Masters Running

Sunday - 5/29/16 (Read 30 times)

Dave59

Just a quick start-up of the daily.  Ran 2 on the River Trail this morning. Went to see if it was dried out.  It is not.  I got muddy.

See you later.

For the baseball fans who also own dogs. Today's Speed Bump cartoon.

http://assets.amuniversal.com/9fdff5f0025101345ffe005056a9545d

Sayhey! MM#130

Love the funnies Dave, thanks.

Much nicer run today, just 10 and all under 80 degrees.

And that's 2 weeks under 50 miles in a row.

Don't you love long weekends?  (And props to Jlynne, Deez and or anyone else who is/may be working!)

love you too Leslie!

Would love to see a pic of DD in the dress!

Anyone having a traditional cook out?

Chick lit book:  just finished who do you love [sic] , good beach read.  The guy is from a poor neighborhood in Philly and is a runner.  Interesting to read novel in which running plays a part.  And I read Onice a Runner.  Not a fan; thought the writing style was forced and turgid.

Now have The Hours Count, a novel about Ethel Rosenberg.  I've read a fair bit about the Rosenbergs, including Doctorow's novel, so hoping this will impress.  Jillian Cantor wrote it.   The narrator has an autistic child, so I'm already hooked.

Don't want to jinx what I'm doing so won't mention it.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Afternoon Dave and Amy and all to follow!

My legs are still very tired and my back-of-the-knee pain is still there, so I opted to quit at 10 miles today and will call that a LR.

Then I spent 45 minutes weeding the vegetable garden, and went out to lunch with the in-laws at Red Lobster.

This afternoon will be shoe-shopping with DD to find sandals for the dress, and then slicing and dicing and blanching veggies for the wedding's veggie platter.  Tomorrow I will make two crockpots with green beans (Thanks, Kevin for the recipe ideas), two crockpots of turkey breast, and the fruit dip (I do not have to bring the fruit).  I have to be there at noon tomorrow to help set up, and the wedding is at 3pm, so pretty much the day is devoted to it.  The bride-to-be wanted me to come over to the church when it is available at 8pm tonight to scout out the room set-up, but honestly, while I am happy to help, I do have houseguests and cannot devote my entire weekend to her wedding.  She has a daughter and 4 grown granddaughters helping her, so I am confident all will be well.  I feel a little bad that my in-laws' visit is sort of dragged into the wedding and prep, but they seem happy enough to come along and join the party.

Additionally, I need to try to get a few hours of work done (office work).  Since I took 2 days off for Green Bay and will take this Friday off (my other MIL is coming in from CA) and tomorrow is a holiday, I am already hopelessly behind on some big projects with due dates this week and next.  Ah well, there's just never enough time, is there?

Hope the rest of you are having fun holiday weekends!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evan, you've had quite the Michigan experience.  You started with two jewels, Mackinac Island and SteveP.  Then your second sub 4 marathon (Bayshore in beautiful Traverse City) in 6 days with 2nd in AG.  Also more Steve P and Tag.

Nice long runs for fatozzig and Aamos.

This morning, it was about 70°, there was a light wind, and it was humid.  I did 5 miles at an 11:06 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Additionally, I need to try to get a few hours of work done (office work).  Since I took 2 days off for Green Bay and will take this Friday off (my other MIL is coming in from CA) and tomorrow is a holiday, I am already hopelessly behind on some big projects with due dates this week and next.  Ah well, there's just never enough time, is there?

Holly, your schedule always makes me incredibly tired  Good luck with shoe shopping and the wedding. You are so nice to help with all of the planning and prep work. I remember when my sons were around 13 and we'd have to go shopping for shoes, school clothes or whatever. Not a real good time.

Gotta agree Tom. Michigan is one beautiful state. Hope Erika made it home safely.

Amy - I'm just finishing "When Breath Becomes Air." Had to keep a box of tissue close by. How sad to lose such an inspiration. I think my favorite quote from the book was something about knowing when to let go of a loved one who is brain dead. Something like "when there's no place for the scalpel, words are a doctor's only tool." Reminded me a lot of my sister's death...   Anyway, I needed something light to read next so I picked up "The 100 Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared." The caption said that this playful book will remind you to live life to the fullest.

