Masters Running

Tuesdaily- last day of November (Read 38 times)

bioguy

Holly wrote "Back at work today.  My foot hurts.  Ah well.  In 20 minutes I can take more ibuprohen...."  Take care of that foot!

JLynne avoided the 17 degree temps- “Off to the Y.  5 miles on the treadmill, 10 minutes on the rower and 20 minutes of core and weights.  And the 4 pounds I lost before Thanksgiving?  I found them.  Back on the program."   With workouts like that, I'd think those pounds will disappear soon. Then again, I'm still eating the birthday ice cream cake I got on Thanksgiving.

BTY switched google nosepieces to swim 2350 yards. A trip to the gym too! I'm a big fan of chin-ups and pull ups. 6 is nice!

Surly- your rant on the American health care “business” is spot on. Hope the knuckles heal before your next bar fight.

Karen enjoyed her 4.8.

Tet zipped around the perimeter of a local park.

Leslie is pondering cat names. I’m staying out of that convo as I (don’t anyone get angry) can’t stand cats. I wanted to name the last two dogs we got Darwin, but each time Mrs Bio outvoted me 1 to 1.

Dave reminded us that cats are psychopaths.

Jay squeezed in 5.2

Moebo got in 5 on a Covid sick day.

Enkephalin took a rest day.

Doug got in a 3.3 mile walk with DW.

Evanflein ran 7.3. Ok, so it was -15 which is a heat wave of sorts.

Shadow got in some weights then 3.1 miles later in the day.

Mike zipped through 8 and had enough energy afterwards to do a leg workout.

Econo popped in to report no workout, but loved seeing Dunkin at the beach.

Steve got in 2 miles in the snow.

I ran 6, but my left knee developed a niggle about three miles in so I dialed it back.

I get some quotes sent to my email each day; I enjoyed this one by Carl Jung, “ A human being would certainly not grow to be 70 or 80 years old if this longevity had no meaning for the species to which he belongs. The afternoon of human life must also have a significance of its own and cannot be merely a pitiful appendage to life’s morning.”

Have a great Tuesday!

Marathon Maniac #957

Thank you, Bioguy!

So, my DS emailed me a Christmas list of ideas for him and his GF.  I made some purchases from the list, and emailed the list, with my purchases highlighted, to the mother of the GF, so she could see what I had already purchased.  She and her DH decided to give the kids cash for Christmas, and emailed the list I had sent, with my purchases highlighted, to her DD (and my DS).  She told them what I had already gotten them for Christmas!  Does anyone else here think that was incredibly rude?

Webinar at work today from 9 to 4:30, so fidgeting and putting my giant bandaged foot on the desk is probably okay.  I sure wish my office door was not made of glass.  I can hardly wait to get this bandage off on Friday so I can slather my foot in lotion so it will stop itching!

May be an image of indoor

Here's a funny....but kind of true...

May be an image of text that says 'UPS tracking: "Your package is in City, USA on a truck driver by Bob and will be at your door at 2:37pm" FedEx: "Your package is coming, you'll get it when we give it to you." USPS: "You ordered something?" 11:48 AM Amazon: "We're inside your apartment." Facebook: "We know you were just thinking about getting a toaster oven. Here are 15 ads for toaster ovens."'

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start 'n recap, Bioguy. I sure hope what I am living through is not a "pitiful appendage." My DW's broken arm - that's a pitiful appendage...

Rude, indeed, Holly. I hope you get through the day-long webinar today. That's a might big foot! Some scary truths in those delivery service and FB blurbs.

I didn't sleep well again last night because it dawned on me in the middle of the night that I just have more work on my plate than I have time to complete. So I'll be working my cute little butt of for at least the next 2-3 weeks. So I woke up at 3:30, got up at 3:40, and was out the door at 3:55. At first, I was going to go 6 miles, but then I thought I'd back off today and keep it around 4, but then I kept going and finished with 5.8. A guy I know pulled alongside of me at one point and asked if I was warm enough. I told him I was as long as I kept moving. It was 23° with enough of a breeze to make a difference when in my face.

DW and I are going to see Morgan James at a local jazz club tonight. I hope I can stay awake.

Have a greta Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Thanks for the start BioGuy.

I like those shipping blurbs but UPS hasn't been living up to their delivery times lately.  I don't care, just making an observation.

My biggest problem getting stuff is getting it shipped. I love Eddie Bauer but it takes a long time to get stuff.  A couple weeks ago I ordered myself 3 shirts. 2 fleece ones and one that looks like it would be a good first layer on cold morning runs.  Only one item says it shipped but it is USPS and may never get here. The others have shifting expected ship dates. One of them is out in January now.  It'll be a nice surprise when it arrives.

Sabres looked terrible and lost. I watched until they fell behind by 3 goals and then did some reading.

I am so glad they opened a Planet Fitness near by. Since I completed the fall challenge I have started to cut back on running and switch to other stuff.  PF has something called The Matrix which is like an elliptical.  It is a good workout.  I did 30 minutes on it this morning.  I go ahead and track my "miles" on it since to me it is harder than running.  Only got through 1.93 miles this morning.  Rolling Hills workout at level 2.

After that I pushed some weights around for 20-25 minutes.

Oh the stuff that the young girls wear.   Super tight tights or short shorts.  And in bright colors.  This PF is small and narrow with mirrors all down one side. It is impossible not to see everyone.  I just stare at the floor as much as possible.  Some stuff you just don't want to see.  These girls are younger than my daughters.  If there was a gender segregated gym around here I think I would join it.

My biggest problem getting stuff is getting it shipped. I love Eddie Bauer but it takes a long time to get stuff.  Only one item says it shipped but it is USPS and may never get here. The others have shifting expected ship dates. One of them is out in January now.  It'll be a nice surprise when it arrives.

Or, your order could be laying in a ditch in Alabama with the other 300-400 FedEx packages they found.  Where's Tom Hanks when you need him?! 

Thanks for the start and recap bioguy.  And such control with that birthday cake!  Great quote too.

Holly - that was a rotten thing to do.  And this could be an in-law sometime soon.  Have you met her yet?  Good luck with that itch.

We got 2 inches of snow overnight and things looked dicey this morning at 5:00.  Another trip to the Y, which is getting more crowded every week.  I suspect the time limit signs will be up within a few days.  5 miles on the treadmill, 10 minutes on the rower and 30 minutes of weights and core stuff.  I'd love a treadmill for our basement but our fridge broke on Thanksgiving.  Everything has been crammed into the extra small one we have in our basement.  Can't find a repair person either.  We've had this one 14+ years which is awesome but we won't stick a lot of money in it if it's the compressor or some other big item.  Then the trick is to find a new one and get it delivered sometime before next April 

Off to Candy Land.  Have a great Tuesday everyone.

bioguy

Oh the stuff that the young girls wear.   Super tight tights or short shorts.  And in bright colors.  This PF is small and narrow with mirrors all down one side. It is impossible not to see everyone.  I just stare at the floor as much as possible.  Some stuff you just don't want to see.  These girls are younger than my daughters.  If there was a gender segregated gym around here I think I would join it.

We are having incredible dress code battles; females coming to school with half their abdomen exposed (along with some belly button jewelry).

Before you decry the public school system, this is a parental problem too. Some parents don't care, but more often they will say things to male teachers or administrators  like, "Why are you looking at my daughter that way?" and it turns into accusations of sexual abuse. Other parents claim that all clothes marketed to teens are cut short to leave skin exposed.

I can't stand it.....Retirement is quite appealing

Thanks, bioguy.  I don't know how you survive the teaching wars.  It's just hard on so many levels.

Steve- I'm SO glad Dunkin is OK and that you just need to monitor his activity.  The vet thing is tough.  I would be annoyed at all the sales stuff, too.  We are really lucky to have our wonderful vet just a mile from our house, and the emergency 24 hour vet just about 3 miles away.  It's so important since our furry friends can't talk to us about what is wrong.

Holly- I agree.  Runners with poop issues is old news.  I remember decades ago being on a business trip (car) with an engineer from Ohio and we were going to make a rest stop and he said "oh, these gas stations aren't very nice.  Let's find a restaurant or hotel lobby."  I said, "Hey, I'm a runner.  If it's inside, and not behind a bush in someone's yard, I'm good!"  He was pretty shocked.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh the stuff that the young girls wear.   

My 19yo DD is an offender.  She constantly wears leggings and cropped tops to the gym (and other places).  The tops only show about 2 inches of abdomen, but the leggings, oi vey.  They show almost as much as being naked would.  I hate them.

Jeanne - buy the TM.  You only live once, and winter is almost upon us.

KSA - I know, right?  Having pooped in a culvert next to a dead sheep during the Kulia Marathon in Kona, I think my track record for not being that darn picky about potty locations speaks for itself....  (Hey, there were no trees or cover of any type for miles....)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

moebo

We have pretty much given up on the dress code at my school. At first I was a little shocked at what girls would wear, but no more! In their defense, it is actually true that much of what is available for kids to buy, and practically everything that they see on social media, is not what I would consider “school appropriate”. Sometimes when it’s really over the top I might say something like, “Your outfit is SO cute, you look great. But maybe when we go out for a mask break you might want to put on a sweatshirt--it’s chilly out there!” That usually works.

Holly, that was definitely not cool. I guess they don’t have Christmas secrets in their family...lesson learned!

On pooping: I think I may be the only person in my town who is happy when the winter port-a-potties go up at the beaches. That means I don’t have to wait for the 8:00 am bathroom opening time anymore!

3 miles today to make my monthly total a prime. 101.1 miles for November, highest month in years!

MurrayM

I get some quotes sent to my email each day; I enjoyed this one by Carl Jung, “ A human being would certainly not grow to be 70 or 80 years old if this longevity had no meaning for the species to which he belongs. The afternoon of human life must also have a significance of its own and cannot be merely a pitiful appendage to life’s morning.”

Have a great Tuesday!

I have a theory about that.

I read that somebody crunched the numbers from people who had run marathons throughout their lives. In their teens the runners were pretty slow, sped up in their middle years, then slowed down again as they got older. The bit that stuck with me was their times as 18 year olds matched their times at 60 years old. That means, waaaaay back in time it was important for the older ones to keep up with the group.

Additionally, Humans are one of only about 3 species where females go through menopause...Killer Whales and Pilot Whales being the other two I know about. This can only mean that the wisdom we gain through life is important.

Holly S. funny package meme! Reminds me there is one at my front door I have to pickup.

I am not running today. Or likely until next week. My leg needs a break.

My DW is gone today to handle her aunt's final affairs. Her aunt passed away yesterday. Poor woman has been vegetative for some time now. i will not go through the details of her final days, but I think we need to reconsider how we handle end-of-life issues beyond letting people starve or dehydrate to death when they can no longer feed themselves.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MurrayM

Apparently you can add Beluga Whales and Narwhals to the menopause list.

https://qz.com/1372767/twice-as-many-animals-go-through-menopause-as-scientists-previously-thought/

Knowledge and food sharing with younger whales being the theory, which helps the survival of the group as a whole. Interesting that It's only toothed whales and us in this very select group. I wonder if that makes us as smart as they are?????

If there was a gender segregated gym around here I think I would join it.

One of the newer gyms around here does have a gender-segregated room for women who want to work out without being ogled. But you're right about some of the garb such as those yoga pants! In the "I wish I could unsee it" category, one young woman of size walked out of the dressing room at PF in skin-tight flesh-colored yoga pants that out of the corner of my eye looked like she wasn't wearing anything at all! 

Hoping this isn't TMI for today's runner relief discussion, I remember in the Detroit Marathon just after crossing the bridge into Ontario, the course looped back under the bridge where there were some piles of construction materials stacked and a large contingent of runners darted back there since we hadn't some to any potra-potties yet. Well, it was quite a mixed-gender crowd back there standing and squatting and although we were concealed from the street, we weren't from each other. One of those "what happens on a run stays on the run" moments. And oh, the next year they had that area fenced off with some construction workers standing guard...

Rode virtually again for 15.1 miles at a 15.5mph average, 419 feet of climbing, and 107W average power.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Holly- I forgot to say that I think it is terrible that the mother shared that list!  VERY inappropriate.

7.5 miles to end the month.  It's a beautiful day here- sunny and already in the 50s. (started at 40).  I overdressed, of course.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Great quote, Bio.

In the "I can't believe what young people wear" camp - .  There was a young woman in front of me at Costco Saturday who was wearing leggings and a short sweatshirt.  The leggings left nothing to the imagination.  I'm in the camp that leggings are not pants and shouldn't be worn as a regular clothing item unless something is covering your butt.  For a few years at work here we had some young woman who dressed what I thought was wholly inappropriately for a professional office - leggings and tops that didn't extend go past their butts.  And cleavage.  Wearing lowcut, tight tops seemed to be the thing.  . . . . . Does this mean we're old fuddy duddies??? 

Long ago I perfected the fine art of pooping while running.  It's a gift.  But I try to not share it too often.

Holly - And yes, it was rude for your DD's GF's mom to let them know what you're giving them for Christmas.  Does she by any chance have her house decked out Grinch-style?

All the discussion about pet names has been fun!  And I just got off the phone with the Humane Society and I'm picking the new boys up at 3:30.  The lady I talked to wanted to make sure I understood that Darth is hissy and needs socialization, and I told her that's why we want him.

I got in 4.20 predawn miles in foggy, damp conditions, and added in 6 short (20 sec?) hill repeats and 3 or 4 30 second fartleks (?).

Okay - I gotta get going.  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance