Masters Running

Halloween Daily, 10.31.12 (Read 323 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Dave, great cholesterol report! Keep up the good work. I hope you can find a way to get off (or at least reduce )the meds, and still keep the numbers good.

AD, that 'wind' is mysterious and scary to a lot of us.

Twocat, I'm glad you're safe, and hope you get your power back soon.

TomS - how good of you to stick with your wife, and still get a good run in!

Like  Enke and Mariposai, my legs are achy this morning. I went out at 4:15 for a 5.3 mi. easy workout. It was 53F (ridiculously warm for late Oct!), quite damp, and with just a light breeze from the east. There was good moonlight - when it wasn't hiding behind some dark clouds passing by. I'm still fatigued from Sunday's half - I don't recover as quickly as I used to, and I worked myself pretty hard in that race. How the heck am I going to get back together for another half on Saturday??

DW is leaving for a business conference today, so I'll be on my own till Sunday morning. Uh oh...

Yesterday afternoon, I built (from a kit) a stand-up desk for my office. So today is my first day on it. I'll see how it goes. It is supposed to be a lot healthier than sitting all day. Has anyone else every used one?

Enjoy your Halloween!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

..mornin' jay//.........tonite's supposed to be 29-degrees..

.......seems like

Halloween always has bad weather

=======

....hiking in about an hour

(see if this PT has ImmediateBenefits)

going to look at bikes

and

a poolrun if Shopping hasn;t traumatized me.

.................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Slo

Have fun shopping for bikes tomwhite.

Jay is bach'in the rest of the week. For me, that means Tombstone Pizza's every night.

7 miles recovery pace for anyone that's keeping track. Crystal clear skies and a bright moon.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

45F felt colder with the winds 10-20 mph

5.2 miles.

Roger ran with me for a little while but refused to run an extra 2 miles! Bruce was absent this morning. So I was by myself for the second half of the run. Perhaps it was just the Halloween atmosphere but, I felt like someone was following me during mile 3. I finally decided it was just a zipper on my reflective vest jiggling a bit. 

The crisp clear sky illuminated by the practically full moon made for a spectacular morning to run.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Henrun

At airport in Paris awaiting 2nd flight to get us home. Will miss Halloween since we arrive late tonight. Hope to run tomorrow if not too jet lagged.

Top 'O the World!

Happy Halloween/Samhain!! Smile

{{prayers for the East Coaster Folks!!}} stunning & heartbreaking photos hitting the internet & TV Sad

Beautiful weather here in CO...should be hitting mid 70's before the kiddos hit the streets. Easy 3-4 planned with the furbaby in a little bit & then a busy day planned....should start thinking about what to pack to take to Moab for the wknd - delighted to find out that we'll have several friends running with us this wknd!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
              Mariposai

Good to see that henrun and Marj checked in today. I was thinking about them yesterday. Safe travels.

Yes, I texted Hally with no response. I am sure she is OK since went to be with a friend inland.

Jay, I have some friends who use the stand-up desk and they really like it.

Calm rain around here this morning. The rain was coming down pretty hard on the second half of my run. I was very, very happy when I got back home. Joking. Only 6 miles since this is cut-back week for me. 

Speaking of cut back week, how do you guys structure your cut-back weeks? I tend to build up for 3 weeks, then cut back one week (running about half of the total miles per week I am currently running, so if I am running 40 miles, my cut-back week would see me running 20ish) to then build up again. Sometimes I don't obey this rule and that is when I tend to get in-trouble with the threat of injuries or sluggishness. Anyway, I just wonder what the rest of you do.

Off to get ready for work. Today is dress up day at work and a pot-luck. Today I decided to wear my flamenco dancer outfit Clown

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Found out that our RA friend perchcreek got in a run the other morning to keep his streak alive. And we're talking about a morning when I was hesitant to drive: dark, tremendous wind, rain and sleet in the air! 

I was going to take it easy today, but was already feeling too sedentary this week, so went over to the rec center for some laps in the pool. I feel like I'm getting more comfortable with it, so we'll see what happens if I can keep it up over the winter.

How are the rest of you doing today?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

3 miles for me this morning.  I need someone to come stand by my desk and smack me every time I start to procrastinate with my work.

Bushrat Runner

4 miles yesterday, on my horribly sporadic running non-schedule. Will make an effort to get out again today...got to get in a rhythm...

Took a trip Sunday afternoon to give some stick time to a guy that is interested in learning to fly. We took the scenic route to visit Tikchik Narrows Lodge by flying over to Ekwok, New Stuyahok, and Koliganek on our way up. Was a bit windy at those three, so he got to see some crosswind landings, plus we were bucking a major headwind so the flight there took quite a while. The strip at the lodge is just a narrow track, maybe 1700 feet long (maybe shorter, not sure). Here we are, parked at the far end of the strip after landing, with my copilot walking up the strip to the lodge.

One of our local flyers was here to visit a mutual friend who is the winter caretaker, and his recently acquired spam can was parked at the other end of the strip as we got to the lodge.

The lodge setting is pretty nice...as was the weather...not sure I've ever seen better flying weather, even with the headwind on the way up it was smooth and beautiful, and dead calm around the lodge.

When we got ready to go again, my copilot lost his head...

We pulled the airplane forward in the gravelly grass at the end of the strip, then set it ready to roll forward. After we got in and ready, we got everything ready, fired it up, and blasted out of there. It was lovely. Quite an amazing little spot for a lodge, which has been there a long time.

On the way home we went looking for caribou, and we turned up a group of around 10 at one point but none other than that. We will have to work a little harder to find some when we get ready to go hunt this winter. On the way back home we crossed the Mulchatna River near its confluence with the Nushagak.

Copilot in training.

And some dude that needs a shave.

Moonrise over the Alagnak River was pretty awesome.

Sunset over Bristol Bay.

And finally, the moon just a few minutes after the Alagnak moonrise photo, as the sky color was deepening, was getting really impressive...pretty cool.

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow - Troy - amazing pictures - I never grow tired of looking at the beauty you live in!  I have to tell you, though, my DH was mentioning last night that his friend is getting his flying license soon and before he could get the words out, I said, "not a chance, no way, I do NOT want to go flying with him!"  Maybe when he has at least several years of flying time under his belt....

Beggar's Night went better than expected, cold and windy and moist but not actually rainy.  DD and I went out while DH and DS lounged in front of the TV.  Quite a few trick-or-treaters out in spite of the chilly weather.  I'll try to post a picture of DD later.  She's 10 this year, so only 2 more years of this....Undecided

4.4 easy-paced miles for me this morning on the TM.  Cold rain and wind outside, and I didn't feel like braving it.

Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Happy Halloween all!  We still do not have power and the electric company has no idea when that will change.  Most of my town and heck the whole east coast is similarly afflicted!  Last year a freak October snow storm caused my town to "officially" cancel Halloween due to all the power lines lying around on the ground.  This year they said "use your best judgement."  Well there are some parts of town with power so I guess kids can go there.  Around where I am I doubt anybody will.  Closer to the beach area (if you can get there) the homes were flooded out so I am pretty sure there will be no trick or treating down there.

I may try to get back later with some shout outs.  In the meantime in celebration of the day my avatar has "voluntarily" morphed into full blown zombie cat mode!  I am not sure anybody noticed by each day he has been changing bit-by-bit (literally and figuratively!) from a live cat to a walking dead cat!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Scenery wasn't stunning like Troy's but still a perfect lunch run.  6 miles easy.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

...120min hiking,,,not great, but not hurting,,,,,,,,

went bike shopping

millbott

reccommended a ''Comfort'' bike,

so if I survive

the week's BorrowedBike rides, I just may get one.

kinda looked like slo's snowbike

...ps.....I think the one I saw had fenders for water and mud.....