Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 7.25.17 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday’s workouts:
    Tramps (morning exercises & core work)
    Jlynne (6.2 morning mile is good weather)
    RunnerKSA (5.1 NE PA. post-rain miles with deer)
    Tet (GS cross-training)
    BTY (gym work with sore hands)
    Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical)
    Mike (8.7 miles, including 8 X 600s with 400 recoveries, pacing at 2:15-2:24)

Sounds like a great, active trip, Tramps, except for the gun shots, horn honks and rants.

Congrats to you and DH on the 2nd place in the golf tournament, Jlynne. I’ll look for “The Long Haul.”

Glad you are enjoying PA, RunnerKSA.

Tet, it sounds like GS would wear anyone out. You’ve got good stamina.

Hand-splitting wood is a heck of a workout, BTY. No wonder you’re sore!

How do you like your NB Fresh Foam, Evanflein? I liked the pair I had, except that they wore out too quickly.

Good for you for getting some needed rest, Holly. Sounds like a great trip to CO coming up.

Sorry about the shortage of runners for Reach The Beach, Twocat. Is anyone here interested in joining Twocat’s fabulous Reach The Beach relay team for a 2-day adventure in mid-Sept. from the White Mountains of NH to the coast?

Excellent intervals, Mike!

Good twofer workout on Sunday, Cat!

For anyone interested in our Seacoast Half (Nov 12, Portsmouth, NH), the entry fee goes up $10 to $75 on Aug 1. Just sayin...  http://seacoasthalfmarathon.com/

I went 6.2 RW fartlek miles this morning in 57° temps with a good breeze and high (97%) humidity. Even with the cool temps, the high humidity made the workout tough. But I still managed some decent pacing in the quicker miles. I'm disappointed that I already need a headlamp when heading out at J o'clock, even though it it light enough by the time I get back.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  6.1 miles in cooler (63 degrees) PA.  Head back to TN this afternoon.   Going to visit Rockenmomof5 (Pam) on my way down to the Philly airport.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

77F

3.01 miles

Carol, Jane, Ralph, and I ran around Skipwith this morning. Carol and Jane ran on and Ralph and I went in to the rec center and did a little stretching before he showered and went to work and I showered and went to 0700 mass.

Twocat, you have a jillion more former students than I do. Also, my former student  would run the Swamp Run 5K for which I used to RD.

After considering what I had said about him being an amateur, I looked him up to find that he went pro a few years back.

I haven't figured out how to copy and paste on this Chromebook.  I wanted to share an obituary with you. Michael Joseph "Joe" Harney. Hampton, VA. But definitely a Boston man. Anyway, Joe always came up to Williamsburg and helped with the finish line at the CRR races, including the Swamp Run.  He was a joy to know. But. His obituary is classic Joe. You should read it. Just find him on Legacy.

All right. I have procrastinated long enough. I must pack for our journey.

Be well.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

TammyinGP

Hi Everyone!

No way could I catch up after being gone close to a week, but wanted to pop in and say hello. 

Had a nice visit with family with MN and got in some running all but one day while I was there. A total of 18.7 miles.  We were staying in a small rural town in MN and not a whole lot of places to run to right from our hotel, but did enjoy running through some old neighborhoods that I spent time in as a kid. My paternal grandmother's home still looks the same so I ran by that a couple mornings, which is right down the road from the cemetery where I have quite a few family members buried, so ran around the cemetery a few mornings too. 
          David brought his tennis racquets, so a couple mornings after my run we went and played tennis too at the HS courts which were right across the street from where we stayed. 

Nice to be back home and into my routine and looking forward to DH's homecooked dinner tonight. I'm so done with eating out all the time.

Tammy

Henrun

Ran 6 miles in a drizzle/mizzle cool morning (50's)-sun coming out later. My longest run in over a year. Then met Marj and GD2 who were having lunch downtown after their muddy archeological dig at the Paul Revere house. Now home to rest until I attend a poetry gathering this evening.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Got my 5 done at lunchtime. Hoping to dodge storms again this evening and get a ride in.

"just" 47.5 behind my riding pace bunny, I want to nudge ahead of it.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

BTY

Good afternoon all.

I went out at lunchtime to try for a 4.5 to 5 mile run (plus a walk warm up and cool down for a total of 5.5 to 6).  I was quite disappointed but maybe I shouldn't have been.  I wanted to adjust my pace down a bit since when I reviewed Friday's 5-miler, it seemed like 9:00 to 9:15 was more of an easy running pace than a long run pace, and I think I need to start considering 5 miles a long run again.  So I aimed for 9:30 - 10:00 pace.  I kept reminding myself that the first 1/2 mile of a run is always the worst part, but after 3/4 of a mile I just felt like things were getting more clunky than smoother.  The first drops of rain that I felt just after that were enough to turn me around.  I finished the  ~1.5 miles and then walked back into the building thinking it had hardly been worth the effort of getting dressed for running and having to take a shower before going back to work.  But tomorrow I have an appointment at my chiropractor's in the morning, and I think this lousy run was just confirmation that it's time to go back in and get things aligned.

Tomorrow will be better.

Brian

evanflein

Brian, some runs are like that. I know exactly what you mean about feeling clunky out there. For every sucky run, there's bound to be a good one just waiting to happen. Hope it gets better!

Jay, the Fresh Foam shoes will have to wait. Yesterday turned out to be a rest day.

Happy travels, Barb/RCG! I sure hope you guys have good weather. Forecast for Saturday looks good, but Friday and Sunday don't look so great and this far out, anything can happen.

What a crummy day we had yesterday! Cool, windy, rainy, just bleh. Good day to hibernate. Today is still cloudy but the sun is trying to peek through and it's not raining (so far). Will head out later for 5'ish miles. Legs still kind of sore from Sunday.

pfriese

We rode 88.5 miles from Radium Kansas to Plainville Kansas today. Weather was good again today with a pretty strong wind at our backs.

Paul

Spent the day trying to decipher how the BLS organizes categories for the CPI you hear about each month telling you what the inflation rate is. My run this morning was less taxing and to think that was an interval workout! Managed 5x1000m intervals at a pretty good pace for me.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Tammy - sounds like a lovely trip!

Paul - that is some serious riding you are doing!

This morning was in the low 60's with very little humidity and it felt perfect.  I  ran 6.1 miles with 6 x 400m intervals with 200m recoveries, abysmally slow, but still, it's a start....

Worked 10.5 hours yesterday and 11 today, banking some hours so I can work a half day Friday.  Looking forward to getting away for a week....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Holly, nice to know that you are taking a week off. Where to now? Enjoy your vacation.

Paul, and Tramps nice biking lately.

Well, this was a long, but well spent day. I spent two precious hours of my day attending a meeting at the County Commissioners hearing room. Great meeting, but very taxing to say the least.

This was a lovely morning for my 9 miler run today. Great weather, nice company. Yeap, call me lucky posie.

Great interval workouts today!!!!! Way to go Masters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

BTY in case the tequila and lime does not work out I find scotch neat (ratio 100:0) works wonders.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

catwhoorg

Labrat

Got my ride in this afternoon.

16 miles in the heat, definitely slower than normal though.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy travels, Barb/RCG! I sure hope you guys have good weather. Forecast for Saturday looks good, but Friday and Sunday don't look so great and this far out, anything can happen.

Yeah, I hope so too.

However, "good weather" has a different definition up there.

Pretty much if it isn't strong or gale force winds, it's "good."

My classmate's dad had the easiest job in the world in those days:

weather forecaster. "Partly cloudy with a chance of a few

scattered showers" was his everyday mantra on the morning radio..
                                Howevver, even if you need a tourist poncho like holly got

for the rainy Portland Marathon, don't let it stop you from the hour

to hour-and-a-half hike on any of a dozen local trails to the timberlines

and beyond to the alpines, . . . or  four minute tram ride up one of 'em.

Day 32 sine rain on the rain belt side of the PNW

with at least ten more expected.

Record is 51 days in 1951 or something.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)