Masters Running

Mon Dec 15 Masters Daily (Read 521 times)

Good morning, everyone. Time to get up! Warmer but moister - 44°F and a bit of drizzle - this morning in Maryland for my short recovery run. Not sure what I'm recovering from, but that's the pace I ran. I haven't commented yet, but I have been following, Tim - 6 weeks sounds a whole lot better than the 6 month prognosis. 3.1 miles, 29:24, 9:22/mi, AHR 132 Good runs, all.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning! I haven't read all the weekend happenings yet - but from Lou's post I gather Tim had some good news!! Big grin I never did get on line yesterday to post my 4.75 mile run. That run fell into the catagory of "what doesn't kill you will make you stronger". Geech! The roads were wet, icy and slushy. Mix that with wind and light rain - it was hard and miserable. But, I got it done!! We have high winds today along with a flash freeze that just moved through the area. This is a scheduled rest day for me anyway. Tomorrow at pre-dawn O'Clock I have to have my 20 year old daughter to the hospital to get her tonsils out. She is going to have a rough 2 weeks and I think I will too. So most likely I will not get a run in tomorrow - but we'll see. She has requested a steak dinner for her last meal. Happy Monday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning Lou and Mary...and everyone else Smile Lou, I know I said 6 months off before, but that was more out of frustration than reality. But the first doc did say it would be months if I had a torn or ruptured AT. 6 more weeks still seems like a long time, but hopefully time will go by quickly...I really hope. I can't even begin to imagine how exciting that first run will be, and probably a little scary too hoping the injury doesn't return. Nice recovery run...funny you said recovery from what Smile Wow Mary - tough Girl, glad you survived your run in those condition. Good luck to your DD and her procedure. Don't really hear of people having their tonsils removed at that age...is that unusual? Sounded kinda bad when you said "She has requested a steak dinner for her last meal" but know what you meant Wink With my keyboard on the funk at home, I didn't post my workout yesterday....45 minutes lap swimming, 45 minutes pool running. I really don't know how long I can keep this up with my reaction to the chlorine in the water. I always have real bad cold like symptoms after every pool workout, and feel sick and nauseous for days... and it's really getting to me. That's why when I lap swam getting really for Triathlons, I would only go once a week because of this issue. My doctor said that there was nothing much he could do for me except maybe taking benedrel (sp). Also, last Friday during my visit with my new doctor and getting my MRI. He said he could have gave me an injection in my Achilles to help the pain and help it heal quicker, but said he didn't trust me to NOT run because of how good my foot would feel almost immeadiatley...he remembered back in high school when we played football together, and I would lie to the coach about my broken bones and injuries so I could still play on Friday nights Roll eyes Peter, as usual, another great run for you Cool Holly, I understood your apprehension about me swimming and pool running after my surgery, but my Doc friend said I could do it as long as I kept my wound clean....maybe 3.5 hours was over doing it a little though Roll eyes, but the incision is looking really good and the huge vein is gone. Actually the Doctor said this could have turned into a serious situation if left untreated. Hope everyone has a great Monday. And heeling vibes to those who are sick and injured.....and you lucky Dawgs who can run Tongue Wink TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hill Runner

Good morning Lou, Mary & Tim, {{{Healing vibes to everyone out there...}}} Erika, I don't know how you run so long in temps like that...you are one tough lady. SR & company....great photo! A quick post for me of last night run...it got darker sooner that I expected and I didn't bring my headlamp. 10.2 miles of hills @ 8:46 pace...a rest day for me today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Good morning everyone. Today was cross training day. 5 miles on the eliptical with weights and ab work. I was glad to be indoors this morning. The temp was 5F with 25mph winds. More snow on the way for tomorrow... I wonder what winter will be like when it officially starts? Angry Some good runs in not-so-good conditions this morning. Mary, it sounds like you're having what we had yesterday. Lou and Peter, you guys just continue to roll. Hey Tim - good news on the AT?? With a 6 week prognosis, at least you can see the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel, yes? You'll have the holidays for a distraction, so that should make a couple of the weeks pass more quickly. Did everyone see the news clip of the reporter throwing his shoe at GW? What do you think would have happened if the news conference had been in the US?! Stay warm everyone, and have a great Monday.
            Tramps

Enke—sorry your race got cancelled; while understandable, it’s still frustrating. Those pancakes sounded nice, though. srlopez—two hours of torrential rain? Yuck. Ribs—great pics yesterday but that weather sounds nasty to me. Gordon—tough one. Erika—running in below zero temps. Brrrrrr! (Anyone heard from Aamos? Her part of the world is in the deep freeze too these days.) So let’s review: ice in the northwest and northeast, torrential rain in Hawaii, below-zero temps from Alaska to North Dakota, uncomfortable heat and high winds in Dallas. Man, do I appreciate Virginia weather this time of year. Easy 5.1 @ 8:53 pace this morning. Hamstrings a little tight but all else seems fine this morning. Have a good week. P.S. Saw a big flock of geese this morning in a nice V-formation---flying directly north. Somebody needs to reset their Garmin.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Enke – thanks for the translation, for me and all the other conversion-challenged folks. Sorry about your race, but I think I would have secretly been relieved, given the conditions. I’m really a cold-weather wuss. Mary – good luck to your DD and quick healing. Tim – I’m surprised the first doctor let you get by with that vein problem. That’s one of the reasons I believe in second opinions on anything serious. Erika – I know what you mean about breaking up the LR like that, but I figure at least I’m getting the miles in, even if it’s not ideal. Today is x-training day, doing this lower-body workout: 1. Alternating side lunges (20L, 20R), bench step-ups (20L, 20R). 2. Weighted squats (30), weighted ballet squats (30), split squats (20L, 20R). 3. Single leg bridges (30L, 30R), forward lunges (20L, 20R) Plus shoulder presses, reverse flies, butterflies, superman lifts, and stability ball crunches. As my new shake-it-up item, I ran ½-mile on the TM before and after and between the 3 sets, for a total of 2 miles. I have to say, the split squats are a tough balancing act, and I don't even use the weights (yet): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Q8FKO7Ueg but the single leg bridges really kick my butt. Literally. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=154 Good day to all!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Today is x-training day, doing this lower-body workout: 1. Alternating side lunges (20L, 20R), bench step-ups (20L, 20R). 2. Weighted squats (30), weighted ballet squats (30), split squats (20L, 20R). 3. Single leg bridges (30L, 30R), forward lunges (20L, 20R) Plus shoulder presses, reverse flies, butterflies, superman lifts, and stability ball crunches. As my new shake-it-up item, I ran ½-mile on the TM before and after and between the 3 sets, for a total of 2 miles. I have to say, the split squats are a tough balancing act, but the single leg bridges really kick my butt. Literally.
                  Slacker Big grin Wink Timbi

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

DickyG

It could have been the world's first prescription pistol. The Palm Pistol, described on the Webv site palmpistol.com, set the Internet abuzz with speculation that Medicare might even pay for the elderly and disableed to pack heat. But this week the FDA said the Palm Pistol doesn't qualify as a medical device, and revoked the registration issued to its inventor last week. Medicare would have never covered guns for the seniors anyway. "Medicare will not cover it because there is no approved catagory for weapons," said spokesman Peter Ashkenaz. "So it would not be viewed as reasonable and necessary." "Well...damn," said the company's owner, identified only as "Sarge". "I had a name picked out for our group and everything..how does 'Guns For Geezers' sound to you?" Some shout-outs to yesterday's great efforts, many under cold and/or icy conditions: Perch (17 Lager-fueled miles), Holly (16 in the wind), Larry (7+ while practicing for the ice capades), evryday (12 miles in cold & wind), r2farm (0 degrees), Erika (-7...I wouldn't dream of running in those temps), Mary (4.75 in what sounds like a winter swamp)..you all rock! Enke: Geez....28 with high winds...not sure I could have run in that...I do think, however, this might be the first time I've ever heard of a complete cancellation...wait a minute..I remember they called off the Chicago marathon in mid-race couple years ago because of the heat. Leslie: The bat-in-the-bra story...hmmm...those bats are a lot smarter than we give them credit for! Ribs: Aside from overcooking the chicken, everything else was terrific, topped off by a PR from The Saint....and great pics to boot. But unfortunately I don't recognize any of the other names...at least they don't post on the daily. Are these former CR posters? Tammy: Hannukah desserts? Absolutely! There are lots of traditional ones..what makes a Hannukah dessert?...I have no idea. But here's one that Pam makes just about every year...and it's less than 10g of fat...cinnamon apple-cake. Check out: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=222502 Gordon: I certainly wouldn't call your gutsy effort a PW...maybe timewise, but even competing under those bone-chilling conditions gets a big thumbs-up from me. Feeling much better and am at work for a change...supposed to warm up close to 60 this afternoon so I'll go out later and run a few easy miles...still a little too congested to push it..and besides that, I'm not training for anything...probably won't race until Peachtree in July. DickyG

