Masters Running

Tuesday 9/29 Runs and obviously rests .... (Read 442 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Seeing as no one has started yet today - we must all be resting??

Today is our silver wedding anniversary.    We took the cruise to  Alaska as an early gift to ourselves.   We are not doing anything today.   He leaves tomorrow after work to hunt up north and has lots to do, so I'll bring home dinner after Tone Zone tonight.   No run this morning.   I got up to go but the wind was still howling at 30 mph and rain too, so I said forget that and went back to bed.

Yesterday I was checking our bank account and saw some airline tickets purchased for Paris - $1276!!   I sent hubby an e-mail, all the while knowing that he has NO desire whatsover to go overseas.   "Honey, are you planning on taking me to Paris for our anniversary, because if not, our debit card has been compromised."   He replied that he is not taking me there .... but sure wishes he had thought of that!   (ya right).   

Happy TwosDay!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Congrats on the anniversary, Mary.  So that means you were married at the age of 16 or so?

12 easy miles - last medium distance run before marathon Saturday.

I'm still debating whether I want to spin on Friday or not.  Meh.

Slo

Mary

A HUGE congratulations on your 25th !!!!!!

When I was in Paris I opted out of the Lourve Musem tour to go see Jim Morrisons grave site. I was 18 yrs old and in the Army. Priorities have changed a little since then.

No run yet. Shin still hurts. Hit the pool for a very nice swim and that helped loosen up some joints.

Congrats Mary!  DW and I had our Silver Anniversary this last April.  Time flies.

Time did not fly on my run this morning.  3.5 recovery paced miles at 10:06 pace.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Mary.. Happy Silver! A compromised bank account is not a good present!

Nerve pain in knee/leg getting out of bed. A litttle messaging and stretching and it went away .. ouch!
            2 miles with Tory and Sadie in a perfect 50° then 6 pain free miles in 46:29 (7:45 pace, AHR 157, max 164) fastest mile 7:16, slowest 7:56.  I'll take it since I couldn't even walk an hour earlier!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning, folks.  after 5 days away, I found myself well more than a week behind in reading the dailies.  How does that happen?  

Since I doubt I'll be able to give them all the proper reading, I guess I'll start fresh.  I will say that I did read ALL the race reports and in the interest of not leaving anyone out, I will say that they were ALL EXTREMELY INSPIRATIONAL.  Not trying to be snide--I'm always impressed by the distances and/or times covered by all you guys.

Some small running while in LA--so now I at least have a CA route on my garmin

Happy Aniversary to Mary and DH.  I agree--tickets to Paris are only good if they're yours.  hope it gets fixed quick.

Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Happy anniversary, Mary.  Sorry about the debit theft.  Ouch.

It's fun to see people coming up on their marathons.  Go PBJ! ...and PDR...and WRFB...and CNY...and mainerunnah...and Tet...and divechief...and Henry and Marj's 1/2 and more! 

Perch--be careful. 

Stumpy--I know what you mean.  I often don't get to comment but just skimming through the posts is pretty inspiring.

Some tempo mileage today:

2 mile warmup

2x3 @ 7:13 with full recovery walk in between

2 mile cool-down

Very nice 52F this morning, the coolest of the season so far.  I love this time of year.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning everyone. Happy 25th Mary! Doesn't time fly when you're having fun?? It sounds like you have the weather that was here yesterday. The rain cleared up, but it was only 45° with 30 mph winds this morning. 6 miles at a 9:51 pace. On the streets where I was running into the wind, I felt like I was going in slo-mo!

Slo - Belated congratulations on your marathon. You may have been unhappy with your time, but a lot of us can only dream of running a full marathon at that pace. Your report was fantastic. I hope your shin heals quickly. When's your next race?

Nice 20 miler for dg last weekend too. You have come a long way, baby! All that hard training is paying off, that's for sure.

Welcome back Larry. Great to see you posting again. You too, Kevin!

Eliz - there are SOOO many kids out with the flu at the school where I work. Right now, it's making its way through the football team. The head coach is having a fit - big game Friday night. I heard that it takes at least three days to feel better so I hope you're on the mend.

Perch - glad that there was nothing seriously wrong with your knee and you were able to run this morning.

My DIL had some labor pains last night and thought she might need to go to the hospital, but they went away. She's scheduled to be induced on October 14th at Children's Hospital in Milwaukee, so keep your fingers crossed that little Leo doesn't decide to arrive early. (If he's like his father, that won't be a problem )

Have a great day good people.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mary – Happy Anniversary!

Jlynne - thanks for the update - I was wondering how little Leo was doing. 

I got up at 4:00 am with the intention of doing my scheduled workout of 8 x 800 (1:30 recoveries) before DS’ ortho appt., but I knew 5 minutes into the run that it wasn’t going to happen today.  My legs are still toast from Sunday’s LR, and between a blister on my pinky toe and a tender muscle in my left groin (both from the LR as well), my gait was off.  I couldn’t even drum up a decent strider, so I settled for 6.25 slow and easy miles at recovery pace (10:31 ave).

DD’s last soccer game last night was spectacular.  The kids played marvelously, and at the end of the game neither team had scored.  This was a tournament game, so we played another quarter.  No one scored.  So we played another quarter.  No one scored.  Now we were into Sudden Death, and the senior referees began gathering at the side of the field.  No one could remember a tournament game in this division (7-8yo) going this long.  The tension was high, and the kids could barely contain themselves, they were so excited, as were the parents, on their feet and screaming at every close call.  Finally, at the end of the 7th quarter, a kid on the other team kicked a spectacular shot from the center line that sailed over our goalie’s head.  Even though we lost, both teams and all the parents were so excited over the game that the kids were not disappointed.  Plus, I had brought homemade cookies.    An excellent way to end the season.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

good morning!

congratulations & happy 25th Mary!!    yikes.   glad you caught that.  Do you have any idea how it happened?

PBJ good luck Saturday.  I say no spinning but what do I know?   (not very much)

Slo_hand, I hope you get to go back.    Have you figured out what is wrong with your shin?

Nice recovery Byll.     (that must have been tortuous for you!)

Nice run Perch!  ...  and, what Tramps said.   pay attention to it today.

welcome back Kevin!    Have you heard from DD yet?

Tramps, it sounds like all is well after your 5KLR.

thanks Jlynne :-).    seeing any progress (I'm usually injured too regularly to experience it) is catching me by surprise!     You were zippy in the wind this morning.  I had that same feeling... Alice in Wonderland running in place.

the forecase was for rain & wind... I wasn't thrilled but this has been the perfect summer for running, so decided I couldn't complain.   woke up, rain forecast was gone, just wind.    The weather didn't watch the weather channel, so it was raining, but not very hard.  50F, 20 mph winds w/ gusts up to 30.  Still not too bad, the last mile was the worst.  plan was for 9 miles at base pace, did 9.25 @ 10:06.  the miles were pretty even besides the wind factor.    I don't know if I recommend wet nike frees without socks.  ;-)

mta, Holly, I was wondering about you while I was typing this.   oh, be careful.  

besides that, wtg,  &  tell DD good job!

Belated kudos to Deb and nono for their weekend runs--very exciting!

And to you "veterans" who had triumphs, ala Holly, Perch, et al.  (and gardengirl Erika!)

SLO, I'll have to read your report--Quad Cities is such a fun race, I love the way the school kids (bands, cheerleaders) turn out along the course.  I remember the last 4 miles or so --isn't it an out and back?--being long and hot (a few years ago, maybe '07). 

Good Luck with the race, Mari, and thanks for being a RD.  What would we do without them?

Oh Oh, Ribs and Riblet batching it up......

and ditto what Tramps wrote: "It's fun to see people coming up on their marathons.  Go PBJ! ...and PDR...and WRFB...and CNY...and mainerunnah...and Tet...and divechief...and Henry and Marj's 1/2 and more!"

Jlynne, keep us posted on Leo's well-being.

Glad to see you Kevin!  And hello TIm, good luck with your next marathon.

Hi and howdy, RCG and Ralph.  Wish I could be with you, what fun. 

Mary, you're really calm over the debit card--you might want to file a police report.  They help in cases of identity theft.  HAppy Anniversary!

Our dog sitter runs a pet shop downtown and while we're in the Cities for the Medtronic Heroes Bash, she's going to take Frank to the store to meet and greet the customers.  He'll get paid in gourmet baked dog biscuits.

He liked the photos of Tag.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
                        Slo

Slo_hand, I hope you get to go back.    Have you figured out what is wrong with your shin?

Thanks dg.

Shin Splint is a pretty generic term and that's what I'm calling it. It's much better today but still can not run.  What throws me off is how sudden it came on.....almost like someone threw a light switch.

It throbbed later in the day and thru the night. By late morining (Mon)  I was walking fine and today I just get an occasional twinge although I was limping slightly immeadiatly after stepping out of bed. I'm sure it's just inflammation.

TammyinGP

good morning! I think it's been a few days since I posted. Not much happening here. Still running some - around 20 mpw, but as I'm not training for anything for the moment, if I miss a few runs here or there or don't lengthen out the distance of my long runs, it's all okay. Just enjoying the temporary calmness of "run when I want, for however long I want ". . .

I do have a 10K race in a couple wks though and then another couple races in November, but I'm just running them for fun.

I've been starting to think of what marathon(s) I want to do next year and I was planning on The Avenue of the Giants in early May. I've run two HM's there and love the course, the scenery, the weather, etc. but then Mariposai mentioned the Newport Marathon as one she's planning on running (over at KR) and that got me thinking of perhaps doing that one instead. That's in early June, so also a good time of the year for running that distance as Newport should still be cool then.  Anyone run that one before? I pulled up the website and the course looks spectacular.

Today we dropped about 25 degrees in temps from yesterday and should only be in the mid 60's with off and on light rain. I'm planning on a run after work while DS is at football practice and I'm actually looking forward to a nice relaxing run in the cool temps.

Happy Anniversary Mary!   and yikes on the debit card theft! I'd be pretty frantic about it . . . although they never would have gotten away with a debit on my account for that much! LOL

Enjoy the day everyone!

Tammy

Mariposai

Butterfly hugs to Eliz...I hope you are feeling better dearest one.

Happy Day to Mary. Silver Anniversary is a huge accomplishment.

It is so good to see Timbo running well and very happy.

10 miles today with 8x800m at about 8:15ish with 400m intervals. The calculator called for 7:55- 8:00m/m pace but the legs did not want to move faster, of course the calculator does not know that I just ran 21 miles on Saturday

Just just love that Aamos. She is my idol, ya know.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Yeah, a debit draft that large would've kicked my overdraft protection into action, with a $20 surcharge for that! Good luck getting that cleared up Mary. Congratulations on 25 years for you and DH!

Nice run for Mariposai today, can't wait for her marathon!! I want all the details, you know...

Holly, what a great way to end the season! Don't the parents just get totally caught up in it? I always find that amazing... Those shootouts are harder on the parents than the players, IMO.

Sounds like some very windy conditions out there... I'd do like Mary and say forget it, and go back to bed! After this next marathon I'll be "race-less" for several months. That's an odd thing... not sure what to do with myself. But I do think a break is in order, and I'll be running like Tammy for awhile. Sort of looking forward to it, and a little scary too. I've had the comfort of a schedule for so long (even though it's self-imposed) that the thought of going without is a little strange. I do plan on getting back to the weight room, and maybe taking most of December off running completely.

I was so tired yesterday that I felt a total rest day was in order. It seems to have worked, cuz today I feel full of beans! It's clear, sunny and bright outside, even if a little chilly (22°F on the drive in to work today). We could see highs of 45 today, but it'll just be low-to-mid 30's when I RAL. Looking for 4-5 miles, will try to run easy.

Hi Aamos!!