Masters Running

Frydey, 12.4.15 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tet, Sorry about the rains you're having. I have no blinkie in the back, but I do wear a reflective jacket this time of the year, and I'm always facing what little traffic there is at J o'clock around here (2 cars this morning). I wear gloves all the time when it is dark and anywhere below the low 50s or my hands will get too cold.

Nice 10K yesterday, Aamos. Good luck going easy till your marathon on the 13th. Nope - no long summer races for me. Isn't it odd that my hands can't deal with the cold, and the rest of me can't deal with the heat?

Sorry about your nasty weather too, Leslie. Yeah - where are Ribs and Dave?? Best wishes for the "All clear" for your secretary.

I won't be going that fast again for a while, TW. It was just a test. Meanwhile, I sure am enjoying watching the great progress you're making!

I'm glad you got the call during your 14er, Twocat. Maybe we can do relay calls on Saturday, with each person talking you through a few miles. Maybe a conference call, and we'll all run and talk together?

Deeze, I'll bet you walk at least a mile every day, whether you plan to or not. So don't give up on the FA challenge (and feel better...).

Definitely not normal December weather, Stumpy. There is a forecast out there that this may be the warmest December on record in most of the US. Nice lake run yesterday.

"Knuckle lamps," C-R? Nice 10K for you too (was yesterday 10K Day?). How are the RFPs coming?

Good run, Mr. Consistent, TSelbes.

"Weird but great" is a good description of shorts weather in December, Moebo. Nice 5er.

Sorry you're getting so much snow, Mariposai. Just remember that shoveling is good cross training. Welcome back, David!!

Sounds like your headlamp is too tight, Evanflein (I assume it's on a stretch band). I'm glad the new bike path will work for your winter runs. Have a great trip to SF.

Good core work, Holly.

I had a good meeting with the non-profit last evening, and they will continue to discuss serving as our fiscal agent so we can apply for grants through them. I think the only real issue is the amount/percentage of the management fee they would charge us. Their board doesn't meet again till February, so we have to wait a bit for their formal response to our request.

DW, DN and I are going to Camden, ME for a couple of days for their town-wide Christmas celebrations: There'll be a parade, tree-lighting, fairs, bonfires, outdoor and indoor concerts, etc., and Santa coming in on a lobster boat. Should be a lot of fun!

I went 6.1 RW miles in 38 breezy but dry degrees this morning. I went at a moderate pace and it felt pretty good.

Have a greta Frydey!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Santa on a lobster boat? Cool.

Here is the knuckle light I use

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

...Very Cool CR...........

==========

Regional Relativity is a Strange Thing.......

.............walked out the door,

got hit with 20-degree air,

walked back IN the house

and

am currently considering setting the couch on fire

let's call it a RestDay

.....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

good morning all. Like Leslie (since we live in the same area of the country...sort of... )we are having very heavy rains and highwinds at times. These highwinds make me really glad we had about 7 large, partially dead madrones that were near the house removed a few weeks ago. It's always been my huge worry and stressor as I lay in bed in the pitch black night and hear the winds whipping around out there and wonder which way the trees are leaning. . .

is there is a 500 mi pace bunny? if so, I think I got it beat this this year! Smile

We have some breaks in the heavy rain this weekend, so I'll get there and run. i promise! 

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Five early-morning runpopo miles all blinkied up and in Chaco sandals

in honor of Chacoboy’s return from a successful Peace Corps

assignment to Македонски . 
            Добредо де
            Долго не сме се виделе 

Little chillier at 43-degrees for cotton gloves than I thought it would be.

No rain though. Hope they’re emerging enough from it too elsewhere.

= = = = =

amy - they only had summer marathons when I started running up in erika-land so I thought it was odd that they only had winter marathons when I went to Japan in those days but figured it out when I found out how hot/humid it is over there in the summer.  Now, except still for winters in erika-land, weather seems to be a non-factor in modern-day marathons.
            ps ziggie - good job, those baby steps get harder-and-harder as time marches along.
            pps jay - I’ve got some leftover blinkies from some prior races

in case you might be able to use one sometime.
            I wanna a fishy santa too.

ppps zigz - me too but, as much as I wish it was still Thoisday too, it's actually Frydey.12/4

Well, now I feel like a weenie after hearing what Posie accomplished yesterday.   Crappy, cold, and wet this a.m., so I stayed under the covers and will do a short B2B this weekend - 6 tomorrow, 4 on Sunday.  I love cutback weeks!

Erica - Do you fly down the coast line to SF?  If so, I'll wave at you as you fly over Eureka. 

Much to The Hub's dismay, we're going to a Christmas party tonight.  He has a very hard time being social around folks he doesn't know.  For those of you who have met him, it doesn't seem like it, huh?  It's extremely uncomfortable.  But we had a talk the other night about the fact that he's becoming such a hermit - not even wanting to go for walks with me.  Told him I was going to the party regardless of whether he went, so he ended up agreeing to go, albeit reluctantly.  Baby steps, that's all I'm asking for is baby steps.

Enjoy your Friday ~~

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Долго не сме се виделе

ya know,

I was just thinking that the other day

===========

........after all this ReHabbing, I chickened out

30-min NordicTrak

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Well now.  It appears I posted in the wrong daily.   Thanks, Tet ~~

Santa in a lobster boat?

Years ago here there was a big hoopla about a boat Christmas parade in the bay.  The Hub and I got all bundled up and went down to the docks and waited with a few other hardy souls for the big parade.  Finally, after what seemed like forever, we see lights coming at us.  Closer, CLOser, CLOSER - - - one boat.  One single, solitary boat with Santa at the helm.  I believe that was the last boat parade on Humboldt Bay.

We do, however, have the Truckers Christmas Parade every year that winds it way through town with probably close to 100 trucks.  One semi-truck after another honking out Jingle Bells over . . . and over . . . and over . . . . . . and over.  We avoid the Truckers Parade.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tammy - the 500 mile pace bunny is the only thing I have beat this year too!!

Didn't end up going to work again today - coughing spasms had me up too much last night ....why is it so much worse at night? It was also worse after my 2.2 mile run this afternoon - maybe reactive airway? Going to the dr as much as I don't want to - maybe I can at least get a stronger cough med to help me sleep at night!!

Happy Friday friends!!

denise

Henrun

Denise, I hope that cough abates. I've had a marginal sinusitis for the last 2 weeks. Stuff hangs on this time of year. BTW-I hope to see you at the Jingle Bell run on 12/20. I'll be alone since Marj is taking her DGD to the Nutcracker that day.

Another beautiful morning with less wind. Did a 5 miler along the Charles and through the Boston Garden and Common. Wore shorts again. Had minor surgery 2 days ago for my Dupytrens Contracture. Just a few snips under local and hand exercises. But I have to wear a night splint for 6 months. Fortunately it doesn't interfere with running.

Cool knuckle lights C-R.

Sayhey! MM#130

Sahey!  Busy day here, just checking in, keeping track of y'all.

Rain and clouds here too.  Hope they linger a bit as I have a for real 10K that includes two bridges tomorrow.  Nice green shirt.

I don't like head lights.  I am using the vest and holding a very light flashlight--that way I can train it exactly where I want.

Still singin' and dancin' from "The Wiz" last night.  Such a super escape, so needed.  Loved it.  Loved Elijah Kelly, the scarecrow; dancing, o yes!  Mary J. and Queen Latifah were super, of course...and my fav., Amber Riley from Glee.  (Mercedes)

And our hard work is paying off; just got an email this afternoon that we get Dec. 24 off!

Heal up there, henrun.  Stay warm, tet and PNWers.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I did 8 miles, tonight.  It's 400--I'm lovin' it.

Okay...this is funny...

We do, however, have the Truckers Christmas Parade every year that winds it way through town with probably close to 100 trucks.  One semi-truck after another honking out Jingle Bells over . . . and over . . . and over . . . . . . and over.  We avoid the Truckers Parade.

Well...Debbie comes home, tomorrow.  I had such big plans to get so much done while she was gone.  I was going to have both trees assembled and decorated...one is assembled with two strings of lights on it...the other is still in the box up in the Living Room.  I was going to surprise her by putting lights on the house, after not hanging them the last few years...never even pulled the boxes down.  I did manage to get all the pictures assembled for our Christmas card and emailed them to out photographer...right before I went on my run, tonight.  I was supposed to have all of our Christmas letters printed and folded...they're printed, but the folding never got started.  You know, it ain't easy doing everything yourself.  I did a load of laundry and turned all my socks and underwear pink.  It's not like I've never done laundry before...but...now that I think about it...I used to have a lot of pink socks and underwear.

So...Debbie has a special way of folding towels.  When we first got married, I folded the towels my way and she redid them.  I haven't folded towels since.  But, I thought I'd surprise her and have the towels folded, so I took one of her folded towels and, as I unfolded it, I took a picture of each step.  Well...it really doesn't look all that hard but then I realized it was a whole lot easier to just keep them in the dryer and pull them out as I need them.  I know...I'm brilliant!

Okay--I think I'll go put another string of lights on the tree before going to bed.  See ya!

Mike E

MM #5615

So...I went into the family room to put another string of lights on the tree...and then realized that I had forgotten to water her plants.  I frantically went around dumping water into each of their pots.  I was so frazzled, I skipped the lights, made myself a drink, and I'm hiding out in my bed.  I have nobody to hide from...but I just feel like I should be hiding.  By the way...did I tell you that I dropped my iPad, yesterday, and cracked the screen?  Yep...I did.  I mean...I did drop my iPad and cracked the screen...I don't think I told you.

MkeE  -- I am the one who makes the socks and underwear turn pink, but it is my favorite color. We had 38° today and it was a good melting day. Our streets were pretty slick after the snow/ice on Monday/Tuesday. I feel really bad that I made a trip to the Twin Cities again and didn't have a chance to meet you somehow, sorry about that. It gets crazy with the kids and grandkids (like you know).

Leslie - glad that you got the Hub to go to the party. I can get like that sometimes too.

Tet - what kind of blinkies do you have? I actually just charged up my bike blinkie but I think it will be too heavy to clip on for running. I've used the flashlight when I have needed to and MrStarr has a headlamp but I have not tried that.  I kind of like CR's knuckle light too!

Tammy - It is good to see you back here. 500 miles a year would be good for me. I am at 267 right now so maybe 300 if I really buckle down.

Mama Posai, you should be proud of your son. Enjoy having him back. Glad that he got to spread his wings too.

Jay - do you know how many meetings you have gone to this year? Yikes, I can't imagine. Good luck on the grant writing through the non-profit.

Deez - sure hope you get rid of that cough soon. Sometimes that takes forever and lingers for weeks.

Henry - you are totally amazing. Glad that the surgery didn't put a cramp in your running. I'd like to take my granddaughters (2 so far) to the Nutcracker sometime. If the baby to be born in January is a girl then it will be a few years later. Can they sit still at age 5?

Ribs' dog had to go to the vet this week but that's all I know.

Like I said it was sunny and warm today so a perfect day for a short run after work at 4pm. There was a lot of slush to dodge on my street so I took a side street down to the trail. Wow, did the street department do a great job cleaning that trail, much better than the streets! Oh, Erika, it's fun to be able to picture exactly where you are running, you guys should see her hill! Anyway, I actually ran mile 2 in 11:59, that's speedy for me and it made me smile. Now I have to try the Zombie app that I downloaded. Our Y has newfangled machines that are connected to the internet but I haven't been there to learn about it yet. Maybe tomorrow.  I have 5 pairs of pajamas to make for the grandkids for Christmas now that I have these Advent calendars finished.  I hope to get a good start on them tomorrow. Someone called me today about putting my quilts in a quilt show and I am not sure what I agreed too  so had better get that figured out too.

Here is a picture of the 3 felt advent calendars that I have been working on for years! Whenever they would come home to visit everything would have to get packed up and put out of sight. I gave one to each of our children. Since I didn't have a pattern (other than mine made by my mom) it was a bit time-consuming but they sure appreciated getting their own to start their own tradition.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

OK, since it's just Mike & me here, one more picture since that one doesn't show the detail very well.  These things have about 1000 sequins and beads and I didn't have one drink!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

sounds like another ho-hum day for MikeE, not getting done in a full day what

the average goddess gets done before he even gets back from an average run.  

super advents starr. You have lucky kids, and vice versa.

the running blinkies are only a little over 1.5" diameter so supplement the red bike light I slip onto the back of the stretch band of the white blinking headlamp in front.  I'd never heard of the knuckle lights and carry a hand flashlight for actually seeing the ground. The running blinkies'd be fine pedestrian path running but wouldn't be noticed by a speeding car until too late. I'd be glad to send you a couple (along with some pictures for help in posting sometime). thanks.   

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)