Masters Running

Thursday, 3.2.17 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday’s wonnerful workouts:
    Marj (4 miles before the rain - best run in over a week)
    Dave (3.66 miles in shorts and a T in the park, before the storms)
    Tramps (7.5 miles in ominous winds, before the storms)
    Tomwhite (10 min on X-Bike for every hour for 6 hours, during the storms)
    Rochrunner (4 miles in shorts and long-sleeve T for the 1st run in a few days)
    Catwhoorg (4 miles at recovery pace)
    Holly (3 TM miles with muscle soreness)
    Mike (10 miles with 7 at tempo pace [hard work])
    C-R (6.2 peaceful but challenging miles in the 8th state of the business trip)

Lots ‘o stormy weather (I have the Joni Mitchell version of that song, which doesn’t sound like her at all, but it’s still a good version of it) around, so I hope you all are and stay safe.

Good way to keep the GCs entertained, Marj.

Glad you are doing better, Jlynne. Careful with that snowblowing cross-training.

So that’s what happens when you “quote.” Thanks Dave!

The McMillan newsletter looks interesting, Tramps. Thanks for the info & link.

Isn’t it scary when the side-effects are worse than what you are trying to treat, Doug? I’m glad DW is a lot better, and the trip is back on.

I hope the sick kitty is OK, Spacityrunner.

I spent about an hour working on updating one of our race websites yesterday, and then all my work disappeared. I was very good, and didn't throw my laptop through a window or start kicking and screaming. But I wasn't happy. I will tackle it again today and hope for better results.

I woke up at 2:30, stayed awake till about 3:30, slept for 20 minutes, and then got up and headed out for a workout. 6.6 RW miles in ridiculous 55F temps, but with lots and lots of wind. I kept my stride length controlled and was able to maintain a reasonably, maybe partially respectable pace throughout. The temps have already dropped well into the 40s, and are going to keep dropping all day, although the winds will keep gusting at 25+ MPH. It was nice to be in shorts today, but I think I'll be back in tights tomorrow.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Master Recapper and those yet to post. Hope you enjoyed your workout in shorts today. I think you may be in for a change in the temperature

Welcome home C-R. Post those pictures when you get a chance.

Thanks for the link Tramps and Marj. Got one ordered for my GS#2's birthday at the end of the month.

Mike - there was a church here that offered "drive-through" service to receive ashes yesterday. Have we gotten that busy that we can't take 5 or 10 minutes to actually go inside church and just enjoy the peace and quiet of the experience?

Our local NPR radio station did a piece this morning on a phobia (sorry, I can't remember the name) where certain sounds drive you crazy. Lots of the usual - chewing, snoring, sniffing - but one guy called in and said he couldn't stand the sound of President Trump's voice! To the point where he had to turn the television or radio off if the president was on. Is that a phobia do you think?!

The storm passed through and I got the driveway cleared out without problems. I haven't used the snow blower for a while so it took longer than it should have. DH is not endearing himself to me with texts of pictures of he and his golf buddies sitting at outdoor cafes drinking beer and listening to a Jimmy Buffet impersonator. And by the time he gets home this weekend, the temps are supposed to be back in the 50's

30 minutes of laps and 30 minutes of pool running this morning, trying to channel my inner Holly and Tom W.

Our local NPR radio station did a piece this morning on a phobia (sorry, I can't remember the name) where certain sounds drive you crazy. Lots of the usual - chewing, snoring, sniffing - but one guy called in and said he couldn't stand the sound of President Trump's voice! To the point where he had to turn the television or radio off if the president was on. Is that a phobia do you think?!

.........Where are my Stiffle Pills when I really need them??.....................

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

Good Morning Friends

I can relate to that phobia TomWhite. I also see/hear of a whole new strain of PTSD/depression issues ever since Nov. 

Didn't have time to log in last night to report my 4 mile run after work. It was about 50 and sunny, so a great start to March. Will get in hopefully about 5 tonight since it should be a repeat of that weather. Then we head to several days of chilly/rainy weather. that'll make for a not as enjoyable 12 mile run this weekend.

Just as I was finishing up my run yesterday, my DH called, asking me to meet him and David at the Urgent Care clinic. David has tennis practice and during their warm-up laps around the court, feet got tangled up and David went down, rolled a few times and wasn't sure if he broke or sprained his wrist. X-rays and a soft brace later, it was a sprain but now he has to use it as little as possible for about a week. Right hand too, so limits alot of what he can do.

He still plans on attending tennis practices though and he and his coach (not team coach, his individual coach) plan on working on left handed swinging/hitting to strengthen up the left wrist/arm for back swings, which is his weakness.

ok, time to work. see ya!

Tammy

Thanks for the start, Jay.

You have snow, Jlynne? For me it's another wasted winter for having the winter tires on the car.

With my two days a week doing taxes, I haven't been over to the Oakland U pool to swim since the 1st of the year, so was stiff today when I got into the pool. But I managed 1200 yards before calling it quits, followed by my favorite part: a few minutes in the hot tub at the other end of the pool!

Our trip plans are a go now, so I've got to get my stuff ready to pack. We have a week with a Road Scholar program in San Antonio, then we're renting a car to drive to West Texas to the tiny town of Marathon and spend a couple days in Big Bend N.P. Looking forward to seeing another part of the country that's new to us.

Have a greta RA Masters day, all!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

...howdy.......

===========

40-min on GreenWay HH weighted cane

Hiking Buddy did well with his 2-lb handweights

however

could NOT

get him to use ''SissyBoy'' as his Mantra

............good running guys

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/skin-cancer/prevention-and-early-detection/uv-protection.html

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

catwhoorg

Labrat

back to my usual 6 at my usual easy pace.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

coastwalker all gone! Argh!  I hate it when that happens.

roachrunner I am so jealous! I loved San Antonio when I went there last year.

C-R running in new places is one of the things I actually like about business trips.

Mike E why do I suspect your temp pace that you worked too hard for would in my life be my never going to manage race pace? Oh, oh I know, I know, call on me! Because you run sub-3 hour marathons fairly regularly and I can no longer bust 3:30.  

spacityrunner mmm barbecue! My favorite! Memphis barbecue is supposed to be awesome to boot!

Holly S. nothing like having a really, really good excuse to take it easy!

No run for me yesterday. Much better. I went to the Whiskey Live show in NYC with some friends. One of my favorite events of the year. In one evening you get to try more variants if whiskey than you might otherwise have a shot (ahem) in you your lifetime! Over the years I have discovered some real gems. Plus, you really get to find out what it is you do and do not like. If you are wondering how you make it through evening upright, there are rules you have to follow. There is a buffet at the show. Go there first. Eat. Then go whiskey tasting. Tasting means just that, tasting not drinking. Take a sip. Toss the rest and move on. Last year I violated the rules and paid a pretty heavy price. This year, I followed them scrupulously and made it home just fine. Plus, I now have in hand a few new whiskey's to go buy when my stash runs down.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Jay - Good job not throwing your computer out the window!  We have a desktop and laptop at home, and the laptop is a lesson in patience, especially for The Hub . . . who hasn't figured out hitting "Enter" over and over doesn't speed up the loading of a web page.

2Kitty - Rules to live by.

Tammy - Non-dominant hand trying to *ehem* take care of bathroom business - hard.  Very, very hard.  Is there a shower close by?

I have an appt with the local ortho on Monday.  Yay!  I also got a copy of my med records from the Portland ortho, and although I know she did not say so during the appt,, the notes indicate she suspects an inflammed bursa, as well - which makes a whole lotta sense to me.  My hammies are definitely improving, that specific spot is not.  In fact, today it keeps switching from feeling like someone's sticking a hot knife in it to feeling like if I could just pop it, all the hot pressure would be release and life would return to normal.  . . . TMI??? 

Anyway, I'm doing core every day and upper body ST every other day in an effort to stave off totally and complete collapse into couch potato mode.  This morning was 30 min +/- at around 3:30 a.m.  . . . what else do you do when you're wide awake at 3:00??  And I can't even blame it on the cats this time!

Some of you probably saw this on FB, but here's my redneck sit/stand desk. 

Image may contain: people sitting, screen, office, table and indoor

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hiking Buddy did well with his 2-lb handweights

however

could NOT

get him to use ''SissyBoy'' as his Mantra

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - smart tasting!

Jay - well done on not throwing the computer out of the window.

Leslie - hey, I am all about whatever works - looks great to me!

Still trying to dig my way out of the 400 emails, voicemails, and faxes that came in during my 4 days in Phoenix. I sure wish there was someone there doing my job when I am gone.

3 miles again on the TM because I had a 7:30 breakfast meeting

I went to an assisted living facility this afternoon to meet with an 89yo lady who got my name from someone and wanted help interpreting a response to her VA benefits application.  I knew this was not something I would be charging for, and truthfully did not have the time for it, but part of what I do is help people, even those I know will not be paying clients, so I drove over there and met her.  Turns out she is mostly blind, and has, with the help of her daughters, been trying to get this surviving spouse pension for nearly 6 years.  I carefully read the letter from the VA, and had the pleasure of telling her that she had finally been approved for the pension, retroactive to 2012.  She burst into tears and I held her while she cried for a bit.  It had apparently been such a long struggle for her, she couldn't believe she had finally achieved her goal.  Now she will begin receiving about $1100/month to help pay the facility, and will also receive more than $60,000 in retroactive payments, just at the time when she was very nearly penniless.  What a blessing it was to be able to share in her good news!  I got a little teary myself.  When she tried to offer payment I waved her away.  She had done all the work, after all.  And besides, sometimes my clients give more to ME than I am giving to them.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Yep, Holly, that's sometimes the most rewarding part of what we do: helping someone else. In this case, you just interpreted the results because as you said, she'd done all the work (with help, but still). And that's why I take my laptop with me and check my e-mails a couple times a day. It doesn't take too much effort while I'm out, but it saves hours of "clean up" when I get back.

Leslie, whatever works, right? I have a sit/stand thing for my monitor and keyboard, but I sure wish it could turn or move side to side. Up and down is all it does.

31 minutes of pool running today. First real exercise I've gotten since the marathon. Felt good to be doing something again, but it'll be a while before my foot is up for running.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

That's awesome, Holly...thanks for sharing that story.  And, what I think is really cool, is that somebody knew you well enough to know that you would take the time to go out of your way and help a complete stranger...and then...you did!  There's, also, not a doubt in my mind that, if she had needed more help, you have done whatever it took to get her what she was trying to get.

I went 6 miles tonight.  My stupid hands are still frozen...and it wasn't even all that cold.

Okay--I'd better get going.  See ya!

spacityrunner

4.1 miles at work in 46 min. They sure do grow some big, long hills around here :-) Excellent running weather tonight, and oh my what a sunset. Don't know where the smoke is coming from, but it sure did make thing pretty tonight.

Trails Rock!

C-R

Hey all.

Well after my 1750 mile road trip I finally made it home. Got 4 easy miles today for recovery. Ugh.

Holly - that is simply awesome.

I like the office Leslie

I dislike ER's Tammy so thinking of yours.

Jay do you ever sleep?

Agreed twocat. I love using my runs to explore. Need to do this more.

Frozen hands worry me Mike with my Reynauds. Get some better mittens my man.

Here are a couple of pics from Umstead. Well worth the trip.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/