Masters Running

Race Reports for the weekend of August 5 & 6 (Read 28 times)

Mariposai

Good luck to our weekend racer, our one and only "Snow Queen" Erika

08/05 evanflein - Santa Claus Half Marathon

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Yes, there is a Santa Claus Half Marathon! This race has changed so much over the years, the only thing constant is the timing (first Saturday in August). This year's race had been canceled because there was no RD. Apparently the North Pole High School cross-country team didn't want to do it anymore. So, we were adjusting our local race series from an 8 race series to a 7 race series. Bad news for me because I rely on the longer races to catch up in points to those speedy young women who run track and favor the shorter distances. So, Team RWB (red, white and blue, a service organization to help veterans) stepped up and the race was on! I told my friend Jane, part of Team RWB, that they need to raise the entry fee next year if they're still doing this race. It was only $20 and I think most people would gladly pay $35 or $40 to enter and support the cause.

Ok, on to the race... Perfect weather if not a little too sunny. Some cloud cover would've been nice, but I'm not going to complain about a sunny day in August! Fashion report: teal Asics shorts, white singlet, Saucony Kinvara 8's. The race is held in the Chena Lakes recreation area, part of the Chena River Flood Control project, just south of North Pole. It's called the "Santa Claus Half Marathon" because North Pole is this kitchy little town about 14 miles southeast of Fairbanks that thrives on all this Santa Claus and Christmas stuff. Nothing like a town with a theme.

The race started a little differently this year (again, it's changed a bit for each of the past 3 years), starting in a field where we ran about 500 feet up to the bike path, followed that path for about a mile then veered off to a dirt road. At about 2.5 miles, we're up on the dike running on a gravel surface with rocks of varying sizes, many kind of big, and loose sand in spots. I work too hard on this surface, and was trying to maintain a 7:55 pace but having a hard time. Met DH where the bikepath started again (yay) at 4.7 miles, and he had my Nuun and some words of encouragement. He meets me at several spots with that support, and it really helps. So the bikepath went on for what seemed like forever but it was about 3 miles. Then up and over the dike onto the flood control plain where there were more rocks and gravel sections. Just before mile 10 we're up on the dike again, running along the gravelly surface for a little over a mile I think, then down onto the bike path again. Really struggled on the gravel sections this year, so was very glad to get back on the pavement. Passed two women who'd passed me earlier, and finished 6th woman in 1:48:38.

We didn't stick around for any awards or anything, and it was nice to get home before noon on that beautiful Saturday. I like the half marathon distance, and this one is the only local half that we have here. But I really dislike the course because of the rocks and gravel. Overall series standings improved to 5th place, but the women in 6th and 7th are going to overtake me in the next two races (they just didn't do all the races so far, which is why they're behind me in total points so far), so I'm not confident in retaining a top 5 spot. Next up is the Golden Heart Trail 5k on the 19th, and then the Equinox on Sept. 16.

Mike E

MM #5615

Well...that is a great job, Erika...and a great report.  But I think the most impressive thing to me is that you live north of North Pole.

evanflein

Yeah, it's a stupid name for a redneck town with some of the coldest low spots in the area. But hey, they have a great big santa out there, and the street lights look like candy canes. I took Holly out there when she was here.

Tramps

Nicely done on a tough course!

And I had no idea...I googled it...

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

Yep, I kid you not. And they're building onto that thing so it's going to be even bigger. That actually looks like an old picture, it's more white now and bigger than that. Full of everything Christmas.

Here's more what it looks like now, and yes that big Santa statue is huge, and was recently moved back from the road a bit.

Great report, Erika!  I also am impressed by the North Pole living!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mariposai

Nice race, sistahhh. I really enjoyed reading the race report.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

spinach

Erika, Sounds like a nice race although I agree with you that I hate running races on gravel roads and dirt roads. nice job.

I ran a little 5k on saturday, I think the name was Clearwater Heritage 5k. It was okay, I won the 60+ age group with a time of 20:42. At least my times are improving slowly although my knees were very sore the rest of the weekend. The prize for winning age group was a gift card at a butcher's shop.  Unfortunately I didn't notice what the prize was until i got home and opened the envelop. I would have given the card away if i knew what it was, since I am about 99% vegetarian. I am not vegetarian for any particular reason other than the fact I don't like the taste of meat. I could go through a few dollars of meat but I don't think I could spend $25 on meat.

This is now 185 consecutive months with a race.

evanflein

Nice job, Spinach! And I bet you know someone who could use that gift card. That is an interesting prize though for a running race. I'd say maybe a third of the people I know around here who run are vegetarians.

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice racing Erika and Spinach!  Erika - I am with you on the rock and gravel running being no fun.  And I remember visiting that store!  Spinach - like Erika, I expect you can find someone who will use that gift.  Or you could stock your freezer for the winter....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."