Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 2.3.14 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I was out of the loop for most of last week and the weekend, and so won't even try to catch up. I'm very much looking forward to a more 'normal' week this week.

Last Saturday I had to present 3 warrant articles at our town's deliberative session. Despite that fact that I didn't get overwhelming support from the residents there, I was OK with the proceedings until one guy commented on our last warrant article. He likes to incite people, for no particular reason, and is one of those people who cherry-picks facts and only uses those nuggets that serve his purposes. He questioned my integrity and that of the Conservation Commission, and I am still very unhappy with his comments. Fortunately, the great majority of people understand exactly how he operates, and I got a lot of personal support afterwards. His comments were inappropriate for that forum, and a rebuttal would have been as well, and only would have encouraged him further - that is what he likes. So I didn't say anything then, but I will. I usually don't let stupid stuff like that bother me, so I am surprised that what happened Saturday still bothers me a lot.

6.1 RW miles at 4:05. It rained yesterday, and even with the temp at 34 this morning, there was some skim ice on the roads. Fortunately, I saw most of it before I crossed it, and slowed way down in time. So I guess I wound up doing ice-slick fartleks, which made for an interesting workout.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Good morning.  I have some free time before I start my trip home to the cold and snow.  Tallahassee is no Thailand or Costa Rica, but it has been mostly sunny and around 70.

The trip down had an interesting start.  I woke up an email that my flight out of Flint Michigan was canceled.  I tried to call Delta but couldn't get through to a person.  I couldn't figure out any way to rebook on-line.  So I threw my suitcase in the car and drove to our local airport in Midland to talk to a real person.  (Flint is about an hour drive away.)  The check-in person said if I was ready to go they could send me right away, so I ran out to my car, grabbed my bag, and off I went.  I had 2 connections instead of 1, but I got to Tallahassee 2 hours earlier than my original flights would have done.

Annabelle came and stayed with me at the hotel Friday night and then we spent Saturday doing kid stuff.  She made a list for us.  She needed help with spelling, but she is writing good for Kindergarten.  The list included, food, toy store, play ground, and race expo.

The race was pretty good.  The size is limited to 800 in the half and 800 in the full (I think).  The results showed about 700 half finishers and 400 in the full.  Very well organized, good start and finish line facilities,  It was in the upper 50's and 100% humidity.  The fog was pretty thick at the start.

Coincidence or not, my running times dropped off 1+ minutes per mile after I started taking a statin for cholesterol.  For this race, I was training for about a 9:30 pace, but I could tell from my training runs that I wasn't quite there.  So that along with the humidity made me try for a 10:00/mile pace.

Splits: 10:11, 10:42, 9:53, 9:54, 9:57, 9:46, 9:36, 9:54, 10:10, 10:05, 10:04, 10:12, 9:50, 1:04

Final: 2:11:20 (10:02 pace)

Except for a bathroom stop in mile 2 I hit it pretty good.  No matter how many times I go before the race I seem to need to need a bathroom stop a mile into a long race.  I didn't wear my Garmin but I did have my old watch where you manually mark the miles.

I consider this race a "with statin" pr and hopefully on the road to even better times.  I don't train to go fast, but I do like to run under 2:00 hours for a half.

I spent the rest of the day with Annabelle.  I didn't get her to sleep until 9:00 and by then the Super Bowl was 36-8, so I ended up not watching any of it this year.

Am I the only one who never heard of Bruno Mars?  I guess I need to listen to something other than country and light jazz.

(Sorry for the book length post.  It's hard enough to keep up with things around here.)

Mike E

MM #5615

I think that was a great post, Dave!  Congratulations on your half and it sounds like you had a good time with Annabelle.

Jay--I'm not sure how you restrained yourself, but nice job.  I'm sure it really ticked him off that you didn't engage in an argument.

I'm at work, so gotta go!

King of PhotoShop

Yes Dave, you can expect 30 seconds a mile or so with statins.  I'm working on diet things to reduce my dose which is now at 20 mg of Crestor. Seeing my doc today in fact.

Got a speedy five miler in this morning in my new New Balance shoes.  Very exciting shoe to run in.

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2014/02/boston-marathon-quiz-answers-did-you-win-some-feetures-socks.html/

In this post, which Tet and Henry may enjoy I reviewed the first two questions on the quiz, covering Switzer and Shorter. Hope you like it. Spareribs

Thanks for getting us going, Jay.  And nice job on keeping your cool.

Congrats on the race and quality time with Annabelle, Dave!

Seeing as how I got very little sleep from about 1:30 to about 4:00, I didn't get up and work out this morning.  Hopefully will sleep better tonight.

Soapbox Time

Saw a piece on Fox News this a.m. where they were talking about CA's drought and the effect it is having on the central valley, one of the largest produce growing areas of the country.  Senator What's-His-Face (can't think of his name) was down there holding a press conference about how there's water that can be diverted from "the north," and how can officials think keeping "a fish" alive is better than providing water to people - yadda, yadda ,yadda.  My comment: "Well, sir, if you kill off the fish, then what are you going to do for the people whose livelihoods depend on the fishing industry?  And what about the communities in the north that are running out of water, as well?"  It's not just the central valley that's getting hit hard by this drought, it's the entire frigging state, and how to best use the water supplies that are available is not a black and white issue.  The only reason we in Humboldt County are doing okay is the two lumber mills are shut down.  Otherwise, we'd be in a world of hurts, as well.

Stepping Off Soapbox

Okay, I'm done.  Have a great week ~~~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

I get nervous when people start talking about building a pipeline from the Great Lakes to the southwest.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

A.  Watching my first Superbowl since 1968. 
                Not only was my lifelong Denver Brono fan sister’s pre-game preduction correct about their record-setting quarterback continuing to set even more records in this year’s superbowl (for most ever completions - 33) but my worst nightmare about the game being a blowout also came true (43-8) , . . . just the way I like it. 
                They even had a sports psychologist on the radio this morning saying it’s okay to savor it as much as possible, especially when there was so much terror and horror not to savor going on in the world last year. Unfortunately, I missed NPR’s annual coverage of Groundhog’s Day altogether.  Oh well, there’s always the barking huskies and malemutes when the Iditarod starts up in erika-land..
                B.  Boston.

ps ribs - I wonder if frank shorter might have entered some Bostons incognito or bandit in case he might have been mentoring slower runners as he used to in some marathons. Anyway, I’m glad Kathrine Switzer is still milking her Boston finish ‘cause I’ll get to meet her at the annual Yakima River Canyon N.A. 100-Marathon Club Reunion Marathon in April. Yippee!  However, I wish they’d put her on tv or talk radio like some of the other more blatant milkers with their self-serving books and interviews.
                C.  Running - sorry I missed so much impressive running this weekend, especially snowy wildchild and dave combining running with GD.

Is it a running tattoo tw?.

Where’s ilene’s umpteenth marathon?
                ps jay - Good job for not reducing yourself to the scumbag’s level.  Be proud.
                ps zigs - make room for me on your soapbox.

Go Hawks

!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

ps zigs - make room for me on your soapbox.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

janie b good

2 miles ... I was freezing and stopped short of my planned 3.  sunny, 29*.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay – sounds like a troll.  Glad you didn't take the bait.

Dave – nice race and the visit with Annabelle is of course a priceless perk!

No running for me today, just 30-40 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Hi ya all. Just a quick post because a line is better than none. Busy day and days ahead of me. 2 recovery miles plus a lot of fun at Winter wellness tonight with some awesome New Year's resolutionistas who are actually sticking to it! It is so cool to see the progress the participants have made in only one month.

Cold day, but the sunshine is back!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

I agree Jay is dealing with a troll. You did the best thing you could: not respond (at least at the time).

Dave, well done on your race and glad you got some time with Annabelle. Hope you can get on top of that statin issue. Some people report a lot of muscle pain, but hopefully that's not something you deal with?

5.7 miles at lunchtime today... clear sunny gorgeous day, and it was 22° at my office building when I left, and I could feel it get progressively colder as I went down the hill. Brrr! I think it was about 12 or so at the low point, but the sun was shining and it was such a nice day... almost didn't want to go back. But... I did.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

hey holly - no wonder I love cats so much now.

hope you can see my GS w/new cat.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - I can't see your picture....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."