Masters Running

The dreaded Friday The 13th! (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Just a quickie again this morning. I have an all-day conference that starts at 8:30; they want us to try to get there early; and it is half an hour away.

I slept very poorly last night (probably because DW is away), and so got up early and headed out for 5.2 RW miles in 50F temps under cloudy skies (we've got rain coming this afternoon). I didn't know what I wanted to do on my workout this morning, so I made it up as I went along and had a good time out there.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

No triskaidekaphobia on my part.  Whenever I've been in a position to pick a uniform number, I've tried to get "13".  It's a leftover from my childhood when Wilt Chamberlain wore it.

Just under 4 miles this morning in IRC.  After a week of only a couple of little runs, even that felt long.

Jlynne--hope those are one and done and nothing more to worry about.

Have to get my schdule in order for tomorrow to try and accomodate the honey do list and a trip to the NH RA meetup.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

Went out for 7 at 7:30 and spent the first mile dodging kids going to elementary school (3 different schools) and about 2 miles further there were nothing but red gowns - BU graduation.  after that just the new canada geese babies which are cute but far too prolific!

jlynne - hope you cold cures quickly.

fleet feet to all racers,

marj

TammyinGP

I ran 5.2 miles also Jay - but last night, not this morning. Smile  I waited til the hottest part of the day. my phone said 88 and since it's a smartphone, I'm sure it's accurate Smile . But since I'm running on trails, mostly covered in trees, I'm sure it was 10 degrees cooler than that.  It was a good run. The beer was good afterwards too.

David survived his AP WH exam yesterday. How did you son do Enke? David said it took a little over 4 hrs and all they had was a 10 minute break after the 70 multiple choice questions and before they started the 2.5 hr essay portion. Said it was the hardest exam he's ever taken, but feels good about it. Won't know results until July I guess.

Tammy

Sayhey! MM#130

Good morning all!

Still coolish in the ams here.  Just did 6 this am since I ran the bridge last night.  And I felt lazy.  Even skipped push-ups.

Get better soon Jlynne!

I remember stylin' in my red Big & Ugly robe and jaunty black beret.  Great image of the kids and then the robes, marj.  Be sure those boyz behave at the breakfast tomorrow.

Glad I don't have to take tests anymore.........I don't, do I??

My new cube number is 213, not a number I love.  Oh, and we got our new name cards we hang on the outside wall, with a note stating that to be ADA compliant, it needs to be 48-60 inches from the floor.  So I put mine down at the lower edge of that.  People now have something to talk about.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

With no more trail shoes - that I wouldn't use for running anyway - after yesterday's epic climb

to the face of the now highly-receded face of the glacier, back to thongs or not for

two easy miles to-and-from Mary's Falls.  Still sunny and nice. yippee. 

No triskaidekaphobia on my part..

sesquipedalian showoff

it needs to be 48-60 inches from the floor. 

So I put mine down at the lower edge of that. 

People now have something to talk about.

Though you have a long way to go, don'tcha just love being old and not having to worry what other people think?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Funny about the ADA compliance, Aamos.

Tammy, my son said the multiple choice part was harder than he expected, and thinks he only got about 70% on that (who knows though?)  The essays - he said he did well on one and ok on the others.  I sure hope he gets an A so he can get the college credit, but if he doesn't, it's still a good learning experience for what to expect in college.  Same thing, 4 hours long, 10 minute break.  I recall Uni finals only being 3 hours long, same as semester finals in HS.  I also hope to never have to take a test again!

I ran last night!  Only 76F, and I was mostly in the shade down at the middle school track, so it was not unpleasant.  3.1 slow miles.  Today it will be hotter so I am thinking of running in the 85F after work - but - we are having a happy hour here at work to hopefully celebrate good news from the FDA that is due today.  I am probably not likely to run after a few drinks.  I also took the bus today, no bike, so I could indulge in the hopefully good news happy hour.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

We never had the option of those types of AP classes when I was in high school.  Locally, there's a program at the community college where HS kids can take college credit courses, and by the time they graduate HS, they can have all, or almost all, of their college general done.  I'm guessing you have to be pretty up on your game and smart to do that.  Me - Definitely would not have made it.

The discussions we've been having over the past few days and the pros and cons of legalization of MJ have been interesting and I've enjoyed reading everyone's opinions  And it's just nice to know we can come in here and voice our opinions without feeling like we're gonna get the 'stink eye' () from anyone.  Thanks, friends ~

Aaamos - You rebel! 

Much needed rest day for me.  I realized in pursing my workout calendar that if I didn't take today off, by the time I get in B2B's this weekend, I would've had 16 days of workouts with only one day off.  Not the way one keeps from getting an overuse injury - at least with my injury history.

And Wild - Take care of that leg.  Did the doc tell you you could start running again???

Okay - Back to work.  Enjoy your weekend, friends ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

Did the doc tell you you could start running again???

and what does that have to do with running ????

Tet – I love reading about your hikes. Sounds like fun, maybe you should cancel a few more meetings to spend more time hiking (and swimming) with DGS

Amy – I liked your blog, as always. So well written, and I read The Perfect Mile last year too which was such a good book.  I also read When Breath Becomes Air last Saturday morning per your recommendation and liked it.

TomS, I am so sorry to hear of your Mom's passing. The past years have been just as hard, I am sure.

Twocat – I ran the last two runs without the Zombies since I don’t plan to run the race with them.  I need to reprogram my Ipod and make sure it is working.  Good luck with your (hopefully unneeded) doctor appointment.

Jlynne – skin cancers can be so different, sure hope they got it all with no recurrence.  Don’t get sick now!  You need to stay healthy enough to take care of those grandsons!  My fast pace these days is 11:00mm so there is no way I could stay with you for the HM next weekend, we’ll see.

Saturday’s meet-up in NH sounds epic, Marj – keep everyone in line, OK?

Steve – I always like your stories, in fact I spent a little time looking back on your FB page yesterday, you sure find the funniest stuff to post!

Leslie - yes it is nice to be able to voice opinions here, interesting discussions about marijuana.

Today has turned very cold here in MN, perfect for the Fishing Opener tomorrow . I am taking a rest day(s) but did get up yesterday morning to run before work. It was 48° and didn’t warm up all day, in fact got colder. It actually felt good to get it done before work.  I had a post typed up after that, but lost it (should heed my own advice to use Word).

We are headed to the Twin Cities in the morning to go see GDD in gymnastics (she is 5 so I am expecting a lot of chaos). Sunday is DGS1’s last hockey game so will see that too. If all the stars align perhaps we can get a photo of all six grandchildren! I hope to be able to shop for flowers on Sunday, sooooo glad I didn’t plant a bunch of stuff already since we are getting frost tonight.

As always, fleet feet to all the racers and may the wind be at your back.

05/14 Hermosaboy- TC 1 Mile

05/14 runnerclay--Darkside 8 HR 05/16 Mike E - Pine Tree Marathon, Portland, ME

05/17 Mike E - Granite State Marathon, Nashua, NH

05/18 Mike E - Red Island Marathon, Warwick, RI

05/19 Mike E - Nutmeg State Marathon, Hartford, CT

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Dave59

Next time I go to the office I am going to take a tape measure and make sure my name plate is within the 48-60 inch guideline.

Beautiful day here. 72°, sunny, breezy, low humidity.

I had a stress test this morning and everything is fine. If I have another case of the tingling in my arm, hand, foot, etc. they will refer me to a neurologist. The doctor, who started running at age 40 and has done 20 marathons, said I was good to go to train for whatever I wanted. I have a nurse as a witness, so if I drop dead next week while I am running I instructed Cindy to sue them.

After the test I went to the park and ran 4 miles.

At the park, there is the start of something called Civil War Weekend. I saw lots of people setting up tents and walking around in uniforms. Too many scurvy Confederates for my taste.   WV was part of the Union afterall.  Most the people dressed as soldiers were a lot older and heavier than I imaged the actual soldiers would have been.

........OK enke//........what'd the FDA approve??

Inquiring Minds

Want To Know

..... Dave//............The Union STILL gets to Win, we're just STILL kinda ''Touchy'' about it...........

(although

you gotta point with the West Virginia  part)

=====================

...but I digress.....

80's......45-min BikeRide,

picked up some Flashing HeadLamps,

Still not real comfortable with putting my back to Car Traffic

...........Good Running Guys..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Okay, I have the house rented for the Portland party, so that's out of the way.  Now to work up to plane tickets.  Apparently the house is a few blocks from the Portland Aerial Tram - that sounds fun, and hiking trails a couple blocks the other way, if we have any energy to hike.

Tammy and Enke - My DS is a freshman in college this year (just finished up actually) and he was able to enter college with 18 credit hours from his HS AP classes, which was very nice.

13.2 miles for me today in 55-ish breezy degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The doctor, who started running at age 40 and has done 20 marathons, said I was good to go to train for whatever I wanted. I have a nurse as a witness, so if I drop dead next week while I am running I instructed Cindy to sue them.

Holly - Is the house near Forest Park?  I've run 2 races there over the years (it's where I ran my first 50k) and it's a really beautiful place.  The Portland Zoo is nearby, as is the Rose Garden.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - it looks like Marquam Nature Park.  The house is on SW 11th Avenue.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."