Masters Running

The Daily Sunday Daily, 3.26.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Saturday’s stupendous workouts & races:
    Tomwhite (40 min, pool run)
    RunnerKSA (9.2 miles [more than 8] in 65° in FL)
    Holly (7.1 windy miles in 58-61° temps)
    Dave (Care For Your Colon 5K: 28:05, 1/8 AG, 19/162 OA)
    Tet (5 briefly sunshiny miles)
    BerthaSlayer (EZ 4 miles with a friend, pre-Sunday HM)
    Rochrunner (5K with rain, 26:57, 3rd place 70-74 AG)
    Twocat (1 hour on the elliptical)
    StarrRuns (8 miles out/back train miles with windage)
    dg (7 miles with hillage and mizzle)
    Enke (3 run/walk miles with sore knee tendons)
    Mike (16 miles, on pace, but running out of gas at the end)
    Mariposai (scenic 20 miles)
    Evanflein (post cleaning & shopping 7.3 miles on campus)

Sounds like a good plan for your toes and ass, RunnerKSA.

Sorry about the crisis, Marj. I hope everyone is OK.

Nice-looking tufted ducks, Holly.

Dave, country to your opinion, apparently you weren’t too slow for the AG win - congrats!

Evanflein, I can’t imagine you being flat, fluffy or lazy!

Good luck in the half today, BerthaSlayer!

Rochrunner, our only ‘character’ is a guy who shows up at all races on a bike festooned with flags and banners.

Twocat, thanks for the slide. Good luck in today’s 4 miler, and have a great time with DW a the Cork City Marathon!

StarrRuns, your son is a tall guy! Good that you and he got to run together for a while. Too bad he stopped running. But thanks for the great photo of ‘Jamaicab’s’ last 10K.

dg, I also only have a glimmer of what is going on…

Sounds like a great party, Enke. What makes it the best homemade pizza?

I agree with Evanflein, Mariposai - someone who can go out for a 20-miler and finish ahead of schedule is not undertrained. Thanks for the beautiful photo!

Happy Birthday to DS1, Evanflein!

I woke up at 3:45 this morning, fed the cat, and went back to sleep on my favorite couch for another 90 minutes. I decided I didn't want to have to wear my headlamp this morning, so I waited till it was light enough out (6:15), and headed out. I got a little farther than the end of the driveway when it became clear there was lots of skim ice from yesterday's rain that froze overnight. So I came back in and waited another hour till the sun was high enough to start melting the ice. So I finally got out at about 7:15 in 24° temps and sun. I went 6.6 RW miles, and worked pretty hard for all but the first one. My splits were better than they've been in a long time, but it is clear that I am nowhere near race ready. I learned that if feels like I'm going faster when I workout in the dark, but also that the sun sure feels good on chilly days.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

4 miles for my last SW Florida run until I come back for a conference in Naples in a month.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

C-R

Greetings auf Deutchland. Bist ein schonnes tag mit 20C claar himmels und sonnig.

Nice and safe to be outside without headlamps Jay.

Enjoy that run RKSA. Next trip might be a bit warmer in those parts. Like 90s

Got a little over 4.5 exploring miles today. Just took off in a general direction and found footpaths and paved bike ways. Nice these are here. They connect most of the small stadts together this way for biking and you can run on them too. I was the only runner out but lots and lots of walkers and bikers.

Enjoy the Sunday everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Henrun

Did it! My first race in over one year. It was a 5K on a beautiful, sunny 40 degree day. I came in last but 2 minutes per mile faster than I have been running/walking. Since this was the start of a pub series saw a lot of friends. Unfortunately they reversed our numbers, so Marj was last. We were able to straighten it out with the RD. Glad my new knee held up😀

Schonnes pictures CR

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Finished my hm. Not a pr but I wasn't expecting one. I'm very happy with it. I'm coming back.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

catwhoorg

Labrat

Shook off my sinus bother and cleared them out with 11 miles of VOX2max intervals on my treadmill.

I checked the mileage on it, just shy of 4000 miles.

Not a terrible investment, as it obviously keeps me nearby if my wife needs urgent help with one or other of the kids.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Nice pictures, C-R.  Enjoy!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Finished my hm. Not a pr but I wasn't expecting one. I'm very happy with it. I'm coming back.

Nice job, Bertha! Grosse Ile is sort of an interesting locale with just the two bridges to get onto it (one paid, one free as I recall). I did a Memorial Day 8K out there a couple of times 10+ years ago. At least the weather today was drier than yesterday.

By the way, here's a photo of a typical creaky old-timer who often shows up at these events. You can see that he's fixated on the finish line ahead. (But seriously, how did I ever get to be this old??)

I just got back from a workout at the gym, and that's about it for today.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein funny about the cash. My DW's late dad used to give everybody cash. The kids would give him cash too. At Christmas it was basically a wash. 

StarrRuns you need to work on DS. Marriage and kids is no reason not to go out for a run. Heck, it would get me out for a really long run!

coastwalker I cannot believe it is still so cold and miserable here in the NE. I feel your pain on the icy roads. It is late March!

RunnerKSA I have three words for you: do not return! Really it is awful north of the Mason-Dixon line.

C-R nice pictures. Looks like a great set of trails to run on.

Henrun and BerthaSlayer congratulations on the races. Henrun for your first in over a year. BerthaSlayer for your continued progress.

catwhoorg see note to StarrRuns. Unplug the TM and then just tell everyone it is broken. 

A bit over a week ago they postponed the 4 mile race that was supposed to take place last Sunday. Of course, last Sunday was sunny and nice out. Instead they held the race today. It is cold, damp, windy and miserable! Still, I went. My first run in a week. Ankle seems fine. Resting, as usual, works. I just made it to the start because I forgot how to get to the parking lot entrance.  I literally hopped out of my car. Dashed to the start and the gun went off. I finished in just over a 7 minute mile pace. Good enough for 3rd in the AG55-59. They had timing issues, however. Took over an hour to get the results up and hand out the trophies. The RD was totally uncommunicative.  She should have told people there would be a delay and that it might be better to return in 45 minutes or whatever. Or, better yet, offer to let people pick up the trophies where they held early packet pickup, during the week and after they straightened out the timing mess. One poor girl was handed a 3rd place trophy and then 5 minutes later had to give it back. What a mess! A freezing cold, in the damp wind mess!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Evanflein, I can’t imagine you being flat, fluffy or lazy! 

Fat, Jay, fat. Not flat.  And yeah, it may all be relative, but the struggle is real. And waiting for it to warm up a bit and be light out is why I run later in the day all the time. Oh, and the shoes I said are hard in the cold are new, so it can't be that they've lost their cushion. It's just the kind of composite used in the outsole (is that the term?) that gets hard in colder temps. I wore them in Phoenix and they felt completely different. Yesterday I wore my softer New Balance and they felt much better.

Catwhoorg, that's a lot of miles on that treadmill! I figure mine is close to that, but don't think there's a way to check. I've got someone coming out to replace the drive belt on it, and I'll ask him if there's an overall odometer anywhere. Treadmills serve a very real need and function when weather, conditions or general life requirements get in the way of an outdoor run.

Lori, good job on the half marathon! Not every race can or needs to be a PR.

Hey RunnerKSA, should have had you go check on Aamos while you were there in the Ft. Meyers area.

Cool pictures of your son, Starr. Looks like he'd be kind of warm in that outfit, but he looks pretty fresh at the end. And great picture, Doug!

C-R, have fun in Germany! We loved all our visits there (Frankfurt, Berlin, Munich) and did some running in Berlin, but never found trails like that. I think I would've spent hours on those trails if I found them!

Twocat, that's ridiculous. We had a half marathon like that, although the weather was nice. But we all waited around for over an hour for the awards. I gave up and left before they figured it out and finished.

Today I think I'll run along the road. Not the most ideal situation, but it's mostly dry and clear of ice and hardpack and the traffic shouldn't be too bad today. I'd like to run 10-11 miles today for my "long run" and get me to almost 40 miles, but not quite, for the week. I'm thinking of dropping my annual goal down to 2,000 since I'm finishing up another month of sub-100 miles. I'm currently 170 miles behind the pace bunny, and figure I'll just hurt myself trying to catch up.

pfriese

Afternoon all,

I ran the A2A Half Marathon in southern Oklahoma this morning. I'm currently in marathon training, so not a goal race. Beautiful weather and I had a really good day. Finished with a 1:49:39 which was good for 3AG in the old guy division. I saw way5com (Tim Vandagriff from the old CR forum) at the finish & visited with him for a bit.

Paul

Mta: Berthaslayer sounds like you had a good race, too.

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow - Nice racing for BerthaS, Henry, Twocat, and Pfriese!

Twocat and Erika - one good thing about how slow I am running these days is that I can just leave immediately after a race and go home...

Jay - Good thinking to wait until the ice melts.

C-R - Great pictures!  Is jetlag a problem?

Roch - great picture of you!

Catwhoorg - I first got a TM when my DD was a few months old, so I could run in the garage and still be near.  Now, although she's 14, the TM is still a good investment, since I can run before work in the winter, run DD to school, then hop back on for a few more minutes before time to get ready.  I don't know how to check mileage, though.

The first part of my run today was in windy mizzle, and while it was 57 degrees, it felt colder because of the damp and wind.  I got back to my house just ahead of the serious rain, put on a dry shirt, and hopped on the TM for 5 more miles to finish my run.

19 miles total

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Great racing everybody!  I wonder how Tribee did.

I did an easy 6 miles, today.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

Mariposai

Great racing everybody!  I wonder how Tribee did.

I was wondering the same.

Great racing to our Intrepid Racers this weekend!!!

Rochrunner, nice picture of you. You look good in blue .

The Easy Pacer invited me for a run this afternoon, who am I to say no to a running date. 5 miles in 53 minutes. Legs felt tired after the 20 miler yesterday, but all is good. A total rest day tomorrow.

Off to see King Kong and enjoy some movie popcorn with lots of butter .

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Nancy - I wee you are running the marathon in Ireland with Twocat - what an awesome adventure!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."