Masters Running

Forest Ranch Four 50K race report (Read 37 times)

TammyinGP

This was my second 50K with my first one being in Sisters, OR in Fall 2020. comparing trail races, and ultras, is like comparing apples to oranges because there are just too many variables that can make them vastly different. terrain, elevation, climb, etc. 
    I knew going into this that I SHOULD be able to better my time. It is a relatively flat course as far as 50ks go with about 2400 ft elev change. (I think the 3 Sisters Skyline was around 4000, so not a huge difference but enough). 

I signed up for this back in January, right after I start PT on my broken shoulder, because that is what any sane runner does right? 
    Training went remarkably well and I felt real strong going into this race. My goal was in the 7 hr range (3 Sisters was 8:08). My friend Lisa, who I log some of my longer trail miles with, was running the 100K (2 50k loops). We headed down to Forest Ranch on Friday (about 5 hr drive), stayed in Paradise about 30 miles away. Not much for accommodations closer to the race course, unless you camped.

Course: nice and wide logging roads that were packed dirt. the recent rains made a few areas muddy, but you could easily navigate around it if you didn't want to mud puddle it with your shoes. The soil was not too sticky to cake on to your shoes, but just soft enough to make for perfect running terrain, IMO. It was so easy on the legs.

Weather: After a very solid week of rain and even some snow down there, the forecast for race day was sun balls and mid 60's! Perfection!  Start was about mid 40's, finish mid 60's. 

Attire: running skirt, short sleeved light weight Patagonia running shirt and started with a light weight wind breaker, dirty girl gaiters and my hydration pack, and a buff on my wrist for all the nose wiping. 

This race offered 4 distances: 100k, 50k, HM and 4 mile.  50k and 100k started at 7 a.m. and other distances at 8. There were only 10 that started in the 100k and 31 in the 50k.  Lisa and I ran together the first couple miles maybe and then since she was doing 2 loops, she backed off to run more conservatively. Around mile 2-3, I was keeping pace with another young gal and we kept each other company for about 3-4 miles maybe.Otherwise, much of my run was solo with the occassional small talk as you either passed or were passed by other runners.  I was happy that with about 8-9 miles to go, I passed at least 3 runners i can think of and no one passed me, but we were pretty sparse out there

I was having a good day out there and was pleased with my splits when I would hear my watch beep at me and I'd occassionally glance down to see my pacing. Quite a few miles in the upper 10 to low 12 range with only a few in the 13 or 15 range and those were either climbing miles or steep descent miles. I need to hold myself back on the downhills and not run them or I know my knees will be screaming at me later! I did find one of two little treasures on the course. There is a 2.5 mile lollipop loop that is literally bushwhacking to get through it. Not very runnable at all but so well marked and decorated with all the Easter Bunny and butterfly decor. it was adorable. I found one of the hidden (not really very hidden but I guess everyone before me was just trying to get through the bushwhacking as quick as they could and missed it). My prize for retrieving the egg and carrying it the finish line was a selection of some different Loco gear and I chose the bottle opener. that'll be my camping bottle opener 

I was still feeling so good until we hit some 10% descent around mile 28 or so and then my IT started telling me it wasn't too happy, so I had to do some walking on those parts.  Doing the race math in my head from about mile 20 on, I knew I should be able to get in the low 7 hr range. I was going to be stoked with that!

Aid Stations: I think there were 5 A/S and they were fantastic. almost too fantastic and in retrospect, I should have moved through them more quickly.  for the most part, I chose a few pickles, some boiled small potato bites dipped in salt, grapes and grabbed a few starburst to suck on when I was on the course. I had one stroopwafel with me that I ate, but otherwise, these A/S were so well stocked, I didn't need to bring anything. quesadillas, broth, pickle juice, the usual chips, pretzels, bacon, gluten free options, homemade biscotti, candies. . . .I can't think of anything they should have had but didn't.  

I had heard that this course usually measured a bit long, so was anticipating a bonus mile or two. I was surprised when I saw the sign that I was only 1/2 mile to the finish and my watch was at 31.2.  My watch time showed 6:24 of moving time, but I had it set on autopause (forgot to turn that feature off prior to the race), so I was hoping I hadn't wasted too much at A/S. 

Finish time 6:37 and a total of 31.7 miles. I was so pleased with that time!

Post Race: they put on quite a post race party too! Made to order grilled cheese sandwiches, homemade tomato bisque soup, all the snack you could want, libation tent with beers, margaritas or bloody mary's.  

I hung around for about an hour, then went back to my hotel while Lisa was running her 2nd loop. She thought she might finish around 8:30-9:00 pm so I came back to the race area around 7:00 and hung out with everyone still there. She had a tough second loop and didn't come in until around 10:30 I think but she got that 100k done!

While I was waiting, I had the time keeper pull up my standings and was shocked to learn I was 2nd AG.  and then I find out that first place AG was only 3 minutes faster than me. Oh, if only I had known! It would have been so easy to shave off over 3 minutes throughout the course of that race. 

Intrepid Adventures/Loco Race Series puts on a fantastic race. She does a few different races during the first half of the year. I can't say enough good thing about the organization, the race support, the attentiveness to every runner, the swag was amazing!  I had a great day out there and I would go down to this area to run this again, or one of her other races, in a heartbeat!

Thanks for making it through my long winded RR. Here's a few pics for you. My screen shot of my splits got cut off at the end but my pacing those last couple miles was mile 30(11:25) mile 31(12:05) and the last .6 was 11:28.  

I'll add pics to the next post . . .

Tammy

TammyinGP

Flat Tammy:

No photo description available.

this is what the majority of the trail was like.

May be an image of nature, road and tree

It was pretty hard to miss her signage for any area that could even be remotely confusing

May be an image of outdoors

my lucky egg:

May be an image of 1 person

entering the lollipop easter bunny zone

May be an image of tree and outdoors

Lisa and I at the start:

May be an image of 3 people, people standing and outdoors

Tammy

TammyinGP

the splits:

and the swag:

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Wow!  Great report, great pictures, and great result!  And you even color coordinated your fingernails with your lucky egg!  Congratulations!

pfriese

Great race Tammy! I'll be coming back to read this again since I'm signed up for my 1st 50K race this fall. This sounds like a perfect course on a perfect day with good friends. Glad you had a great race. And the egg (which matched your nails) was a nice find/bonus.

Paul

Tammy, your running has improved by leaps and bounds.  I am so happy for you!  And great swag.  I'm keeping this race on my list for future reference.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MurrayM

You must have a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction...congratulations!!!!

Dave59

Congratulations on a great effort. It sounded like a lot of fun.

mrrun

Congrats on a great race & race report.  Pics added even more!

Henrun

Congrats Tammy. You really nailed it.

Love the old-timey RR, Tammy -- just like the old B&B days! And a great race for you, achieving your goal by a good bit. BTW, I remember messing up my race timing a couple of times by not turning off the auto pause. Too bad you didn't get the AG win but it's hard to tell who you're competing against when you're on the course.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

Wow, Tammy, I knew you were going to do great on this race! Your training has been fantastic and you just keep going and going. Well done! That course looks really nice and I love the markings. We have a half marathon out in North Pole (15 miles SE of us) and the mile markers are little santas that are pretty cute. So how many eggs were hidden and I guess that would've been explained at the beginning (that they were out there)? <Love your nails!!>

Tramps

I was with you until you started eating pickles. Bleh!     

Seriously, though, that's an awesome performance, great AG placement, and wonderful report. We haven't had one with a fashion report in quite some time!  Thanks for sharing.

I know nothing about trail races so I'm surprised to see that a dirt road like this would qualify as a "trail" race. Very interesting. It would definitely be my kind of race, as opposed to those twist-your-ankle rocky trails like the JFK out here.  Beautiful.

Congrats!!!

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

Thanks all! Still no race results but I knew it would take awhile to get them loaded.

Erika - I missed the pre-race briefing because I was in line for the porta  so was unaware of the eggs (2 were hidden, but the one I found was literally right in front of me, propped up on a rock and many many people had passed by it before me!). I could see there was a piece of paper in so just decided to open it and check it out.)  Guess it was just my lucky day. nails and all 

Tramps - sort of trail, and I guess sort of not. I would guess that maybe 70% of the course was like this - through a mountainous forest area, but old logging roads that were perhaps used for either logging, or fire access lines. some areas had evidence of fires that went through many many years ago. It's also a popular trail system for dirt bikers although it was closed to them for the weekend.

Tammy

Love the pictures and the report.  Terrific race.  Congratulations!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth