coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday:

Tramps - office-cleaning cross-training

bioguy - 3.5 H&H beach house miles, keeping heart rate under control

tomwhite - 40 min pool run w/ shoes, no belt

Henrun - EZ 2 mi. run/walk with Marj spritzing

Pfriese - Early, heat-beating 7 miles

RunnerKSA - 8.6 miles on the path in "brutal weather" with some walking breaks

Mike - Racing with a 17 year-old granddaughter (8K for Mike, 5K for the GD). Good stuff

Rochrunner - 5.5 mile walk with a few friends, with some running thrown in

Dave59 - 4 morning condo loops for 1.17 miles

Holly - 45 min of weights & core

Jlynne - 45 morning min on the elliptical + weights & core.

Falconfixer - 6 pre-Mass morning miles

Surly Bill - 4 afternoon miles at 7:56 pace

Tammy - 9 morning miles

Yes, KSA, you need to follow in the rest of your family's traveling footsteps. And your friend, Dallas Smith, is amazing!

Great that you got to race and hang out with a grand daughter, Mike.

So sorry about the foot and thumb issues, Holly. I hope you can get answers/relief.

Congrats on the successful mower repair/rebuild, BTY.

Scary story about DS2 at the campgrounds, Jlynne. I'm glad everyone is OK.

Joe, congrats to you for making the attempt in those conditions, and for knowing when to call it a day.

Glad you had a good dinner with DD and her BF, Holly.

Great work on the Les Miz sets, Surly Bill! I can't imagine anyone doing any better.

Good luck to David in his tennis tournament, Tammy.

I went 8.3 RW miles this morning in 79° temps and 70° dew point. My legs were tired almost from the beginning, so it was a slog - a paper bag workout if there ever was one. I went up the coast and back, and the only saving grace on the weather front was the bit 'o headwind that I enjoyed on the way back. I have some yard work to do today, and will make some potato salad with a Dijon vinaigrette. And there is a nap in my future.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Thanks Jay. Tough start there.

BTY--I totally get the DIY sense of satisfaction from doing that project. (My Deere is 10 years old and still chugging away fine.)

Surly--Wow, that's an impressive production. Serious stuff there. What's the company?

25 miles on the bike this morning. A tad H&H. My glasses kept steaming up, which is kind of a problem riding a bike.

ETA: speaking of heat, the Times has a terrific interactive feature showing how temps have changed--an will change--in your hometown since you were born.

Be safe. Be kind.

Henrun

Joe-good decision

Surly-very impressive set.

After a set of early morning stretches did a bagel 1.5 mile walk with Marj in slightly less humidity and 81 sunny degrees. After breakfast and a short nap did about 20 minutes of indoor cycling and weights. Will probably do several more short walks today as the temp soars.

Keep cool😎.

Thanks, Jay.  I was thinking about you this morning while I was running and contemplating your walking paces!  As I get slower and slower....

4.3 miles done.  Legs were tired and we might have some rain moving in.  I hope Ken gets back from his bike ride before it hits.  It doesn't cool things off.  It just makes it more steamy.

Dallas Smith-  he is a retired engineering professor (Tennessee Tech) and a Virginia Tech grad.  He has written some excellent books about his adventures in running and life which are worth a read. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bench-Despair-Dallas-Smith/dp/1935993801/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Dallas+SMith+running&qid=1563717862&s=gateway&sr=8-1

First book is Going Down Slow.     Both are great.      Interestingly, we have TWO runner Dallas Smiths here.  This is the elder (and as the younger reminds us-  the faster).  Both are involved with The Monkey and give a lot to the running community.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

mrrun

Falconfixer - If anyone is following the Tour, today's stage was pretty epic.  In the Pyrenees Mountains and today's stage was a summit finish at Tourmalet.  The speeds those guys hit going UP the mountains is ridiculous.  Yes Im a Tour groupie.  trying to make a lemon cake and following the finish on my computer bouncing between BBS & Tour website.  Looks like a changing of the guard after this year - not sure if Thomas can win again.

Henry described walk this morn and more to follow.  Having family stay over this week for 2 nights and dinner for 10 on one night, so trying to organize a little during the hot spell.

Surly - cool set

Jay - coast is a great place to walk in this weather

KSA - Dallas Smith story sounds like the local Johnny Kelly story

stay cool and safe!

marj

ETA: speaking of heat, the Times has a terrific interactive feature showing how temps have changed--an will change--in your hometown since you were born.

I clicked on the link but couldn't get the entire story, just the headline. Is this in today's paper?

Thanks for the start and recap Jay. I hope the weather clearing out of here isn't headed your way. Enjoy that nap!

Wow SB - that production looks amazing. I really liked the PBS mini series that just ended a few weeks ago. I decided I wanted to read the book - until I saw how many pages it was! I checked it out from our local library and renewed it twice. Just couldn't get to the end.

How are you feeling today Joe?

Hi Marj and Henry! Save a piece of lemon cake for me.

Went to 7:30 mass and decided to do a short bike ride before DH and I play in a husband/wife golf tournament this afternoon. 5 miles in much better temps and humidity than the last couple of weeks.

Have a great Sunday folks!

dnaff

Not quite 4 miles for me this morning.  The heat is gone!!!!  We are down 30 degrees but still some humidity.  I ran into a dear friend I don't see often enough.  He and his grandsons (ages 7 and 4) were at one of the overlooks along the river waiting for trains to come by.   It is a great spot to view them and a freight train comes thru every 20 minutes or so.  I stayed and watched with them.  We got the engineer to wave but sadly there was no caboose.  The boys were thrilled though and it made me smile the rest of my run.

Marathon Maniac #957

I ran into a dear friend I don't see often enough.  He and his grandsons (ages 7 and 4) were at one of the overlooks along the river waiting for trains to come by.   It is a great spot to view them and a freight train comes thru every 20 minutes or so. 

When I was a kid, I used to stand on the overpass that went over the tracks near my house and watch the trains, so loud as they came, and from my perch it felt like they were going to run me over.

30 minutes on the bike-to-nowhere, followed by about 30 minutes of weights and core.   I may go and swim at the Y this afternoon.  We shall see.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

https://www.runnersworld.com/races-places/a27228860/vol-state-ultra-monday-motivation/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social-media&utm_campaign=socialflowTWRW

This is a good depiction of Vol State by one of last year's runners - first female.    Runners  have gotten dog bites, creepy people in vehicles during the night, etc.

mrrun

I clicked on the link but couldn't get the entire story, just the headline. Is this in today's paper?

jlynne - worked for me, but we have a subscription - not sure if that makes a difference & cake is in the freezer.  Tuesday's dinner is brisket, pulled chicken and salmon plus several salads - feel free to come!

pfriese

Up & out very early early this morning to drive to Mt Scott for my long run today. The plan was a triple ascent with running up the 1st time, power hiking & running up the 2nd time, and powerhiking the 3rd ascent. Of course I ran down all 3 descents. Smile

I made it to the base at 6am and was at the top to catch the sunrise at 6:26.

sunrise

It was 74 degrees & humid when I started and 84 & even more humid when I finished. It was a successful day with 17 total miles.

Paul

Mta: I met both Dallas Smiths at my 1st Monkey. Both are as you describe. RunnerKSA (Karen), I also met you (& Ken on bike) when you passed me going up "not a hill". at my 1st Monkey.

Dave59

Rest day for me. Things will start to cool off tomorrow.  Should be a good time to run.

Jlynne - That was a wild storm, I had friends in Michigan hit with something very similar.

Joe - Probably a good idea not trying to last 8 hours in that heat. I couldn't even run a 5k in that kind of temps.

KSA - I don't know if we should celebrate or encourage people who do things like running across Tennessee. It sounds like they need counseling or therapy to me. 

The article says my hometown of Buffalo, NY had 3 90 degree days when I was born and averages 4 now. Then it launched into worst case numbers based on computer models that says they'll have 7-29 90 degree days by the end of the century. I am not a climate change skeptic, but I do have reservations of computer models claiming to know the future 81 years from now.  There is no way to account for all that could happen in that time.

I certainly remember you, Paul!      Good point, Dave.

spacityrunner

4.6 miles walking on Hot Springs Mountain with the gulpha gorge gang this morning.  It was hot.  Looking forward to the cooler air heading our way tomorrow.  Our running club had their summer social last night.  I didn't get home till 8:30   A good time was had by all.

Trails Rock!

Joe618

Greetings all, good afternoon to all. 

SurlyBill, those are TERRIFIC sets!  Look exceedingly professional, which they are with all the time you've put in.  The Cart of Logs is very cool. 

KSA, I did not see Norm ( C-R ) yesterday, though I had hoped to.   The total registration was up by 20%, and a great vibe to the day, despite the heat.   And thanks to the links on Vol State.   I was doing planning in my head about that race last night.   In a way, it's like a non-desert version of Badwater.   Only longer. 

Paul, I always enjoy your photos from Mt. Scott.   Very cool sunrise.   And super prep there for your PPA. 

Older runners...at our church this morning, we welcomed back a retired minister, now 91 years old, to speak this morning.   He's been associated with our church for many years.   I talked with him before we got started.   I knew he was just back from the USA Senior Olympics in Albuquerque a few weeks ago.   When I asked him about it, he lit up.  He placed 4th out of 15 in the 100m and 5th of 16 in the javelin.  What was funny was his comments on age groups.   "I am so glad to be in the 90-99 year old group now...I just couldn't keep up with those 85-89 year olds any more!!" he said with a fun glint in his eye.   We talked more about the javelin...he had watched the 50-54 year group complete-- "Those guys could really sling it!"  and he then quipped "In our 90+ group, folks were less concerned about how far we'd throw it!".   So cool...hope I can be like him.   He gave a great sermon on "Principles of Aging" with lots of deep insight captured within a humble and clever wit about aging.

After the truncated race yesterday, I was anxious to get "back in the saddle".   Got out early this morning for an easy three mile "shake out" run.  Felt good to just run.   My left-foot-big-toe blister was OK...I had it taped up and thus it was OK.  I did find a previously unnoticed deep scratch on my left ankle where some small rocks had obviously flipped from the gravel rail-trail inside my sock yesterday.   The heat was so bad, I didn't even notice yesterday.   Those divots will clear up soon.

Thunder outside now...temps in the upper 60s tomorrow morning.   Nice.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.