And speaking of living life to the fullest, I cherry-picked a local race this morning and finished 2nd in the women's 60 and over category. So there were only 3 other women besides me, right? 39:02 in hot, humid conditions and ran the whole race with my DS#1. That part was the absolute best

Happy Sunday everyone!

Marathon Maniac #957

And speaking of living life to the fullest, I cherry-picked a local race this morning and finished 2nd in the women's 60 and over category. So there were only 3 other women besides me, right? 39:02 in hot, humid conditions and ran the whole race with my DS#1. That part was the absolute best

Sweet!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...howdy...

mid-80's here

........just in from a 45-min HH  work-out

=============

since

I managed to get Poisoned in knoxville

by the Worst AND Most Over-Priced Nacho's

I've ever eaten,

we're cooking Veggie Baked Beans and Cole Slaw for me

and

Hamburgers for Pickles

.................back to knxville tomorrow,,,,,,,,,,,,,good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

evan, you've had quite the Michigan experience.  You started with two jewels, Mackinac Island and SteveP.  

Can't vouch for Mackinac, but so true about Steve.

Hope they work (if you use them), Holly.  No one else in the family likes them, so I'll have to live vicariously through your cooking.  And maybe hit the local BBQ place tomorrow night

Haven't jinxed them so far, Amy.

This finishing 2nd in AGs seems to be very popular in the upper mid-west.  Nice work, Jeanne!

About 3.5 miles for me this morning, for my first Maine run of t he season.  It seems that there was some sort of geological upheaval over the winter, as the big hill  at the start seems to have gotten many feet taller and longer   We've gotten most of the opening up done, so the rainy day coming tomorrow means we get to relax a little.  Tonight a nice piece of swordfish and some aspargras on the grill for dinner.  Yum.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Finally.

Stumps, you always make me laugh (the hill).

Thanks for the book recommendation, Jlynne.  Way to race!

Holly, unbelievable.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Jlynne congratulations! As my friend told me, you do not have to beat everyone, just those that show up! Relish your hardware.

Aamosy we sort of have (had) a traditional cookout. Tomorrow this little tropical depression is supposed to visit us in CT. So I did ribs today. Pretty dang good, if I do say so myself! For tomorrow a chicken is brining. But it will have to roast in the oven.

Holly S. sounds like you have a lot of cooking on your platter. So to speak. 

Today I ran 7 miles. I had intended to do 6, but the Senoria anklet came off and I did not notice for about a third of a mile. So I went back to get it and then back to where I was. The additional 2/3 of a mile popped the run into 7 mile mark. As to the anklet, rather than post here my travels with it, I have created a topic in the Gears and Wear forum at https://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/748abb9edc8842ee8cce99e6a1415184/resume#focus.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Thanks for the book recommendations Amy & Jlynne. I have a book to finish tonight since it is overdue.  It is a collection of short stories called Runaway  by Alice Munro.  It’s been good so far.

I am guess that the Red Sox won, yeah Amy & Stumpy.   Holly, you have such a lot going on and I am glad you said “No” to the church set-up deal. Goodness, you are doing a tremendous amount of work for someone else’s wedding.  Tom, you keep logging those miles at paces that I’d be happy to have. Jlynne, way to go in the race today, nice 2nd place for you. You deserve it! Hot and humid is not fun.  Sorry about the poison food tw,  What are veggie baked beans?

I am sitting here watching a beautiful sunset tonight. It’s been a day without rain, yeah!  I went shopping for more plants after church.  Picked up a flat of impatiens and some Gerbera Daisies along with a bunch of perennials.  I tried to lift a 40 pound bag of Miracle Grow and almost needed to ask for help but managed just fine.  Putting it on the bottom of the card was not too smart thought. When I was wrestling it into the car a nice lady came over and offered to help me.  I felt like the old grandma (I guess I am) but managed all by myself.  Reality is, I really need to get to the gym for strength training.  I signed up for yoga at 8am tomorrow, actually just remembered that. Twocat, can you return your ankle bracelet?  It doesn't sound like it's designed very well.

Oh, I did run around the lake before church in IRC, 5 miles in about an hour.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich