Masters Running

Buckley Days 5K RR (Read 457 times)

SteveP

A little over 2 ½ years ago, Grampy picked up a baby jogger with 21” tires. Shortly there after, DD#1 and SIL were kind enough to provide a baby for the jogger.  As they wouldn’t let me name the baby “Robin”, the family had become very traumatized.

DW, Tag and I have taken Noah out with the jogger a number of times. Now that he’s talking, the outings are more interactive. Noah is starting to tell us when he’d like to “Go that way”. We “Go uphill” and “Go down hill”.  During a family hike, Noah, Tag and I kept getting ahead of the others. Noah would suggest “Hide….Hide”.

As the hike was drawing to a close, Noah repeated, “Get down…Get down”. I have to admit, my feelings were hurt; until he got down. He said, “Go runnin” and took off.

We may both be hooked.

Now the race is another story. No pre-registering.  The $8.00 entry fee includes a shirt and post race refreshments for runner and no runners. Some AGs are in 5 year increments. Others are in 10 years groupings.

While registering, it started to rain. Near race time, it was a steady down pour. There  wasn’t any lightning, so I was going to run. I did call DW up and told her not to subject Noah to the weather. SIL was already packing him up to go. Apparently, just after midnight, our beloved grandson woke up and kept saying, “Go runnin”…”Go runnin (G)rampy”…Noah says “Grampy” with a silent “G”. He kept this up until 4:30 AM.  Most of us understand pre race jitters. However, this kid is only two and a half. Kinda brings a tear to your eye.

We strapped him in the jogger and gave him an umbrella. The down pour made getting Noah in difficult. I couldn’t see the straps and wet fingers interfered with tactual sensations. The only regret so far is that we didn’t pray together before the race. We got to the starting line just in time for a semi truck to blast it’s horn and we were off!!!!

It was tough to focus on the course and I was listening to Noah in case he wanted to bail out. For half the course I heard, “Honk horn”…”Honk horn”. …Sometimes he say “Up hill” and “Down hill”.  This was easier said than done. The entire course is rolling hills.

When we got to the last turn, we hid by the post office and Noah got out of the jogger and we rounded the corner together.

The rescue vehicle blasted it’s siren and the spectators cheered loudly for our trotting tot. The last 1/10th of a mile our pride and joy was very focused.

As soon as we were done, Noah looks at Dad's cam corder and says, "I wub you Momma". Then he repeats, “Do again” and “Go runnin (G)rampy.” Dad turned him loose and he went runnin again

.....and again. This time, with other tots.

At the awards, Noah looked at the stage and repeated, “Go up there”…..”Go up there”. And we did.

2nd AG at 31:00 flat.

The RD said, from now on, there will be a 100 yrd race for tots and a one mile fun run for tweens and pre tweens.

This calls for ice cream!!!!

Now to deal with an angry dog…..

SteveP

BlazinCajun

Oh I just love it. The pictures just tell the whole story and what fun for the family. My daughter and I usually like to say a prayer of protection and thanksgiving when we run together. Congratulations on second in AG - and with a stroller! Thanks for sharing this.

Andrew
      ------------------
      God, my Lord, is my strength;
      he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
      and enables me to go upon the heights.
      Hb 3:19

Slo

Sometimes I get wrapped up in my log, my training and take myself way to seriously.

Then I read a report like yours.....look at the cool pictures and I'm suddenly reminded of the most important part of doing what we do.......Share It !

Nice work Noah !

You said it kinda brings a tear to the eye!?  Oh my....a bunch of tears and a grin here! What a (G)rampy and what a kiddo.

Fantastic Steve and what a dynamic duo indeed (cover Tag's ears). Loved the report and the smiles on all your faces say it all.

This is what it's really all about and so priceless.

Very nice Steve.  Thanks for sharing !!!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

What an experience, steve.  You sure know how to enjoy life and involve all around you.  Thanks for sharing the report and pictures.

TomS

Dave59

Great pictures Steve.  I hope to run into you some day at a race (since we're both here in Michigan.)

Fun times with the grand kid Steve. He wil remember these days fondly forever and so will you.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

I love it!  And running the last 1/10th of a mile in together is priceless!  Noah is adorable, and you are a wonderful (G)rampy!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Very appropriate name for someone running his first race in the rain.  (it's not still raining is it?)  I think you've successfully transferred the joy of running to the younger generation.  And also shown everyone here, too.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh, this was the absolute highlight of my day!    Noah is absolutely adorable -and you certainly know how to live life Steve.   Great report.    {{{avenger doggie}}}   I won't say a word ...... Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Steve, you're a super hero, for sure, especially to Noah!  I love your RRs. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

{{{avenger doggie}}}  

He was so wound up when we got home....We went for 1.5 miles later.  I've never seen him run so hard....I kept repeating, "Don't run angry"...But he did.

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

you make me wanna go to Michigan just to get you to pus. . .I mean get you to run with me.
                              The umbrella one's good but the finishing together is for the ages

(mine with DD from 32 years ago still makes running worthwhile))

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

dg.

Steve, well, like everyone else said!     This made my day.    tears & smiles.   wtg Rampy!!     Look at the smiles on both of your faces!   And they're adding tot & tween races after this... that is so cool.    Thanks for your report, as always.   And 2nd in AG!   All sweetened by ice cream.  Big grin.     

hugs for Tag.