Masters Running

Tuesdaily 5.22.18 (Read 38 times)

Kicking us off.   Rushing off to work, but good discussion yesterday about career, smells and good kids!

3.1 miles of mainly running and a few walking breaks.  Butt is doing a lot better.  Still being very slow and careful, but at least I feel like I'm doing something.     Have a greta Tuesday, y'all.

2 treadmill miles after work.  Slow running but no walking.    5.1 for the day.  I have evening stuff the next 2 nights, so no after work exercise.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

Morning KSA and everyone else.

Good start-off, KSA.

Monday’s workouts:
      Tramps (5 swampy morning miles)
      Quickadder (4 warm & fuzzy/swampy daybreak miles)
      Sees-the-Ground (4.5 trail miles)
      Henrun (indoor cycling + weights + 2 mile walk in warm sunshine)
      RunnerKSA (3 walking/jogging miles)
      Dave59 (4.26 miles with hill repeats on gravel road with smells)
      TammyGP (2.4 quick morning miles with the dogs)
      Wildchild (7 sproinky neighborhood dirt road miles)
      Holly (30 min of weights & core)
      Spacityrunner (5 hot, sweaty, hard night-time miles on HotSprings Mtn with the trail gang)
      Mike (9 miles, including 4X1.5 at strength pace)
      Evanflein (1.25 lunchtime miles on tired legs)

Sounds like a fun day, Henrun.

I also really like the smell of honeysuckle next to some nearby roads, and the ocean too.

I used to be a jaw-clencher, Dave, but not so much anymore, thank goodness. I hope the night guard works for you, and that the dentist will be able to help with your NP.

Good for your DS for pursuing Environmental Sciences, Holly. It is becoming a more important and in-demand field,

Nice house & yardwork cross-training, Bioguy.

Mike - read what Evanflein and Steve wrote.

I went 6.5 RW miles this morning in 54° temps, with p. cloudy skies. I wanted to do some quick-step drills, but I have a nagging pain on the bottom of my right big toe that got in the way a bit. It’s residual from when I dropped that peg board on my foot last week. I wonder if I broke/sprained/bruised something?

Have a greeta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

I have an extremely good sense of smell, which can be both a blessing and a curse. Most of the time, running smells are wonderful, with each season and location having its own unique smell. My least favorite running smell is road kill deer after a few days in the hot summer sun. Yech. 

Nitrous is the best! 

LOL. Are "whip-its" still a thing with kids? Or am I showing my age again?

(Of course, now I have Devo playing in my head; another sign of aging.)

My problem with dentists isn’t needles or drills, it’s gagging. I have a ridiculously sensitive gag reflex. (Part of the curse of having such good sense of smell is that even mildly bad smells can set me off gagging.) At the dentist, it takes all my concentration to breathe deeply and not gag at the slightest provocation. Needless to say, I’m not chatty in the chair. 

I tell new hires that the only people who don't make mistakes don't do anything. 

Like!  This is a big issue with college students, too. Some of them have been so beaten down by testing and coloring inside the lines that they often are unwilling to take risks and think creatively or independently.

Holly—good for your son.  That sounds very promising.

Mike—it’s perfectly human to feel relief because you dodged a bullet…even if someone else caught it. Don’t beat yourself up.

Erika—cool memory.  I’d heard that about connection between smells and memories, too.

After an awesome performance, Caps are not quite dead yet. Woo hoo!

Morning ride was rained out as the weather’s turned again, which is why I had time for this nonsense.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

Easy morning today. I went to the gym, ran a mile to warm-up and then some weights, but nothing too strenuous.

I signed up for a 5k on Memorial Day over in Ironton Ohio.  I got the race itch so I scratched. I ran this one last year. It's well attended and the course goes through a cemetery so if anything goes wrong you don't have far to go. No chance of placing in my current condition (slow and overweight) so no pressure to run super hard.

I came to grips with the dental work. I remind myself to be thankful for modern dentistry.  I'll keep my eyes shut and breathe deep.

BUT - Today is my eye exam. If they say I need cataract surgery or something similar, I will pass out right then and there. And I may not be able to be revived.

Caps won last night. The Stanley Cup is still possible. Although if they win game 7 to make it to the finals they may be too tired and beat up to do any good in the next round.

MTA: Completed the eye exam and no surgery or injections needed. Just some new glasses.

Tramps

Caps won last night. The Stanley Cup is still possible. Although if they win game 7 to make it to the finals they may be too tired and beat up to do any good in the next round.

Yeah, either way, Vegas has got to be loving this.

Be safe. Be kind.

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

Six easy humid miles today.  Yesterday the air smelled great.  Today everything was... moist.

Bill Wagnon / stl

C-R

Hey all. New job day 2. All's well so far and only have projects in Orlando, Vegas and Hawaii on my plate. Guess I will be running at airports as always. Now I can't complain about the weather though.

Got 7.5 this morning in some definite humidity. Not bad. Miles are climbing again for my BQ shot at Charlevoix. Let's see what happens.

DD received her semester grades and things didn't work out as well as she wanted. She struggles with ADHD and it seems to be overwhelming. After all the tears, we did manage to find a path forward. It requires changing schools and majors but at least there is another path. Life is a winding road with hills and valleys is what I told her. But it is hard to watch.

Glad there' running for you Karen. Be careful. Jay - sounds like you may have done a little harm to that toe but also lower extrmeties take time to heal especially if you can't avoid using them. Be careful too.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nothing like jumping in full tilt, Norm.  Would not mind a project in Hawaii.

3.1 lake loop miles for the first before work run in quite a while.  Slow, as expected, but i did manage to keep it below 10 (9:57, but who's counting).  Absolute IRC 50's, calm, and dry.  would love to be able to save some of it for later in the summer.

KSA--glad your butt is better.

Tramps--I apparetnly have the opposite problem with my nose.  Get a lot of "you can't smell that?" from DW.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I'm sorry, Norm.  It's hard to watch a kid struggle, but I'm glad you have a new path for her.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

C-R - my 15yo DD was diagnosed with ADHD last summer, when we got it checked out at DD's own request (after a suggestion from her guidance counselor).  After some experimentation, she has found a medication that helps her "stop tapping" through the school day and focus better.  This term she got straight A's for the first time in her life.  I never believed in meds before, but it really made a difference for my DD.

Good luck with the new job, btw.

Our server is STILL down at work.   The guy finally showed up with the part but had to leave to find a hardware store that had a special screwdriver.  Hopefully it will be up in the next hour or so.  I am running out of phone calls to make.

4.3 miles for me this morning in a very muggy 68 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Howdy Do - 45 min of core/ST after work yesterday, and 5 miles with 4 x 1/4 mile sprints after a 2-mile warm up.  Egads!  I haven't done those in a very long time and my legs are feeling a tad dead.

Jay - Watch out for pegboards!  It sounds like the one you have did a number on your toe. 

Posie Lady - How're things in your area with the flooding, etc?  I saw pics on the 'net.  

MikeE - I screwed up two cases pretty bad last year and it cost our firm $$.  Things were resolved satisfactorily (or I thought), so I was able to breath a sigh of relief . . . until of the clients called me last week and said there still appeared to be an issue with the transfer of her properties.  I've been looking into it, and apparently I didn't record some documents.  Starting January 1, California now charges an extra $75 fee - on top of the regular recording fees - to record documents involving real property.  What I have to record for this client to get things cleaned up will end up costing the firm over $1,200 in recording fees, not to mention I still can't bill my time.  I've had a knot in my stomach for days now, but will have to come clean once I know exactly what's going on.  So why am I telling you this? 'Cause everybody messes up.  It sucks, but it happens.

Unfortunately - or at times fortunately - I inherited my mom's sharp sense of smell (as well as her cold hands and feet).

Last night I started reading "Running Rewired" by Jay Dicharry.  I think there's going to be a lot of good information/exercises in the book that I will benefit from.  The very first ones I looked at were for posture.  I've always slouched, since I was in  my teens 'cause I was taller than most people in the class for a long time.  Poor posture has followed me through adulthood, and I've always known it was a bad factor in my running.  The exercises he lays out in the book actually look like they'll feel good!

Okay - Tons of work to do and not enough time to do it in, so I better get going.  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, NOW he says he replaced the part and it didn't fix it.  Maybe tomorrow they will have it figured out.  Just shoot me now.  This means I will be working most of the holiday weekend.  Joy,

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

I also really like the smell of honeysuckle next to some nearby roads, and the ocean too.

Have a greeta Tuesday!

Jay

Honeysuckle and ocean smells are things we don't get here in the Rockies, unfortunately.   The nicest smells around here are pine and juniper.  And the Coors brewery if you're running in Golden... 

Jay, is "greeta" the new "greta"?

Norm, good luck with the new job, and best wishes to your DD on finding her path.

Gorgeous spring day here, and I did a 10 mile trail run in Centennial Cone Park.  Mid 60s and sunny, with no humidity. Perfect!  I'm ramping up my mileage again, since I'm between 50k races - I've recovered from the first, and need a few high mileage weeks before the second one.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

..90-min in 80-degrees...........................had to wring out my socks..........

humidity was Bad,

even for here

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I think I'll skip today, too.

I didn't go for a run yesterday because I felt a little feverish and blah; the girl stayed home from school. I feel a bit better today but not well. I think I could go running, but these last couple weeks of >20 miles have trained me to not feel so anxiety-ridden if I miss a day or three! Also, it's "cold" and windy here. If it were pleasantly warm I'd go for a run.

Henrun; my achilles is almost back to normal (at least where it was before I hurt it a couple weeks ago). You said you're doing rehab, I found that rolling it on a wooden rolling pin helped a bit (both hands and other foot on floor, roll back and forth on the rolling pin 20-50X). Hurts like crazy if it's still inflamed, but does seem to help recover faster. Mine was so bad that I could not DO any eccentric heel drops for 3-4 days because it hurts so bad that I couldn't support my weight.

Anyone want to get on the record books for a FKT? The Mono Lake loop is 41.7 miles, and the FKT is about 9 hours.  Very flat, but at 6400' and some sandy stretches. Wind might be a problem, depending on the day. I might give it a shot later in the summer. http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/1169/mono-lake-loop-run-ca

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying