Masters Running

Tuesday, January 5th and Winter has finally hit NE (Read 35 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

See if I can beat Jay to the punch.

3.8 miles for me this morning.  the thermometer said 8° and the weather site says -2° wind chill.  So I got MMTWC at least.  I tried out a couple of my Christmas running gifts--fleece lined mittens and a neoprene face mask.  Mixed results--the mittens were almost TOO warm.  I ran with them off a couple of times.  The mask is still subject to discussion.  It fogged my glasses up almost immediately--have to try it with my contacts and see how that goes.

But not much time to acclimate--it was in the 40's when I was running in LA and mid 30's on Sunday when I went out.

Happy running to all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Heya !

4.9 easy peasy miles. The roads kinda suck in that there are patches of snow pack that have become glazed over. Winter running is always interesting. The temps have been awesome though. As long as the temps are in the double digits I find it very easy to dress.

Stumpy, I'm with you on the mittens. As long as I'm active my hands do not require much insulation. I have never been able to run with a face mask. I have a couple of neck gators that I pull up over my chin...Plus I grow out my beard every winter.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

21F

"feels like" 11F

6.2 miles (mile 1= 9:59; mile 2= 8:55; mile 3= 8:53; mile 4= 8:50; mile 5= 9:05; mile 6= 9:08; last point two= 9:16)

No beard to keep my face warm but, I did start with a neck gaiter over my mouth and nose. It didn't take long to pull that down due to moisture.

Ran with Carol, Bob, Ralph, Sonya, and Billy.  S&B were out ahead and the rest of us chased them. I am unsure if I liked this but, it made me work harder than I would have on a Frigid Tuesday TenK.

Ralph and Carol and Sonya saw a shooting star. I wish I would have been looking in that direction.

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Marathon Maniac #957

Brr!

Kevin - I usually start out with a light pair of convertible running gloves (180S - I love them!  I bought a Saucony pair but do not like those - my hands are somehow always cold in them) - and then stuff the warmer mittens in my pocket.  Eventually, if I am out there long enough, my hands will get cold enough to switch to the mitts.   If I am doing a LR, I may tuck some hand warmers in the tips of the mitts, barely touching my fingertips and keeping the mitt warm.

I did not brave the bitter temps this morning, just ran 4 easy miles on the TM watching Downton Abbey.

Only 8 more weeks till March!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I didn't sleep well 2 nights ago but I forced myself to stay on schedule. That led to a tired morning today and I couldn't make myself get going. I finally did get up and did one set of a core workout and 2 miles. That was less than I intended but better than nothing.

15°, sunny, calm winds this morning.

Getting new carpet in the master bedroom and my office/guest room (which feels like half of the house but probably isn't.) I'll be helping move the furniture around. I would get started on that this morning but I have this fear that they don't show up as planned and then all my stuff is messed up for days while I wait. Hopefully it is an unfounded fear and the job gets done today. 

We have tile floors on a concrete slab. Makes for cold mornings on the feet. Carpet sure will be nice. Would have been nicer if they could have fit us in before everyone was visiting at Christmas, but no harm done.

King of PhotoShop

I saw on FB this morning that Hally tried that "11 degrees, feels like..." thing and ran indoors.  Wimp NY'ers!  Low 30's this morning and I ran with the Saint.  I did 3.4 miles and she did 4.5.  I'm doing ten miles tomorrow on the dirt track.

Took the last kid to the airport yesterday, of my son's company.  As he got out of the car at DFW he thanked me and said, "it was just like being at home."  That was the best compliment I could wish for.  Would love to have these kids visit us again any time they like and I imagine they will.  Beef stew night one, and smoked meatloaf night two.

Some woman on this site, I forget who, but probably someone I have the hots for, mentioned she doesn't read good literature like I do, but Trollope is the exception. I read a ton of crime fiction and for Christmas I got Robert Crais' and Michael Connelly's new books. Love those guys.

Yes Aamos, I do know about Joanna Trollope and her books but never read any of them. I'll stick with "Tony".

How many of you have been caught up in the social media buzz about "Making a Murderer," the Netflix series.  Out of curiosity we watched episode one last night and can't wait to watch again tonight.  Very captivating show.   Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

Image result for meetings....Seemed to sum up yesterday, at least in part....

Ribs, they were even talking about that show on NPR this morning.  It's in Wisconsin, isn't it??  Nice compliment.  You and Saint ARE fantastic hosts.

So six and a half this am--third morning in a row I'm in long sleeves!  Yippee!!  (sorry about the ice and snow and all)...

When I was up there and dealing with all that, I liked this model (above).Image result for gloves with open fingers, mittens

So I was really excited to find out there is a race about 2 hours away where you start by skydiving.  Erika does not share my enthusiasm, however, sad to say.  Anyone else intrigued??   http://www.skydiveultra.com/

I have long admitted I listen to all kinds of music when running (and not listening to NPR--they repeat shows) so once again have a new favorite lyric:

"You know you look so Seattle but you feel so LA."

Oh, Stumps, don't be punching Jay.  He prolly has to go to a meeting tomorrow!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

How many of you have been caught up in the social media buzz about "Making a Murderer," the Netflix series.  Out of curiosity we watched episode one last night and can't wait to watch again tonight.  Very captivating show.   Spareribs

Yes, it happened in a small town not too far away from Green Bay. I remember when they released Avery from prison the first time, I was happy that the justice system worked and an innocent man was freed after 18 years for a crime he did not commit. Fast forward to the "Making a Murderer" series.  Having lived in this area my entire life, this is a very skewed portrait of what happened, IMO.  When you talk to people who live near the Averys, they paint a very different picture of what this family is like. The series does make the detectives and lawyers who were part of the case look like Barney Fife could be a brilliant addition to their team, and I agree that Mr. Avery and Mr. Dassey's legal defense could have been much better. I guess everyone has to watch it and make their own conclusions.....

I've been on the fence about running the Cellcom half marathon next May, or joining a relay team who asked me to be one of its members. I get depressed because I've slowed down so much these last few years and I'm looking for some advice from the 60+ people who post here about a good training program that's geared toward the older, SLOWER runner. My goal is to finish as close to two hours as I possibly could. Speaking of getting old, I just got back from an eye exam. I have cataracts in both eyes and will probably need surgery next year. Argh!! Someone tell me to get off the pitty pot! This aging thing stinks!

5 miles this morning on the treadmill and 30 minutes of weights and core.

Have to admit that when I first read Tet's "Topicless"  I saw "Topless."  Obviously called for a closer look.

Smoked meatloaf?  I love meatloaf and made on Sunday, but we've never smoked one. Hmmm . . .  How long does it generally take?

I take after my mom in that my hands seem to always be cold.  Saturday I had a thin pair of throwaway mittens on under my winter gloves, and it still took awhile for my hands to warm up.  My fingers tips actually hurt.

SteveP - Wish I'd seen that video about "deactivating your cat" last night!  It was time to put flea stuff on everybody and I swear, with the exception of one cat, it takes both of us to do it.  You'd think we were slicing their necks open.

Late yesterday afternoon, our court runner and I had a nice long chat about walking, running, fitness, etc.  She's a short thing and I can honestly say probably has about 50+ lbs to lose.  I gave her some ideas around here to go for walks with her dog and family, and this morning she told me she got up at 4:00 a.m. and went took her dog for a walk, had sent an email to the local running club to find out which races allow you to push a stroller (she has 2 kids), and hadn't had any coffee or a Red Bull (her morning routine, at least here at work, seems to be one of those plus a small bag of Cheetos).  We had another pep talk this morning, so we'll see how it goes for her.  I hope she sticks with it.

4 EZ miles this a.m.  Rain stopped before I left, started back up about a mile from home.  Finally got to test out my new running rain jacket!  It's the little things that keep me coming back.  

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

I've been on the fence about running the Cellcom half marathon next May, or joining a relay team who asked me to be one of its members. I get depressed because I've slowed down so much these last few years and I'm looking for some advice from the 60+ people who post here about a good training program that's geared toward the older, SLOWER runner. My goal is to finish as close to two hours as I possibly could. Speaking of getting old, I just got back from an eye exam. I have cataracts in both eyes and will probably need surgery next year. Argh!! Someone tell me to get off the pitty pot! This aging thing stinks!

Jlynne - you don't know what OLD and SLOW means.  My advice is to run the half and have fun while you're doing it.  I tend to run between 2:20 and 2:30 depending on the hills, weather, etc.  If you can be a "mudder", then a half is a piece of cake for you.  As to eye exams, get a second opinion before surgery.  I was told I had glaucoma and henry was told he needed cataract surgery.  with a second opinion, neither is true and no surgery suggested.  I can't give you advice for training programs, as I just run and have fun and don't train (maybe that's why I'm slow???)

Slo

Jlynne - you don't know what OLD and SLOW means.  My advice is to run the half and have fun while you're doing it.  I tend to run between 2:20 and 2:30 depending on the hills, weather, etc.  If you can be a "mudder", then a half is a piece of cake for you.  As to eye exams, get a second opinion before surgery.  I was told I had glaucoma and henry was told he needed cataract surgery.  with a second opinion, neither is true and no surgery suggested.  I can't give you advice for training programs, as I just run and have fun and don't train (maybe that's why I'm slow???)

Good Advice...see you in May.

Henrun

I'll second that. If you're still running when you hit 80 you'll know OLD and SLOW. I just signed up for a half in May and I intend to have fun(will have turned 82 then).

TammyinGP

Hola!

Had a planning meeting last night, so didn't get in a run of any sort. Had a "first" happen to me. The 5 of us were riding up the elevator to my office to hold our meeting (5 adults and a 100 lb mastiff who one of our board members found and was returning to owners after our meeting). Needless to say we were a little tight in the small elevator. Can you see where this is going yet?

elevator goes to 4th floor (my floor), then goes dead. We are stuck in elevator, in a building that is totally locked up and closed, so literally NO ONE in the entire building but us...in an elevator...

fortunately I had reception on my phone.

called my boss. got his voicemail.

left my panicked voicemail 'we are stuck in the elevator' 'i'm going to die'

oh, one lady is 7.5 mos pregnant.

15 minutes later (really? felt much longer!) boss and a fireman arrive (did you know that firemen don't really arrive to save women with a dalmatian and are not really shirtless? I've been duped all this time)....pry open door (thankfully we were actually stuck on a floor and not in between floors!) but door can only pry open about 12 inches. it's a good thing the pregnant woman was a very tiny pregnant woman.

okay, my heart rate and blood pressure returned to normal and we conducted our meeting. We left via the stairwell and that is the same stairwell I will now be taking every day I go to work.

Tammy

TammyinGP

photographic evidence had to be taken of course (no not by me - by another board member who actually found the whole thing rather humorous)

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

5 miles this morning on the treadmill and 30 minutes of weights and core.

I am now an official 60+ slower runner, so i guess I'm qualified to respond.  Right now I've started with the Higdon Intermediate Half training program.  It's not actually geared to 60+SRs, but the times are adjusted based on desired results.  I'm aiming for to break 2 hours in an ealry March half.  It has some speed work in tempos and intervals while running low-ish miles 5 days a week.  three weeks in, I appear to be adjusting fairly well.  Of course, I still need to complete it into March and then break 2 hours to see if it works. (then I need to carry all that speed forwward into April and try to finish within 5 minutes of Amy in our 5K deathmatch   )

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.