Masters Running

Tuesdaily, 4.3.18 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry, but someone else will have to do yesterday's wrap for today. I've got too much to do, and too little time.

I'm so sorry, Starr. Do take care of yourself, and do what you can for Mr. Starr. As S. Bill said, AA doesn't work for everyone, but it does work. I have a BIL who has been going to meetings for about 30 years, and it helped him a lot.

We mix kale in with other greens in salads, and have sauteed it in olive oil with walnuts and garlic. Do you know there is 'sweet kale'?

I spoke at a public hearing last night regarding the Town leasing a parcel that is wetlands to a developer. It didn't go our way. Luckily, it was the first of two public hearings in this process, so we get another swing at the pinata. We have significant and growing flooding problems, and the Town is considering letting someone develop in the wetlands that help protect us from flooding issues? I know I'm biased, but I just don't get it.

6.4 RW miles this morning in 29° temps with declining splits.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.    I did 3.2 miles this morning taking it easy on my left hip/hamstring.   HOWEVER, for some reason the run didn't connect to Garmin Connect/RA, so it wasn't going to exist!  I don't know what happened.  My Garmin was connected and syncing and the run is on the watch, but won't go anywhere.  So- manual entry.   I hate when my electronics act up.   I did all the usual fixes.

Won $53 in one basketball pool and maybe some beer in another.

2.3 miles at lunch from work to make sure my Garmin would behave.  It did.  I have some sort of alcohol-related event after work and wanted a couple more miles since tomorrow is a travel day and will be an early, early treadmill mile or two.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

I've been getting a little sicker each day so I took the day off work and got some cold medicine to alleviate the headache and coughing.

I'll skip working out today too.

Still 57 in the house. I asked my wife about it and she said she was waiting for me to turn the heat back on. I guess she doesn't live by the rule of whoever turns off the heat must turn it back on. Going into the 70s today anyway so I've open the windows to warm the place up.

TammyinGP

Leslie - I had also thought of SOB as my possible next one but it's pretty challenging for a first 50K AND it's in summer time, which means it'll be hot and with our high risk of wildfires, I am not sure I want to risk running in smoke, you know? 
          and on that note, for those not on FB so don't know, this upcoming 50K MAY be out. I'm not ruling it out just yet and am hoping that if nothing else I can do the 30K but my sports doc, short of having an MRI, is pretty certain I have a mild stress fx. No running for 2 wks, he'll treat all the surrounding tissue area in the event it is only soft tissue related (he opines mild sfx as well as soft tissue/tendon issues). He stripped out the tendon (hurt like a mofo!!), does laser therapy to promote faster healing and will do that again friday, a few times next week and then do his testing protocol for stress fx to see if it still hurts like it's in the bone, or not.  In the meantime, lots of elliptical or bike to keep my cardio fitness up since I can't run. 

leaving in about a hour for portland for a OSU/Honors College reception. back tomorrow.

Tammy

Dave - The heater battle is pretty funny. 

Tammy - Well, dang it.  But I love your attitude!  SOB is hard, and it was only after I hit the "Send" button to sign up that I saw the 50k has a 7.5 hr time limit.  Well, crap.  I'm seriously going to have to work my butt off to meet that.   They used to have an 8 or 9 hr time limit.  With a 50 miler the same day, I'm surprised at the 50k time limit.

Starr - You know The Hub and I will be praying for you guys.  Continue to work your own program and remember that your sobriety is the most important thing for you.  The Hub always says his priorities are: (1) God, (2) his sobriety, (3) me.  I'm here if you need an ear.

Other than that, it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood with no rain until Thursday . . . or so they say . . .

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

spacityrunner

Hot humid and windy AND a pollen storm but what the heck I went for a run anyway   I am all gritty now and can't wait till i get in the shower...3.5 miles along the balboa spillway trail.  Now to wait for the t-storms to roll on through.

Trails Rock!

Tammy- sorry about the possible stress fracture and the treatment pain.  I hope it resolves. Your doctor sounds really good.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

pfriese

Tammy, sorry to hear about your possible stress fracture. Keeping my fingers crossed that a couple of weeks off will take care of the problem.

Very windy day for a Hanson's strength workout (6x1 mile at 8min/mile with 0.25 mile recoveries, plus 1.5 miles wu & a 1.5 mile cd). North wind of 25 mph with gusts to 35mph. I started my run straight into the wind. About 2.5 miles in, I turned onto the trail thru a wildlife refuge. The trees in there helped lessen the wind some. At the turnaround, it was a breeze coming back.  10.5 miles total.

Paul

Henrun

2.2 miles this morning as the temp slowly rose. But after a warm up to the 60’s tomorrow we’re back to the 40’s. The extended forecast for the marathon looks pretty good now (low 50’s, some showers and tailwinds) but in NewEngland it’s all subject to change.

((Tammy)).

Thanks for all the comments and suggestion for me and my husband. It is difficult to go through and talk about. I don’t really think he would go to an in-patient facility nor would AA would be an option. However, I have been in Celebrate Recovery, a Christ-based 12 step program, ever since a couple from church started it back in 2010. One Sunday in church she spoke before the whole congregation about her own struggle with alcohol and how hard it had been for her to find help. She had kept her struggles secret just like I was doing. Her words hit home with me because I too had been abusing alcohol for quite a while. I felt that God was offering me a chance to conquer my addiction once and for all. It took great courage to come to that first meeting and I was extremely nervous. I remember thinking, “If this doesn’t work, then what?” It took courage to take that first step. The thought of going to A.A. was terrifying for me but CR is held in a familiar, safe place. I wanted to stop drinking but I didn’t really want to give it up, I wanted to control it. I had a couple of relapses where I tried to do it my way but it finally realized once and for all that I had to abstain totally. It has actually given me more freedom than trying to set limits.

After a year or so, I volunteered to plan the worship time at CR and asked MrStarr to come to CR lead the songs for me. He wouldn’t stay more than 10-15 minutes but he was there. After 1 ½ years he admitted that he was one of “those people” and needed help too. We got along so much better in those four years than ever before. He suffered from severe anxiety and depression and it took a year for him to recover. He was back to his old self but then started drinking too. He wouldn’t listen to me about not drinking with the meds he takes. I don’t like to read about the scary stories with tragic outcomes but know that it’s a real possibility, thanks for sharing them SteveP and RunnerKSA. I do plan to take care of myself and be positive and encouraging around him. I will not try to cover for him anymore either. He didn’t drink at all yesterday or so far today so that's a start. I think He will come to CR with me tomorrow night but won’t stay for the sharing group. The lesson is Admit and that will be good for him to hear.

We are getting 6 – 9” of snow with 40 mph winds so I came home for lunch and am staying put. We have a lot of work to do in the basement remodel project. I’ll do what I can with my one arm.

Leslie and Mariposai, thanks for the offers to chat, that’s a great idea!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

{{{Starr}}}

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

evanflein

Hang in there, Starr. I think you've got a good approach and mind-set for handling this, but ultimately it's up to him, right? And 6-9" of snow, seriously? I'd stay home, too!

Tammy, noooooo! I have to tell ya though, if it is a stress fracture, 2 weeks isn't going to do much but get you stabilized. I'm in week #12 since I stopped running because of it (although I probably ran on it a week or two too long) and have been slowly building back up since the third week in March. I still feel it, but it's more a dull ache sporadically and no real pain. But I'm keeping a close watch on it and any sign of pain will send me back a week or two. I've got a 5k on May 5 and hope I'm ready for it.

Jay, hard to explain why they'd want to promote development in a flood-prone area. But I can't explain any of the environmental actions being taken these days. It seems decisions are made with profit motive only, with no thought to long-term consequences.

As forecast, it's chilly and windy today. Brought my gym bag for a ride on the elliptical later, but I'm also feeling the call of a rest day at some point.

[[[starr]]

...........nice Running pfreise........

===============

....40-min PoolRun with letters

............70s here (30s tonite)

.and

.hit golfballs.........most were in the air..........so THAT's good

see the hip doc friday

.....................good Running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

So, I decided to run on the beach this morning.  I chose to wear shoes because I don't normally run barefoot and I discovered with my V5Fs that you need to build up to longer miles if you don't want a sore Achilles.  Today I discovered that 1) running in sand is harder than it looks and 2) it is really hot here, even at 8 in the morning.  So, after 3.5 sand-sucking, sweat-dripping, eye-stinging miles, I gave up and headed in to the air-conditioned fitness center to finish my run.  I know, I am a wuss, right?

6.4 miles total.  Plus 4 more beach-walking miles later.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

.and

.hit golfballs.........most were in the air..........so THAT's good

Holly - Let's see: You've been living in frigid temps the last how many months?  You've run in sand how many times in the last how many frigid months?  Stop being a wuss and get up at 2:00 a.m. to get in those miles!! 

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance