Masters Running

Flower City Half Marathon Race Report (Read 310 times)

What a way to go for an inaugural event. 1300 runners started at 7:30 in this race. The city and race organizers could not have outdone themselves with what they put on over the weekend. Anyone looking for a good, early spring half, I would highly recommend it.

I have never run 13.1 miles before. I have done training runs as high as 13, so I was pretty sure I could finish. This was still uncharted territory though. I did a triathlon the day before, so that put a little extra doubt into the mix. DW and I had decided we would run this together, this was her 50th birthday present to herself, so I was more than happy to be there for company, to carry gels, etc. My goals for this race were simple:

1. Finish
    2.Finish with DW
    3. Make it to work the next day
    4. If we break 2:00 Bonus!

The temp was around 50, gray and a very light drizzle. I don't think I could have asked for better weather. I wore gray Nike shorts with an orange stripe, orange Under Armor sleeveless shirt, white Nike hat, and My Asics. I never thought of myself as an armwarmer guy, but they would have been nice to have at the start. Maybe when I get faster.

We started nice and easy when the horn went off. I decided I would look at my heart rate, but never at the time as this was DW's race to run. My other strategy was to chunk the race into 5K segments. I figured I can always run a 5K so I would just go from 1 5K banner to the next. The first mile marker was across the street from Susan B. Anthony's house. There were women out front dressed as your favorite suffragests as we ran by. Susan B. looked amazing for a woman her age, especially since we would later run past her grave in the Mt. Hope Cemetery.

We wound our way through downtown, past Frontier Field, along Main Street and past the Convention Center (that has ties to our own CNYRunner) and then East on East Ave. We passed a woman cheering on East and holding up a sign that said Go Rebecca. DW asked if she could be Rebecca (not her real name) and the woman enthusiastically said sure!

From East we went back west on Park Ave. which is a fun street full of young professionals, nice shops, cafe's, etc. From there we went to Goodman Street and to the hilly portion of the race. A long steady uphill into Highland Park, then through the park and into Mount Hope Cemetery.

The Mount Hope Cemetery section was just amazing. This section started with a run up some cobblestones. The sky was almost foggy and a bagpipe was playing as we ran by. Very surreal! Apparently I sped up through the cemetery because DW commented if you want to go ahead just go. I wisely never let my shoulders get in front of hers the rest of the race.

The race then wound through the University of Rochester, over the Ford Street Bridge, then down Exchange Street and through the Corn Hill Neighborhood to the finish in front of the Blue Cross Arena. Gun time 2:12:40 good for 919/1295, DW finished 918 with the same time. Chip time 2:11:55. I finished 86/97 AG. It was slow, but I had fun. I had never run that distance before, and it was a great course that showed off a lot of our city. I will have to see if I want to take on any longer distances in the future.

www.flowercitychallenge.com

Your course description was enjoyable.  Try racing it and you won't notice so many things.   Glad you stayed with DW, ran a new distance and didn't suffer any damage from your tri.  That is pretty tough.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats to you and your DW on your first half!  I liked your course description, although the only part that sounded familiar was the University of Rochester, as we visited there last summer.  The bagpipes in the foggy cemetery was a nice touch.  Very kewl that you stayed with your DW and let her finish ahead of you!  I'm sure you got lots of spousal approval points for that one.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Well how sweet is this? Yes, Leslie, I believe they're called "Sweetie Points" and Craneium sure scored some with this race. And not having run the distance before isn't unusual, really. Very few marathon training plans have you running 26.2, right? Good job on finishing this well and sticking with "Rebecca" the whole way!
            Awesome Craneium and Mrs. Craneium---"Rebecca" for races! The course sounds great and I could visualize it quite well thanks to your report. Thanks for the Convention Center shout out. Indeed my father's architectural fee for that project helped pay for my first two years of college---that project and the Raines Family house on Panorama Trail. Go Rochester! Love Park Street too----especially the art festival there. Makes me want to run this race some day.

Very cool that you ran with your wife and decided to have fun and enjoy. 

Nice running Craneium and don't be scarce.

King of PhotoShop

Going into a race like this with the right attitude and expectations is very important.  You made up your mind you were going to help your wife and enjoy the experience and you did.  Great description.  A ton of interesting history in upstate NY so thanks for those views of it.

And nice going on your first Half, particularly after doing a tri the day before.  You are one tough guy.  Spareribs

Tramps

I was wondering how the tri + 1/2 plan would work out.  Very nicely, it seems.

This course sounds neat.  I'm not sure I've ever heard of a race going through a cemetery before.  I'm glad to hear Susie B. is doing so well.

Congrats on your first half and, of course, a PR!

Be safe. Be kind.

SteveP

It's kewl that you broke the race down to 5K segments. It sounds like a wonderful race. Congrats to you and Rebecca!!! Good call on finishing the same time DW did. We need fog for some of our races...

SteveP

So what did you do over the weekend?

Really enjoying reading your report.  I ran D'H's first half with him and it was a lot of fun.  Hope you flashed big smiles for the camera.  That will be a keeper.

You all ready to join the fanatics now? http://www.halffanatics.com/criteria.html

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
                    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Great to hear of so many familiar places.  makes me a little nostalgic for the old town.  Excellent run and great support for DW.  Sounds like it could become a destination race.  Still not sure about both in the same weekend, but you sure pulled it off.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Pictures now added:

DW and I going uphill to Highland Park. Sandi (Rebecca) in grey shirt, navy shorts, white visor; me in orange sleeveless shirt and white hat.

Running through Mt. Hope Cemetery

Big smiles, a completed new-long-distance PR, a time PR ... it's all good!  Nice job to you and Rebecca!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

awesome report, great photos and an experience of a lifetime for both you and "rebecca"............priceless!!

denise