Masters Running

Mother's Daily, 5.13.18 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone, and especially the mothers among us!

Mothers never, never get enough credit for the work they do to hold families together and move them forward. So enjoy your day, and thanks!

Saturday’s workouts:
    Dave59 (6.06 good sunrise miles)
    Tomwhite (40 min pool run with letters)
    RunnerKSA (1.1 streak-preserving TM miles at 3AM)
    Tramps (5 mile run)
    Henrun (stretching + 30 min walk + icing)
    Quickadder (13.4 morning group miles in 70-80° temps at 10:05 pace)
    Holly (5 slow/gentle miles in 72° temps)
    Stumpy (3.1 round-the-lake miles in IRC)
    Surly Bill (bathroom remodeling cross-training)
    Tammy (3 mile runs with each of 2 dogs)
    Falconfixer (4 EZ morning miles + 32 windy bike miles)
    Maripsoai (3 Green Lake miles + 3 evening family walking miles)
    Mike (10 miles)
    SteveP (5K with GD#1 & Tag)

Early morning yesterday, eh Dave?

I always appreciate Tomwhite’s perspective on life.

Congrats on another streak day, KSA.

Remodeling a bathroom is not “doing zero,” Bill!

Congrats to David on his OSU scholarship, Tammy!

Sorry about the church member’s passing, Mike.

Gotta watch that budget, Steve!

A good group of us pulled tires, rusted metal, cans and bottles, gun shells and targets, etc. from our town forest yesterday. I guess “carry in, carry out” is unrealistic. I put in another 2.2 miles during the clean-up. While I was gone, DW emptied the garage (we've been cleaning it out for a couple of weeks) and washed the floor - today, we get to put it all back together. To quote TW: "ohboyohboyohboy"

4.5 early, EZ RW miles in 39° temps and serious ground fog.

Have a greta Mother's Day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. Sounds like you had a very productive weekend. Thanks for the forest clean-up, and thanks for your recap. Have fun putting your garage back together!

Congrats to David on his scholarship Tammy. What a smart young man.

Our neighborhood has a massive rummage sale on Mother's Day weekend every year. I didn't think I had much to sell, but ended up making nearly $700. And DH was happy to get rid of a lot of "junk" (his words, not mine )

I'm not convinced the injection I got last week is working its magic yet, but got out for a 4 mile walk this morning. DH and I will play 18 holes of golf in a couple of hours so my back will definitely get a test today.

Happy Mother's Day to everyone. DH asked what I would like to do for dinner tonight, and I told him "anything I don't have to prep, cook or clean up". It might end up being a bowl of Lucky Charms

C-R

Happy Mother's Day.

I like lucky charms but Captain Crunch rules.

We started "plogging" around here. It's a great idea and makes the world a little better. Good for your forest clean up team Jay.

Congrats on the scholarship for your son Tammy. Always nice to see hard work rewarded.

Got 10.3 on the trails today. Beautiful morning and saw quite a bit of wildlife out.

Meal prep here today is for the extended family so I will be grilling for 12 with some sides. Makes clean up a bit easier.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Quickadder

Got 12.5 miles on the trails this morning. Lots of wildlife - mainly deer fly - DEET just seems to increase their appetite. Dew point was 70 at start (70F and 100% humidity) and rose to 74 by the end.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Tramps

Jay--"carry in/carry out" seems to work fine. They carry it in, you carry it out. 

I was ready for an early ride today before I realized it was pouring out, so I had to wait that out.  Afterwards, it was a wet/gritty first half with pooled water everywhere and a hot/steamy second half as the sun came out and heated up the roads so they were steaming.  40 miles today.

Go Caps.

Be safe. Be kind.

pfriese

Happy Mother's Day!

I'm up in the PNW for another week keeping an eye on the grandsons while their parents are away on their 25th anniversary cruise. My wife is currently in Ecuador on a mission trip. So, the boys & I are just hanging out motherless today. While up here, I've had great weather which made for some great running (including some nice hills...good for a flatlander like me to experience). For the week, I have a little over 52 miles total. I should have a similar week next week, then it will be back to the plains for me. I'm able to read the forums and log my runs ok on my phone/tablet. Posting is a pain, so I may not check in again until next Sunday.

Paul

Happy Mother's Day, mothers!

3.9 dirt miles ez

rare "before noon" run for me, because I was antsy. dull ache in achilles, never got any worse, actually got better as I warmed up. Of more interest to me is that hip pain didn't go away after a week off. Maybe bursitis? Around and below Left iliac crest; opposite leg from my bad achilles.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Marathon Maniac #957

keeping an eye on the grandsons while their parents are away on their 25th anniversary cruise.

You are WAY too young to have a child who is celebrating a 25th anniversary!

Happy Mother's Day!

Lacrosse season is officially over, as DD's team lost the tournament game yesterday.  It was a tough fight, though, and the girls played well.

DS is up at Ohio Northern with his GF, who graduated today.  There will be a celebration on the 26th so we did not go to the actual graduation.  She already has a job waiting for her to start in a couple of weeks (at a salary $11,000 more than mine ).  She and DS will move into our downstairs for several months to save some money and then will be moving out to an apartment together.  Next Friday we are getting new carpet for the family room downstairs (soon to be a temporary apartment) and the upstairs smaller living room (soon to be our family room), and we will make the transition then, moving DS's stuff from his bedroom to the downstairs and moving some of downstairs stuff up to his room, including my home office, which is currently tucked into a corner of the family room.

In spite of a case and a screen protector, DD's cellphone screen shattered when she dropped her phone on the cement floor of the laundry room.  It seems strange to me that Batteries Plus now replaces those, but it won't be cheap - something like $150.  Ouch. We will get that done tomorrow.  We'll also be shopping for a better case.

My day today included some weeding in the flower beds, shoe shopping with DD to get her some sandals, and working remotely to try to get ahead of my workweek.  I promised DD I would give her a pedicure later, after I work a bit more.  A quiet day, but that's the way I like it.

5 miles for me today in 69-ish degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Quickadder

Bioguy/Quickadder, forgot to tell y'all; Marshrunner is considering the Wynn, AR marathon in November.  Jeri is already signed up.  I have to see if it interferes with any drills.

Falconfixer, that would be great but I have a couple of issues that may make it unworkable. I am already registered for my first 50K race just 2 weeks earlier and likely will not be fully recovered. Also my DW is not fully supportive of my running and effectively vetoes anything involving an overnight trip.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

pfriese

You are WAY too young to have a child who is celebrating a 25th anniversary

Thanks Holly. The math doesn't work out quite right, I know. Long story short, when we were 30, we became foster parents to a wonderful teenager. We adopted her shortly after and were blessed with a fabulous daughter.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

We adopted her shortly after and were blessed with a fabulous daughter.

That's awesome.

I went 8 miles after church.

Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers in our group.  We sure do have some good ones in here.

Debbie has been visiting Ryan in Portland, OR, all week.  She comes back, today, at 6:40.  Of course, I have been running around washing dishes and catching up on the laundry...I hate doing laundry.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Quick drop by from here in paradise.  Congrats on the scholarship for your son, Tammy!

1 streak mile from the beach this afternoon just to see if I could do it.  I barely could, but I did.  Some hills but not horrible climbs.  I almost wish the doctor would tell me to stop, but they seem to think the one mile isn’t slowing down the healing.  I’m not so sure.  Taking it a day at a time.  Also did some snorkeling.  Son did a really tough 7 mile trail run with huge climbs and steep downhills and then swam 2 miles open water.  The water here is so beautiful and clear and the water temperature is perfect.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Howdy!

Well, I stay away form the forum for so long, I was pretty shocked to find out Holly's DS has a GF who is soon to be a live-in GF in their basement!  It's obviously been too long.

Congrats Tammy on your son.  My guy, same age finally decided which college he is going to.  North of the border - UBC - I'm excited for him.  So I'm soon to be a half-empty nester.

It's been a crazy warm weekend.  Up to 83 F here today.  Yesterday I went for a 6.3 mile trail run, up at Cougar Mtn.  They had a race going on, and I was trying to pick different trails than the race, but didn't have much luck.  Often had to step aside to let some fast dude by.  I only did a 3 mile run about two weeks ago, after basically a year off running.  Found out nothing hurt, my new shoes felt great and told myself to start at it again.  The trail run also surprised me with how little I hurt afterward and reminded me how much I LOVE trail running.  I signed up for a 7.5 mile, 2000 feet gain trail run in August, so I HAVE to train.

Today Mr. Blue Eyes and I did a 40 mile bike ride.  Unrelenting sun - I hate the sun!  I get heatstroke/sunstroke easily, but I think I did ok today - wore a visor under my helmet, not caring how dorky that might look.  And we did a leisurely pace.

I have in the past month biked to work a few times.  It's 12.8 miles in, and then on the way home, I will take the bus most of the way, so about 15 miles total. It's nice in the morning.  I go by some beautiful homes on a quiet road, but then I get into the big city and am riding under the hiway overpasses feet away from homeless people's tents with them doing meth.  Kind of from one extreme to the other.

Work has been crazy busy, but great.

My home laptop - the power button broke.  I opened it up, found the missing piece and tried gluing it back to the power board.  That didn't work as the superglue got on the little button and locked it up.  So I paid 35 bucks for a new power button board and put that in. I can't believe it's working now, except the touch pad keyboard keeps popping up on my screen when I don't want it to!  It was sure cool to see the inside of my laptop.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, and Happy Mother's Day!

Got up early and joined a colleague/neighbor for a 5 mile run.  Again, knee pain continues to subside.  Then drove to New Bern to see my mom (and sister and brother-in-law).

Have a great night everyone!

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms.

Tammy - Sweet news about the scholarship!  Keeping fingers crossed the luck continues next week.

The Hub and I did some exploring yesterday.  Hiked Trinidad Head in the hopes of whale watching, but after an hour at the top with the fog not letting up, we left.  Stupidly, last weekend was the first time he'd been there and yesterday was the first time I'd been there . . . and we've lived here over 30 years.   Anyway, the fog sent us northeast and we ended up finding a trail head that I'm hoping I and a couple of other ladies will be able to explore next weekend.  Somewhere between 11 and 13 miles, mostly downhill on the way out, so obviously mostly uphill on the way back.  I'm excited about it, though.  It looks beautiful.

Today was an EZ 6 at the McKay Tract, then yard work and laundry, and The Hub fixed our fountain.  I'm trying to figure out how to dig out a mess of a plant that's taken over one of our flowerbeds without killing my 10+ year old potato vine.  It's going to be tricky.

Okay - I need to hit the hay.  Feeling a little pooped.  Nite ~~ 

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance