Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 1.5.18 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Thursday’s workouts:
    Henrun & Marj (1 mile run)
    Tramps (stretching & exercise)
    RunnerKSA (3.1 frigid morning miles in 11° with a north wind + 2.5 afternoon miles in 22° temps)
    Jlynne (3 TM miles at the gym + 30 min on the elliptical + 30 min of weights & core)
    Quickadder (EZ 5.1 miles with DD in low 20s temps)
    Mike (7 EZ pre-surgery TM miles)
    Dave59 (4 late-morning park miles in 18° temps with wind gusts)
    Bioguy (4 paved trail miles in some cold and snow)
    Pfriese (9 miles including 6d at tempo pace)
    C-R (4 miles in windy 5° with hillage + 20 air squats at the bottom of each hill repeat)
    Falconfixer (5.2 EZ lunchtime miles in blowing snow + 4.3 TM miles)
    Twocat (20 insane TM miles with the Lord Of The Rings Two Towers)
    Surly Bill (6.3 miles in mid-60s temps)
    Analogkid (7.5 EZ evening miles)
    Evanflein (5.4 sundown miles in 10° temps)

Congrats on successful surgery, Mike. Glad that’s done, eh?

Interesting job concept, Fatozzig. Tomwhite is right again: Holly gets the Line Of The Day!

How cool that Deeze may get to work with Dr. Robin!

The snow started at 7 yesterday morning, and kept coming all day, and we closed the office for the day. With all the wind/drifting, it’s hard to tell how much we got, but 12” is as good a guess as any. I finally went out to snow blow and shovel at about 5PM, and it wasn’t too bad, except that new snow was already drifting over the areas I did first by the time I finished. I have to do some touch-up this morning, and will also have to do some serious roof raking later today. There was some scarily-serious flooding along our salt marsh behind the beach at high tide, and the Fire Dept. had to do some rescues of people trapped in their flooded homes. Not good. The temps will be dropping from the current high of 16 all day today, and the winds are expected to remain at 20-25 mph through tomorrow. We're very glad that we haven't lost power, so far. I don’t expect to be able to get out for a regular workout till Sunday, depending on road conditions. So it goes.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Jay - glad to hear you kept your power.  we did also, as did our families in NH and ME. - getting also about 12+" of snow.  The water surges along the coast were frightening.  Far too much cross-training in clearing the car and too cold for snow-shoeing. We'll face the elements in a couple of hours for walking.  Hopefully, the sidewalks will have been cleared.  stay warm and happy runs to those with better weather!

marj

Tramps

Glad to hear the Yankees made out okay.  That's still quite a storm

Mike--good thing you got this taken care of.

5 moonlit miles today. Quite pretty out there. About 9F, legit chilly, but only a light wind, so it was fine. It was cold enough that our little 1+ inch of snow was grippy, not slippy, if you know what I mean.The extended nature of this cold snap is bound to start taking a toll around here, especially as the coldest weather hits this weekend. We don't dig for frost heaves when building, pipes are not buried that deep, insulation is moderate, etc. So far, so good; but we're keeping our fingers crossed

Stay warm out there!

Be safe. Be kind.

Be safe and warm, all.  It is a terrible weather system.

2.6 this morning.  It was better- 17 and cloudy with no wind.  No time for more.     Off to get ready for work.

2 miles on my treadmill after work to get caught up on the news.    4.6 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good morning everyone. I'm glad all you folks on the East Coast are okay and still have power. The national news had several clips from the storm. Pretty scary stuff - dumpsters floating down the street - in January?!

Twocat - you are one crazy dude. I can't imagine running half that far on a treadmill!

I'm glad they got all of the cancer cells Mike. As for that scar, I'm sure you can come up with a good story (Remember that bar fight after the Vikings game? What a crazy night that was

It was only -3° here this morning. And off to the Y just one more time this week. Luckily, Fridays are less busy and I was able to keep a treadmill for longer than 30 minutes. 6 miles, then 15 minutes with a medicine ball doing bridges, squats and planks.

Hey Tramps - that "Norsemen" series on Netflix is hilarious! Kind of like Monty Python meets The Vikings. Even DH liked it! We watched 3 last night and will watch the rest this weekend.

Good luck to those of you dealing with snow removal and frozen pipes today. Stay warm!

...to Celebrate twocat's Apparently Losing His Mind,

we all chipped in

and

bought you a Running Song-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0uR2cNaqdE

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Hey Tramps - that "Norsemen" series on Netflix is hilarious! Kind of like Monty Python meets The Vikings. Even DH liked it! We watched 3 last night and will watch the rest this weekend.

Glad you liked it. I love the low-key delivery of some of those lines and the absurd juxtaposition of contemporary thought with the 8th (?) century premise. A great example of how good writing trumps big budget.

Be safe. Be kind.

Glad you liked it. I love the low-key delivery of some of those lines and the absurd juxtaposition of contemporary thought with the 8th (?) century premise. A great example of how good writing trumps big budget.

The banter on whether two of the characters had "chemistry" had me laughing out loud!  And we could all use a few good belly laughs these days, right?

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

The banter on whether two of the characters had "chemistry" had me laughing out loud!  And we could all use a few good belly laughs these days, right?

Tried watching it last night, but Netflix started buffering about halfway through and didn't finish.  Definitely agree with the Monty reference.  Haven't watched either GOT or Vikings, but am guessing that won't affect my enjoyment of this.  Not sure it's DW's cup of tea, but what i saw i really liked.

Wimped out on a run yesterday when I slept late on my snow day, only to discover that the snowpocolypse was off to a slow start and decided I'd like a cup of coffee more.  At least a little cross-training later in the day with the eventual 12-15" we ended up with.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

0° here with -4° windchill.

I went to the gym and ran 3.5 on the treadmill. After a mile warm-up  I did 5 x .25 at a quicker pace followed by .25 slower to recover.  It wasn't anything planned. Just an idea that popped into my head during the opening mile.

Work is up and down. Today is "full crappy" mode.  There are too many project managers and they all want to know "how long this will take".  They don't like it when I answer, "How do I know?"  or "I can let you know after I finish."  

On top of that, I am supposed to be managing 2 people. Keeping them busy, checking their work, doing the annual performance reviews, and now I am supposed to be setting team and individual goals.   I had to attend a S.M.A.R.T. goal setting class and then a class on how to add the goals to our human resources software.   All my "team" wants to do is work in peace and survive the year.

OK, that's going on my binge list!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

...to Celebrate twocat's Apparently Losing His Mind,

we all chipped in

and

bought you a Running Song-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0uR2cNaqdE

===========

........cold-degrees

50-min HH with hills

..........got my sock on for THE FIRST TIME since surgery............ohboyohboy

...............good Running to ya...............Small Victories.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

I should know better by now than to click on one of TomWhite's song links....

Jay and Marj and Kevin - sounds like a good day to put on your fuzzy pants and stay in....

We bought another car today, this time for DS.  One of our probate estates was selling a 2004 Chevy Cavalier with only 16,000 miles on it for $2,050.  I couldn't pass that up, as DS is currently commuting 30 minutes each way to school and to his job in a 1997 Ford Explorer that is quite the gas guzzler.  It needed a new battery but otherwise seems in great shape.  I personally have never owned a car with that few miles - my 2012 Hyndai is the newest car I have had, purchased in 2014 with 26,000 miles on it.  We will now sell the Ford Explorer to recoup some of the purchase price of the Chevy.

-2 here this morning.  Yesterday was the first day back to school for the kids, but today they decided to cancel due to the cold.  I certainly wasn't in the mood to get out and run in it.  Even my (garage where the TM is) felt too cold.  However, I got a few miles in.

5 miles total, plus about 30 minutes weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Good luck Jay. Hope it get's better on the coast.

What a deal Holly.

tom - haha

I call those serene runs Tramps.

Another day of more miles than degrees. 4 at lunch and 3 degrees. But it was sunny. Can't get the layering right. I was sweating up a storm. Short sleeve tech shirt, 1/4 zip tech and jacket. I think it has to do with head covering. I was wearing a think "bank robber" cover (not sure what the real name is) and a sock hat. No goggles today just shades. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Kind of enjoying it out there. BTW - I am a huge fan of wool socks.

Be safe and warm East Coasters. Its going to be cold this weekend.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Tramps

If you needed more proof that it's kinda cold....

"Iguanas are falling out of trees in South Florida because of the coldBut the “raining iguanas” are not necessarily dead. They can become mobile again once they thaw out a bit."

I think the same applies to runners:  Not necessarily dead; just thaw them out.

Be safe. Be kind.