Masters Running

Trial Run (Read 433 times)

dg.

As hard a time as I had doing this, it ended up reallllly long.     I recommend the short version.   I finished.   Big grin

Thanks for reading!

Many moons ago, I peeked at a CR thread for those running the Columbus Marathon.  I clicked on the course map & thought OMG.  Having lived there for my first 18 years, I knew the course, & realized what the distance represented.    I hadn't been running long, & was probably injured at the time.  . I posted that I'd like to try it the next year (2008),  & Holly said ok, let's do it together!   I was so excited.   Well, a series of injuries made that impossible.  

Fast forward to Dec. 2008.   I'd had a couple of pretty good weeks & so the last week of that month I registered for the 2009 race.  The following week I reinjured the usual body parts.    It was a bit of a battle that winter & spring, and I wasn't able to be where I'd hoped to be when it was time to start training.  But it was doable.  I had a great physical therapist.... not only is she exceedingly patient, intuitive & skilled, but she let me run Smile.   I needed to bump down one level on my training program, but then was finally at a place where I could make fairly steady progress.  The plan had one 16, 18 & 20 miler. 

October sure came fast this year!!

My DH kindly suggested that I drive down (well it's 'down' on the map) to Columbus Fri. evening & stay in a hotel, even though I have  plenty of family in the area.   It turned out to be a great idea, It was great to have a little bit of quiet before the flurry of activity.  The last couple of weeks were exceptionally busy at work & at home, so I ended up getting there later than I'd hoped, but it was still worth it.  Talk about a nice place!   At check in I asked if there were any good places around there to run, & they handed me a piece of paper with route descriptions for various mileages.  Perfect.   Sat. am I stepped out the door & did a nice 2 mileish loop.  (my footpod battery died mid run).

I debated whether to divide my report  into things to repeat & things to avoid, but decided i'd leave them together.  I think running your first marathon where you also have family you haven't seen in TOO LONG is at best a mixed blessing.  The main problem  that there is just too much to juggle & you end up racing the whole weekend.   Holly kindly agreed to meet me at my dad's Sat. around noonish, so that I could spend some time with him.  I knew he'd get a huge kick out of meeting her.   And he did.   But as a result we were rushed to get to the Expo, and throughout the rest of the day.  Sorry Holly.   We followed each other through downtown traffic-- other people wanted to go to the expo too imagine that!   After I almost sideswiped a car trying to get past a traffic backup, we finally found places to park,  got inside & looked around.  My first Expo Smile.   Would have liked a little more time but it was good.  We each got new gloves & our race packets, then headed out again.

Next stop was at my brother's house, where we unloaded our (in my case massive) piles of stuff, worked on logistics & tried to relax just a little.   My brother (Mark) was a trooper through this whole thing, & did whatever he could to make it easier for us.   That included going out to get a battery for me while we went out to dinner.  

Dinner was great.   We had fun exchanging strategies & catching up.  It was wonderful seeing Bill & Debbie again!   And then Barbara & Ralph showed up, just as adorable as ever.  You never would have known they'd just ran a marathon.   Thanks so much for the goodies...  you chose well.   Thanks especially for making the trip over to cheer us on.    Bill.... remind Deb that she has Bayshore again.    Too soon after Boston?  nah.

Sun. A.M., Mark drove us to the Hyatt where we met Bill and waited for it to be time to head out.   Lot's of pent up excitement in that room.  Robert., I can't believe we didn't see you. 

Bill has described the weaving through the throngs part.   Holly, I can't believe we lost you.   I thought we'd meet up at the gear truck.  I should have hung on to your pony tail.    Fwiw, if you ever do need to make your way through a mass of peple, Bill isn't a bad person to be following.  ;-).    Then, as he said, we started shuffling along toward the start line.  Wondering how Holly was!  I don't really think I was that nervous, maybe I was in denial.   Bill's parting hug was a real boost, and his comment 'if there's a question, go slower!",   was wise & well timed.  

I felt amazement and wonder as the race actually started.   As well as, I think, surprise! 

I didn't have a race plan other than, as had been suggested, to finish.  And to start out slow, which I did.  

Mile 1  10:42.   probably just about right.
    Mile 2  13:00   

hmm.   Ribs!   look over there... Lucy has your Newtons!  /// Ok, let's get the potty part over with.  The port-a-potties that were supposed to be by the start line were well hidden, and I had to stop at the first one on the course, about 1.5 miles in.  I wasn't the only one; there was quite a line.  Also.. I had a lingering infection, and ended up stopping 4 times.  Sorry, boring & maybe TMI but it was a factor.   ///    SR nevermind, sorry, it was just her toy. 
    Mile 3 9:57
    Mile 4 10:27
    Mile 5 10:01
    Mile 6 10:38

I walked though the water/gatorade stops,  I didn't have enough practice at drinking on the run, although I did set cups on the back of my car a few times during my training runs.   It also seemed like a good way to have tiny breathers.   Well anyway, the miles show it.

Mile 7 10:38

I tried a new thing for this race, which despite the warnings about that seemed like a good idea. I put something from the expo on my feet that was to prevent chafing.   I think, because i don't wear socks with these shoes, it just made my feet slip around.   By mile 7 the outside of my heels hurt a lot, (they've never hurt before, including during the 20 miler) so I played with gait and all from then on.  I ended up with a couple of really big blood blisters but they'll heal just fine so it's not a problem.  Just funny how things can catch you by surprise. 

On the other hand, I also used Body Glide for the first time.  It was great.  Ilene, I won't need my flannel shirt sleeve any more.  :-). 

Mile 8 12:20

Here is probably the main thing I need to figure out how to fix.    My hands don't work when they're even a little bit cold.  I had 2 jackets to unzip, as well as a waist pack to get to the gels.  Which I couldn't open.  I tried it while I was running, but then I had gel on my  fingers while trying to put my gloves back on.  Which I sometimes dropped during the process.   So a few times I just ended up stopping for all of that.   sometimes someone would open my gel for me.  
    I'd also like to find an easy access method for Nono's Magic Soft Pretzels...  baggies with twist ties aren't it.  But they were great, the gatorade & gels did not make me sick. 

Hey Bill & Holly,  in German town there is a really cool book store.   We ran right by it.  Smile

One thing I noticed going through the first 10 miles or so, the miles just clicked on by.   Pretty cool!   The sun was shining, the trees were shining, & I kept trying to remember all your comments about soaking it all in.  There were little kids with balloons or signs yelling things like  "you're doing great!" or "congratulations",  

Mile 9 - 10:07

Mile 10 - 12:01

Mile 11 - 11:38

Mile 12 -  10:17

Mile 13 -  10:14

The half split had the same effect on me...   a siren song.   But it wasn't too loud.   Just past the split I heard the dumbest though well intentioned remark by a spectator.    "You're past the half way mark!   The worst part's over!!!".   won't type what I thought. 

A little past that a couple of us were amused by "you're looking fresh!".    I mentioned that we probably smelt fresh too.     One thing that made me feel good was a lot of comments through the last half that I was looking strong.  Whether or not it's true, it makes you try even harder.

The crowd support was really good, at least it seemed so to me.  I've wondered if there was a way to write to Columbus & say thanks. Smile   

I thought High street was hilly.  How about you, Byll?    

Next time, train on the hill by Holly's house.

Mile 14 - 12:21

Mile 15 - 10:42

Mile 16 -10:21

About at this point was the only time I had much conversation with another runner, & it was nice.   It was his third or fourth marathon; each time Columbus.   He has a 3 & a 5 yr. old, who had been at the start, he said his 3 year old said "Daddy don't go!"  as he saw them along the course.   Reminded me of Sarah's phone call, Holly.   We ran together for a while, then split up.     I saw him later as I was emerging from a pitstop, He had hit the wall.   I felt bad for him.  (ok, my evil side still felt bad for him, but felt a little relieved since he was much younger and all, maybe I was doing ok).    He zipped my jacket for me. Smile.

Mile 17 - 12:34

Mile 18 - 10:35  happy to see the miles piling up.

Mile 19 - 12:50

hugville.

Mile 20 - 10:39         My cousin Linda lives on Berkshire, we ran right by her house.  I haven't seen her in at least 10 years.   she didn't know it was me as I flew up & gave her a hug.   dropped my camera on the ground & tried to peel off a jacket. (throwaway vest had been left at a water stop.  henceforth, my disposable camera, in a pocket of the next jacket, kept thumping me in the hip.   and falling on the ground).   Linda's neighbor helped me get out of the jacket, I hugged LInda again & her husband Jeff & off I went.

Next was my dad.   He had to use a cane (hip issues) to walk, & haul a chair to his spot, & there he sat by himself with his little pompom hat on.   He grinned from ear to ear (but he didn't know me initially either.  funny)  .  Several hugs there.

Mile 21 - 11:18    A very dear aunt of mine, also 84 like my dad, lives a mile & a half off the course.     She was out there with 2 of her neighbors.   The soft pretzles I'd dropped off with her somehow she thought were for her (poor thing, little chunks in a worn out baggie) & she brought candy corn.  Smile   more hugs.

Mile 22 - 10:21

Mile 23 - 10:22   just before this Holly called to see how & where I was.   I said, crappy, & am almost at mile 23.  She said she'd try to work her way back to the finish.     oh... I'll put this here.    Holly worked very hard to make sure that I had a good experience.   I know she had plenty of her own things to deal with, & had been even busier than I was pre-race weekend.    It was a huge help.   Holly, thanks so much. It was so wonderful to meet you, though I feel like I knew you already.

Mile 24 - 10:26   Holly called again & let me know where they were, which was a great idea.

Mile 25 - 14:07   ow ow ow.    stoopid hill.   stoopid wind.  (maybe this was 24)   couldn't someone do something about it??    ;-)   I walked on & off during the last 3 miles. 

Mile 26 - 10:46

I tried my best to follow the tangents, & to avoid too much bobbing & weaving, but that part was impossible.  Too many groups, running 5 abreast.    My polar which is supposedly calibrated, & I check i regularly, said 26.96.   That does seem way too high, but at any rate, the last chunk of a mile isn't tracked since I forgot to hit the lap button.       

Finally around the corner & down the finish chute.   I think the best moment of all might have been when I saw Holly, Bill & Deb smiling, waving & yelling at/for me!!    Makes me smile now just to think about it.   Thanks!!       And crossing the finish line wasn't bad either.  Big grin.

I got my medal & my blankie, water & a hat, and then there was Holly & Bill to hug & congratulate me.   I was so excited about Bill's BQ ... (& Holly's again ;-) )I wanted to call someone but thought it was probably past the window for that!   ...

This is already way too long & there is a lot left out.  I may add just the facts later, I do remember 50/73 in my AG. 

I cannot thank each one of you enough for all of your support through this.   Wish I could do so individually.  So many of your comments stayed with me through the race.   As well as before & after.     Thank you so much.

I learned a lot, and finished uninjured.  

If you made it through all this,   I'm amazed,,, and another genuine thanks for reading.  

to sum up:

I finished, upright, mobile, & with a smile on my face.

I can't wait for the next one.

Dg,

It was fabulous spending time with you again.  I knew what a great experience you were in store for and it was  great to be a part of it - before, during, and after!  You honestly looked amazing at the end - like you were out for a stroll.

At dinner, you mentioned that you thought you might BQ - "It's only a 4:15" - I think you said.  I remember thinking to myself but not saying it out loud "Maybe she is capable of that, but I hope she doesn't really try for it".  The first marathon is not the time to be getting aggressive.  The goal of the first is just to Finish.  Now on the second or third, since you know what's involved now, you may go for it.  The marathon is unlike any other race distance.  You know that now.

It looks like your mile splits are very consistent.  Nice!  You seemed a little disappointed at the end.  But like I said afterwards "Walking is not a sin.  There's no rule that says you can't walk".  It doesn't look to me like you walked much at all.  You did Great!  Amazing really!

How neat that you got to meet some family and friends near the end.

I'll be back at Bayshore next year, though perhaps running the HM.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Awesome Job and pretty well executed race plan.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Nice run DeeBeeGeeBee!

Thanks for this report, I enjoyed all the details.

I wish we would have been better spotters...I was glad to read even your own family didn't recognize you...

Congratulations on completing your first Columbus Marathon!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Slo

Now there's a RR that is impossible to read and not smile !

Dad's and Daughters......so cool that your Dad was there to watch.

Good friends, family, weather....what more could you want ?

Congratulations on your huge accomplishment !

Congratulations, marathoner Debbie.  I've had my fingers crossed for you ever since you committed yourself to training for, and running, this marathon.  Now that you've finished and done so well, I can say that your past injuries made me nervous.  Between your determination and your physical therapist you were able to get to the start line healthy and finish the same way.  It's so neat you got to meet up with holly and the bregers.  It's also neat you got to see family members, including hugs, along the way.  I really enjoyed your report.  You let us know how things were going all along the course.  If you feel like adding more details, that will be fine, too. I think you ran wisely, not pushing too hard and walking the water stations.   I suspect, that you have a few body parts that were not happy for the next few days (in my case it was my quads - I walked funny and wanted to go down stairs backwards).  Take those little aches and pains as badges of honor.  I am happy for you and hope you are still smiling over what you accomplished.

TomS

I've been looking forward to this RR and it didn't disappoint. Hard to believe that earlier this year you ran what I think was your first organized event -- a 5K -- and here you are finishing a marathon. FWIW, I ran my first at just about your age and only ran a 5:15, so no reason not to feel good about breaking 5 hours.

Of course you know what this means. Now that you know you can run 26.2, you don't have any excuses to not run all the shorter races. I'll expect to see you on the starting line in Dexter next June.

Again, congratulations Deb! You've come a long way and have some good results ahead of you.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

I am grinning like the Cheshire Cat after reading this. Your report ROCKS and so do you dg!

You remembered so much detail...amazing! I barely remember my splits and then I am in a fugue state for awhile (like weeks). Seriously, this is tremendous dg and I am so thrilled for you. You combined a big milestone with friends and family and achieving an important goal. It doesn't get better than that!

The last line of this report is my very favorite. I can't wait either and I hope I'll be there for real this time.

Go dg!

King of PhotoShop

Congrats to the cutest and sweetest marathoner I know.

Glad I had to go tend to the dog so I missed the early part of your race.  I imagine you would have run a sub-4 if you hadn't had Holly calling you all the time too!

Great report and I am so happy for you.  Spareribs

Fantastic, dg!   You are a real winner!   I love your spirit.

Congratulations Debbie !!

What a fun report to read. It must have been comforting seeing all those family members along the way. Well done and I hope to see you at a few races this winter.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

(happy sigh)

I LOVE this report!  Even though we talked after the race, I didn’t get all the details about meeting up with your family (maybe I was a little frazzled myself and didn’t take it in) but I love that you have included stuff that I missed the first time around.

Again, I am so sorry that I talked you into sports wax on your feet – I had no idea it would GIVE you blisters, rather than preventing them – lesson learned.  On the other hand, at least the body glide was a good thing.

Deb, I just have to say that it was so awesome to finally meet you in person!  I am so happy that I got to be a part of this experience, and can’t thank YOU enough for being a part of mine, and for providing the lovely family hospitality of your extremely kind brother.

Running a marathon is not for the faint of heart, and after the first one, people either never want to do it again, or they are hooked.  I’m so glad that you landed in the second category.

CONGRATULATIONS, MARATHONER!!!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

What a great RR!   Totally had me smiling the whole time I was reading.  I didn't know you grew up in Columbus - nice to do a hometown race, with lots of friends and family there to cheer for you!  And extra special to meet Holly and to see Bill and his DW again, and Barb and Ralph, too.  Sounds like as good a first marathon experience as you could hope for.  A huge congrats!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Wonderful Race Report Deb!! You did it!!  All in one piece and, most important..... "I can't wait for the next one."

Congratulations Marathoner!!!

This really made my day!  Thanks!

Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

#artbydmcbride

Congratulations!!!  

Runners run