King of PhotoShop

Apologies to Holly and DickyG, the dinner foto features, l. to r., LaTortuga, Opie, the Saint and me. The caption for the pre-race picture names the runners. Dicky, many of these people are former CR posters, but all of them post on Kick now, with the exception of Tim (wa5yom) who no longer posts on the forums. The news coverage today about the race focuses on the high winds, which cost every runner from elites to slow pokes several minutes. A good rule of thumb is 1.5 seconds per mile lost for every mph of wind. With winds steadily at 25 and gusts up to 32 it was a very difficult day for all of them. Spareribs
                        17 degrees with 30 mph winds this morning...nope I'm not Erika...I stayed inside...
                        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Renee the dog

Sitting here eating pomegranate with my son again! Just got back from a 7 miler a little while ago. Never did run Renee last night. I was just beat, and my husband asked me what I was trying to prove. Smile I said nothing, took the dog for a walk and went to bed at 9 pm! Lovely night's sleep set Renee and I up for a beauty this morning. Tramps -- great line about the geese needing a Garmin reset. Big grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

ok, evryday, that beats my sucky weather. I am a wuss, and I do not pretend otherwise.
                            I know some wusses. I've got several friends that are wusses. You, enke, are no wuss. Big grin And about the geese flying in a V formation. If you'll notice, one side of the V is usually longer than the other. Do you know why that is? There are more geese on that side.
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                              The weekend went by much too quickly with Christmas pageants and parties, TV hookups, and Marathon Choir sessions. Lazy this morning. Slept in to catch up on some much-needed sleep. I really should have run 9 or 10 today, but could not bring myself to do it. Christmas shopping is done, packages are all wrapped and under the tree. Don't hate me ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Monday all. Not much chance to read or post yesterday. Christmas tree lighting and trimming occupied most of the day. Oh, and I ran a jingle bell run, too. Just checked in to get the results. The race was the Jingle Bell run in Somerville, MA. Last year I ran this (well, warmed up) with The Pro from Dover (Craig) and met at La T’s house. This year she decided it was more important to go run some race in Texas. With Spare Ribs, no less. He may complain about Tet, but he does alright in meeting the Boomer Goddesses. I had some panic getting there to pick up my packet that morning, as MapQuest’s directions took me straight through the starting line, where the police were detouring cars already. But I made it with about 15 minutes to spare. I took about a mile of VERY slow warm-up and got in the starting crowd, too far back as usual, and waited about 10 minutes to get going. Again VERY slowly. My gun time was 1:45 above chip time. Never saw the first mile marker and at the two mile I was just under 18:00. I expected (and didn’t mind) the bobbing and weaving for the first mile, but I was still doing it during the 2nd mile. Finally got a tiny little speed boost and ended up at 27:10. A little worse than last year, but not too bad considering the congestion. Ended up 1218 out of 3181 OA and 20 out of 52 AG. Apparently a very young race. Pretty much my usual location. When I got home I did another 2.4 miles as long as I was already dressed for it, for just under 7 miles for the day, with w/u and c/d. I was hoping to be able to run in shorts, but since it was only 28 when I left the house, I went with lightweight tights and tech shirt with last year’s race shirt on top. The Santa hat got hot very quickly and got tucked in the waist band after about 15 minutes. Tim--relatively good news on your injury. hope you'll survive the pool. I just found out that my trip into work on Friday has been rewarded--everyone that made it in and got sent home, gets the day for free. everyone else had to pony up vacation time. They are talking about some people being without power for another week. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.