Masters Running

Sunday 25 March Madness 2018 (Read 36 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

If Jay starts when I start then move to Jay's thread.

Yesterday Ralph and I ran 3 miles. Well.  I ran 3 miles slowly. Ralph felt sorry for Leon and so they stopped a few times to sniff and unload.

Erika. Yes. Get that checked out.

Mariposai.  Yes. So glad you are on your way back.

Holly. Wow. I didn't know the extent of the hoarding problem. Wow. However. It makes me feel a little more sane since I spent Friday afternoon purging my closet and taking two big bags to FISH.

TO ALL YOU WITH HIP ISSUES.  My story.  I had been having pain in my right side for years. I thought it was my right ovary but I do not have a right ovary. In December 2014, my PCP said, "I don't know what's going on. Let's have you go get a colonoscopy."

So. That was a big pain in the...  I have a tortuous colon. Dr Rakhra found a little polyp. All in all no biggie. Butt. The pain in the right side would occasionally flare.  I thought it was all in my head.

2015 was my best running year. Although by the end of 2015, I could not even sleep on my right side. Also. My feet hurt very badly. And my right knee started to hurt on the fibula side.

Went back to PCP in early 2016 and complained of my right side. He said, "There aren't any organs where you are complaining"  I said, "Should I go to PT and see if that helps?"  And he said "YES"

A few months into PT, and A LOT of pain to the point where I could barely walk let alone run. I asked my PT,  "Could this be a labral tear?" and she said "No way."

Then I went to the spine doctor who sent me to his hip doctor partner because the issue was not spine.

Bottom line:  I had a tear in my right hip labrum.  It was practically in shreds. Hip doctor did arthroscopic surgery repairing the labrum, shaving the bone spurs and attaching the labrum to the acetabulum.

All of this took its toll on me. Going from running 30 mpw to nothing. And getting a tick borne disease that summer... well, I ended up in therapy. Psychological therapy.

SO that was really good.  I am so glad 2016 is behind me.  2017 is a blur but I spent it with no therapy anywhere and I feel stable.

My point here is:  Get things checked out.  Take care of things. Whether they be physical or emotional or whatever.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

...Welcome to 2018 rosie//.............you get a Do-Over........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

coastwalker

Mornin' RCG, Tomwhite, and everyone to come.

Saturday's workouts:

Henrun (2 morning miles in low 40's)

Tomwhite (40 min PoolRun, nb, cf, ris, paw)

RunnerKSA (8.3 path miles, slow and steady, with a Dunkin cooldown)

Falconfixer ('nother impromptu race - half marathon n 1:35:?? - 6th overall)

Tet (2 mile round-tripper to the bus to the closed pool)

Dave59 (3.29 morning miles - 5 loops around a golden pond)

Spacityrunner (5.2 Rock Creek Parkway miles in 1 hr in sunny, 50's temps)

Mariposai (6 miles on the OIB course with snow - knee did well)

Holly (14.6 miles in windy 33° temps)

Pfriese (16.5 miles - last long run before Boston)

Mike (16 miles in about 7:17 pace)

Wildchild (morning 10K with CMRA on paved paths - 1:10; 4th AG)

Stumpy (3.1 lake loop miles)

Surly Bill (7.5 afternoon miles - hip is getting better)

Twocat (10 miles, DW did 4)

Evanflein (1 hr. snow shoveling cross-training)

What an ordeal, RCG! Yes, it does pay to get things checked out, but I think most of us (OK - me) try to self-diagnose and treat before going on to the next step for consulting someone who might actually know something about the issue bedeviling us. The tricky part is deciding when to make that call.

Excellent racing by Falconfixer and Wildchild, and terrific long runs by Holly, Pfriese, and Mike. And congrats to everyone else for getting out there, whatever you did for your workouts.

We went to see The Moth last night - 5 'regular' people telling true stories from their lives. Some funny, some sad, and one terrifying (by a female reporter who was held, 'questioned,' jailed, and then released in Syria a few years back). It was a very interesting and entertaining evening.

We didn't get home till 11:30 last night, so I slept in a bit this morning, but was still out the door before 6 for 7.6 EZ RW miles in 32° temps with a fresh dusting of snow. My hip is still not where I need it to be yet, so I'm doing more roller, ball, and TENS work to help it along.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

bioguy

Hi all

Just finished 16 miles at a 10:30 pace. 16 is as far as you go on the Hanson's plan. I ran 8.5 yesterday, 8 on Friday, and 9.5 on Thursday, so the cumulative miles are beginning to add up. 57 miles in all in teh last 7 days whihc is more than I've done in ages. WE'll see how it plays out in about a month when my race hits.

Time to shower and frantically house clean. My youngest (who just finished medical school; proud dad moment) is coming over to spwnd the night. She is headed to the Medical College of Wisconsin to begin her residency in Ob/Gyn.

Tailwinds!

Congratulations, bioguy!  That's great for your daughter.

Nice racing yesterday wilchild and falconfixer!

We have sad news here in Nashville.  Peter Pressman, the fixture of Nashville running and the President of Nashville Striders, died of an apparent heart attack this morning before the organized group training run.  I am assuming he was at the run.  He was 72 and in seemingly perfect health.  He did so much for our community and was a dear friend to many of us.  It can just happen so fast.......

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, finally slipped out of the apartment a bit after 1000.  Was trying to let the last of the drizzle clear, plus it's Sunday so I had time.  Got in 8.75 at an 8:40 pace.  Will head out to run some errands shortly (which will include some walking at the base).

Be back later.  Have a great day everyone!

Got out for a slow 3.1 to finish up the week.  Gloomy day, but no rain or snow!  Almost time for more basketball.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Classes resume on Monday.  Looking at my calendar I will be running around tomorrow like a maniac. One of my many appointments is with the surgeon that burned off part of my tongue (well it was that or die from cancer). This will be my second post surgery checkup. I do not have any reason to believe he will find anything. But, we will see.

We seem to be moving into late winter weather here in CT. Yes, it is spring but not temperature wise! I went out this morning to run 7 miles in just below freezing temperatures. DW went out a bit later with her friend and ran 8. Tomorrow I am back on the elliptical.

buehrle that is some story!

evanflein seeing how the healing process is going might be useful. My DW's BFF broke her foot. Months later he body only managed to get it to 50% healed. Things can take time and sometimes need a bit of extra prodding.

In case it slipped your mind, join the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club for this year's Reach the Beach Relay on September 14 and 15! We need you!!! We are not looking for speed. Just a group to throw a 30 hour party with in a couple of vans. So join today! Just send me a message via the RA messaging system and I will get back to you. If you have my regular email or prefer sending a Facebook personal message that is fine too. I can guarantee you will have a great time or your, or your, or your clearly in need of psychiatric help!  Remember the sooner you sign up the less you pay!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

So many great runs this weekend!!

KSA - so very sorry to hear about your running friend's passing ... 72 is too young!!

No news yet on my friend's husband --- this is so weird as is that wife who disappeared and then left word about the van 2 years later!!

Up early for 7:30 Palm Sunday mass, then hit the gym for 1.0 warm up mile on the treadmill, Body Pump, 2.2 miles on the treadmill plus a little more core/ab work. Just came home from a bridal shower brunch for a good friend's daughter. Now I need to spend a little time with the hubby!!

Haven't seen much of him this weekend since I worked yesterday and he went to the Cape so help out his mom!!

denise

...sorry to hear about Mr Pressman

https://www.tennessean.com/story/life/2018/03/25/peter-pressman-father-nashvilles-running-community-dies-age-72/456869002/

==============

mild temps here

..............55-min HH 3-4s

.............working around Choir singing Wed-Thurs-Fri-Sun this week for Holy Week

to help me

get in the mood Pickles is dragging my butt out for yardwork tomorrow............meh.............

.............Good Running to Ya..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

My youngest (who just finished medical school; proud dad moment) is coming over to spwnd the night. She is headed to the Medical College of Wisconsin to begin her residency in Ob/Gyn.

Awesome!

Since we are going on vacation next Saturday, we have been running around all weekend on pre-vacation errands.  Including the dreaded bathing suit shopping...is there anything more demoralizing to a middle-aged woman? 

8.2 miles for me in a windy 27 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

spacityrunner

3.8 miles along the Potomac on a cool and sunny Sunday.  I am so ready to put this DC trip behind me.  Hoping to have dinner with the wonderful RCG on Tuesday night.

Trails Rock!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Run - two miles back-and-forth to today’s sermon on,

of all things after yesterdays posts on the same, hoarding. (see below).

Cherry blossoms
                            Then, annual cherry blossom tour of the 30+ Yoshino cherry trees Kobe Sister City Park near the office and even more at the arboretum, Japanese gardens and UW Quad that I remember first from the UW Quad in 1962.  Most were brought over in 1912 along with the WDC ones. Used to be about a five mile one-way run with DW meeting me there with hot tea and o-nigiri sushi balls but it’s too far now for just plain running so’ve gotten to like the drive I used to avoid as much as possible.  Had a 10K route in Tokyo days with more than a thousand blossoming trees just as spectacular to me in every regard as the northern lights.  

Hoarding vs. Hoarding Disorder
                            After yesterday’s hoarding posts, it’s a good thing I looked it up ‘cause, by coincidence, it was the topic of today’s sermon. Turns out there’s nothing wrong with hoarding that jad gotten me feeling guilty of having trouble throwing out stuff even though it might have some future useful, sentimental, collectible, etc. value vs. Hoarding Disorder that is an often an uncontrollable, irrational, random and haphazard collecting of useless or unnecessary clutter that disrupts living or work spaces.  

Growing up a little southeast of erika-land where everything came on a weekly steamship, our depression-era parents never threw away anything that could be stored in otherwise empty space in the garage, attic or basement.  So there!  Besides, I’ve got everything so organized already in boxes in the double-length garage the we don't need all of anyway that the kids can easily junk, donate or keep whatever they want . . . <<<(ed note: or so he thinks)>>> when, as KSA’s friend’s sudden passing before an otherwise regular weekly run shows, we never know when we can’t.  

Beside how could I ever throw away the IMH t-shirt (1987),

Equinox (1991),

Mt Fuji (1987),

Mayor’s rare green one from 1978 that I usually wear in St. Pat’s races, ,........
                            Erika - do you keep any of your Equinox t’s?
                            Holly - do you still have yours?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

I took a day off from running but then I got restless so I went for a 3-mile walk up and back down the hill behind our condo. The Garmin said it was 325  feet elevation gain. It felt like more than a football field but I guess that is because it it was a mile of going uphill.

Congratulations to you and your daughter bioguy. That's quite an accomplishment.

If I am flipping channels and come across the hoarders or 600 pound life shows I will sometimes stop and watch for a few minutes. I feel kind of bad that people with mental disorders are entertainment.  I get a uncomfortable watching them.

Sure hope 2018 works out better for you buehrle.

Michigan made it to the final 4 in basketball and hockey. I'd like to see them win both.

My younger daughter graduated from Ferris State in Michigan. I was flipping channels yesterday and came across the NCAA Division II basketball championship game and Ferris State was playing. So I watched it to the end and Ferris State won in a thriller by 1 point. It was the first title in any sport for the school. It was fun to watch. I should get a free champion's hat as compensation for 4 years of school tuition plus room & board.

wildchild

Carolyn

Sorry about your friend, KSA.

Bioguy, congrats to your DD!  So you don't run farther than 18 miles on the Hanson's marathon plan?

Tet, you're so lucky to live where there are cherry blossoms!  When my DD was in grad school at UW, she said she never really saw the cherry blossoms on the quad, because she pretty much never left the physics building.  

I don't deserve any congrats for my race yesterday - I started out running slowly with a friend who has a sore knee, then stopped at a park restroom at mile 3, then caught up to another friend who took several walk breaks (and I walked with her).   It was quite leisurely and chatty - not a race at all, just a nice 6 mile run with friends.

Today I ran 6 trail miles in Golden Gate Canyon State Park.  There was some snow and mud, but the trails were 90% dry.  This makes the first 50 mile week for me since last September - ramping up the training!

So I looked at the elevation profile for the 50k Tammy and I are doing in Oregon in May. Here's a link: https://www.strava.com/activities/881232517

It goes around a large lake, and is pretty flat for 20 miles, then we get to climb a mountain and run back down in the last 10 miles. The climb is about 1,000 ft in 2 miles.  I'm totally good with hiking up and running down the mountain, but I almost never run 20 miles anywhere that's even remotely flat. The thing that worries me is that I usually take a lot of walk breaks on the steeper uphills, and I'm not sure I can run 20 miles without a walk break!  I guess I could drive down to the flatlands and find some flat trails to run, but I love mountain running, and that doesn't sound very appealing!  Any advice?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.