Masters Running

Where Is Everybody Sunday, 2.21.16 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

11:00 and no one has posted yet? Must be sleeping in...

Stumpy, we've thought about splitting the proceeds from the half, but it can get messy real quick if we try that. We're not a 501c3 and don't even have a bank account, so the beneficiary also has to be the fiscal agent for the race for that year. So to ask them to split the funds could, as I said, get messy.

Good work on the mail/newspaper boxes and the foundation, Mike. I won't tell Debbie... About your cycle of running and getting injured - what do you think it might be in your training programs that makes that keep happening? Might be worth taking a look at.

Great last-minute meet-up and group photo at Gasparilla! Terrific running too.

Your GS is a smart one, Tet.

Nice try to unload your DD, Holly. Too bad Tammy wasn't biting. Also way too bad about your running friend and his wife.

Unbelievable story about your Dad's car, Leslie. Clearly, it was meant to be.

Tselbes, congrats on your negative splits in your first race as a walker, on doing well in your AG, and being far from DAL! I think you've got a future as a racewalker! Do I sense a competition between you and TW?

Good racing for you too, Tammy!

That would be a great epitaph for you, Mariposai - but not anytime soon, OK?

Nice FA run, WC. Good call on choosing a beer and hanging with friends, vs another lap.

5+ miles at our racewalking training session this morning - 3 on my own, and 2 with Stephan, for which I had to push the pace just to keep up. We were counting laps but not really looking at the clock and so had no idea how fast we were going. So it goes... We were on the indoor track, but it was nice enough out (upper 40s, & sunny) that we thought we should have been outside today.

DW and I have a cooking class at a local restaurant this afternoon (a Christmas gift from DW), which should be fun and tasty.

Have a greta Sunday!

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

two miles of mariposi'ing on the x-c skis for the first time in 20 years since I left heaven-on-earth up a little southeast of erika-land . . I mean, retired out of the Great Land in 1996 to do other things that i fortunately dearly love to do too. Nice groomed trail that they never had before near dd's house that, depending on meetings, will probably see more of me in the coming week, i hope.

Ran into a friend and his dw I hadn't seen since them as they were coming out on their way back just as I was struggling trying to clip the new, easy-clip-on-xc-shoes to clip on into the binding.  Seeing my utter embarrassment as a former xc afficionado and xc-racer, she said, "don't worry, I used to have the same problems (but i doubt it), popped it in for me and I was on my way.).

On the way back in the car (actually a massive two seater pickup like driving the garbage truck I did in high school days for weekend work), I was further humiliated to myself when dw called on the cell phone and made sure I wrote down the things she wanted me to pick up at the grocery store on the way back. I thought it was a pretty sad commentary that she would think I was getting so old that she would have to make sure I wrote down the items she wanted, only three of them but I did,  . . . only to get back and she pointed out that I not only got bok choy instead of the chinese cabbage she wanted but I also completely forgot the gallon of milk.  oh well.

In my defense, it explained that above the bin said napa cabbage (which is the same as chinese cabbage) but the bin was empty and the bin under it didn't say it was bok choy so I thought maybe it is a strange variation of winter chinese cabbage.  Unfortunately, she didn't think much of it.

ps erika - by coincidence, I have a meeting scheduled with the local representative here and I will mention it.  It is absolutely unbelievable that the University of Alaska has an empty engineering building, especially with the expertise they have developed over the decades on building on the permafrost I got to know so well in two summers on top of the frozen substrate that we used as a refrigerator/cooler along the Yukon River in those days. yuk .

ps - do you have to deal with permafrost at your place?

pps tomw - toms's walking is faster than my 15m/m "running"

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - what are you cooking?

Tet - My DH makes me write down his grocery requests, too, as I have returned home too many times having forgotten his item.

Another beautiful day here, just a little cooler then yesterday, but it was 45 degrees when I went out to run this morning in the early morning sunshine.

4.5 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Guess i at least have a run that kept me away for a bit.  Then a few pick up projects in the yard.  lazy Sunday, it is.

Of course, I guess I could be in Tampa with my choice of 4 races.  Nice picture--hope to complete meeitng everyone in it one of these years.

Sort of wondering if it worked that way, Jay.  Guess you haven't had to worry about repeating yet.

Mike, my training schedules and pace have notihng in common with yours, but wondering if the level that you run at has something to do with the injuries.  Of course, I'd say that i don't run fast enough to hurt myself, but I still manage it somehow.

9.5 miles for 3 laps around the lake this morning in gorgeous 45° weaather.  Shorts are back out.  If it wasn't a bit windy, I had the distinct possiblity of finishing up sans shirt.  Last little fallout from my fun Friday morning was that I forgot to turn off the Garmin when I got back, so it only lasted a couple of miles.  Managed to turn it on at the end long enough to see the time I ended.  So I think I managed 9:30 pace.

Tom--Steady is good.  Good thoughts for continued steady.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

That is some very good race walking, TomS! Maybe some motivation for tomwhite, no? Smile

Speaking of tomwhite, that's good news about Pickles. Stable is good.

Nice, Tammy! And yeah, he should keep on coaching you this summer! I loved seeing his plans for you each week, that was great.

Mike, I agree if you keep getting hurt, at what seems like regular intervals, you might need to re-evaluate something. It does seem like a lot of your runs are very fast, so make sure you fit some easy runs in there too. (Ha, I'm one to talk, right?) I have a hard time slowing down for easy runs too. But other than my foot issue a few years ago, I hardly ever get hurt. But when I do, I usually do lighten up and run a little less and easier, and it goes away. I'm also, like I'm sure you are, a fan of the denial method of dealing with owies. Sometimes they just seem to go away. I'm icing too though. This ankle (on my good foot!) is still bothering me. It doesn't hurt to run though, so I've been running. But I'm keeping an eye on it and if it gets worse, I'll back off. I've got some oral surgery scheduled for March 4, so there will be a few days of no or light running after that.

Tet, we don't have permafrost here at our house, but we did have some freezing pipe damage under our house that we fixed a couple years ago. That was not fun. Thanks for talking to the legislator this week, be sure to impress on him the importance of research to the success of the university, and while it brings in money it does need state funding that is matched by the grants.

Plan for yesterday was at least 8 miles but it was so nice out and I felt really good so kept going till 9.3 miles done. I was thinking it would be a nice day to do my long run, but I didn't have time. It was low 20's and felt wonderful! Today is even warmer, and we'll have upper 20's to low 30's all week. This is the weirdest winter I can recall in a long time: warmer than normal and we haven't had new snow of any significant amount for weeks if not months. We still have snow, but it's kind of crusty and the roads are all hard-pack slick. Goal for today is at least 15 miles.

Marathon Maniac #957

Quick question:  Which Garmin do you run with, and what do you like about it?

My battery life on my Forerunner 305 has diminished to the point where it will soon need replacing, and DH suggested that I use my upcoming birthday as an excuse to buy a new Garmin.  He does have his good moments....

TomWhite - good news!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike - that is the weird thing about aches and pains.  Mostly, I find taking time off does nothing for the "injury" and things just tend to heal over time on their own.

5 miles, with lot of walk breaks because the tendons that go up and down the inside of my left knee start to ache, hurt a little and it just doesn't feel right.  I think I need to run more often, but shorter, easier runs.  A once a week 10 miler is not working for me.

Next week should be mostly dry so I will be excited to bike-bus-bike commute and burn some calories.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

Holly, I used to have the 305 and when it died, I got trade-in credit with garmin that I applied towards a FR15.  I found I rarely, if ever, used all the bells & whistles on the 305 and the 15 suits what I want for a gps watch. it's basic, easy to operate, simple. It's far more barebones.

Tammy

Rhoon phast – I am exactly where you are

Ran 2 miles today with a sort of hot/cold sick feeling in my head...2 miles with DS. That brings me to 4 runs in 7 days, long of 4 miles, short of 2.

At least I am finally getting out somewhat consistently. Feels like good progress. Might have some more marathons in me next year...

Today was day 5 out of 7, long of 3.6 (today) and short of 1.6. I would like to think I have a marathon or two in me for 2017 as well

TomWhite – good news about Pickles – yeah!!!

Jay – wonder what you will learn to make???

Holly - I use a Forerunner 10 and I love the simplicity of it. Pretty much for exactly the same reasons that Tammy uses a FR15.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

...thanks guys///////.........her numbers were actually Down which, again, is Good

.......between me and tselbs>>>>>>>>>> it's NO CONTEST, I concede

also

I have Invented RaceDoddering, at which I currently am the World Record Holder......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

I was looking at the 10 and the 15, but ended up getting the Forerunner 25. It does everything I need for running and also serves as my daily watch and activity tracker. I used to use a FitBit, but this works just as well and also tracks my sleep (trying to improve on getting more/better sleep). It uploads to my iPhone by bluetooth so no more struggling with a manual upload via the cable and browser plug-ins. It connects to satellites really quickly and it's much smaller than the 305 so less bulky. I really like it and it was on sale at Amazon so I used some accumulated gift certificates to bring the price down to about $40.

MTA: race doddering... heh... Yay for Pickles!

Tammy, nice 5K being 5/12 in AG.  wild, 32 miles in your run/race is impressive.  Nice long run, Mike.

This morning, I walked 3 miles outside at a 13:38 pace and this afternoon 2 more at a 13:49 pace.

Tomorrow, I see the doctor.  I'm hoping for permission to run.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

moebo

So much going on around here the past few days, I can't even begin to comment on everything I'd like to! I especially liked the Falafel Inn photo.

Tselbs, I hope you get permission to run tomorrow.

Tammy, congratulations on your race! I wanted to tell you that my DD joined the tennis team when she was a junior in HS, also with no significant prior experience. She is not very "athletically inclined" (if you get my drift), but  had a great time and never regretted her decision. I bet your DS will do great!

Tomwhite, glad to hear that Pickles' counts are down.

Tet, I have to make shopping lists, too.

Holly, I have the FR220 and like it a lot. I think the newer 225 is probably better for some things (I think I would like having the HR monitor on my wrist), but the 220 is waterproof , while he 225 is only water resistant. The 220 gets the GPS signal quickly and syncs to my phone, which I find very practical. Also, it is purple!

10 miles running, 4 miles walking for me in gorgeous spring-like weather today.

Bushrat Runner

The hot and cold in my head went to full on fever chills last night...not good for much today...busy building immunity to another flu virus. Better now than later...

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Great news about Pickles, TW.

I have a Forerunner 15.  It's very simple--very light--but I can't figure out to do laps with it....but I'm sure that's me and not the watch.  And it was fairly inexpensive.

I just got done FaceTiming with Mikey and his girls.  Man, they are cute kids...the girls...not Mikey.  But he was saying it is 40 and raining in Palmer, AK.  He's not happy about that.

Ryan called me right before I was going out for my run, so I stuck the ear buds in my ears and took him with me.  8 miles talking to Ryan.  The run wasn't so great but it didn't seem to matter.

Hey, tet--what was your excuse about the milk?

Okay--gotta go--see ya!