Masters Running

Mother's Day Daily, 5.14.17 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone, and especially our devoted and hard-working moms.

Saturday’s scintillating workouts:

Tomwhite (40 min poolRun with stuff, plus 60 single leg squats)

RunnerKSA (3.2 breezy miles)

Pfriese (8 EZ ‘round town miles)

Tammy (11.25 miles in the Tough As nails 10-mile trail race with serious hillage)

Holly (5.4 miles in 41° temps)

Stumpy (“plodding” Maine Seacoast Half)

Fatozzig (45 min of core/St work, then 3 hrs of yard work cross-training)

Wildchild (11.6 slow trail miles on a gorgeous day)

BerthaSlayer (tough 12 miles)

Evanflein (7.3 miles + gardening cross-training)

StarrRuns (3 trail miles, with geese avoidance)

You sure ask a lot of questions, Tet!

Nice job (6th place, AG) on a tough, long [newly-mismeasured) course, Tammy.

Congrats to DD on taking good advantage of being moved up to midfielder, Holly. It’ll be interesting to see how she does in the summer league.

Good call to skip the marathon today, Spinach.

I'm glad you made 2 of your 3 goals at Shipyard, Stumpy. You'll get that '2' next time, when you're healthy.

I am confident you’ll come up with a good replacement plan for today, Marj. Sorry about the washout.

Welcome home, Evanflein. Pace yourself in the garden, as well as on the trails.

I hope you got some sleep, StarrRuns, and that Mr. Starr is cooking for you today.

We postponed (till, hopefully, next Sunday) today’s race walking races because of the forecasted heavy rains and high winds. I heard back from some of the entrants who said they were glad they didn’t have to race today.

I went 6.5 miles on the HS track yesterday morning - 5 on my own, and the rest with a race walker I’m trying to help out. There were some young girls playing lacrosse on the infield, and it was fun to watch them as we circled their game. Lots 'o rain this morning, as expected, so I spent the time reading instead of incurring Twocat's wrath for a major rule infraction.

Have a greta Mother's Day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

pfriese

Good morning & Happy Mothers Day!

Thanks for the daily thread start & recap coastwalker.  I just finished a nice 9.8 mile run around town, it's going to be a pretty day here. I think there may be some front porch sitting with DW this afternoon and then this evening we will have her mother over & I'll fix a nice cheese souffle for supper along with a chocolate souffle for dessert.

Have a great day, all

Paul

Mariposai

Happy mother's day to all the mothers in this forum!

Paul, what a delicious menu for today! How is post marathon recovery coming along?

Jay, wise move in canceling the race. Enjoy your rest day today and good move to not brake the "no running in the rain rule".

Gorgeous day here today. I am planning to go for a short recovery run today. My 20 miler yesterday afternoon with 7 miles at MP felt OK. One last push for higher miles this coming week before taper time.

The Easy Pacer will be cooking Twocat's BBQ ribs  recipe for me today. I am looking forward to a relaxing afternoon playing in the garden  and eating good food Smile.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

3 hours and one minute! 16.5 miles. Took a 1 minute walk every mile and tried to run very easily. My running pace got faster in the later miles. Someday I'll understand that when you are running for time and not distance, it doesn't end sooner if you go faster! HumaGel and Diet Pepsi at 1:09 and another Huma at 2:01. The walking breaks worked! Duh. I'm tired but not trashed. First hour was the hardest mentally. 57-72 degrees and sunny. Got warm.   Maybe I can actually survive this marathon in a month!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

catwhoorg

Labrat

6x1200 VO2max intervals, 11 and change all told with warmup and cool down

Community pool is open, so a few laps later, though probably only a few as I haven't swum all winter.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Mother's Day!

Beautiful day here with brilliant sunshine and 80 degrees right now.

18 miles for me today in 60-77 degrees.  I melted a bit at the end, which became more of a walk/run.  Time to begin getting up earlier on LR days.

While I was out running, DS cleaned the bathroom and living room and did the dishes.  He said, "I thought you would like that better than a card."  Too right - best Mother's Day present ever!

Tomorrow morning I am heading to Clearwater, FL for 3 days for a VA benefits conference with my boss.  Actually he went down early with his wife to enjoy a few days before the conference.  Unfortunately, the conference will take most of the time (they even have evening "chat sessions"), so I will have little time to enjoy being in Florida, except maybe a couple of early morning runs along the beach.

Mariposai - you look to be in great shape for this marathon!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

RunnerKSA, I am intrigued with your training plan. Hours on your feet, not miles.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

...Nice Running today.......

==============

88-degrees no wind

40-min Athletic Fields with HandWeights

still easing back into it

(taking Claire

to GrandCanyon next month)...........ohboyohboy

...............good running to ya.......Hydrate

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai -  I don't quite have a training plan.  I've been a runner for 40 years, and the PR days are wll behind me.  At this point (turning 65 this year), I just want to get through the couple of marathons to which I've committed this year without hating it too much.  I have a demanding job and don't really like the long runs by myself.   I've had good coaching in the past and some fast times in my day, but I think the risk  of injury to older runners of running more than about 3 hours outweighs the benefits.  It will make the marathon more painful, of course, but at least I have a better chance of getting to the starting line.      That said, a lot of training plans go by time instead of mileage.  It helps keep the obsession with pace down a little bit, too.    My daughter's coach does everything by time- including her own ultra training.

I tend to get mileage and pace obsessed, so today was a nice reminder how pleasant it can be to just go for the time on your feet.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

spacityrunner

4.1 oh to warm and hilly miles...slow, but faster than I thought I would be.  This was after a 4.5 mile hike this morning.  Pass the jelly, I am toast!

Trails Rock!

wildchild

Carolyn

RunnerKSA, what marathons are you training for?  And Posie, how about you?

I finally managed a decent 20 miler today - it was a perfect day, sunny and cool, and I met a couple girlfriends for a short (6 mile) loop this morning.  Then after they headed home, I went back out for another longer lap, up to the top of Bergen Peak (9,750 ft) and back.  Lots of walking on the way up, but that's okay, I'm training for a mountain 50k in about another month.

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Yes, happy Mother's Day! I had a pretty good day today, even if it wasn't very warm (mid-50's). DH rototilled my garden this morning and supported me on my 15 mile run this afternoon. I'll start planting next weekend. The run was ok, but I had a lot of gut pain issues, like gas pains. Bleh, TMI I know, sorry. But they can just stop you in your tracks at times. And my mom called! So I stopped and had a nice chat with her. Hey, it's Mother's Day, right?

Starr, I didn't do the Murphy Dome Roam. Not sure if you saw it when you were here, it's a bit northeast of Ester Dome. Back in the 40's and 50's the feds took over all these high hills around Fairbanks and there are satellite tracking stations, microwave dishes and all kinds of other sekrit stuff up on these Domes. Pedro Dome has some awesome blueberries... well they all do, really, but that one is quite a drive NE of us. Anyhow... Murphy Dome Roam is this crazy 11 mile local race, no entry fee (just bring potluck food for afterwards) and stopwatch timing. You can go either direction on the loop: a steep almost 4 mile climb with a 7 mile descent, or the 7 mile steady not-so-steep climb and a 4 mile steep descent. I've only done it once, but it's a fun race. Most people do the short climb first route. I just didn't feel like I was in any kind of hill condition to tackle it without either getting injured or just having a long painful recovery. So I skipped it once again. One of these years!

Jay, you are so right on needing to pace yourself with this garden/yard work stuff. A few years ago I could go at it for hours on end and only be mildly stiff afterwards. These days, I need to limit myself to no more than 2 hours or I'm just about crippled and worthless. All that bending, stooping, standing up, etc is like repetitive deadlifts and the glutes and back are screaming at me after awhile. I'll get it done, just going to spread it out over a few weeks/weekends. I used to do it all on Memorial Day weekend and be done by Monday afternoon at the latest. Ha, not any more, that's for sure.

Happy mother's day to all of the mothers here at RA!

RunnerKSA I got the car! Now I just have to make sure I can find the places you mentioned so I can run in them!

Today was my last MP long run, 18 miles with 11 at (hoped for!) MP. Now to start ramping down!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

4 easy and warm miles.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Building on just missing RA meetups, TwoCat and I overlap in Nashville for the next three days and my free night doesn't overlap with his.  It will be his kind of weather, though--hi 80's for the next few days.  I plan on a TM run (if any).  No where near acclimated (or do I really want to be).

I'm very proud of our Admin who finished her first marathon today in miserable weather.  50's, steady rain, and a headwind the whole way.  And she ended up with a 4:26.  She had ambitions of getting a BQ, but stayed realistic when the weather turned bad.  Got an email from her and she was very happy to have it over.  She was also very smart and took tomorrow off

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.