Masters Running

Wednesday, April 17 daily (Read 59 times)

The only thing that put Boston out of my mind today was delivering Mobile Meals, which i do once a month.  Then I went for my 5-mile run.  I started thinking about Boston again and felt so grateful that ya'll were spared but so angry at the same time.  I was already getting into Rage Against the Machine before this happened but I cranked it up near the end and it took on special meaning.  It was a good run.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

SteveP

4.5 miles. I hung out laundry this morning in defiance of the storm threat. As it is windy, the two loads did not take long to dry. While Tag and I were on the run, a 100 year flood that took place in the mid 70's came to mind. There was news footage of a canoe hauling butt on a section of I-75 just north of Detroit. Watching fish swim across a paved Mt Pleasant rd in 86 saw a special treat.

SteveP

C-R

Busy day today and a nice run around he airport in Baltimore. They have a great trail here if you ever find you need a run.

Can't wait to get home and see my family. The recent events have reminded me how precious they are.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Tramps, my sentiments exactly.

Impromtu interval run at a dirt track.  I know I shouldn't be doing speedwork at my low weekly mileage, but it was 60F out, and I was at the track anyway.  3 x 1/2 mile.  3 miles total.

4:17

4:07

4:05

I haven't run that fast in ages.  I used to do these around 3:45 to 4:00, but that was 4 years ago, 13 pounds lighter, and with a much larger aerobic base of 30-40 miles a week, instead of 10.  So I am very happy with this.  I always loved speedwork.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

aka FlyingFinn

Busy day. I ran a few miles in the old neighborhood after school, went on our weekly pizza date with our son, then to fencing practice. After practice I went to the track for a candlelight vigil. After praying together we ran laps. A woman who I didn't recognize came up to me, called me by name, and said I probably didn't remember her. I said I was sorry I didn't. She was a nurse in our doctor's office 7 years ago, and she said I was the one who inspired her to train to run her first marathon, and she's been running ever since. I had no idea I'd made an impression on her, and I felt badly that I didn't remember her, but soooo happy she chose to take up running. Then when I got home I had a message from DS's girlfriend. She and her sister want to train to run their first 5K and she asked if I had any tips. I'm going to look up some walk/run programs for her, and hope we can do some runs together. There were many bright spots today which were greatly appreciated after so much sadness.  I can't stop thinking about Monday, but I try to focus on positive and good things.

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

Mariposai

Tramps, Tramps, Tramps...well said.

Because of reading Tramps' post, seeing Aamos post today which gave me so much joy and because Twocat's gentle encouragement on the phone today  to have a smile on my face and not let "IT" as he said it robe my joy of running (sorry buddie, I am paraphrasing you  here) I went out for a luscious 10 miler. The last 3 miles at MP or faster.

ohhh did I tell you that my tulips are in full bloom!!!!!

yeah...even those I purchased at the dollar store are in full bloom.

Who said that beauty  has to be expensive?

Big grin

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

It has been so comforting to read everyone's posts from the last 3 days. (group hug) thank you, everyone, for checking in. I think a lot of us, myself included, are going to ramp (back) up to a marathon now. In the short term, I'm trying to spread the word here in Eugene to pack the course with cheering crowds -- our marathon is on April 28th. Nobody can make a runner stay home & scared.