said, "surreal." It was very hot and humid that night, what an ordeal for you. The oddity of this race is that it sells out so quickly. Tough enough to do an ultra, but middle of the night running, when all your systems are off-kilter is particularly difficult. You did well. Hope your dad is okay. Spareribs
          SteveP

Your RR had my jaw drop in a few spots. Hopefully your father is fot soon. You are crazy tough.

SteveP

El Scorcho & Marathon Manic both seem like very appropriate names. Big grin Nice job Smile Smile Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

xor

Your RR had my jaw drop in a few spots. Hopefully your father is fot soon. You are crazy tough.
                I don't know about crazy tough. I also don't know if my dad is "fot". I'm not from these parts, so perhaps this is Secret Code. Thanks to all for reading my report. My dad is ok, though they are debating about what to do with the aneurysm. Apparently, he's had it for some time, but it is now bigger than it used to be. The 50 miler (which was not my first 50) was, shall we say, different... My report should be out in a few days. Unless it isn't.

xor

El Scorcho & Marathon Manic both seem like very appropriate names. Big grin
                  After the 50 miler, I'm more Marathon Depressive.