Masters Running

Friday the 13th! (Read 37 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dear all - good luck avoiding bad luck today of all days as, I think, we've all had enough, for sure.

Nothing like Starr's storm, and just through the late afternoon before the sun, along with strong winds, broke out, but, after the third of a really drenching wet day of the year that I sopped up in the yard not having to worry about watering the lettuce, tomato, zucchini, potatoes starts, the sun was breaking again this morning on all the blown down leaves strewn all about on the hillside trails like fall except they were all green.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MurrayM

Thanks for the heads-up!

Rest day from running but will be doing boat and boat battery related stuff, so will try not fall overboard and keep electricity inside the batteries & wires 

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start, Tet. You know what they say about bad luck... I'm glad you don't have to spend your time watering today, especially after sopping up the yard.

Sounds like a good plan for today, Murray - I hope you stick to it.

I've scanned the last couple 'o days' posts, but don't have time to comment this morning. Sorry.

For the first time since BS (before surgery, in this case), I was up and out at around 4 for my walk. I'm still taking it slow, but I did manage to up my mileage today all the way to 3.3. I'm supposed to be at 4 weeks before returning to my regular activities and am just a day over 1 week, so I'm impatiently trying to be a good patient and not do too much too soon. We'll see how long that lasts.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Tet.   Good progress, Jay.   That was some storm, Starr.

Steve- wow on the free lunch debacle!

4.3 miles this morning and now I’m at the airport heading to PA for a party tomorrow.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

. . . I'm impatiently trying to be a good patient and not do too much too soon. We'll see how long that lasts.

Sports Parents.  I'm glad I came from a family that did do sports.  My brother played football and I played volleyball (I sucked), but that was it.  Neither of my parents every played any sport and we didn't watch them on TV, so there was no pressure.

The Hub umped Little League when we were in college.  He said the parents were the worst part of the whole thing.

When I fed the cats at 3:30, I felt just tired to the core, so I didn't get up and do any workout.  I did ride my bike to work, though.  It's supposed to rain some today, but clear up this afternoon, so hopefully it's a dry ride home.

I bought rear racks for our bikes yesterday and a handlebar mounted rearview mirror for mine.  Try I might, I couldn't get either installed on my bike.  The screws for rack, which require an allen wrench wouldn't bite.  It seems like they're too big for the hole, or something with more leverage than I have available to me needs to be used to get them started.  And the mirror, the 2 wedges provided to insert into the end of the handlebar  - one was way too small and the larger one slightly too big.  I worked on the whole mess for over an hour and only managed to install the water bottle holder, which, with my shaky hand, was a PITA, too.   So tomorrow we'll load up the bikes and take them to the shop to have them install the racks and mirror.

It's Friday.  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie; often the threaded holes have paint in them. They need to be cleaned out with a tap, or a bolt with a vertical grove cut in it. Go in a little way, back it all the way out, clean off the paint it brings out, go a little deeper, repeat.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Surly - spoken like a man who's built set pieces and drop-curtain scenes galore.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Leslie - I'm DIY like Surly but I hope the bike shop'll do it for you when they find out you had trouble.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - when mariposai had me reminiscing about the Bloomsday 12K the other day, I was wondering if you were running in 1976 when the lack of drug testing allowed the East German runner Cierpinski to steal the gold from Frank Shorter's otherwise second Olympic gold and deny 4th placer and Bloomsday founder Don Kardong a bronze and if you'd ever heard of Don. Thanks

Leslie; often the threaded holes have paint in them. They need to be cleaned out with a tap, or a bolt with a vertical grove cut in it. Go in a little way, back it all the way out, clean off the paint it brings out, go a little deeper, repeat.

I'll give that a try.

The shop was willing to install the racks, but I said I'd give a go.  The "diagram" on the inside of the packaging wasn't very helpful, AND you need a hacksaw to cut off any extra of two horizontal support posts that need to be attached, and then a file to shave down the sharp ends. 

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - that DOES sound like a PITA.

Starr and Mike - your storms were on the news this morning.

Speaking of the news, did anyone see the footage on the Ohio dump truck plowing into parked ODOT vehicle ?  It appears that the dump truck was going full speed when it plowed into a parked ODOT (Ohio Dept. of Transportation) vehicle and they both exploded into flame.  Miraculously, both drivers were pulled from their flaming vehicles by deputies and currently are still alive, but with life threatening injuries, which I imagine to be major burns.  Looking at the footage, though, I find it amazing that EITHER of them survived the crash at all.

So, Friday the 13th was actually lucky for me: I got TWO job offers today - one from the elder law attorney and one from the firm downtown.  I chose to take the downtown firm's offer.  They both offered less than I like to make, but the downtown firm offered a bit more, and it has some great benefits, including getting two week's vacation right from the start (rather than having to accrue them), 10 paid sick days per year, that if not used can be converted to PTO time for the next year, and some flexibility in hours/schedule.  This means that I can choose to come in early to work if I want to get off early for, say, Thursday Night Bike Night at the Renaissance Festival fairgrounds that goes all summer.    And given the amount of dental work I see coming up, I will need to use some of those sick days/hours for appointments.  PLUS, it is hourly, rather than salary, so if I work any overtime, I will actually get paid for it.

No workout this morning, but I am going to spend about a half hour on weights and core, then hop into the shower because it is date night.   

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tet, just as I was reading your post, a spam call came into our phone and was identified as being from WA. Was that you?

Leslie, I wish I lived closer and I'd have your bike in tip-top shape ASAP. Nice that the bike shop will do it for you though; getting those forward rack supports at the right length and angle can be tricky.

Never having been either an athlete or sports parent, I had no direct experience to add to yesterday's discussions. I did have two friends however whose plan for funding their kids' college education was to press them to get an athletic scholarship. In both cases, the kids did well enough to get some money in non-major sports such as track, but by the time they were ready for college they had burned out and neither ended up going that direction. Another good childhood friend played football part of a year at the University of Cincinnati before quitting, telling his family that he had always hated playing and had done it "only for them."

Speaking of the news, did anyone see the footage on the Ohio dump truck plowing into parked ODOT vehicle ?

Holy whatever! Really looks like the dump truck driver dozed off or was very distracted on his phone! Good news on your job offer, though. I'm glad to see you get something that might be to your liking (not to mention bringing in a paycheck again).

Jay, I can see that waiting 4 weeks is going to be tough for you. In a way, I was fortunate that our weather was so carpy during my surgery recover period and I was not tempted to go against doctor's orders and go for a ride on my bike. Hang tough, though!

Speaking of being on the bike, I did a 26 mile ride this morning, mostly with the group although I broke away on the return trip to do some riding on different roads -- including dirt and gravel -- to test the handling of the new bike. This bike definitely requires more work on my part than my older e-bike, and that's generally a good thing. It was also reputedly "National Apple Pie Day", so I don't need to inform you of what I had at our rest stop.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Holy whatever! Really looks like the dump truck driver dozed off or was very distracted on his phone!

I know, I was thinking he may have dozed off or had a medical issue.  I wonder what was so flammable that caused the fireball, though. Apparently, the ODOT driver has non-life-threatening injuries, while the dump truck driver does, which surprised me. I would have thought that the guy sitting in his truck at a standstill and getting plowed into by a DUMP TRUCK going at least 55-60 mph would have been the one to take the worst hit.

Re: sports parents - as a parent of two who were in at least two sports each year (3 each year for DD) for most of their childhoods and into HS, I can definitely say that the parents are the worst, and like Karen said, most of them couldn't even begin to do what the kids do, or were vicariously living out their childhood dreams through their own kids, whether the kids liked it or not.  I coached DD at soccer for about 8 seasons, and the parents were the only ones who gave me grief.  And when DD was about 9 and playing rec basketball, which she was very good at, but still, it was a REC league, I actually heard one of the other team's mothers yelling for someone to "take her out!" and basically urging her team to hurt my child!  Over a REC league basketball game for 9-year-olds!  Unbelievable.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly - Congrats on the job!  I hope being back in the swing of things gives you a mental boost.  Re the HRT meds, they've been a life-saver for me.  I've tried to taper off them a few times, but I get a couple of weeks in, and the misery that still accompanies the lack of the HRT just isn't worth it.  I don't have a history of cancer, heart disease, etc., in my family, so the risk of having any adverse affect from taking them is very minimal.

And that video - !  I'm wondering if the ODOT vehicle had flammable liquids on-board.  Whatever the reason, the dump truck driver never even tried to swerve.  Wow . . .

I saw my sports chiro yesterday and talked to him about my PF.  I almost started crying, I'm so frustrated.  He did some Graston stuff to my foot and gave me a couple of exercises and I'm supposed to check back in with him in two weeks. I've watched a ton of videos on the technique and found a really good video by a female PT (and I can't find it again) showing how to perform the technique on yourself and I'm gonna give it a go.  I mean, if I'm willing to pay someone to cause me pain, why not inflict it on myself?  Right  . . . ???

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Congratulations, Holly!  I hope this works out and is your last stop!   Great to get 2 offers!

I checked into the Hampton here out past Valley Forge and I was the “Guest of the Day” and there was a sign to welcome me and I got a goodie bag with some food and other items.  My lucky day!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth