Masters Running

MCM Report--a little different (Read 270 times)

“While we live and when we fall, honor is all we have.”

A small band of Rapid City runners made their way to Washington D.C. last weekend for the Marine Corps Marathon and 10K.  While we’d all run races and marathons before, this one would be different.  We weren’t running for ourselves, we were running for all the brave and courageous South Dakotans who gave their lives for our country.

The MCM is a unique event.  I’ve run it twice now and I can’t imagine ever running it without tearing up at some point along the route.  It’s not about elite runners: there’s no prize money.  Because of the crowds (it is the 5th largest marathon in the U.S.), it is not a course conducive to running a PR.   

Dubbed the “People’s Marathon,” the MCM welcomes first-time marathoners.  Their enthusiasm, nerves and high spirits are truly palpable in the morning dawn as you emerge from the Metro, heading to the start line.  After the National Anthem, there is a flyover; this year, we were treated to V-22 Ospreys, a tilt-rotor aircraft used by all 4 branches of the service.  Truly, you feel a part of something much larger than yourself before the starting gun ever fires.

Last year, the numbers of runners honoring fallen comrades or family members impressed me.  Every other runner, or so it seemed, had a name or photo on their shirts, commemorating that soldier’s life—a life that was all too short.  Others ran for groups serving injured veterans.  Then there were the veterans themselves, returned from war and there to face a different challenge, that of covering 26.2 miles on their feet.  Or in their wheelchairs.

The course begins near the Pentagon, in Arlington, and ends nearby, at the base of the Iwo Jima Memorial.  The miles in between take runners throughout the Capital, past monuments and along the Potomac.  All along the way, the frequent water stops are personed by our service men and women in their fatigues.  Try and thank these young heroes and you are politely but firmly shaken off:  “No, thank you, ma’am, for running.”

Running this race is humbling, as you are surrounded by people who have sacrificed much for the United States.  You pass memorials to others who have died for it.  It is also incredibly inspiring, as you reflect upon all the freedoms, rights and responsibilities we experience as citizens.   We can be proud today because of what our service people have done for us and continue to do, each and every day. 

Our group decided that in order to personalize our mission, we would find individual South Dakotans who were killed in war and put their names on our shirts.  They are meant to stand for all our Fallen Heroes.  Here then, in the order of their deaths, with the World War II vets at the bottom, through Vietnam and on up to the Iraqi vets, are the 8 men and women standing for the many:

Army SGT Jeremiah Boehmer

Army SSG Jason W. Montefering

Army CW2 Paul J. Pillen

Army 1LT Michael R. Michels

Navy HM2 Robert J. Bridges

Army Air Force SSGT Fern O. Bruebaker

Army 2LT Ernestine M. Koranda

Navy S1C Albert R. Wranek

With these names and the South Dakota State flag on our backs,  and the USMC logo, the U.S. flag and the motto leading this column on the front of our shirts, we hit the streets early last Sunday morning.  Our hope is that we in some small way honored the achievements and the legacy of these men and women, of all South Dakotan military personnel, and every fallen soldier.

As the Marines say: “Semper Fi.”  (Always Faithful).

-----This would be a great reunion marathon--lots of family oriented stuff and a meaningful run.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
    evanflein

Good report, Aamos. I didn't realize there was no elite prize money in this race. What a wonderful idea to run for your state's fallen heroes. Thanks.
      pfriese

Great report Aamos. My RR was mainly about how I ran the race. Yours really captures the why.

BTW, I'm the gray-haired pony-tailed guy in a Maniac shirt, if you passed me near the end.

Thanks for the RR.

Paul

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wonderful Aamos.   

Heartfelt and wonderful.

Thank You!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Great report, Aamos.  You put it all in perspective.

TomS

What a touching report - one of the best!   Thanks for sharing!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Aamos a very touching report.  It is wonderful to see a group dedicated to honoring and remembering those that have sacrificed and those that have served our country.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Excellent thought / Nicely said / Well done!  Thanks much...

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Very nice.  And thank you for running for the nurse...

I ran this in 1995 and 1999.  1995 was my very first marathon. Now that I have more experience under my belt, I'd like to run it again.  And. Because of your report last year and your report this year, I really want to run it again.

Thanks for this report.  You are a gifted writer.

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Excellent! Well written.. Thank YOU Amy!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

wildchild

Carolyn

Very thoughtful report - thanks, Amy.  DC is a cool city and it would be fun to run there sometime. And even though you didn't mention it, congrats on your 3rd in AG!  And congrats to Dan on his great 10k run too.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

great report Amy - thank you!!

denise

Thank you, Amy.  Very thoughtful report that really capture the meaning of a special marathon.  Do you by chance know the history of it?  I know I could go google it, and probably will, but was just wondering.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

Thank you for the very moving RR

SteveP

Very nice and heart felt RR.  MCM sounds like a geat race with a lot of deeper meaning.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down